Pronouncing Names at Gastons

Diana said:
It's seems kinda funny that the people of Missouri can't seem to agree on how to pronouce the name of their state.

Do other states have that proplem?
Some people, like me, pronounce Colorado with the "a" sounding like the "a" in "apple". I think that's the native way. Others say Colo-RAH-do. I've heard "Nevada" pronounced with the two different "a" sounds too.

I think I've lived in enough places so that I just speak generic American.

Spent 4 years in Misery, oops, Missouri too.

Ken Ibold said:
That would be BO-ca rah-TONE

;) I knew that, but many, it seems, do not. I had an uncle who was well-known for his Buick, Chevrolet, and Cadillac dealership in Massachusetts. Eventually, enough; and he and Aunt Mary moved to Florida. They found a delightful area with lots of trees, bought considerable property, and built a home. Within six months someone knocked on the door and inquired, How much are you asking for this house"? It wasn't for sale, but via discussion during several weeks a deal was struck. Uncle El built another home. The above scenario re-occurred, and then a third time. Enough; we're not moving, again. Maybe there's a buck in this serene, undeveloped area.

So, Uncle El built a house and just let it sit there on speculation -- well over 100 times. Finally, the pristeen area got too overgrown; less trees, more pavement, et cetera, and they moved back to Holbrook, MA.

Oh, that area as above was back in the 1950s era. The area became known as Boca Raton.

HR

Lawreston said:
;) I knew that, but many, it seems, do not. I had an uncle who was well-known for his Buick, Chevrolet, and Cadillac dealership in Massachusetts. Eventually, enough; and he and Aunt Mary moved to Florida. They found a delightful area with lots of trees, bought considerable property, and built a home. Within six months someone knocked on the door and inquired, How much are you asking for this house"? It wasn't for sale, but via discussion during several weeks a deal was struck. Uncle El built another home. The above scenario re-occurred, and then a third time. Enough; we're not moving, again. Maybe there's a buck in this serene, undeveloped area.

So, Uncle El built a house and just let it sit there on speculation -- well over 100 times. Finally, the pristeen area got too overgrown; less trees, more pavement, et cetera, and they moved back to Holbrook, MA.

Oh, that area as above was back in the 1950s era. The area became known as Boca Raton.

HR

there's the problem - all the beautiful areas become overrun. California today is vastly different from California of 50 years ago. (I personally love it out there and would consider moving if it weren't so much more expensive than even DC is!)

Ed Guthrie said:
Okay, I have hesitated posting my reply because most of you folks don't realize what a tongue-in-cheek goofball I am.

Pronouncing my name at Gastons:

Y
omacr.gif
r H
imacr.gif
prime.gif
n
ibreve.gif
s

:rofl:
I thought it was Doctor Highness? Or was that the name of the Doctor from the 60's that went graduated Harvard? Aw gezzzz. I feel a flashback coming on.
"In the information age, you don't teach philosophy as they did after feudalism. You perform it. If Aristotle were alive today he'd have a talk show.
"
:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

Last edited:
Henning said:
Uhhhh....yes, depends how far off the nearest paved road you are.:rolleyes:

On a gravel road in Italy...................................................

A bus stops and two Italian men get on. They sit down and engage in an animated conversation. The lady sitting behind them ignores them at first, but her attention is galvanized when she hears one of the men say the following:
"Emma come first. Den I come. Den two asses come together. I come once-a-more. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Then I come one lasta time."
"You foul-mouthed sex obsessed swine," retorted the lady indignantly.
"In this Country, we don't speak aloud in public places about our sex lives...... "
"Hey, coola down lady," said the man. "Who talkin' abouta sexa? I'm a justa tellin' my frienda how to spella 'Mississippi'."

lancefisher said:
And I've never heard any kind of mispronounciation of my home state of Michigan,

I've heard it called Mich(as in rich)-ah-gan, a couple of times. Next to nobody gets "Mackinac" right.

Barb

lancefisher said:
The only variations I've heard for MN come from within: Minn-ah-SOOOO-tah, vs the more common MINN-eh-SO-tah. And I've never heard any kind of mispronounciation of my home state of Michigan,

Well, pronouncing is one matter; spelling and use is another. Try mispronunciation and both will be correct.
:frog: HR

One Short said:
I've heard it called Mich(as in rich)-ah-gan, a couple of times. Next to nobody gets "Mackinac" right.

Barb

Actually a pet peeve of mine. The Weather Channel. They have two forecasters (forgotten their names) who pronunce it Michican. Drives me crazy!

And Lance, I discovered Lahser when I moved here in 1983.... funny the locals can't get it right. But what really gets me... everyone calls Buena Vista (okay, it's Spanish, but how hard is that?) They all say B~yew~na Vista (not Bway~na Vista). Incredible....

Oh, and for the record (though I won't make Gaston's this year), the real name is Terrell, which rhymes with Darryl, and does NOT end like gazelle.

Steve said:
No one believes me when I tell them my last name, even after I spell it for them, so I'm avoiding any confusion by not posting it here, either.
Sames as the name of the street my house is on. I don't pronounce it anymore, I just spell it out - usually two or three times.

Are we using nametags at Gaston's?
Has worked well at other large gatherings Ive been to

Let'sgoflying! said:

Sounds like a good idea, Dave. Last year we brought the sticky things that we wrote our names on.

Ken Ibold said:
A Florida person would NEVER say FLAH-rida, but a lot of northeasterners do. We're not quite sure where FLAH-rida is, but we're pretty sure we don't want to go there. It's FLOR-dah.

True.

Sometimes I "nasal" it on over into "FLAR duh" but usually I try to keep the long O in there.

Never FLAH ri da.

Let'sgoflying! said:

"Baaages? Weee don't need no steenkin baaages."

Let'sgoflying! said:
How will I ever remember who I am?
Dave, print this picture off, write your name on the back and keep it in your pocket. Pull it out of your pocket if you have a forgetful moment. :)

Ed Guthrie said:
If you forget who you are, by definition aren't you then a horribly despised "annonymous"?:rofl:

And if you remember who you are, you haven't had enough beers yet.... :goofy:

OK, So WHAT'S THE DEAL ON A COOKOUT? Can Anybody else bring a Grille? I can rent a car at BPK for $47.00 which would allow us to go to the grocery store....anyone willing to split this (I could actually do it myself, in the scheme of running an airplane, I mean this is like 17 gallons of fuel.... :-0

Last edited:
While we're bringing up miscellaneous Gaston's subjects, everyone remember to bring your regional beverage/foodstuff to share. A box, a jar, or a six-pack of whatever you're bringing is fine, unless you want to bring more. I'll set up a table somewhere at some point for our buffet.

You have to get a 6 or better on your landing to get a taste! :)

Toby said:
While we're bringing up miscellaneous Gaston's subjects, everyone remember to bring your regional beverage/foodstuff to share. A box, a jar, or a six-pack of whatever you're bringing is fine, unless you want to bring more. I'll set up a table somewhere at some point for our buffet.

You have to get a 6 or better on your landing to get a taste! :)

Q: Should I bother to bring a grille. Bother to rent the car? Is there good interest in a say, $7.00 hamburger and potato salad or the like? Denny Gaston's cookout, I think died for the price.....

bbchien said:
Q: Should I bother to bring a grille. Bother to rent the car? Is there good interest in a say, $7.00 hamburger and potato salad or the like? Denny Gaston's cookout, I think died for the price.....
Well, the catering wasn't practical since we don't know how many might get knocked out by weather like last year.

Gaston's will give us vans to drive to town anytime we want. They will also let us take a van or they will drive a van to the paved airports. So, you shouldn't need a car. There are grills with the cabins. They do have take-out if we want to get food there and all sit outside somewhere and eat together that way.

I'm going to give them a wild guess at numbers for Friday and Saturday nights in the restaurant (so we can sit together) and update the numbers as y'all let me know.

Diana, is there a Sams nearby? (I suspect that part of Arkansas is NOT Costco country).

Bruce, if we have to get a car instead of using the vans, I can probably kick in something towards that cost.

ooh - I'll bring some green chile for the burgers - that'll be my local thing for the group

wsuffa said:
Diana, is there a Sams nearby? (I suspect that part of Arkansas is NOT Costco country).
I don't know Bill, but I'll find out. They do have a little store in the main building with some food and beverages and stuff, and a gift shop with clothes. And I think fishing lures.

Toby said:
:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

Only a couple weeks to go!

:goofy: Indeed!

I just hope the weather improves over what we've had the last two weeks. SCT023 BKN028 with imbedded TS doesn't cut it for a 321nm flight :(

Bill Jennings said:
I just hope the weather improves over what we've had the last two weeks. SCT023 BKN028 with imbedded TS doesn't cut it for a 321nm flight :(
I'm not even halfway there after 321 miles...which is great if the weather is good!

color me optimistic.

Porsche
As in Portia, a woman's name.......

A two syllable word for a moneypit on wheels on which many owners brag about how expensive their repair bills are. (I used to fixem for a living).:)

What I'm interested in, is (1) portable grills tend to be quite small. So if there is a sense that on Sat. we want to grille out, somebody else needs to bring one, too...special weight given to IFR flyers who will get to BPK with some reliability.... (2) Will Denny actually take us to a grocery store and back in his stuff? (3) potential level of interest at the $10.00 level? (4) or should I bother....eating in the restaurant and not doing much is just FINE by me.

bbchien said:
should I bother....eating in the restaurant and not doing much is just FINE by me.
I'm interested in good company and as little hassle as possible. Cost is unimportant.

bbchien said:
(2) Will Denny actually take us to a grocery store and back in his stuff?

Most of the cottages come with kitchens, so I think they expect a lot of people will cook their own meals. And they just toss you the keys to a van (if it is available) and don't care where you go with it.

bbchien said:
(4) or should I bother....eating in the restaurant and not doing much is just FINE by me.
That will be my plan of action. I thought we might want to hang out on somebody's deck for munchies (can't spell that other French word :) ) and eat about 7:30 or so in the restaurant. How does that sound?

Diana said:
That will be my plan of action. I thought we might want to hang out on somebody's deck for munchies (can't spell that other French word :) ) and eat about 7:30 or so in the restaurant. How does that sound?
Works for me. Bruce, we have a deck, right?

Ken Ibold said:
Works for me. Bruce, we have a deck, right?

Well, I know that Tom and Toby and I have a deck. We could plan on hanging out there. :)

bbchien said:
What I'm interested in, is (1) portable grills tend to be quite small. So if there is a sense that on Sat. we want to grille out, somebody else needs to bring one, too...special weight given to IFR flyers who will get to BPK with some reliability.... (2) Will Denny actually take us to a grocery store and back in his stuff? (3) potential level of interest at the $10.00 level? (4) or should I bother....eating in the restaurant and not doing much is just FINE by me.

My portable grill is in Virginia. Not a chance I can get it before the event. And my gas grill is *not* portable.

Eating in the restaurant is fine by me. Eating at a cookout is OK, too. Machts Nichts.

Folks, it's not looking good for me to get out there.

As I said, family is coming down that weekend and we really can't move things around. I had a great time last year and will really miss getting to meet more folks on this wonderful board.

Sound like you'll have 'nough folks to not miss one more. I'm sure I'll get to see some of you when one or the other of us is traveling this year. 'Sides, do have to get some time in the Baron learning systems and handling before that three hour over water trip in July ;-). Will have to be with a CFI getting some dual before they turn me loose!!

I'm really disappointed. Sorry!! If something changes, I'll sure try to get out there on Sunday.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

bbchien said:

Yeah! What Bruce wrote!

But if y'all insist on ignoring the Doc's sage advice, I could be persuaded to disassemble my hanger's permanent residency status propane grill, remove the back seat from the Mooney (sorry folks, the POH says I can do it with a flight W&B calculation, so Ron's resident RC be damned), and then attempt to stuff the grill into the Mooney interior for the flight to Gaston's. I'll report back here early next week if I am successful.

However, if I do all that work then someone else had better be flying Bar Force One directly into Gaston's, and Bar Force One must be stocked with really, really good single malt Scotch. Furthermore, if you think Johnny Walker Red Label satisfies that requirement then you definitely are not the Bar Force One pilot.

Of course we'll miss you, Dave! You're one of a whole bunch of people I'd hoped to meet. Life sometimes gets in the way, though. Hope you can get there on Sunday.

Back