Professional Pilot Banned From Airport

This is awesome. I love it when the public wins one, and dishonest politicians get caught under the spotlight. Say what you will about the Fed, but if they find out terms are not adhered to involving funding, watch out.

A bizarre story to say the least. And I'm sure there's a lot more that has gone unreported, from both parties.

Hmmm, a new destination perhaps? What's this about cheese and pretzels at Lehman's?

The airport in question is deep within Amish country. If you can get the crew car you drive a short distance to Kidrun, home of Lehman's hardware. It is basically a hardware shop for the Amish. It has to be seen to be believed, and is quite the destination. There is a little snack shop with the absolute best pretzels I've ever eaten, and that includes the ones I made. They must have a different sourdough mix or something.

Down the street is Schnitzlers (?, probably blowing the spelling) which has a huge selection of Amish cheeses, among other really good stuff. I bring the cheese home and cold smoke it.

I've only made one sortie up there thus far, but it won't be my last. One of the more fun trips I can do locally in the aircraft.

Hmmm, a new destination perhaps? What's this about cheese and pretzels at Lehman's?

https://www.lehmans.com/

A very cool place...and I have no affiliation with them. We have a crew car available.

Also, 3 miles from the airport, in Smithville, is The Barn restaurant. Amish food in a converted barn.

Been meaning to update this for awhile, and we finally have snow, so down-time.... For anyone who cares, the County airport board who banned our 80-year-old female pilot is gone. They disbanded 'voluntarily', with the assistance of our County powers-that-be, and now our 3 County Commissioners are directly in charge of the airport manager. The airport manager is on job probation... 6 months I think. Amazing change of attitude.

Joann, with a little help who will remain nameless, pursued the informal complaint against the board/County with the FAA. All the facts, statements, blah, blah, were gathered. Nothing was submitted by the board that justified their banning her (last statement is my opinion, based on reading every scrap submitted). For several months the complaint has been sitting. Last we knew they 'were researching the Administrator's previous opinions on similar complaints'. Whatever...but I'm certain this contributed to the board's demise.

Joann, thru the whole thing, has come and gone on the airport pretty much as she pleases. Gotta give her credit for stubbornness, She also passed her 3rd class medical last week, and is in the process of updating her CFI. Cool for 82, I think. She has no intention of using the CFI by the way...just that stubborn thing again I suspect. She and her 80+ employer/friend will continue to fly his Baron together.

There's hope for us old folks....I SAID, THERE'S HOPE FOR US OLD FOLKS :yesnod:

Jim

Great to hear!

:wink2:

Old age dementia runs in both sides of my family. I got worries.

Having just lost my dad to a combination of myelofibrosis and dementia, I really hear you. I never really worried about getting old before. But seeing how the dementia affected him (and it was not nearly as severe as some-he still knew who we all were) it's scary.

John

Having just lost my dad to a combination of myelofibrosis and dementia, I really hear you. I never really worried about getting old before. But seeing how the dementia affected him (and it was not nearly as severe as some-he still knew who we all were) it's scary.

John

Sorry for your loss, John!

Jim

Sorry for your loss, but you see from whence I come. My own father passed away at 69, but he started exhibiting signs of dementia when he was about 3 years older than I am right now.

Like I said, I got worries.

Old age dementia runs in both sides of my family. I got worries.

Between that , the threat of debilitating strokes, and the risk of long-running cancer, old age is spooky. I've frequently said that we live better than our predecessors, but die worse. Medicine has reached the point where it can keep miserable, terminally ill people alive for a long time.

We treat our dogs better than we treat our elderly. At least we have the compassion to put our dogs down when it's time.

We treat our dogs better than we treat our elderly. At least we have the compassion to put our dogs down when it's time.

Tell me about it. Mama Steingar left the secure facility when it became abundantly clear that she didn't do much of anything on her own anymore.

John

Sorry to hear it, John. My Mom passed on Monday after a long battle with kidney disease.

Been meaning to update this for awhile, and we finally have snow, so down-time.... For anyone who cares, the County airport board who banned our 80-year-old female pilot is gone. They disbanded 'voluntarily', with the assistance of our County powers-that-be, and now our 3 County Commissioners are directly in charge of the airport manager. The airport manager is on job probation... 6 months I think. Amazing change of attitude.

Joann, with a little help who will remain nameless, pursued the informal complaint against the board/County with the FAA. All the facts, statements, blah, blah, were gathered. Nothing was submitted by the board that justified their banning her (last statement is my opinion, based on reading every scrap submitted). For several months the complaint has been sitting. Last we knew they 'were researching the Administrator's previous opinions on similar complaints'. Whatever...but I'm certain this contributed to the board's demise.

Joann, thru the whole thing, has come and gone on the airport pretty much as she pleases. Gotta give her credit for stubbornness, She also passed her 3rd class medical last week, and is in the process of updating her CFI. Cool for 82, I think. She has no intention of using the CFI by the way...just that stubborn thing again I suspect. She and her 80+ employer/friend will continue to fly his Baron together.

There's hope for us old folks....I SAID, THERE'S HOPE FOR US OLD FOLKS :yesnod:

Jim

Good news, and I'd noticed and have been wondering about the "...Amazing change of attitude".

I've been banned from my home airport for almost a month now I'm curious about all the details of this case.
I received no cause or time frame.

I've been banned from my home airport for almost a month now I'm curious about all the details of this case.
Welcome to POA!

So tell us, where and how did this come about? And is that your plane in the avatar?

Pretty much all the particulars are included within the thread. If you have additional questions I'd be glad to answer them either in the thread or PM. I would be interested in hearing more particulars regarding your banning.

Jim

I managed an FBO that the City of Clovis wanted to take over. They excercised "exclusive right" to sell fuel on our airport effectively putting me out of business. I am a member of a local pilot's association and we as a group started a campaign to hold the city accountable for its actions. Apparently I was being to big of an annoyance on the airport so I was given a document by the City Police that notified me I was banned and the penalties for trespassing. I have not been able to use our federally subsidized air service or attend any airport Board meetings. As a pilot and aircraft owner (I own a small percentage of a Cherokee 140) I've been unable to utilize any part of our airport, not to mention the job I go to that pays me money I haven't been able to do that.

Last edited:
I managed an FBO that the City of Clovis wanted to take over. They excercised "exclusive right" to sell fuel on our airport effectively putting me out of business. I am a member of a local pilot's association and we as a group started a campaign to hold the city accountable for its actions. Apparently I was being to big of an annoyance on the airport so I was given a document by the City Police that notified me I was banned and the penalties for trespassing. I have not been able to use our federally subsidized air service or attend any airport Board meetings. As a pilot and aircraft owner (I own a small percentage of a Cherokee 140) I've been unable to utilize any part of our airport, not to mention the job I go to that pays me money I haven't been able to do that.

You need to file a complaint with the FAA, either a Part 13 informal or a Part 16 formal complaint. Part 13 is a good starting point. A lawsuit would be entirely appropriate too, based on the facts you gave.

I've filed a part 13 complaint and I would really like to file suit. I have been unable to find any cases like mine to show an attorney some sort of precedence though.

The air tractor belongs to a friend of mine it was such a cool pic I had to show it off!

I've filed a part 13 complaint and I would really like to file suit. I have been unable to find any cases like mine to show an attorney some sort of precedence though.

Finding the right cause of action to put in the complaint is your attorney's job. Also you need an attorney that isn't afraid of going into federal court. Many are not comfortable with the other set of rules, but this is likely a case for a federal court. The SCOTUS has cases stating that citizens have the right to move about the country so that likely there is a constitutional right that is being violated. They are also violating several of the grant assurances and they are denying you the right to exercise federally granted privileges, assuming you are a pilot.

I'm afraid my local attorney although he believes I'd win in any court also doesn't think there'd be very much money awarded in a case like this. My feeling is I really don't care about the money as much as the damage to my reputation and the fact that if they get away with this today they will do it again tomorrow or anytime someone attempts to hold them accountable.

I'm afraid my local attorney although he believes I'd win in any court also doesn't think there'd be very much money awarded in a case like this. My feeling is I really don't care about the money as much as the damage to my reputation and the fact that if they get away with this today they will do it again tomorrow or anytime someone attempts to hold them accountable.

Typical attorney. He is probably most interested in getting a big percentage of a big case.

I wish I were a member of the New Mexico bar. I would love to hammer them.

If I thought it would help I would've definitely tested their resolve by attending a particular airport board meeting I'm certain they would've had me arrested for showing up to.

If I thought it would help I would've definitely tested their resolve by attending a particular airport board meeting I'm certain they would've had me arrested for showing up to.

Even denying you public participation. Interesting!

Typical attorney. He is probably most interested in getting a big percentage of a big case.
Yes, most attorneys expect to get paid. And most clients for some reason think that principles are very important, but not important enough to come out of pocket for. If the OP is indigent, I am sure there is a local legal aid society that could likely find an attorney willing to handle the case pro bono. Otherwise, I am certain he'd have no trouble retaining the services of a qualified attorney if he's willing to pay the hourly rate.

Back