Proper phraseology to confirm you have weather?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Trying to be a better student of radio etiquette and professionalism...so what is the proper phraseology to confirm you have weather or ATIS with ATC?

I get "Sklane XYX...blah blah blah...advise when you have ATIS Echo (or "minute weather")..."

What is the proper response once you have it, or already had it?..."Approach...Skylane XYZ..." with Echo?...I have Echo? We gots da weather?...Who is ATIS and why and I picking him up?

I seem to hear it all over the map on the radio and find myself sometims stubling for a streamlined response on this one for some reason.

"with you" respondents need not apply. :no:

Trying to be a better student of radio etiquette and professionalism...so what is the proper phraseology to confirm you have weather or ATIS with ATC?

I get "Sklane XYX...blah blah blah...advise when you have ATIS Echo (or "minute weather")..."

What is the proper response once you have it, or already had it?..."Approach...Skylane XYZ..." with Echo?...I have Echo? We gots da weather?...Who is ATIS and why and I picking him up?

I seem to hear it all over the map on the radio and find myself sometims stubling for a streamlined response on this one for some reason.

Cherokee 1 Bravo Charlie has Information Delta / ASOS (at destination airport)

(XXXX) sometimes useful to add for clarification if multiple airports such as Dallas area.

With approach, when I check in: "N1234 6 thousand Echo (or whatever ATIS)"

If you do this when you check in with each approach frequency then they don't have to ask. Saves a lot of time.

IF they still ask, then "234 has Echo".

You should always say "Information 'Echo' " The letter by itself can be confused with something else, resulting in an unnecessary exchange to confirm.

Most don't know this until going for the IR, but the approach plate for the airport lists the ATC frequency for the approach, and that is typically the first controller who will care whether you have the numbers yet when inbound.

You should always say "Information 'Echo' " The letter by itself can be confused with something else, resulting in an unnecessary exchange to confirm.

Yup. "With <ATIS LETTER>" or "have <LETTER>" is common, but I like "information" if I can remember it before I get to the end ;)

At airports with ATIS, anything with the code... "N123 five point three for three bravo"

At other airports, just that you have current information... "N123 five point three for three with the weather"

If your approach control, has more than one frequency and you are unsure which one provides the approach service I would just do that for every one.

At airports with ATIS, anything with the code... "N123 five point three for three bravo"

At other airports, just that you have current information... "N123 five point three for three with the weather"

If your approach control, has more than one frequency and you are unsure which one provides the approach service I would just do that for every one.
What's this 5.343 you're talking about?

When checking in with the controller,aircraft tail number,with the atis letter. When they ask you to get the atis,call back with tail number and the atis letter.

It was explained to me that if the info was obtained from an ASOS the phrase to use was "With the numbers"

I was told that by the control tower where I fly because it is less vague. Essentially they want to know you have the numbers like altimeter setting. I am not sure if that was just his personal preference though or if there is a recommended way to say it.

Ron?

That's why I say 5.3 descending 3.
me too, although I prefer "5 thousand 3 hundred descending 3 thousand."

Interestingly enough, the AIM actually uses "for" in examples. It might be the combination of the non-standard "5.3" in combination with "for" that causes more of a potential understanding issue. Emphasis on "potential."

I like it when I hear people say "decimal"

That's why I say 5.3 descending 3.

To hear that when I'm flying makes me cringe. "Memphis Center, Skyhawk2654delta, 4.5 descending 2.5."

They almost always put on their best imitation jet jock voice when making that call too.

To hear that when I'm flying makes me cringe. "Memphis Center, Skyhawk2654delta, 4.5 descending 2.5."

They almost always put on their best imitation jet jock voice when making that call too.
You forgot. That's "Memphis Center, Skyhawk2654delta, with you at 4.5 descending 2.5" in the best jet jock voice :D

In addition to the above, when checking into Approach (who already knows my destination airport), I'll do... "Approach, Skylane Five Five Whiskey Bravo, Level ______. And I have the weather for __________." (my destination).

This is done for destinations with ASOS or AWOS. For airports with ATIS, I do similar to Alex, "....I have information ___"

AIM 4-2-1: "Since concise phraseology may not always be adequate, use whatever words are necessary to get your message across."

Bob Gardner

In addition to the above, when checking into Approach (who already knows my destination airport), I'll do... "Approach, Skylane Five Five Whiskey Bravo, Level ______. And I have the weather for __________." (my destination).

This is done for destinations with ASOS or AWOS. For airports with ATIS, I do similar to Alex, "....I have information ___"

Mike, you are doing it wrong. It goes like this

"Approach, 6PC. 5500"
"Do you have the weather at Alliance?"
"er... um.. Was just going to get that."
"Ok, let me know when you have it"

[listen to Dave Ramsey show on the ADF for a couple minutes]
"6PC is back with Yoda.. er yanke.."
"6PC do you have information Ech."
"YES Echo! That's what I have! I have Echo!"

I've actually had excellent luck telling the first Approach controller that I have the information and have never been asked by any subsequent controllers.

It was explained to me that if the info was obtained from an ASOS the phrase to use was "With the numbers"

I was told that by the control tower where I fly because it is less vague. Essentially they want to know you have the numbers like altimeter setting. I am not sure if that was just his personal preference though or if there is a recommended way to say it.

Ron?

"...has information Charlie [at Addision]" or "has the ASOS at Mineral Wells"

[insert for clarification if needed]

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0401.html

4-1-8. Approach Control Service for VFR Arriving Aircraft
a. Numerous approach control facilities have established programs for arriving VFR aircraft to contact approach control for landing information. This information includes: wind, runway, and altimeter setting at the airport of intended landing. This information may be omitted if contained in the Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) broadcast and the pilot states the appropriate ATIS code.
NOTE-
Pilot use of “have numbers” does not indicate receipt of the ATIS broadcast. In addition, the controller will provide traffic advisories on a workload permitting basis.

4-1-13. Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS)

d. Pilots should notify controllers on initial contact that they have received the ATIS broadcast by repeating the alphabetical code word appended to the broadcast.

4-3-26. Operations at Uncontrolled Airports With Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS)/Automated Weather Sensor System(AWSS)/Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS)

If ATC service is required for IFR/SVFR approach/departure or requested for VFR service, the pilot should advise the controller that he/she has received the one-minute weather and state his/her intentions.
EXAMPLE-
“I have the (airport) one-minute weather, request an ILS Runway 14 approach.”

Last edited:

Good question. How about in accordance with what it says in AIM 4-2-3?:

"(a)(3)If radio reception is reasonably assured, inclusion of your request, your position or altitude, and the phrase “(ATIS) Information Charlie received ..." "

"Approach...Skylane XYZ...(airport name) information Echo received".

I know it talks about initial contact, but it makes sense regardless, no?
(This has got to be the most ignored section of the AIM because I never hear it said this way).

Ideal is to get the ATIS/ASOS then check in with the controller and tell them "...with [information] Echo" or "...XYZ weather." But if I've rushed and took a handoff before getting the weather, I'll save a later call by just acknowledging I have whatever the weather is he/she asks me about....then I will pick it up on the other comm while setting up for the approach. It saves disturbing then two minutes later with another call just to say I have it. I just view it as a gentle reminder that they want me to have the current info.

Good question. How about in accordance with what it says in AIM 4-2-3?:

"(a)(3)If radio reception is reasonably assured, inclusion of your request, your position or altitude, and the phrase “(ATIS) Information Charlie received ..." "

I can see where a noob might get confused.

"Oakland tower, Skylane XYZ is ten to the North, level three thousand and has information Charlie received."

"Uh...Skylane XYZ.... current ATIS is November..."

"Hold on...." (dammit where did I put my copy of the AIM? Coulda sworn it said...)

Ideal is to get the ATIS/ASOS then check in with the controller and tell them "...with [information] Echo" or "...XYZ weather." But if I've rushed and took a handoff before getting the weather, I'll save a later call by just acknowledging I have whatever the weather is he/she asks me about....then I will pick it up on the other comm while setting up for the approach. It saves disturbing then two minutes later with another call just to say I have it. I just view it as a gentle reminder that they want me to have the current info.

I view that they are confirming that I have the most recent information, which may include a change in weather conditions necessitating a different approach than I expected, a runway closure, or other pertinent information needed in the final stages of approach planning (altimeter setting, glideslope or lighting system inop, etc.). I don't agree with telling ATC I have knowledge that I don't have. To me, this is ATC confirming I have completed a critical part of the approach checklist, not just a suggestion.

I can see where a noob might get confused.

"Oakland tower, Skylane XYZ is ten to the North, level three thousand and has information Charlie received."

"Uh...Skylane XYZ.... current ATIS is November..."

"Hold on...." (dammit where did I put my copy of the AIM? Coulda sworn it said...)

:rofl: :rofl: Don't forget, when approaching KAFW just south of Texas Motor Speedway, it needs to be "....and has information Bubba received"

Mike, you are doing it wrong. It goes like this

"Approach, 6PC. 5500"
"Do you have the weather at Alliance?"
"er... um.. Was just going to get that."
"Ok, let me know when you have it"

[listen to Dave Ramsey show on the ADF for a couple minutes]
"6PC is back with Yoda.. er yanke.."
"6PC do you have information Ech."
"YES Echo! That's what I have! I have Echo!"

Why would you want to lie?

In crowded airspace, I tell them "negative ATIS." Same thing with Tower handoff. If asked to report when I have it, I'll say "request remain on frequency due to heavy traffic" (if that's true), but no one has questioned it yet.

In uncrowded airspace, I'll listen to ATIS/AWOS and report it when I have.

Arriving into PAO from the east, under the SFO Class B and very near the OAK ILS, I really don't want to be fiddling with ATIS I can't even receive until already descending FAST into Class D. And there is no time if I'm transitioning Class B or C unless I take detours to the west.

Well, I suppose the lesson from this thread is that you can just say whatever you want :rolleyes:

But I think it's a good idea to settle on one way to say it so that you aren't having to think it through too much. For me, it's always "with echo (or the numbers)" after I state my location.

"Renton ground, Skyhawk 123 zulu at north tower parking with echo, ready to taxi for northbound departure"

"Boeing tower, Skyhawk 123 zulu coming out of Renton with the numbers, inbound for touch-and-go"

Last edited:
Well, I suppose the lesson from this thread is that you can just say whatever you want :rolleyes:

But I think it's a good idea to settle on one way to say it so that you aren't having to think it through too much. For me, it's always "with echo (or the numbers)" after I state my location.

"Renton ground, 123 zulu at north tower parking with echo, ready to taxi for northbound departure"

"Boeing tower, 123 zulu coming out of Renton with the numbers, inbound for touch-and-go"

Yeah a lot of people say that, and controllers understand it, but at least once I've heard and exchange like this:

"Hillview Tower, Cessna 123 inbound with the numbers."

"Cessna 123, since you're with the numbers, let's make you number four behind the yellow cub on right downwind."

Yeah a lot of people say that, and controllers understand it, but at least once I've heard and exchange like this:

"Hillview Tower, Cessna 123 inbound with the numbers."

"Cessna 123, since you're with the numbers, let's make you number four behind the yellow cub on right downwind."

Ha! Yeah, I rarely use "with the numbers". If I have the numbers I got em from ATIS, so might as well say that. The example I use is unique to my airspace, where you come out of one class D right into another class D, all the while under a B shelf. There really isn't a whole lot of time to fiddle with the radios.

I view that they are confirming that I have the most recent information, which may include a change in weather conditions necessitating a different approach than I expected, a runway closure, or other pertinent information needed in the final stages of approach planning (altimeter setting, glideslope or lighting system inop, etc.). I don't agree with telling ATC I have knowledge that I don't have. To me, this is ATC confirming I have completed a critical part of the approach checklist, not just a suggestion.

Whatever works for you. Since I'm monitoring the destination weather en route, I've yet to be surprised by the ATIS.

Back