Professional Pilot Banned From Airport

Small town politics are not for the faint of heart.

We don't know the whole story - if there is a legitimate safety or security reason for the ban, that's one thing. A discriminatory ban is another.

The fact that they'll let her on grounds if she's "accompanied by her employer" tells me it has nothing to do with safety or security. If it did, they would've banned her outright.

I feel like I'm speaking to an empty room when I say get in touch with the FAA ADO. They're responsible for making sure the airport is compliant with their grant obligations. Getting in touch with the ADO ASAP will resolve the situation much faster than getting in touch with anyone else.

Hell, if someone will fill me in with the full story or put me in touch with the woman I'd be glad to talk to the ADO on her behalf. I have many friends in the Great Lakes region.

One of the reasons I'm still not sure about going into airport management, the drama and politics are not something I want to really take part in. The job itself still interests me though.

Small town politics are not for the faint of heart.

We don't know the whole story - if there is a legitimate safety or security reason for the ban, that's one thing. A discriminatory ban is another.

"Safety" and "security" concerns are often vastly overstated by their very nature.

Shy of this lady writing a notarized letter threatining the lives of people, I say let her on the airport or pay the Feds back every penny they accepted for the airport.

The fact that they'll let her on grounds if she's "accompanied by her employer" tells me it has nothing to do with safety or security. If it did, they would've banned her outright.

I feel like I'm speaking to an empty room when I say get in touch with the FAA ADO. They're responsible for making sure the airport is compliant with their grant obligations. Getting in touch with the ADO ASAP will resolve the situation much faster than getting in touch with anyone else.

Hell, if someone will fill me in with the full story or put me in touch with the woman I'd be glad to talk to the ADO on her behalf. I have many friends in the Great Lakes region.

I will call Ms. Stype and send you a PM when I hear back from her in the affirmative, with permission to give you her information. Thanks for the offer.

Jim

P.S.....is the ADO the folks that grant money for airport improvements? The airport is planning to re-surface the runway this year, and working with the FAA on it currently....which seems like it would be a good time to have the segmented circle/wind sock the FAA contributed to up and working...but that's just me.

Last edited:
I will call Ms. Stype and send you a PM when I hear back from her in the affirmative, with permission to give you her information. Thanks for the offer.

Jim

P.S.....is the ADO the folks that grant money for airport improvements? The airport is planning to re-surface the runway this year, and working with the FAA on it currently....which seems like it would be a good time to have the segmented circle/wind sock the FAA contributed to up and working...but that's just me.

Yes, they'd be the folks you want to get in touch with.

KBJJ received $126,180 in FY14 for design to rehabilitate 10-28. They also received $90,798 in FY13 to update their master plan and for a wildlife hazard assessment.

I'm not sure what their getting in FY15 at the moment as I don't have access to that information. However, they have received plenty of grant money from the FAA - meaning they have grant obligations to fulfill.

The Wayne County, Ohio airport board has taken the unusual action of banning an active commercial pilot from the public airport. Ms. Joann Stype flies and overseas maintenance on a Baron (which is housed in a rental hangar on the field) for her employer. She was recently mailed a letter, over the signature of the board president, indicating that she is not allowed any access, at any time, to the public airport, without being accompanied by her employer. There were no reasons for the ban stated in the letter.

Ms. Stype, who is in her 80's, has been an active pilot and CFI for over 50 years, all of it associated with the local airport. She currently flies as safety pilot in the Baron for her employer, and has until this point overseen maintenance for the aircraft. The airport ban will of course preclude her maintenance duties.

Ms. Stype chose to ignore the airport prohibition and attended the airport board meeting at the County FBO last night. She sat quietly, made no comment, and no notice was officially taken by the board that she was there. Ironically, Ms. Stype sat next to a member of the airport board who is employed by the Wayne County Prosecutor's office. That agency would prosecute Ms. Stype's offense, had she been charged with Criminal Trespass for being at the meeting.

This observers opinion is that Ms. Stype asks too many questions....examples being "Why has there been no wind sock in segmented circle since last September?" and "Why are there two employees sitting in the airport office doing nothing?" The airport manager and Ms. Stype have squabbled regularly over such topics. Simply put, Ms. Stype cares deeply about the airport.

My involvement is only as a fellow pilot and observer. I have a 182RG and Citabria which are both based at the airport, and my house adjoins the airport.

I pass it along for what it's worth....

Jim

As an aviation consultant and attorney, and current chair of our airport commission, it appears that the airport board there has not been reading the FAA's Grant Assurances. You can look them up on the internet. They are the promises that the airport sponsor makes whenever they take federal money. If the airport has taken federal grant money in the last 20 years (almost a certainty), they are bound by the grant assurances. There are likely several clauses that apply here.

She should contact AOPA for help and advice. She has the option of filing a complaint with the FAA, which will investigate. The FAA can fine or sanction the airport. Failure to comply with FAA orders can result in suspension of future grants, not only to the airport, but any federal grants that the sponsor agency might be eligible for. You should have seen the eyes of our local city leaders open wide when they learned that they could jeopardize federal grants for roads, transit, emergency preparedness, the whole shebang.

I think that the only way that they could bar someone who otherwise has a right to be there, is if they can demonstrate a safety issue. Since she can be there with her employer, it doesn't sound like that is applicable. However, we don't have the whole story of course. But on its surface, it seems like the airport is in the wrong.

There has to be more to this story than we are being told.

Obviously we can't know if it's justified or not until we hear all the facts. But I've got $5 that says the pilot knows why she was banned, and it wasn't over a windsock.

I spoke to Ms. Stype and sent you a PM with her contact information...thanks!

Jim

Obviously we can't know if it's justified or not until we hear all the facts. But I've got $5 that says the pilot knows why she was banned, and it wasn't over a windsock.

Having watched the whole thing from either my hangar or the house overlooking the airport, and knowing the personalities involved, I'll take that $5 bet. Just my opinion tho!

Jim

Careful what you wish for there. Not really sure getting Campbell involved would be a benefit.
I hear you, but: It sounds like this airport board is exactly who you want to hand a double-bladed chainsaw...:)

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
As an aviation consultant and attorney, and current chair of our airport commission, it appears that the airport board there has not been reading the FAA's Grant Assurances. You can look them up on the internet. They are the promises that the airport sponsor makes whenever they take federal money. If the airport has taken federal grant money in the last 20 years (almost a certainty), they are bound by the grant assurances. There are likely several clauses that apply here.

She should contact AOPA for help and advice. She has the option of filing a complaint with the FAA, which will investigate. The FAA can fine or sanction the airport. Failure to comply with FAA orders can result in suspension of future grants, not only to the airport, but any federal grants that the sponsor agency might be eligible for. You should have seen the eyes of our local city leaders open wide when they learned that they could jeopardize federal grants for roads, transit, emergency preparedness, the whole shebang.

I think that the only way that they could bar someone who otherwise has a right to be there, is if they can demonstrate a safety issue. Since she can be there with her employer, it doesn't sound like that is applicable. However, we don't have the whole story of course. But on its surface, it seems like the airport is in the wrong.

Thanks, Kristin! I just cut and paste your response and put it in a e-mail to Ms. Stype. Ultimately of course, she is the one who decides how she wants to handle it. My purpose in posting was to provide her with the information she needs to make an informed choice. It is amazing the diversity and depth of knowledge on POA.

Jim

Having watched the whole thing from either my hangar or the house overlooking the airport, and knowing the personalities involved, I'll take that $5 bet. Just my opinion tho!

Jim
It will be very interesting to see what the board-meeting minutes say if you can get them. If I was going to speculate based on the letter, I'd guess that it's something embarrassing to her. Or the board members are just bat-**** crazy and looking forward to being sued. That could be it. But it seems unlikely.

I hear you, but: It sounds like this airport board is exactly who you want to hand a double-bladed chainsaw...:)

Ron Wanttaja

Well, I guess old Zoom knows a thing or two about being banned from airports.

It will be very interesting to see what the board-meeting minutes say if you can get them. If I was going to speculate based on the letter, I'd guess that it's something embarrassing to her. Or the board members are just bat-**** crazy and looking forward to being sued. That could be it. But it seems unlikely.

Or they lied to make it sound reasonable, which, given the nature of public employees, is a very logical conclusion.

Or they lied to make it sound reasonable, which, given the nature of public employees, is a very logical conclusion.

I emailed a request for the minutes to the board chairman yesterday. He responded he will have the meeting minutes to me 'soon'. Of course, they were only approved Tuesday and may need to be typed up. I just hit him up for them again.

Ji

Assuming she is being punished because they don't like her pointing out the defects, isn't she protected by whistleblower laws?

Or maybe just a good newspaper article would be sufficient to show the local public how their officials react when caught not doing their job...

I can't help but imagine that the old gal, at some point, probably offered to whoop the airport manager's arse, or something of that nature. I really hope that this woman has that kind of spunk.

I'll bet she is a member of the 99's....if so, I wonder if the 99's might have something to say about it. Theres a VERY well known member at my home drome. I'll ask her about it. She's known nationally as well as internationally and i'll bet she knows some important people.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that Mrs. Orr? She's great.

I got my copy of the meeting minutes during which the vote occurred. For background, there are 2 relatively new board members who think they own the airport (Deeken and S. Boyer). One of them got his DIL (O.Boyer) appointed to the board also.

The minutes are attached, but the short course for those who don't want to wade thru it....The board had their regular meeting (5 of 7 members present). They then went into executive session, but one of the members had to leave (leaving a legal quorum of 4). Following the executive session (quoting)...

"Motion by D. Deeken to draft letter to Ms. JoAnne Stype addressing the board’s concerns
Second by O. Boyer.
Opposed R. Crider
Passed 3-1"

So essentially those 3, with excellent timing, managed to bull this thru a 7 member board..pretty slick! Did I mention they're politico wannabees?

Oh, and the kicker?....in the email accompanying the minutes, Deeken mentions he just finished the final editing of the board meeting minutes before sending them....and yes, the board has a secretary.

Jim

Attachments

• APRIL 2015 MONTHLY MEETING as amended.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Jim

Jim - I don't think that either of us are thinking anything nefarious, but I do think the instances where someone does something incredibly stupid without provocation are rare. Maybe this is the case? But I bet she knows, or at least strongly suspects what caused this.

Plain and simple, the lady needs to take the issue up with the Detroit Airport District Office. We don't know the whole story, but I'm pretty sure the Feds will be able to sniff it out- they're used to wading through small town politics so popular with county airport commissions. If necessary, an informal part 13 complaint will start the process.

The BS politics at most small airports are worse than those at gated communities with HOAs.

Oh, wait....

:rolleyes2:

..... I do think the instances where someone does something incredibly stupid without provocation are rare.

Spend much time around small-town politicians? :D Who knows, you may be correct.

I'll keep folks posted, as I'm sure there will be more to the story.

Jim

Spend much time around small-town politicians? :D Who knows, you may be correct.

I'll keep folks posted, as I'm sure there will be more to the story.

Jim

I was the Chief Deputy Treasurer of a very small rural county for a long time. Not much I haven't seen. :yes:

What you're saying is certainly possible. Hoping for a good outcome.

I was the Chief Deputy Treasurer of a very small rural county for a long time. Not much I haven't seen. :yes:

What you're saying is certainly possible. Hoping for a good outcome.

I did a bunch of years as a cop, then more as an investigator for the State's Attorney's office. We could write a book! :yes:

One thing I know for sure is, you never know for sure!:no:

Jim

It sounds like you've already been advised of the appropriate course of action, But, I spoke to my friend who is a member of the 99's yeaterday. She didnt recognize the name but said that she would check her roster. She also said that normally, the 99's do not intervene in such cases, or even provide an opinion. But, she took a pretty strong interest and is going to look into it also....as much as she can at least. Hope it all works out for Ms. Stype.

It sounds like you've already been advised of the appropriate course of action, But, I spoke to my friend who is a member of the 99's yeaterday. She didnt recognize the name but said that she would check her roster. She also said that normally, the 99's do not intervene in such cases, or even provide an opinion. But, she took a pretty strong interest and is going to look into it also....as much as she can at least. Hope it all works out for Ms. Stype.

Thanks, Jeff. I'm sure help from any quarter is appreciated by Ms. Stype. I am aware that some processes have begun in the matter, and that's all I'm able to say currently. I'll update as they move along.

Ms. Stype is a tough old bird (said with the utmost respect), but she has been moved almost to tears by the overwhelming support both here (I sent her a link to the thread) as well as at our airport. Thanks!

Jim

PS- ...and she wanted to say special thank-you's to Kristen and Turningfinal!!

Last edited:
Wow - I had no idea - I should probably hang out at the airport more often and keep up on the news.

Wow - I had no idea - I should probably hang out at the airport more often and keep up on the news.

Hi, Scott! Coffee's usually on if there's a car at our hangar.

(Scott has the most gorgeous 177 I've ever seen, just FYI! :)

Jim

The Wayne County, Ohio airport board has taken the unusual action of banning an active commercial pilot from the public airport. Ms. Joann Stype flies and overseas maintenance on a Baron (which is housed in a rental hangar on the field) for her employer. She was recently mailed a letter, over the signature of the board president, indicating that she is not allowed any access, at any time, to the public airport, without being accompanied by her employer. There were no reasons for the ban stated in the letter.

Ms. Stype, who is in her 80's, has been an active pilot and CFI for over 50 years, all of it associated with the local airport. She currently flies as safety pilot in the Baron for her employer, and has until this point overseen maintenance for the aircraft. The airport ban will of course preclude her maintenance duties.

Ms. Stype chose to ignore the airport prohibition and attended the airport board meeting at the County FBO last night. She sat quietly, made no comment, and no notice was officially taken by the board that she was there. Ironically, Ms. Stype sat next to a member of the airport board who is employed by the Wayne County Prosecutor's office. That agency would prosecute Ms. Stype's offense, had she been charged with Criminal Trespass for being at the meeting.

This observers opinion is that Ms. Stype asks too many questions....examples being "Why has there been no wind sock in segmented circle since last September?" and "Why are there two employees sitting in the airport office doing nothing?" The airport manager and Ms. Stype have squabbled regularly over such topics. Simply put, Ms. Stype cares deeply about the airport.

My involvement is only as a fellow pilot and observer. I have a 182RG and Citabria which are both based at the airport, and my house adjoins the airport.

I pass it along for what it's worth....

Jim

Just a quick update on the situation...

Mrs. Stype has been in contact with the Detroit ADO, who have accepted her written complaint for investigation, and have begun the process. Their first step was to send a letter requesting additional info from the airport board.

She has also engaged a prominent local attorney, who has sent a letter requesting additional information on the matter from the board. He has also begun discrete investigations of the matter toward a civil action.

Should be interesting times ahead for the board....

Jim

Is she still banished? I thought I saw her walking around Saturday.

Back