Private Plane

If you didn't build it, then you still need an IA sign-off to do any work on it, correct?

Nope, anyone can work on it. If you don't have the Repairman Certificate for the plane then you'll need an A&P for the Condition Inspection (i.e. "annual"). See the EAA info for this.

Nope, anyone can work on it. If you don't have the Repairman Certificate for the plane then you'll need an A&P for the Condition Inspection (i.e. "annual"). See the EAA info for this.
Good information. Of course the potential hitch is finding a cooperative A&P within a reasonable distance.

Good information. Of course the potential hitch is finding a cooperative A&P within a reasonable distance.

I have a Mooney repair center that works on mine. They have no problems working on it. While I joke about how "I should have bought a Mooney." They point out some of their aircraft that have some serious maint bills ahead. Corrosion where the whole wing needs replacement. Bunch of fuel cell leaks (work intensive). They get a lot of Mooneys that just weren't kept up. I'll stick with my dirt simple Velocity for now.

I have a Mooney repair center that works on mine. They have no problems working on it. While I joke about how "I should have bought a Mooney." They point out some of their aircraft that have some serious maint bills ahead. Corrosion where the whole wing needs replacement. Bunch of fuel cell leaks (work intensive). They get a lot of Mooneys that just weren't kept up. I'll stick with my dirt simple Velocity for now.
How long of a runway do you need?

How long of a runway do you need?

Well now, that's a low blow. :D

I can get off in 2,200 ft with just me. 3,000 ft with PAX. I have a cruise prop though and only get around 2,250 rpm on takeoff. Once she's up, I go out at 110 KIAS and about 1,000 FPM. I'm sure guys with the constant speed MT props get off in 3/4 off those distances and climb out much better. Suffice to say, you probably won't see too many Velocitys at mountain grass strips...if any.

Last edited:
Well now, that's a low blow. :D

I can get off in 2,200 ft with just me. 3,000 ft with PAX. I have a cruise prop though and only get around 2,250 rpm on takeoff. Once she's up, I go out at 110 KIAS and about 1,000 FPM. I'm sure guys with the constant speed MT props take about 3/4 off those distances and climb out much better. Suffice to say, you probably won't see too many Velocitys at mountain grass strips...if any.
Nah, wasn't a slam at all. Always loved the Velocity. I know it has a reputation for needing a lot of runway, comparitively, w/o CSP.

Nah, wasn't a slam at all. Always loved the Velocity. I know it has a reputation for needing a lot of runway, comparitively, w/o CSP.

Even with a constant speed prop they use up more runway. On landings that's due to no flaps.

Not slamming Velocity airplanes. I think they are really cool looking. I especially like the V-Twin. Well other than the time to build it and the cost. :(

As a general rule, trips of 300nm or less, a fast airplane doesn't save much time, and costs more fuel. Now for trips of 800nm or more,
well, they seem to really shine then. 5 hours at 160kt, as opposed to 7 hours at 115kt. But even 7 hours at 115 beats 20 hours in a car. ;)

As a general rule, trips of 300nm or less, a fast airplane doesn't save much time, and costs more fuel. Now for trips of 800nm or more,
well, they seem to really shine then. 5 hours at 160kt, as opposed to 7 hours at 115kt. But even 7 hours at 115 beats 20 hours in a car. ;)

I fly 100 nm to cape cod. Door to door like 90 mins. 35 in the air maybe. Driving, 3.5 hours unless there is traffic then longer. There usually is. So not sure that 300 miles is always true. Depends on geography, traffic, weather and how fast your plane is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 300nm flight is a long cross country trip. In a Cessna 172 cruising at 115ktas ETE 2:30 and 21 gals. Versus a Cirrus SR22T cruising at 190ktas ETE 1:40 and 29 gals. The Cessna takes 50% longer and uses 38% less fuel.

I fly from FTY in Atlanta to DTS, Destin Fl a lot, at least twice per month. It takes an average of 1:10 to 1:15 each way in my 425 at 255 knots, my 421B made it in 1:25-1:30. So, the time isn't much difference between the two airplanes. The 182Q is 1:50-2:00 each way.
Trips that short would take longer in a twin than a single simply because the preflight and run up would eat away any time advantage from the extra speed. I never get the obsession with a fast plane for short trips. My plane goes 130 knots at 65% power and the only time I have really wished I had a faster plane has been on trips over 400 nm. (Incidentally, my iPhone just now wanted to correct nm to mm so perhaps that's why the OP wrote mm.)

300 nm at:
100 knots = 3:00
130 knots = 2:18
140 knots = 2:09
150 knots = 2:00
160 knots = 1:53
180 knots = 1:40
200 knots = 1:30

The major time savings come in the first 30 knots or so above 100. After that you're mostly burning more fuel to save fewer minutes and the diminishing returns in time can quickly go away due to a more complex plane requiring more time between the hangar and the runway.

At ranges where 110 knots can still get you there in 3hrs or less, the only inflection point in choosing a different airplane would be comfort. I wouldn't go for speed in that case. However..

..In reality, what you're actually buying is the ability to normalize that block time for days where headwinds kick your butt; that's really where the otherwise superfluous nature of 20 extra knots comes in handy. I've had 30 knots in the face before on the RTB leg of my 400NM fam mission trip, adds 1:00 to the ETE. That hurts in an Arrow.

That's what the 50AMU-panel-in-an-Archer crowd doesn't understand when they get punched in the mouth with price ceilings. I rather fly a steam panel bare bones Bo, Comanche or mooney J that day, with some classic KLN 89B and a tablet on my lap, than a 90 knot airliner cockpit....

"90 knot airliner cockpit" is what I think every time I see a G1000 172. I'll never get it... well said.

How much extra would it cost to operate a complex aircraft over a fixed gear aircraft of the same class? Say like a SR22 and a M20J. Also, does getting a turbo over a NA really get you that much? The turbo doesn't really perform at all until you get into the flight levels and usually that's where the high headwinds are...? Not to mention the extra mx and fuel cost. Thoughts?

Depends entirely on the airplane. Chute repack you have to budget what over $1000/year? You have to run each airplanes numbers, get insurance quotes etc. the gear won't matter (except for 1st year of insurance)

Operating costs in the NA piston category is all ballwash. Financing differentials between a 20j and sr22 are a much more significant inflection point in the affordability ledger. But hey keep thinking people can't afford airplanes because of a gear swing or chute repack, as opposed to home sized airplane payments and equally gargantuan storage costs. Do a search on here, it's been beat to death.

Any recommendations for aircraft that are good for long x-cs. 1000+ nm? Can't cost more than 200k, for it to make sense I would say it has to do at least 180 knots otherwise you might as well just airline the trip. I don't think the Cirrus or Bonanza would be an option just because you would have to make a fuel stop and that would add another 45 min to an hour onto your trip. Thoughts?

I never had a difficult time finding a cooperative A&P for condition inspections. For me, it was VERY important that the Velocity still had factory support. My Velocity went to Velocity in Sebastian, FL at least 2 out of every 3 years ... I was just more comfortable with their experienced eyes. They also did the pre-buy for me and provided transition training. Excellent support.

Any recommendations for aircraft that are good for long x-cs. 1000+ nm? Can't cost more than 200k, for it to make sense I would say it has to do at least 180 knots otherwise you might as well just airline the trip. I don't think the Cirrus or Bonanza would be an option just because you would have to make a fuel stop and that would add another 45 min to an hour onto your trip. Thoughts?

Steam gauge Mooney Ovation M20R. Here's mine, examples available under 200k.

14bb7a696482f256232d3b7264c6f3c6.jpg

29e4635544b16c74febeabd7e609988f.jpg

My prop pitch was never quite dialed in and I could only hit those numbers maybe 9 months a year. In July, August and September in Indiana (think mid-90F and >80% humidity), I wouldn't use anything less than 4,000 feet when I had the plane stuffed full (wife, kids, luggage and the dog) for a 2 hour trip back to Ohio. For 9 months a year, no worries ... problem was it got a lot of use in the summer going from Ohio to my parents cottage on the lake in Indiana. Makes the departures more memorable when its hot as Hades, everyone is sweating, complaining and the dog's yipping as your are trying to get home on a Sunday afternoon. Was a GREAT plane and I really miss it but as mentioned, they prefer paved runways of decent length. Of note though is that I could get in and out of our glider airport which was only something like 2200 with trees at the end in the summer with my 7 year old son, but I made sure I had min fuel and I emptied the cabin at the hanger before heading that way.

Lol, After 2~ years of searching a friend found a very recently inherited T210, through word of mouth, in outstanding condition. Old Avionics and a 10 year old 1400 hour engine were the only real issues. A little less than 80k. Family just didn't want to deal with a brokerage sale. I'd imagine those come around often, but unlike houses, the deal part of it expires rather quickly as the longer it sits the more mx is needed to get flying again.

Back