Pulse oximeter?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, simple pulse oximeter?

Last edited:
All the usual ones work fine.
Now I wish I'd looked for one with a remote reporting device that could be mounted on the panel in front of me, so I didn't have to keep flipping my hand/fingers around to see the display. It would need a smaller, less intrusive sensor with BT to send to the remote display; not sure if there is one that wraps around a finger or wrist.
So either a display, or maybe one that has a vibration device on the wrist. That would be even better.

My wife just got an

iHealth AIR Rechargeable Fingertip Pulse Oximeter​

From Amazon. It reports to your smart phone for $30.

The fingertip clip box shaped ones work for a spot check but would be awkward for continuous use. For occasional use in an aircraft to check once at altitude, any should meet your needs.

If your intended usage is continuous, I would look for one of the ring or wrist versions.

The fingertip clip box shaped ones work for a spot check but would be awkward for continuous use. For occasional use in an aircraft to check once at altitude, any should meet your needs.

If your intended usage is continuous, I would look for one of the ring or wrist versions.
I’m thinking about getting one for home use, spot checks. But also to toss in the flight bag to do some testing at different altitudes.

I don’t need one, but they’re so cheap I might just get one. I could always find a reason to use it.

I ended up with an Oxiline brand after some research and caught one on sale, but have no data to tell you if it's better than any others, except reviews.
I did have an old one, that I thought was inconsistent, and the Oxiline proved that correct.

Ok, next time I’m on Amazon I’ll toss one in the cart. A bright color, if I can get that, so it’s easier to find in the bottom of my flight bag.

I bought a finger clip pulse oximeter but my wife then gifted me a Garmin aviation watch last Christmas. The watch has a pulse oximeter which correlates exactly with the finger probe and one of my Criticare Ngenuity monitors in my office. I was quite surprised with the accuracy of both of those portable options. As far as the watch, I only wear it when flying and only find utility in the O2 saturation monitoring…..but I’ll never tell Santa that. ;)

I got a WellBue from Amazon.

It is worn as a ring. It reports to your smart phone, but has a settable alarm point that has it vibrate if you hit that level.

I ended up getting this one from Amazon:

It came today, so I haven't used it in flight yet. I'm still playing with it to figure out which finger gives the highest o2 reading. Seems like the middle finger of my right hand is best for that.

I'll get some baseline numbers, then see what happens in the air.

If I remember, I'll take it in with me the next time a see my doc so I can compare it to his readings.

I bought a finger clip pulse oximeter but my wife then gifted me a Garmin aviation watch last Christmas. The watch has a pulse oximeter which correlates exactly with the finger probe and one of my Criticare Ngenuity monitors in my office. I was quite surprised with the accuracy of both of those portable options. As far as the watch, I only wear it when flying and only find utility in the O2 saturation monitoring…..but I’ll never tell Santa that. ;)
My Garmin running watch also has a pulse oximeter built into it, but I've never had any luck getting it to get me a reading.

I ended up getting this one from Amazon:

It came today, so I haven't used it in flight yet. I'm still playing with it to figure out which finger gives the highest o2 reading. Seems like the middle finger of my right hand is best for that.

I'll get some baseline numbers, then see what happens in the air.

If I remember, I'll take it in with me the next time a see my doc so I can compare it to his readings.

That’s the one I have. I keep it in the plane, unheated/uncooled hangar. Had it at least 4-5 years? Changed batteries once.

Back