Pronouncing Names at Gastons

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey guys - I was thinking last night about Gastons. I then realized that I don't know how to pronounce a lot of people's names from the board - for example, I don't know if its Ron Levy (Levie) or Ron Levy (Leevey). Or Dr. Bruce Chien, is it pronouced like the french word for dog, or another way?

I think perhaps I'll start: Nick Brennan (Breh nan)

Oh - and since it will probably come up during convo - is the ADIZ pronouced "adiz" or is it "A-D-I-Z"

The ADIZ is either AY-dizz, Ay-Dee-Eye-Zee, or P-I-T-A, depending on who you're talking to.

And while I probably won't be at Gastons:
- Haeberle: HAY-berr-lee (From the German, Häberle)
- Geebo: GREE-boh

Just FYI ;)

Don Jones said:
Thats why I like my last name. Not hard to pronounce. Almost never have to spell it either.
Don

The Spanish pronunciation? HO nez? ;)

NickDBrennan said:
Hey guys - I was thinking last night about Gastons. I then realized that I don't know how to pronounce a lot of people's names from the board - for example, I don't know if its Ron Levy (Levie) or Ron Levy (Leevey). Or Dr. Bruce Chien, is it pronouced like the french word for dog, or another way?

I think perhaps I'll start: Nick Brennan (Breh nan)

Oh - and since it will probably come up during convo - is the ADIZ pronouced "adiz" or is it "A-D-I-Z"

"Levvy" Rhymes with Chevy IIRC.

Dr Bruce is somewhere between Chen and Chin. When he says it, it rhymes with "when".

I think mine's pretty obvious.

NickDBrennan said:
Hey guys - I was thinking last night about Gastons. I then realized that I don't know how to pronounce a lot of people's names from the board
Nick, this is a good idea to clarify pronunciations. :)

Citabria...........Sit-AHH-bree-ahhh.

Diana said:
Nick, this is a good idea to clarify pronunciations. :)

Citabria...........Sit-AHH-bree-ahhh.

That's funny, I never thought about someone pronouncing that differently, but I could see it happening now.

Oh - and btw, I don't mind people calling me SkyHog, as it's my nickname, but I'm easy, call me anything, except Nicholas.

NickDBrennan said:
That's funny, I never thought about someone pronouncing that differently, but I could see it happening now.
Yea, lots of people say....Sit-AHHHH-brah. But, then I have been known to call her worse things. :)
NickDBrennan said:
Oh - and btw, I don't mind people calling me SkyHog, as it's my nickname, but I'm easy, call me anything, except Nicholas.
"Nick" it is then. BTW, are you playing football at Gaston's with that bad back of yours? (I'm bringing lots of ace wraps if you guys are playing football.)

Oh, I'll be playing football. I subscribe to the idea that I have one back that may be repaired many times, but only one life....there's no repairing missed opportunities.

Actually, my back feels fine, so Imma give it a go - if its rough, they'll have to sub me out :)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Bel-Ank-Ah?
Bel-AWnk-Ah?

:dunno:

Which way do you go Dave?

I do "Ank", myself. Maybe it's cause I'm from Missouri (Mis-UR-ah). :)

Diana said:
Which way do you go Dave?

I do "Ank", myself. Maybe it's cause I'm from Missouri (Mis-UR-ah). :)

That's (mis-UR-ee), misery. LOL.

Don Jones said:
Thats why I like my last name. Not hard to pronounce. Almost never have to spell it either.
Don
You're lucky. People stumble over both my first and last names. That's why I stick with Everskyward. :rolleyes:

It's actually Mari (rhymes with "sorry").

Wish I could go to Gastons.

Diana said:
I wish you could too. Maybe next year?
I guess one never knows what will happen in a year so I'll just say, perhaps, if I'm lucky. :dunno:

I've learned to never say never. :yes:

Henning said:
That's pretty rich for someone with a Kansas address...:p

I've only lived in Kansas for the last 10 months. I'v spent 37 of my 45 years living in Missouri. :cheerswine:

Greg Bockelman said:
I've only lived in Kansas for the last 10 months. I'v spent 37 of my 45 years living in Missouri. :cheerswine:
It's seems kinda funny that the people of Missouri can't seem to agree on how to pronouce the name of their state.

Do other states have that problem?

Last edited:
Diana said:
It's seems kinda funny that the people of Missouri can't seem to agree on how to pronouce the name of their state.

Do other states have that proplem?

Well, let me put it this way. Mississippi is the only other state that I can think of that ends in "I" You don't hear them pronounce it "Miss-iss-ip-puh" do you? :cheerswine:

Greg Bockelman said:
Well, let me put it this way. Mississippi is the only other state that I can think of that ends in "I" You don't hear them pronounce it "Miss-iss-ip-puh" do you? :cheerswine:

LOL! Good point Greg.

Don't know how or when it got started. Must be something in the rural water. :)

Greg Bockelman said:

I think Elvis pronounced it that way ;)

Greg Bockelman said:

Uhhhh....yes, depends how far off the nearest paved road you are.:rolleyes:

Nobody has much trouble with my last name "Stratton" - think Briggs & Stratton (no, no relation that I'm aware of). My first name is frequently mispronounced as "Berry" rather than Barry - think sheep - (baaaa -ry).

By the way, I never knew before that the Citabria got its name from "Aerbatic" spelled backwards!

bstratt said:
My first name is frequently mispronounced as "Berry" rather than Barry - think sheep - (baaaa -ry).

I didn't know that. Is that the Canadian pronunciation? Kinda like "Barrrrrrry?"

bstratt said:
By the way, I never knew before that the Citabria got its name from "Aerbatic" spelled backwards!

:)

Okay, I have hesitated posting my reply because most of you folks don't realize what a tongue-in-cheek goofball I am.

Pronouncing my name at Gastons:

Y
omacr.gif
r H
imacr.gif
prime.gif
n
ibreve.gif
s

:rofl:

Ed Guthrie said:
Okay, I have hesitated posting my reply because most of you folks don't realize what a tongue-in-cheek goofball I am.

Pronouncing my name at Gastons:

Y
omacr.gif
r H
imacr.gif
prime.gif
n
ibreve.gif
s

:rofl:

I'll try not to forget, Majesty. :D

Diana said:

Do other states have that proplem?
A Florida person would NEVER say FLAH-rida, but a lot of northeasterners do. We're not quite sure where FLAH-rida is, but we're pretty sure we don't want to go there. It's FLOR-dah.

Diana said:
I didn't know that. Is that the Canadian pronunciation? Kinda like "Barrrrrrry?" :)

No idea. I just figured if my parents had wanted me called Berry that's what they would have named me. Is it usual in the USA to pronounce Barry as Berry?

LAW-res-tun, but just about anyone who uses the reference I'll assume is from somewhere back near where I grew up(it took them ages to comprehend how "Jerry"(professional/entertainment name)[rather than Larry] evolved from Lawreston.

And if the phone rings and the caller refers to La-RES-tun, it's probably some solicitous boiler-room caller peddling something or taking a survey, and who got my # in some clandestine manner because I'm not in "The Book" in the typical manner.

Wish I could go to Gaston's (Gas-TON's? Gas-TONE's?) [[ a la similar to the Boca city in Florida]]; wishing I'll soon get out of the new CFI's training area(after a 14 month break in routine flying). No session today; The rain in Maine stays mainly as a pain, so will refrain from stating in vain about altitude gain in the new plane. [Back to those practice tests].

HR(and that's another story)

Ken Ibold said:
A Florida person would NEVER say FLAH-rida, but a lot of northeasterners do. We're not quite sure where FLAH-rida is, but we're pretty sure we don't want to go there. It's FLOR-dah.

The only variations I've heard for MN come from within: Minn-ah-SOOOO-tah, vs the more common MINN-eh-SO-tah. And I've never heard any kind of mispronounciation of my home state of Michigan, although there were plenty of street names in Detroit (which itself is also occasionally butchered) the worst being Gratiot Ave (a two syllable word with the first being "Grah" and the second sounding exactly like the slang word for brown smelly stuff that often hits a fan). Then there's Lahser road which even the locals can't manage to pronounce correctly (LAH-sir, not LASH-er).

Back