Prebuy question: mechanic local to the plane, or local to you?

libertas

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
libertas
For a prebuy what is the best option, using a mechanic that is local(ish) to where the plane is located, or using a mechanic that is local to you and having them make the trip? I currently don't have a mechanic with any past history, so I can't get any advice there. I'm new to the process and don't know the ropes. Starting from scratch so to speak.

ETA: Does the seller typically let the buyer take the plane to a shop of the buyers choice, or does the mechanic have to come to the plane?

I want a guy to look at it that has never put his name in the logbook. Yes, the seller usually takes it to YOUR selected IA/AP for inspection.

I start by vetting the seller, then look at the shop where most recent maintenance was done. I talk to them before going further.

Unless it’s been signed off by the uncle living in the sticks, most aren’t willing to lie for a neutral, 3rd party.

Once that is done, then consider your specific pre-buy. Don’t know what it costs, Savvy offers them through contacts.

Not saying I do anything ‘book’, but no official ‘prebuy’ with 3 planes. Just don’t be buying junk.

I was selling a Warrior not to many years ago, mid to upper $30’s. One guy said ‘I can buy a Warrior for $28k’. I said, go do it.

There can be a wide swing with value for planes, cheaper isn’t always best. Start by evaluating the seller. Yes, kinda a tough market now, buying.

It depends what you mean by near. You wouldn't expect the owner of a plane based in California to fly to to Maine to see your mechanic, would you? On the other hand, it would not be unreasonable for an owner to fly to a neutral shop an hour away from his base. If you are considering buying a plane far from home, if you aren't familiar with a shop in that area, check with the type club for a recommendation (XXX Pilots Association).
Jon

I currently don't have a mechanic with any past history, so I can't get any advice there.
This is the recommendation I give to all potential owners: select the APIA who will maintain your new aircraft before you buy your new aircraft. This will allow them to be involved in your prebuy process whether they travel to look at it or not. The two main reasons are: whatever is considered airworthy is 50% subjective to the person making that determination, and its your APIA that performs its 1st annual inspection that will give you the bill to fix what your "prebuy mechanic" missed. Good luck.

If the airplane is complex and vintage, the first thing you need to do is find someone who knows that type very, very well. All other considerations are secondary. If you are thinking a simple, common light aircraft, like Cessna 100 series, or PA-28 series, and the like, then you can consider other factors. The first should be finding a mechanic who has substantial experience doing pre-buy inspection and logbook reviews. As there are no standard, the quality depends on one of you knowing what the scope and detail of the inspection process should be. Things to consider: Is a flight test to be part of the procedure? What checks are to be done to the engine? How are the avionics to be checked, if at all. What inspections are to be made for corrosion? Is the pre-buy to morph into an annual?

I guess part of the answer is, what is the cost of bringing a local mechanic to the airplane? If it's not prohibitive, by using the mechanic who will be maintaining the airplane in the future, you have someone with some "skin" in the game. I think with prebuys not having any real standardization, a mechanic answerable to you after the sale is an advantage.

If a local mechanic traveling is not feasible and you can't get a solid recommendation. You might look at Savvy Aviation. This is Mike Busch's organization (if you don't know who that is, google it). He and the organization are fairly well-known nationally. What seems to be less known, is that Savvy has a network of mechanics who follow Savvy's standardized prebuy inspection system. You might see if there is one where the airplane it located.

I guess part of the answer is, what is the cost of bringing a local mechanic to the airplane? If it's not prohibitive, by using the mechanic who will be maintaining the airplane in the future, you have someone with some "skin" in the game. I think with prebuys not having any real standardization, a mechanic answerable to you after the sale is an advantage.

If a local mechanic traveling is not feasible and you can't get a solid recommendation. You might look at Savvy Aviation. This is Mike Busch's organization (if you don't know who that is, google it). He and the organization are fairly well-known nationally. What seems to be less known, is that Savvy has a network of mechanics who follow Savvy's standardized prebuy inspection system. You might see if there is one where the airplane it located.
I found he has a webinar on prebuys I'm making my way through now, looks like it will answer a lot of my questions. FWIW, I'm looking at 36 or 33 bonanzas, not a niche airframe, but by definition complex...and expensive.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not making bids on listings just yet, just trying to get ahead of the curve.

fwiw - I want my mechanic to look at it (or someone recommended by my mechanic). Exactly where this prebuy occurs depends on how far your mechanic is willing to travel.

Savvy prebuy service is money well spent IMHO…..particularly for a first time buyer/owner.

Savvy prebuy service is money well spent IMHO…..particularly for a first time buyer/owner.

It is only well spent if the plane in question is one that their people have expertise in. The don't cover all aircraft. To my knowledge, they don't have anyone truly an expert in the Comanche/Twin Comanche series. If you are looking at a complex vintage aircraft, ask questions about who will actually do the records review and the inspection and what their experience level is.

Back