John Morgan Wight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Turbotwincomanche
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first plane to start flight training. I currently have a deposit on a 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 and need to find someone who can do a prebuy. Airplane is located at Pease in Portsmouth, NH. Does anyone know a good mechanic who could go there and see if it’s a good plane or not before I buy it? Everyone says get a prebuy and not at the shop that maintains it (Port City in this case) but I don’t know anyone. Thank you!

John

Cant help with Mx but prebuy is definite. Will cost you some cash but will be a great negotiating tool when the haggling starts.

Suggest you start with getting the Tech copies of logs, 337s, ADs etc. before travel.
Many brokers have it all on-line. Title Search done?

You may want to get whoever will do Annuals on board with PB Survey report.
He/she may also suggest items to be looked at in PB.

The Crank AD ( SB 505) is something I would want the permanent fix ( PID) or inspect now if recurrent.

They didn’t have any tech copies of the logbooks but said I could come take a look at them on Wednesday and also look at the plane as well. The aircraft is actually less than an hour drive away.

I haven’t done a title search yet but will get on that. That prebuy survey report done by the person doing the annual is a very good idea! I haven’t heard of that but great idea so what they are looking for is standardized so they don’t miss anything.

As for the crank AD they did tell me the last major was in 1998 and I believe that only affected some cranks made in 1999 (correct me if I’m wrong). Question how do you find what relative ADs apply to an airplane? Thanks! This is all totally new to me

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first plane to start flight training. I currently have a deposit on a 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 and need to find someone who can do a prebuy. Airplane is located at Pease in Portsmouth, NH. Does anyone know a good mechanic who could go there and see if it’s a good plane or not before I buy it? Everyone says get a prebuy and not at the shop that maintains it (Port City in this case) but I don’t know anyone. Thank you!

John

Welcome to the aviation world!

Unless you have some help, someone who knows planes and can help you get it up to speed? I would get your PPL first in rental planes then set your sights on a plane of your own.

Have you given any consideration to finding a CFI who is comfortable teaching in your plane that they know nothing about?
How about insurance, can you get insurance without a private pilot certificate?

There is so much to learn when you first get started just to earn your certificate that learning about a new plane to you is much more than you need to start with.

Beat up on a school plane while you learn to land and not your own.

It seems like a big hassle to buy a plane and not be able to fly it? Do you have someone who can fly it until you get your certificate?

Do you know about the 10 dollar report from the FAA to check out the plane you want to buy?

Last edited:
ADs are available on-line at FAA.gov but it is sort of ala carte so figuring out which apply is not too easy. There are services that provide this and the “ gaining IA” probably uses them. Suggest you first talk to “ gaining IA” regarding the scope of the PB. The Aircraft Records should have a “ Status” of all ADs that apply to your Aircraft/Engine/ Prop/Appliances. The “ gaining IA” should be able determine
future maintenance required IF you provide him/her with the existing Records.
So go see the aircraft and use your phone to copy the Records. Going about things this way should reduce “ First Annual Surprises”.

There is no Standard PB Survey so you ( with gaining IA) should provide concerns to
whoever is looking at the aircraft. It would really be good be your new IA were to
do the PB.

AD 98-02-08 requires inspection of the Crankshaft under some circumstances. If the Crankshaft were to be found defective it would require extremely expensive repairs. Do not assume it is included in the PB. Your new IA can check Records and provide guidance on this.

Try Bob Cronin at Manchester Aviation Associates. (603) 623-0150

He's been super busy lately and may not have time, but he has a great operation.

Everyone says get a prebuy and not at the shop that maintains it (Port City in this case) but I don’t know anyone
That prebuy survey report done by the person doing the annual is a very good idea! I haven’t heard of that but great idea so what they are looking for is standardized so they don’t miss anything.
FYI: Keep in mind what makes an aircraft airworthy is 50% objective and 50% subjective... to the person who is making that determination. It is the reason I always recommend a person should first select the APIA who will maintain their aircraft before they purchase an aircraft. Then you can involve that APIA with the prebuy process and get his input and advice as it will be his determination during your 1st annual inspection that will matter and not the prebuy mechanics opinion. Good luck.

Even if the Seller is 100% honest they not be 100% knowledgeable on some aspects of their aircraft. The Crank AD could be one of these. It’s possible that a Recurrent Inspection is due 10 hrs after purchase that turns into a $$$$ project. That is a worst case but you want this investigated at the get-go by an informed person. There are twists and turns to the AD.

Just an update I used John Leland of Leland Aero Service based at KASH (Nashua airport). He did an awesome and extremely through prebuy for me. Also he and his other mechanics have been fantastic so far with maintenance and repairs so far for the roughly 7 months I’ve had the Cherokee 180 now. I can’t recommend them enough. Great work, incredibly knowledgeable and very reasonable price wise.

Where are you located. If you have a shop in mind try to get the owner to fly it to your shop for expenses,and if the pre buy goes well turn it into an annual.

Back