Question on ILS/LOC 33 for KFZY

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by rookie1255, Jul 10, 2019.

1. rookie1255

rookie1255 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    rookie1255
    The note on the plate says NA for using SYR Vortac when southbound on V29. If this is the case then how can I practice full approaches coming from the north? There are no other IAFs.

Thanks for the responses.

2. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    You would get radar vectors from ATC.

3. RussR

RussR Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    Short answer? You can't. But it's understandable - look at the degree of turn required from V29 - literally 359 degrees. How would you even do that?

But if you really want to practice the full procedure, get yourself to the south of the SYR VORTAC somehow (vectors, painful airway routing, whatever), and do it from there.

You don't have to get very far south of the SYR VORTAC to make that work, really any distance will do.

4. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    Sure you can, just approach the IAF off the airway. Fly south off set from the VOR then intercept and finish the approach.

5. RussR

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    Yeah, I'll buy that. I was inferring from the way the question was worded that the OP wanted to stay on airways.

Grum.Man likes this.
  6. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    @rookie1255

If that's the case just ask for and get approval for a Hold South of SYR. I'd pick on the 197 radial and do a Tear Drop Entry. That would be a good 'whatever' in your "(vectors, painful airway routing, whatever)" above. Lots of Approaches have Arrival Holds Charted to accomplish just this and allow the Controller to just say 'as published' instead of the whole holding spiel. Those are usually on RNAV Approaches though, where the intercept is more than 90 degrees and Military TACAN Approaches with IAF's that begin on a DME Arc

7. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    As posted, there are a number of ways to do this. Other than VTF, the point is only to get to SYR via a route which does not involve V29 southbound and which ATC won't balk at being too sharp.

8. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Or, what would you do if you were lost comm and had filed V29 SYR? Assuming you didn't have RNAV and didn't know what altitudes and speed restrictions might apply to SYR for an unpublished hold, you could file a route via V29 SYR V483 WACOR Direct. Now, you might have a bit of trouble (I did) figuring out the distance to WACOR from SYR, but you can see the distance camouflaged by the VOR circle if you squint hard. It's seven DME. After WACOR, you'd go direct to the IAF (SYR) and just make your approach. I would utilize the holding pattern at WACOR for making my turn around.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. MuseChaser

MuseChaser Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MuseChaser
    Make sense. Distance to WACOR from SYR not indicated directly, but rather calculated by subtracting indicated 7nm distance from LYSAN to WACOR from indicated total/running 14nm distance from SYR to LYSAN, yes? Just asking to make sure I'm not missing anything..

10. RussR

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    No, the 7 DME to WACOR is actually depicted, it's just overlapped by the SYR Class C light blue shading. Look right under the "2" in the longitude for WACOR.

MuseChaser likes this.
  11. MuseChaser

MuseChaser Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MuseChaser
    Wooof.. that's hard to see. Took me a LONG time to find it, even with your very specific hint. Looked more like just a slight thickening of the Class C outline. Once you see it, it's easy to see. Dang... and thanks.

12. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    I swear this same question was asked not too long on here.
    (I guess it was SYR -> KART)

13. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Yeah. And that pesky ol' unusable radials thang is rearing it's ugly head again. Near as I can tell V29 is unusable between PAGER and SYR unless ya gots RNAV

14. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Good question on the Lost Comm. If your last Clearance received was ...V29 SYR KFZY, you'd be in AIM 6-4-1 a. territory. FAR 91.185 itself isn't going to cover it. The WACOR thing might be a choice to make. If my last assigned altitude was 3700 or above I'd probably do a roll your own holding pattern as I described above in post #6

15. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Which is why, I suppose, the FAA recommends IFR flights should be planned from the perspective of a possible comm failure at any point.