Private Plane

Stets656

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Looking for a personal airplane for some cross country use. 200-300 mm trips. Need it to be somewhat fast, 160 knots at the absolute slowest. Hold at least two people, a pilot, and a decent amount of bags, as well as fuel. Price range, under 100k, preferably under 60k. Guys got any ideas? Thanks.

Just about any Vans RV

Just about any Vans RV
His post was a little confusing but I think he's looking for a plane that can carry at least the pilot plus two passengers so three people total. That would rule out everything but an RV10

His post was a little confusing but I think he's looking for a plane that can carry at least the pilot plus two passengers so three people total. That would rule out everything but an RV10

Oh shoot I didn't read it very carefully. The answer is always a Vans though ;p

So yea...RV10 or Mooney

Looking for a personal airplane for some cross country use. 200-300 mm trips. Need it to be somewhat fast, 160 knots at the absolute slowest. Hold at least two people, a pilot, and a decent amount of bags, as well as fuel. Price range, under 100k, preferably under 60k. Guys got any ideas? Thanks.
60-100k + upkeep + fuel + pilot fees (assuming you are hiring a pilot based on the wording you chose) will buy a lot of first class tickets on commercial airlines.

Your 160 kt criteria will limit your choices dramatically. There are a lot of 140 kt to 150 kt single engine aircraft out there including the Piper Arrow, Cardinal RG, Grumman Tiger, any of the lower hp V-tails, the naturally aspirated Mooneys that will take only 10 or 15 additional minutes to cover your short 200 nm to 300 nm trips.

Your 160 kt criteria will limit your choices dramatically. There are a lot of 140 kt to 150 kt single engine aircraft out there including the Piper Arrow, Cardinal RG, Grumman Tiger, any of the lower hp V-tails, the naturally aspirated Mooneys that will take only 10 or 15 additional minutes to cover your short 200 nm to 300 nm trips.

All true but this sounds like the perfect mission for the Mooney....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another fact not yet in evidence.... how frequent are these trips?

Also, for the short 300nm, the extra speed isn't going to gain you that much reduction in ETE over a slower aircraft that fits the lower range of the stated budget.

Another fact not yet in evidence.... how frequent are these trips?

Also, for the short 300nm, the extra speed isn't going to gain you that much reduction in ETE over a slower aircraft that fits the lower range of the stated budget.
This right here..... A Grumman Tiger would be perfect if they gave up a little speed. Very comfortable and you can slide the canopy back and get a nice breeze. If you really want a spacious cabin he could look into Navion's.

Piper Comanche 250 or 260. You'll get 160 kts on about 14 gph, and on 200-300 NM legs can easily carry 4. Decent ones can be had for under $100K.

Trips that short would take longer in a twin than a single simply because the preflight and run up would eat away any time advantage from the extra speed. I never get the obsession with a fast plane for short trips. My plane goes 130 knots at 65% power and the only time I have really wished I had a faster plane has been on trips over 400 nm. (Incidentally, my iPhone just now wanted to correct nm to mm so perhaps that's why the OP wrote mm.)

300 nm at:
100 knots = 3:00
130 knots = 2:18
140 knots = 2:09
150 knots = 2:00
160 knots = 1:53
180 knots = 1:40
200 knots = 1:30

The major time savings come in the first 30 knots or so above 100. After that you're mostly burning more fuel to save fewer minutes and the diminishing returns in time can quickly go away due to a more complex plane requiring more time between the hangar and the runway.

That's a nice bird, but I wonder if that engine isn't getting a little "long in tooth," such that an expensive overhaul might not be too far away. Just thinking out-loud. Am I wrong?

Nope, not wrong at all. It's past the magic "TBO" recommendation of 1700 hours for the IO520, but if the engine is still purring along and the engine oil analysis is good, then it could go another 100, 200, 300+ hours before an overhaul is needed. Figure anywhere from $30-$50K for a Major on the IO-520 depending on who and what type you want to go with (new, rebuild, or field overhaul).

Brian

Which Mooney model under 60k gets 160kts? Maybe u can find a real crappy J for that price. Now 60-100k is a diff story. What am I missing?

Which Mooney model under 60k gets 160kts? Maybe u can find a real crappy J for that price. Now 60-100k is a diff story. What am I missing?
The connection between M20J speeds and M20C prices. Don't worry, I'm missing it, too.

Mooney F will just hit your 160 knot speed requirement at that price range 201J's will be over your budget. I wouldn't buy a J at 60k. If these people you want to fly with are decent size people the person in the back is going to be uncomfortable in the Mooney. If it were just yourself and another buddy I would say yeah Mooney F model but three people depending on body type will be tough.

Speed in single engine airplanes get more expensive over 145kts considerably so your options are limited. I would look into the Beechcraft series of airplane something like a well maintained S35.

Didn't he say 60-100?

On longer flights the really overlooked speed mod is range. Avoiding a fuel stop is a HUGE jump in average speed...

Your probably looking at a 260hp or greater Beechcraft. I have a 225hp Debonair and I have had it up to 160knots wide open down low and plenty of fuel. I wouldn't feel comfortable running it like that for long. But 150 knots is easy.

I take several 850nm trips a year, I would love to be able to cruise at 170knts, but the cost is just to much for the extra speed. I'd have to put in a 550.

Back