Proper readback for approach clearance?

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
"Cessna 1234, 6 miles southeast of CLAYE, turn right heading 320 maintain 2,600 until established on localizer. Cleared ILS runway 35 approach, contact tower 121.2 at CLAYE."

Do I reply:

1) "Cleared for approach, 234"
2) "Right 320, 2600 until established on localizer, cleared ILS 35 approach, 121.2, 234"
3) Something inbetween

Min readback would seem to be the altitude. Each component seems pretty important though and would be a big boo boo if any of them were messed up. However, reading everything would be a drag as far as workload goes. What opinions are out there?

I usually rattle back with something pretty close to the second option.

320, 2600 until established, cleared ILS 35, tower at CLAYE

Second on the second!

Hopefully the controller will catch it if you read back something incorrectly.

Last edited:
I do somewhat what Ed says. After you fly IFR for a while you'll know what to shorten.

Second.

Not really necessary to read back your location.

Also not really necessary to read back the specific tower frequency, one can just say "over to tower" although if you don't already have it setup it can help with the short term memory before you dial it in.

At the bare minimum give the heading and which approach you're cleared for. Some controllers will reiterate the frequency if you don't give that as well.

If only there were some type of Information Manual for Airmen... :)

Check out AIM 4-4-7

At the bare minimum give the heading and which approach you're cleared for. Some controllers will reiterate the frequency if you don't give that as well.

Some will require you to read back altitude, but haven't heard frequency unless they think you don't know it.
Some don't reiterate the type of approach and just make it generic "clear for approach".
Don't worry, if you miss something, they ask for it.
If you have someone in front of you, make note of what their saying, yours will be close.

Some will require you to read back altitude, but haven't heard frequency unless they think you don't know it.
Some don't reiterate the type of approach and just make it generic "clear for approach".
Don't worry, if you miss something, they ask for it.
If you have someone in front of you, make note of what their saying, yours will be close.

If there is only one approach to the airport it is legal for them to say "cleared approach", which is why you'll hear that. And every controller is different, some want everything others are fine to just heard cleared for the approach and then watch ya and make sure ya got it. Also depends on workload.

"Cessna 12345, 6 miles southeast of CLAYE, turn right heading 320 maintain 2,600 until established on localizer. Cleared ILS runway 35 approach, contact tower 121.2 at CLAYE."

Me: "Heading 320, 2,600 until established, cleared ILS 35, tower at CLAYE, Gaa'DAYYYYEEEEE, Chickenhawk 345."

"Wilco, Cessna tree fow-er fife."

"Cessna 12345, 6 miles southeast of CLAYE, turn right heading 320 maintain 2,600 until established on localizer. Cleared ILS runway 35 approach, contact tower 121.2 at CLAYE."

Me: "Heading 320, 2,600 until established, cleared ILS 35, tower at CLAYE, Gaa'DAYYYYEEEEE, Chickenhawk 345."

That one ^

No, it's RAAAAAJAAAAAAAAHHHH.:D

320 to join, cleared ILS 35, Cessna 234.

Out of curiosity, why did you read back the heading but omit the altitude restriction?

I assumed we were at 2600. Seems silly to read back a clearance for something I'm already doing? Obviously you can't descend unless you're on a published segment, so it's redundant.

Say all important numbers, but abbreviate. Certainly miles from the marker is not important, and tower freq is not.

Something like "320 heading, 2600 feet, ILS 35, 1234".

Say all important numbers, but abbreviate. Certainly miles from the marker is not important, and tower freq is not.

Something like "320 heading, 2600 feet, ILS 35, 1234".

Missed the only required thing to get on tape "cleared for the approach" with your call sign. You could say JUST that and be fine.

Missed the only required thing to get on tape "cleared for the approach" with your call sign. You could say JUST that and be fine.

Whatever... Don't see the need to repeat it if he already said it. YMMV.

The purpose for repeating altitudes and headings is to make sure I have it right.

I get that.

Clearances are required to be read back though. Cleared to take off, cleared to Miami, cleared to land and cleared for the approach. I was just pointing out the one thing that is required to be said is what you left out.

I get that.

Clearances are required to be read back though. Cleared to take off, cleared to Miami, cleared to land and cleared for the approach. I was just pointing out the one thing that is required to be said is what you left out.

I don't really see where clearances are required to be read back perhaps I'm missing that. Wouldn't be the first time. People didn't use to read back runway crossing clearances. Now they put it on the atis. We get clearances in PDC's... We don't read them back. I may be missing something but not sure what.

I get that.

Clearances aren't required to be read back. Only thing required to be on "tape" is for the pilot to acknowledge (Wilco, Roger, affirmative) the clearance with your call sign.

I don't really see where clearances are required to be read back perhaps I'm missing that. Wouldn't be the first time. People didn't use to read back runway crossing clearances. Now they put it on the atis. We get clearances in PDC's... We don't read them back. I may be missing something but not sure what.

Clearances aren't required to be read back. Only thing required to be on "tape" is for the pilot to acknowledge (Wilco, Roger, affirmative) the clearance with your call sign.

Ummmm, maybe it's one of those things where you're sure it's a rule and then find out it's not. I coulda sworn clearances were a required read back item but agree that I just plug the PDC into the box and off we go.

Ummmm, maybe it's one of those things where you're sure it's a rule and then find out it's not. I coulda sworn clearances were a required read back item but agree that I just plug the PDC into the box and off we go.

Well I'd say 90 % of the IFR pilots out there at least read back the numbers portion of the clearance but the bare minimum is an acknowledgment with aircraft ID.

Years ago when I was at Miramar we were making the fighter guys read back their entire departure clearance. They complained to our facility officer who promptly informed us that the only thing required was the altitude. Since then, even that was requirement was removed.

2-4-3. PILOT ACKNOWLEDGMENT/READ BACK
a.
When issuing clearances or instructions ensure acknowledgment by the pilot.
NOTE-
Pilots may acknowledge clearances, instructions, or other information by using “Wilco,” “Roger,” “Affirmative,” or other words or remarks.
REFERENCE-
AIM, Para 4-2-3, Contact Procedures.

b. If altitude, heading, or other items are read back by the pilot, ensure the read back is correct. If incorrect or incomplete, make corrections as appropriate.

But don't you hit "ACCEPT" in the box?

That depends on the box... Not in ours. I saw an article somewhere recently regarding that, in the US controllers do not receive the acknowledgment back if you do have an ability to send one for a PDC. At least I think that's what it was saying.

Right 320, 2600 until established, cleared ILS 35, 121.2, Mooney 642, good day

No. No. No.

"Gaa'DDDAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEE"

:yes: Understood, just didn't write it phonetically.

I might even say "thanks for your help today" or some other chit chatty thing if the frequency isn't busy. If it's really busy, I'll omit the Gaa'Daaaayyy.

Back