Power on remotely

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
This year I want to fly more than I have in the past. I've seen posted here cell service devices for powering on a device remotely, but my searches have come up empty. I want to power on my engine heater prior to my 35 minute drive. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I used a GSM Auto for years, though I don't know if it still would function, but I suspect such still exists. One thing I did learn is that cell phones don't work inside metal hangars. I solved this my mounting a small external antenna stuck out the eaves.

Before the cell phone thing, I used a combination of a 7-day timer and a mechanical line-voltage thermostat to kick on the heater on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings at 4AM when the temperature was below 45F.

Yes those cell phone devices you mentioned do exist, I remember seeing those forums.

Alternatively, T-Mobile and Verizon offer home and business internet plans which uses cellular data. I did get one and it does work in the hangar, surprisingly the data speeds are significantly faster (300-400mbps) compared to home, even with the hangar door closed. Supposedly their premium plan would give you up to 1gbps. If you have your cell phone plan with them, usually they will offer you the home internet plan for $30/month vs $50/month.

T-mobile offers free 30 day / 30gb hotspots, no credit card needed, input your address and they’ll mail you one in a couple of days. This is a small hotspot device so it’s a bit different than the home internet but you could try that out too.

Once you have internet, you’ll need a WiFi plug, the link below is an outdoor plug that works pretty well, you can individually control each of the two outlets. There are also indoor plugs, you can link light switches, Google home / Alexa to them, to a scheduled routine, or a “Hey Google turn on Airplane heater” while at home.

Wyze Plug Outdoor

With IoT (internet of things), their continued use depends upon the app being supported / continued to being offered, since most of them are free, this business model is not sustainable. I’ve had products that the app stopped working and I couldn’t use the devices anymore. Maybe there’s a workable or maybe it’s done for good, I’m not sure. So find a brand that suits your future needs so that everything works together well. Wyze has a decent offering of products (motion sensors light switches etc) that all play well together.

I tried building my own from Amazon parts. It worked "ok" - but - as services changed 3g, 4g etc... it would always be a pain to get going again. Then there was a SIM card to either renew before it expired or pay for and not need. If it expired and I lost my number, then it was a new SIM card and reprogramming to whitelist numbers.

I changed to Switcheon and have LOVED it. Great customer service and easy to use app that you can schedule routines. I have 3 items that get turned on in the winter. Hours before departure, it will kick on my pre-heater, then shortly after that it will turn on a 100 watt bulb to warm the cowling - and lastly, as I am leaving the house, I kick on a ceramic heater in the cockpit.

Works like a charm and I can always see the status of the device and what it has on or off

Dean

yep; another positive pirep for switcheon. This will be my third winter using it. I had a little trouble late this past winter, and their customer support email was very responsive. We went back and forth a bunch of times and they always responded within minutes. They were about to send me a new box when all of a sudden mine started working again; near as we can tell Verizon must've been working on their tower or otherwise had a failure that took a couple weeks to fix.

I used a GSM switch years ago, worked great. I’m in a heated hangar now though so I no longer need one.

Switheon is what I got. They make 2 and 4 outlet versions. Also support an high gain antenna. James Gallagher has them on sale every so often.

You will need to switch on the engine heat more than 35 minutes before. I do it the night before.

Yeah, the switcheon is the cats (on guard) meow.

Cheaper and more capable:
LTE WiFi - $80

Feit outlets - $10 indoor or $35 outdoor rated.

Tello cellular $6/month for 1GB, data only, and now I have hangar wifi.

T-Mobile Hotspot (+$10/month on family bill)
- Also use if for security camera and back garage door opener
- When we get there the non-Celluar tablets connect and pull latest wx, updates
- On a rare long trip we grab this hotspot and bring it with to have internet for aviation tablet

Camper style magnetic base antenna
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY4Q7DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Way better 4g/5g with this outside the steel siding.

(2) of these wifi remote switches:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB5TQSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
- they show current draw which gives piece of mind that tannis is actually working vs just clicked on
- I have the concorde battery minder on one as well.

...for us in the colder parts of the country I always remote turn the tannis the night before. I don't think 2hrs is enough. I like at least 6+ hours or so when really cold.

Before you go buy any of these cellular devices, I'd check around to see if any of your hangar neighbors already have wifi they'd let you connect to. Or if you're close enough to the FBO, maybe you can still receive their wifi at your hangar. Then you just get one of the wifi switches that you can buy anywhere these days. It may take a little clever mounting of the switch unit or an antenna to get a good signal, but just might work.

Before you go buy any of these cellular devices, I'd check around to see if any of your hangar neighbors already have wifi they'd let you connect to. Or if you're close enough to the FBO, maybe you can still receive their wifi at your hangar. Then you just get one of the wifi switches that you can buy anywhere these days. It may take a little clever mounting of the switch unit or an antenna to get a good signal, but just might work.
That's a great idea. I'm not real far from the FBO, and mounting the antenna shouldn't be all that bad.

I use Kasa TP-Link outlets and switches

Back