Practice Approach in to Teterboro

Anthem

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Anthem
I know there were some NOTAMS about NY TRACON for practice approaches which are now "expired", but does anyone know whether they allow a practice approach in to KTEB now (as in say RR) ? I can do low approach and leave or actually land. Trying to get a instrument practice run in to NYC area and KTEB before hauling the family in at some point in the future. I could just as easily just file an IFR flight plan, land and then file again outbound, but dont want to file a RR< get there and they deny it and tell you to go back from where you came. . lol

So there I was… wasting taxpayer money flying to Vegas (Nellis Air Force Base) and back to San Diego every night to burn up our flight time allotment at the end of the fiscal year.

Finally got punchy and asked for a touch and go at McCarran one night, get a view of the strip.

“Wolf 703 McCarran approach, request denied, turn right, start climbing and contact departure in 345.45, bub bye”

Weren’t having ANYTHING to do with it!

yeah. . have had a couple Class C's do that as well if you submitted a RR flight plan. Im about an 80 minutes away. I'd like a dry run / practice through to Teterboro before taking family with me there. So not sure how "favorable" they would look at it. Otherwise, ill just file an actual flight plan, land and file another flight plan back. Of course might have to suffer through the flight plan holds/delays and this of course takes more resources for everybody. . hence my question. . lol

….this of course takes more resources for everybody. . hence my question. . lol

Ironic isn’t it? Really bad about it here in Pensacola airspace. And they wonder why guys don’t stay current…

The answer probably is....it depends. If you try to go in when they have a chain of jets stretched out to Philadelphia on the arrival, probably aren't going to be willing to work you in. If you found a time they weren't that busy (is TEB ever not busy?) they may be more cooperative. Just like when you find videos of guys flying a 172 into O'Hare, at 2:00 AM.

Trying to get a instrument practice run in to NYC area and KTEB before hauling the family in at some point in the future.
The approaches are the easy part. The hard part comes after you’re on the ground, and again when you call for clearance outbound. Land, taxi to the FBO, take a breather, get a clearance and head out again if you want a practice run that’s worth anything.

The approaches are the easy part. The hard part comes after you’re on the ground, and again when you call for clearance outbound. Land, taxi to the FBO, take a breather, get a clearance and head out again if you want a practice run that’s worth anything.

This. Nothing unique or special about an approach into TEB.

The challenge (and what people get violated for) is getting out.

Read the departures I was told not above 1500 or you will get a violation and u might not get to come back. Make sure if someone is in the other seat they are helping and not distracting. Lots of cool planes on the ground here… very few props.

So there I was… wasting taxpayer money flying to Vegas (Nellis Air Force Base) and back to San Diego every night to burn up our flight time allotment at the end of the fiscal year.

Finally got punchy and asked for a touch and go at McCarran one night, get a view of the strip.

“Wolf 703 McCarran approach, request denied, turn right, start climbing and contact departure in 345.45, bub bye”

Weren’t having ANYTHING to do with it!

Vegas is the worst TRACON to deal with IME.

As far as Teterboro, there's some great material here that you should read before going there for the first time: https://www.code7700.com/kteb.htm#gsc.tab=0

You could have done this during Covid lockdown, there are YouTube videos of small planes allowed to do VFR low approaches at the big 3 NYC airports.

I would think the fees, especially if parking at the FBO, would be quite painful at Teterboro. I've always avoided it, so I can't provide actual numbers.

Any airport in NJ will charge landing fees, but at TEB the landing fees are in addition to the FBO fees.

All of my flights to TEB were either corporate or Angel Flight, so I never paid.

Any airport in NJ will charge landing fees

Most of the small airports don't charge, but most of the towered airports do. I think Morristown still waives landing fees for light singles. Trenton used to.waive fees for light singles, though I haven't landed there in a few years.

Most of the small airports don't charge, but most of the towered airports do. I think Morristown still waives landing fees for light singles. Trenton used to.waive fees for light singles, though I haven't landed there in a few years.

You might be right about non towered airports. Come to think of it, the only bills I ever received in the mail were from tower controlled fields.

Haven’t landed at MMU, but gotten bills from Caldwell and Trenton

This. Nothing unique or special about an approach into TEB.

The challenge (and what people get violated for) is getting out.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I'd respectfully disagree. I've been flying in and out of TEB for my whole career, and it has always been bit of a unique challenge, both coming in and getting back out. Jets or little airplanes. I've done both many times. Whether it's CPDLC reroutes dropping the SID on the taxi out in a jet, or fitting in with the flow on the ILS 6 CTL 1 in a piston airplane, TEB has always stood alone. Pilots always need to be on their toes, even for "simple" taxi clearances. And be ready to order a pizza from airport ops when you're held in the blocks for a departure off 19!

If someone's interested in Teterboro, just file an IFR flight plan to land at TEB and do as was suggested earlier in the thread. Fly the approach, make a full stop landing and taxi in (Meridian is my favorite FBO there, although I've patronized them all.) Grab a coffee. Take a break. File a flight plan back out. Don't be surprised if you're held for an hour or so, depending on the day of week and time of day - although you might get lucky and receive expeditious handling.

It's going to hit you in the pocketbook a little bit, but if you've never done it, fun experience for the reasonably seasoned instrument pilot!

Gone there many times (TEB) when oldest daughter was young and living in NYC. Bring your good game and plenty of electrical storage (your main battery) AND your avionics. And Ryan’s right. If $9.00 fuel and lots of fees are a problem for you, go to MMU and take the Port Auth. Bus into the city from the Shopping Mall….(?Willowbrook).

Last edited:
File two flight plans.
Go missed. Nothing says you're forced to land.
"12345 is going missed, and would like to open flight plan to XXX."

NY Approach: "N12345, unable. Say intentions."

"Well, I'm already past my EFC time. I can squawk 7600 and keep going missed over and over and over, orrrrrrr you can open up that second flight plan."

But as the OP said practice approach, to me that says it's VFR, so....
"Cancel IFR."

"Well, I'm already past my EFC time. I can squawk 7600 and keep going missed over and over and over, orrrrrrr you can open up that second flight plan."
“Roger…we’ll get that. Hold as published, expect clearance within the hour.”

yeah. . have had a couple Class C's do that as well if you submitted a RR flight plan. Im about an 80 minutes away. I'd like a dry run / practice through to Teterboro before taking family with me there. So not sure how "favorable" they would look at it. Otherwise, ill just file an actual flight plan, land and file another flight plan back. Of course might have to suffer through the flight plan holds/delays and this of course takes more resources for everybody. . hence my question. . lol

Can you depart VFR and get a "pop up" clearance?

The Martha Lunken defense of defective equipment? Bold move cotton...

Well AZO ground did say my transmission was garbled this weekend, so I have a documented history of radio issues. ;)

We don't tell the FAA I was simply mumbling and that's why it seemed broken.

TEB is no better or worse than BOS or any other busy place. Keep the taxiway chart open on the ground and visualize the approach or departure in your head before flying it. Often have the controllers remind of the 1500 feet crossing height restrictions as well. If you can talk on the radio (somewhat fast to boot) NY TRACON is great, if not, not so much.

Not a TEB expert but have been in there probably 30 times, probably IFR 50% of the time. You get a landing fee bill from the same company that does SMO all the way across the country. Which somehow always seemed weird.

Trying to get a instrument practice run in to NYC area and KTEB before hauling the family in at some point in the future.
Why KTEB? There are other airports under the Bravo shelf you can typically do this with (KCDW, KMMU, KFRG, N07). Obviously if you try during a busy time, then you'll get denied, but there are a lot of IFR students in the area - and they're accustomed to helping out.

Why KTEB? There are other airports under the Bravo shelf you can typically do this with (KCDW, KMMU, KFRG, N07). Obviously if you try during a busy time, then you'll get denied, but there are a lot of IFR students in the area - and they're accustomed to helping out.

I have to agree with this. KTEB might be the closest to NYC, but KCDW would only take a few minutes longer to get into the city. I assume the costs would be significantly lower at KCDW. If you looking for even lower costs, N07 (Lincoln Park) would be my next choice.

Back