Question about making fun of people on guard

Monitoring guard wasn't a thing when I went through my PPL training, and it wasn't THAT long ago.
To the best of my recollection, it became a notam to monitor guard (if able) right after 9/11.

Yes, saying "Transmitting on guard" like a professional is just insufferable compared to a snarky call such as you endorse.

Who cares.

If you think what makes you a professional is how you let someone know you're on guard, that's not a good sign lol

I'd say taking a job at a low paying regional says less of someone's professionalism than telling someone "guaard" lol

I'd say taking a job at a low paying regional says less of someone's professionalism than telling someone "guaard" lol
Not if ones goal is to get to a major. I've got no problem with some young guy trying to pay their dues at a regional.

I flew between KY NC ME and back to KY last week and a half. I actually heard more of "XXXX if you can hear contact XX center/approach on freq XXX.XX" than anything else in those 20 hrs. I was surprised how many of those occurred. Some of them long enough/repeated that you'd think the plane would need to squawk 7600. Some airlines, some a N#. I actually had to turn the radio down a few times as I needed to be listening to other things. There were a couple of other brief transmissions, but none of the obnoxious ones. A couple of "check guard" types.

I flew between KY NC ME and back to KY last week and a half. I actually heard more of "XXXX if you can hear contact XX center/approach on freq XXX.XX" than anything else in those 20 hrs. I was surprised how many of those occurred. Some of them long enough/repeated that you'd think the plane would need to squawk 7600. Some airlines, some a N#. I actually had to turn the radio down a few times as I needed to be listening to other things. There were a couple of other brief transmissions, but none of the obnoxious ones. A couple of "check guard" types.
Guard is big for frequency mishaps.
The 7600 thing is not realistic, as often the airplane never heard a handoff and still believes they are in contact. The issue is sometime resolved through company ACARS.

To the best of my recollection, it became a notam to monitor guard (if able) right after 9/11.
FDC 4/4386 - SPECIAL NOTICE... NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 19 MAY 14:16

Monitoring guard wasn't a thing when I went through my PPL training, and it wasn't THAT long ago.

"Monitoring Guard" has been "a thing" since at least the 1950s, 9/11 NOTAM or not.

Growing up in the 1970s, I remember that at the gate to our local GA airport there was a big green sign that said, "Have you checked 121.5 lately?"

It is an honor to take tips on aviation professionalism from a man of your stature.

You have no idea of my stature, I will say most midgets look up to me.

And as much as you may have wanted the tip, I don't recall offering it

it would help if I knew the history of the "GUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!" thing. I don't have the background information on why that specific emphasis.

Can anyone on POA help?

I seem to recall it starting in the 90s, and really began getting bad around 2005 maybe. Some airline guys are triggered to immediately holler that.

121 world we were required to monitor it Sac. I believe that's where most of nonsense occurs.

Last edited:
But your reply has me wondering... do you think people who mistakenly talk on guard single radio - or are they the two radio types that like to use 4 freqs and forget to switch the audio panel?

In the 121 world I think that is what happens. The PNF is all over #2 getting ATIS, gate info, calling maintenance etc, and uses the #2 radio that usually is set to monitor guard. Pilots used to get corrected nicely but now it's evolved into this "guuuaaaarrrddddd" deal.

My thoughts are that it is probably a more recent thing and growing in frequency due to the increasing level of unprofessionalism and lack of decorum that permeates our society and workplaces these days, aviation included. And to be honest, I don't see it getting better.

In the 121 world I think that is what happens. The PNF is all over #2 getting ATIS, gate info, calling maintenance etc, and uses the #2 radio that usually is set to monitor guard. Pilots used to get corrected nicely but now it's evolved into this "guuuaaaarrrddddd" deal.
Most of this is done through ACARS these days. And probably for many years.

I know you have been retired for a spell.

True, understand that, still had acars when I was sent out to pasture on 8/2013. But we were required to monitor guard.

Last edited:

Damn, did you just call Mark old?

I mean he is of course, but you pretty much just came right out and said it. :ihih:

I see you're still blowing it out your tail pipe James. :rolleyes:

I have heard a bunch of "Guard Police" over the years. You know something funny, though?

Never once have I heard any such silliness in a woman's voice.

I did it once but in my defense I never put 121.5 into the radio. Turns out if you forget to turn the alternator on and your battery is low the garmin 430 turns off the display and set the active frequency to 121.5. At least that's what I assume happened.
I thought we are supposed to monitor it if able after 911? Maybe that rule has changed?
Personally I always do flying around the SFRA around DC. I consider it my get out of jail free card, I often hear warnings to pilots right before they fly into the SFRA squawking 1200, if they were on guard they would hear and turn away before they got busted.

That's why they are still hurting for pilots?
Clearly money doesn't mean much because they were working peanuts before. If you really think regionals are still low paying, I'd suggest you do some more research

Clearly money doesn't mean much because they were working peanuts before. If you really think regionals are still low paying, I'd suggest you do some more research

I'd did, they are.

If it was a good deal they wouldn't have a hard time finding AND KEEPING people.

Keep telling yourself that

icon_pai.gif

image.jpg

Bonuses that can (and eventually will) be removed when the company falls on hard times don't count as "pay".

That's just the modern way to (eventually) avoid furloughs. Just sayin'.

Not going to happen soon, but it'll happen. Many folks will have moved on by then.

Judging by the actual hiring numbers, I'd say about 9000-12000 legacy hires before a regional blinks and either drops the bonuses and/or goes under. 4 years.

The classes of 2017-2020 are pretty safe. 2021 (or sooner with serious political unrest)? Watch out.

It's about an 11 year cycle. And a race. Time it right, life is good. Time it wrong, life is bad.

Back