Publications to have

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
If someone were to ask you what publications a VFR ASEL private pilot should have in his\her library to help keep current and abreast of regulations, what would you tell that person. If I were to start with the current FAR|AIM, what would be the additional books or supplements I'd want to have on hand?

Airport facility thingy.

Charts, prob electronic

POH for your airplane. An electronic version outside the plane is awful nice.

Foreflight has a nice “library” feature.

Airplane Flying Handbook

If someone were to ask you what publications a VFR ASEL private pilot should have in his\her library to help keep current and abreast of regulations, what would you tell that person. If I were to start with the current FAR|AIM, what would be the additional books or supplements I'd want to have on hand?

Things are changing all the time, so a static library may not make much sense. At the very least, the pilot should know where to look up relevant sections of part 61 and 91 online. In addition, you also need to know how to look up NOTAMs, TFRs etc... Similarly, where and how to get weather should be part of your toolkit.

I want to keep and update things to help me stay current.

Outside of charts and the chart supplement, most FAA pubs don’t change that often. I haven’t bought a paper copy of anything in 10+ years.

I keep a current FAR AIM, and an EFB with Foreflight and it has served me well .

Matt

If you have the FARs, you have the 'regulations.' Is that what you meant? Just the regulations?

I want to keep and update things to help me stay current.
The far/aim changes every year, and even between editions. In the front of your book you should find a page pointing you to a website showing all the changes since printing. I don't see any reason to spend $20 on a book that's outdated when you get it when you can go online and get the most current information. All the other faa pubs are free online as well.

The phak and afh are worth reading. I even bought hard copies as I prefer reading a physical book to a .pdf. So I guess there's your answer. Haven't looked at them since studying for the checkride though. When I have a question, I do a search on the internet or ask here. It's a lot faster and you can get more nuanced answers. Like most things, there's sometimes a book answer and a real world answer.

far/aim changes every year, and even between editions
My comm CFI turned me on to the FAR/AIM app. One time purchase and you get all of the updates. I can safely say that I’ve already used it more in a couple months than I ever used the paper book in the last 3 years.

My comm CFI turned me on to the FAR/AIM app. One time purchase and you get all of the updates. I can safely say that I’ve already used it more in a couple months than I ever used the paper book in the last 3 years.

Beat me to it! plus the search function works great!

Where do you get that? Does it work on desktops, or just phones and pads?

Where do you get that? Does it work on desktops, or just phones and pads?
I got mine from App Store - all of my EFBs et. al. Are Apple products.

Back