PPL training in a Arrow

Not saying it can't be done but starting a pilot out with zero hours in a Piper Arrow does not sound like a good idea. Insurance wise he would not be able to solo it till he has 100 tt and 25 retract or 10 hours in type. The idea is to bounce back in forth in the Arrow and a Piper 140 that he could solo. I think the idea is kind of half baked and not practical.
Who owns the Arrow? If it's his/her airplane, and not rented, there's no reason that he/she can not solo it as a student. Just that the insurance company will deny the claim if anything happens while flying solo, as a student, or untill their (ins company) requirements are met.

There was a flight school in Farmington, NM that I believe used Bonanzas for primary training.
Guy here in Canton GA bought a Bo, with never having been in an airplane before, ever, not even flown on an airline. Learned to fly in it.
became a dam good pilot. The Bonanza is the only airplane that he's ever flown, still has it, and still flys it.

I stand corrected. So it is theoretically possible to knock them all out at once.
But you still need 250 hrs to take the commercial, so what's the point of trying to the commercial night stuff while you are still a student pilot?

I wish I had learned in one AND I wish I had bought the airplane when I started. Of course, I didn't know enough then to even know that I didn't know. Now I do know enough.

I stand corrected. So it is theoretically possible to knock them all out at once.

You're still right, but not for the correct reason. One of the eligibility requirements of the commercial rating is that the applicant must hold at least a private pilot certificate or meet the requirements of 61.73 (military pilots).

But you still need 250 hrs to take the commercial, so what's the point of trying to the commercial night stuff while you are still a student pilot?
Someone asked if you could show up for one check ride to cover private, instrument, commercial, and multi if you wanted to get that many hours as a student pilot. I think it’s a terrible idea regardless of whether it’s possible.

He is an A&P. He didn’t ask for any one else’s input or discussion. As per his usual MO, he makes a fairly negative statement and then he disappears from the thread with no further input or response to questions posed of him. Thread after thread of this from him.

No big deal, just a waste of the bandwidth.
giphy.gif

Who owns the Arrow? If it's his/her airplane, and not rented, there's no reason that he/she can not solo it as a student. Just that the insurance company will deny the claim if anything happens while flying solo, as a student, or untill their (ins company) requirements are met.
All the aircraft are Club aircraft the Arrow is not getting the use that the $300 a month insurance rate cost. We have a new member that is zero time but plans on buying a Arrow when he gets his PPL and wants training in the Arrow. My point is that I do not think we are doing him any good switching him from Arrow to 140, he should start and finish in the 140 Their are a lot of other reasons addressed in the above responses, the 100hr insurance rate for the club are not likely to change for one person.

CFII A&P/IA

Last edited:
I got my PPL in my own plane. I bought it 10 hours in. It was a 140, but honestly I didn’t care how long it took. I was able to do solo flight, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I finished in 68, but I really didn’t care. It could have been 100. Certifying in an Arrow seems reasonable if you own it.

It’s an Arrow for Christ’s sake. It barely qualifies as Complex. I got my complex endorsement in one shortly after getting my PPL and t took like 2 or 3 hours transition time.

Also, I call BS on your insurance “requirements.” I got insurance that covered me In An Arrow with less than 100 hours.

Again - it is a PA28. You’re not talking a 200+ knot complex turbine.

My feeling exactly. Yes, you have to raise an lower the gear, and adjust an extra power lever, but neither of those is insurmountable. If the pilot is planning on flying an Arrow after getting his rating, so much the better to learn in one under his instructor's care. So what if it takes an extra 15 hours or so? He'll be a safer Arrow pilot for the experience.

Plus, like @mscard88 said, look at what the armed services is putting their low time students in.

3144_big.jpg

:drool:

Guess I'm missing something. :dunno:

Is he a CFI?
Yes, he is a very high time CFII, with about every ticket except a ATP, I believe he has a balloon instrument rating. :)
He has an Arrow on lease back at the local flying club and gets this question all the time and I believe he's asking for opinions.
but what's he get ? a ration of BS from the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
Context. Anyone else it would have been a discussion. With Brien, it’s bashing and negativity. Of course, that fits this place pretty well.
Unless you know Brien personally I think this post is more about you than him.

My feeling exactly. Yes, you have to raise an lower the gear, and adjust an extra power lever, but neither of those is insurmountable. If the pilot is planning on flying an Arrow after getting his rating, so much the better to learn in one under his instructor's care. So what if it takes an extra 15 hours or so? He'll be a safer Arrow pilot for the experience.

Plus, like @mscard88 said, look at what the armed services is putting their low time students in.

3144_big.jpg

:drool:
Not even flying the Space Shuttle is insurmountable as long as one has the proper training.

Yes, he is a very high time CFII, with about every ticket except a ATP, I believe he has a balloon instrument rating. :)
He has an Arrow on lease back at the local flying club and gets this question all the time and I believe he's asking for opinions.
Why not an ATP??
Wasn't aware a balloon instrument existed. I guess I need to do some homework.

Presuming you have a good CFI and you're not a complete dufus, I see no problem with it, the arrow is a sweetheart of a plane

I thought I gave a reasonable answer Tom.

What if. It's just a what if, beyond ridiculous, BUT. Could it be done to get your Private, Commercial, Instrument and Multi all at once. Ya show up to the Examiner with a single and a twin ready to go, writtens in hand. You ain't never flown with passengers. All your 90 day type and solo endorsements have been kept current. Are there any FAR whatever point whatevers that prevent it? Lets make it real fun. Ya show up with a PC12 and say a C310. Yeah, yeah theres the insurance thing, keep that out of it. Just the FARs

It's a crazy what if and a pain to keep current and acquire all the time with the endorsements, flight time and sign-offs required but I dont see any reason it wouldn't be doable. I mean in theory you could even tack on CFI, CFII and ATP. Plenty of people piggy-back ratings they just usually dont do it until later in their flying career (i.e. Comm+CFI, CFI+CFII, Multi+Comm, Multi+Comm+CFI+CFII+MEI, and dont forget seaplanes!).

I think the biggest issue you'd face is how long the check ride would be, finding a DPE (or FAA Administrator) willing to do that much oral and flight work and of course you being up to the task of doing all that work. I imagine trying to do it all in a single go would take at least a day and probably go into a second and the flight time would probably run about half a day. I'd also expect that short of doing this through a FSDO, the FAA would challenge the IACRA application and you'd end up repeating some of it with an administrator.

But how about this one for a crazy what-if:
Do everything in a Grumman Albatross. You'd get your PPL-MEL/MES, IR, COMM-MEL/MES, Tailwheel, Complex, High-performance and a type rating all in one go.

You're still right, but not for the correct reason. One of the eligibility requirements of the commercial rating is that the applicant must hold at least a private pilot certificate or meet the requirements of 61.73 (military pilots).

Dont know that I agree... I think it'd be treated just like someone who does a multi-engine add-on at the same time as their MEL-commercial or those who fly their commercial from the right seat and do a CFI/Commercial checkride in the same go. You'd do everything you need to do for the PPL first, then the instrument, then the commercial. It's all in the order that the paper work is signed. From the FAA's perspective, while they can challenge it, as soon as the IACRA is signed You are a Private Pilot Certificate holder and can exercise all privileges thereof pending confirmation (receipt of license) or challenge. Doesn't really matter if you're only a PPL for 10 minutes when they sign the Commercial Certificate; you've met the requirement. Also, I dont see that requirement anywhere in the 61.129... Is it somewhere else?

The commercial requirements include solo night takeoffs and landings, which a student pilot cannot do.

I know this has already been commented on but figured I'd point out the reg:
61.87(o) Limitations on student pilots operating an aircraft in solo flight at night. A student pilot may not operate an aircraft in solo flight at night unless that student pilot has received:
(1) Flight training at night on nighg flying procedures that includes takeoffs, approaches, landings, and go-arounds at night at the airport where the solo flight will be conducted;
(2) Navigation training at night in the vicinity of the airport where the solo flight will be conducted; and
(3) An endorsement in the student's logbook for the specific make and model aircraft to be flown for night solo flight by an authorized instructor who gave the training within the 90-day period preceding the date of the flight.

Most CFI's I've worked with dont sign off students for night flight more because the flight school's insurance requires renters to have an Instrument Rating for night flight so they'd be unable to fly at night anyway. Additionally, most instructors leave night flight until near the end of training by which point the student are preparing for the checkride. Flying at night isn't really that beneficial to this process and most of the maneuvers are considerably more risky in the dark; plus if the student is about to be signed off and free to fly at night in the immediate future anyway, what benefit does endorsing them for night flight provide? Especially for the instructor who will no doubt be questioned if something happens on the student's night flight.

I think it was just a crazy what-if question.

I had two students who co-owned an Arrow. Both needed considerable extra time to solo. I did not finish them when they decided it wasn't a big deal that the three green gear down lights didn't work.

That's a student issue and if they had that kind of attitude towards the three green lights, I imagine they'd have that attitude towards other things in flying... Whether it became readily apparent enough that you'd discontinue their training or not is hard to say but if they dont care about the lights working, then what about nav lights? or what power drop during mag testing is greater than allowed? or suction low... There are a hundred different things that, when not experiencing the issue directly, would be impossible to tell what your student would say/do. Lights on the panel though are a nice easy "failure" that can be simulated by the instructor pretty easily or if you're in an older aircraft with fuses, replace one with a burnt out one... circuit breakers dont work as well since it's readily apparent that its popped.

We're all focused on complexity, but if you had to guess which is 'harder' to fly .... Arrow or J-3, which would you say?

This. Though I'd say it depends. If you do Ab Initio training in a tailwheel and then transition to a trike, you'll probably find the arrow more difficult. On the other hand if you do Ab Initio training in a trike and try to transition to a tailwheel, you'll probably say the cub.

I went from a trike to a tailwheel. It took me far more hours to make that transition than I like to admit and was not without its issues. I'm still a new tailwheel pilot with 40 hours and my landings in a tailwheel still need work but I could grease landings in the arrow from the start (mostly because I was flying a PA28 Cherokee prior to transition)

All the aircraft are Club aircraft the Arrow is not getting the use that the $300 a month insurance rate cost. We have a new member that is zero time but plans on buying a Arrow when he gets his PPL and wants training in the Arrow. My point is that I do not think we are doing him any good switching him from Arrow to 140, he should start and finish in the 140 Their are a lot of other reasons addressed in the above responses, the 100hr insurance rate for the club are not likely to change for one person.

CFII A&P/IA

The 100 hr club insurance isn't likely to change but that doesn't mean the student couldn't bring their own insurance policy to supersede the clubs insurance. If the club insures the plane for X and the student brings their own insurance for X, then there shouldn't be an issue (in theory). Club/FBO rules and their insurance policies are the primary restriction that prevent students from doing their PPL in a complex (or high performance or seaplane or...)

From my research, I believe the reason the FAA requires a special endorsement for the complex has more to do with so many pilots learning on a fixed gear plane, transitioning to a retractable and then forgetting to put the gear down and having a gear up landing than it does with the "complex" being "too complex" for students to handle. If you learn from the start to check the gear, you wont have the problem so many of us have when in the future you have to change your tried and true, memory-ingrained flow to include a gear check.

My personal opinion (I'm not a CFI and though I am working on it you should take this opinion with a fair amount of skepticisim) is that you should work with your instructor to identify what you hope to fly in the long term and then fly the closest most complex matching airplane available to you that you are able to handle. It'll build the muscle memory and the knowledge of the airplane.

Personally, I struggle with glass cockpits, I learned on steam gauges and the level of detail and accuracy of glass gives me information overload but I know plenty of new pilots that can fly glass really well but all they know is glass and they cant fly steam at all. We both learned something different and the transition requires unlearning and then relearning.

As to the specific question of changing planes while training; most of students seem to do that regularly. Few flight schools own a fleet of the exact same plane and a 172P differs from a 172R and a 152. Carb-heat, fuel injected, etc, they all have their idiosyncrasies. I dont know that I see a particular problem with the student switching between a PA28 and a PA28R, especially if the more complex PA28R is only being flown under the supervision of an instructor.

Last edited:
I have a Warrior II and an Arrow...and my Kid is learning in both...prefers the Warrior but flies the Arrow if the Warrior is engaged (Leased back to a flight school) or down for maintenance. It really just two PA-28s with one having two more switches, one round and one blue...

When do you 'hold' a private pilot certificate? I'd think it's when the examiner signs on the dotted line. I don't remember getting mine and being told "you have to wait for a day or two to fly. The examiner could conceivably have the paperwork in the plane, sign it and say "now give me a chandelle." Or maybe he'd have to wait a minute or two while 'transmitting' it on his IPad.

Unless you know Brien personally I think this post is more about you than him.
In a forum like this, you only know what is presented. I stand by my assessment of his typical behavior here. This place has become a darn joke.

In a forum like this, you only know what is presented. I stand by my assessment of his typical behavior here. This place has become a darn joke.
One must remember that participation is voluntary.

When do you 'hold' a private pilot certificate? I'd think it's when the examiner signs on the dotted line. I don't remember getting mine and being told "you have to wait for a day or two to fly. The examiner could conceivably have the paperwork in the plane, sign it and say "now give me a chandelle." Or maybe he'd have to wait a minute or two while 'transmitting' it on his IPad.

I think there's also a question of when do you "apply" for a certificate? When you schedule for your written or your oral/practical or is it later? The Integrated Airmen Certification and Rating Application, better known as IACRA, is technically the application and you technically haven't applied until its been submitted. Sort of like having to "apply" for graduation from college, the application isn't asking permission to take the exam, its asking the FAA to certify the results and issue the license. DPE's typically start the flight review with a review of the IACRA and the pilot's hours so that there aren't any "gotchas" that prevent the application from going through that way the pilot can correct any issues before the DPE formally starts the review and charges them.

You have a point, although in practicality I don't believe what you suggest would work unless you made all 8710 applications via paper. That is currently still doable but I imagine there is going to be a day in which it isn't. I also imagine the list of examiners willing to do things this way would be quite short.

It is not doable in IACRA because it will tell you that you do not have a private pilot certificate, which is required to make the application for a commercial certificate. It is not uncommon for an instructor candidate to be required to submit a paper 8710 for their flight instructor checkride since the 8710 for their commercial checkride has not yet been completed.

I think there's also a question of when do you "apply" for a certificate? When you schedule for your written or your oral/practical or is it later? The Integrated Airmen Certification and Rating Application, better known as IACRA, is technically the application and you technically haven't applied until its been submitted. Sort of like having to "apply" for graduation from college, the application isn't asking permission to take the exam, its asking the FAA to certify the results and issue the license. DPE's typically start the flight review with a review of the IACRA and the pilot's hours so that there aren't any "gotchas" that prevent the application from going through that way the pilot can correct any issues before the DPE formally starts the review and charges them.

There is no "technically" about IACRA, it is an electronic 8710 form and it must be submitted and endorsed by the recommending instructor prior to starting the checkride. Or, you use a paper 8710 which must still be completed and signed by the RI prior to the start of the checkride.

Per 61.123, a commercial applicant must hold a private certificate prior to being eligible for taking a commercial checkride so how can an instructor endorse a person to take a checkride who really isn't qualified to do so? I'm sure some would look the other way and just do it but that's not a quality I'd really seek in a good instructor.

You have a point, although in practicality I don't believe what you suggest would work unless you made all 8710 applications via paper. That is currently still doable but I imagine there is going to be a day in which it isn't. I also imagine the list of examiners willing to do things this way would be quite short.

It is not doable in IACRA because it will tell you that you do not have a private pilot certificate, which is required to make the application for a commercial certificate. It is not uncommon for an instructor candidate to be required to submit a paper 8710 for their flight instructor checkride since the 8710 for their commercial checkride has not yet been completed.
Oh well. Guess you'd have to spread it out over a couple days

Oh well. Guess you'd have to spread it out over a couple days

You could do it same day, if you went with paper for the applications beyond the private, but I think you'd have a hard time finding an examiner who would do it all in one flight. You'd likely have two defined checkrides, or three if you wanted private, instrument, and commercial. Examiners can also only do two checkrides a day, or one initial CFI unless they get authorization to do more so that may be a limiting factor as well.

Meanwhile, back at the topic..

Remembering back to my own private training many years ago, if I were the student in question, what I think would have worked best for me would have been to train in the 140 up until a little past solo, then moving to the Arrow. Doing all those consecutive touch and goes that i did prior to solo would be a little less demanding in something with fixed gear and a fixed pitch prop. Not that I don't think it's entirely doable in an Arrow, but if he has good access to a 140, why not put it to good use?

A bit much to take on as a student pilot, learning all there is to know about two planes and the complexity of an Arrow, for a student. That being said, if the person insisted upon it I 'd give it a go.

Complexity of an Arrow? I got my complex in an Arrow and about the only thing it had that the 172 I usually flew didn't have was a controllable pitch prop and folding gear. Oh, and the starting process was different as it had a fuel injected engine and the 172 has a carb. We did have the club requirement (probably driven by insurance) for 100 hrs tt and 10 hours dual before solo, and I hit (by accident) both of those numbers at the same time. First flew the Arrow a year after my PP ride. Club requires a flight review every year and my CFI suggested we do it in the Arrow. The only other difference was that I never bounced a landing in the Arrow (unlike the 172). Once the mains touched down that Hersey bar wing was finished flying. Of course, the glide characteristics are a bit different, too. But "complexity"? Not really.

But "complexity"? Not really.[/QUOTEho

I meant to a new, fresh student pilot, and then flying a 140, switching back and forth between the two. Yes an Arrow isn't very difficult at all or complex, but the OP was talking about a student who apparently wants to fly both. Sure it can be done, and well too. I'd suggest one or the other if I were the CFI, but in the end if they still insisted flying both, let's do it

Things to think about.

Arrow was not designed for primary training, so all those landings will cause the micro switches to require adjustment more often which means drop checks more than a normal. $$$$
Next issue doing slow flight in the arrow when the auto extend/retract.
A PA-28-140 will survive a 45 degree sideways landing and the arrow won't. $$$ If it does survive one landing, what's the chance of it surviving the next annual.
Just a bad idea primary training in the arrow, think about a go around after the auto extend / retract.

I meant to a new, fresh student pilot, and then flying a 140, switching back and forth between the two. Yes an Arrow isn't very difficult at all or complex, but the OP was talking about a student who apparently wants to fly both. Sure it can be done, and well too. I'd suggest one or the other if I were the CFI, but in the end if they still insisted flying both, let's do it
How many things must happen after an auto extend / retract event, before they can make a successful go around, is this a good thing for a student to contend with? How much more training is this going to take to make them safe to solo over a 140?.

How many things must happen after an auto extend / retract event, before they can make a successful go around, is this a good thing for a student to contend with? How much more training is this going to take to make them safe to solo over a 140?.

Been around 41 years since I've flown an Arrow. Forget the procedure so you're asking the wrong person. Sorry.

Been around 41 years since I've flown an Arrow. Forget the procedure so you're asking the wrong person. Sorry.
The bad sequence starts when the student forgets to put the gear down on final when they get slow the gear drops out, now they are decending like a rock, and they must throttle up, flaps up, gear bi-passed, and maintain airspeed, all prior to hitting the ground.
the Arrow doesn't sell for that much, bend the gear, you've totaled the aircraft.

The bad sequence starts when the student forgets to put the gear down on final when they get slow the gear drops out, now they are decending like a rock, and they must throttle up, flaps up, gear bi-passed, and maintain airspeed, all prior to hitting the ground.
the Arrow doesn't sell for that much, bend the gear, you've totaled the aircraft.
Are there really that many Arrows out there still flying with the auto-extend? Every Piper retract I have flown in has had it disabled long enough ago that the placard saying so looks original to the plane.

I have been working on PA-28R for over 30 years not one has ever been used in a club or rental for zero time new pilots. I would like to here from someone who has knowledge of maintenance for one used as a primary trainer. If it was your own Arrow and you used it to do all your training in don't respond, as I want rental/ club use as a primary trainer information.

Are there really that many Arrows out there still flying with the auto-extend? Every Piper retract I have flown in has had it disabled long enough ago that the placard saying so looks original to the plane.

The Piper SB that mandates the removal of the auto-extend was the result of a lawsuit that alleged that auto-extend caused the gear to drop after an engine failure and that caused a fatality because (allegedly) the extended gear shortened the glide and the shortened glide, not the engine failure caused the fatal crash. Never mind that on the top of the emergency checklist for engine failure is to lock the gear up by overriding the auto-extend.

Are there really that many Arrows out there still flying with the auto-extend?
They all came from the factory with it. theres a kit to bypass it.
Do you realize that kit is near $5k now? most old arrows are less than 30k how many do you believe will get modded

Last edited:
I have been working on PA-28R for over 30 years not one has ever been used in a club or rental for zero time new pilots. I would like to here from someone who has knowledge of maintenance for one used as a primary trainer. If it was your own Arrow and you used it to do all your training in don't respond, as I want rental/ club use as a primary trainer information.
Wait,, I must scratch my head over this, If none have ever been used at Primary trainers, how can you get the info you need ? specially from this bunch?

Last edited:
Back