Possible PD flying outside bravo towards bravo?

Are you saying that traffic sometimes vanishes from ADS-B as seen by ATC? I did not know that could happen, except at low altitudes where a line-of-sight with towers is lost.
I just recently completed the ADS-B upgrade. On the last few IFR flights up and down the east coast, I have had ATC call out VFR traffic that they had radar paint on, and even though I could see the traffic visually, it wasn’t showing up on my ADS-B feed.

This was on V1 around 6-7000’

No, I agree with Bob that it is annoying when the controller has traffic they are not talking to. Feel free to fly how you want, I am not an advocate of more regulation. I prefer the extra margin of safety I perceive that I get by talking to atc. I also perceive that there would be an additional safety margin if everyone voluntarily talked to atc, ymmv.

My flying may diffe from yours, I am almost always ifr and typically above vfr traffic except when departing and landing. Nothing against vfr guys not talking other than it is annoying sometimes when I hav to adjust my route becasuse no one knows what they are up to. Willing to be annoyed so we can all have the freedom to fly as we desire.

It’s fascinating to me that in the timeframe between the Cerritos accident and all the work done to mitigate that type of collision, we’ve already gone from “thank goodness he vectored me around that traffic” to “traffic vectors are annoying”. LOL.

What was once a fiery ball of 727 and Cessna death less than one generation ago is now “turn 20 right? You’ve GOT to be kidding me!” Hahahah.

First world problems. :)

Are you saying that traffic sometimes vanishes from ADS-B as seen by ATC? I did not know that could happen, except at low altitudes where a line-of-sight with towers is lost.

Google the FAA ADS-B interactive coverage map and play with the altitude slider. There’s whole States with almost no coverage below 5000’ AGL.

No, I agree with Bob that it is annoying when the controller has traffic they are not talking to.
You know when a controller says ‘I’m not talking to him’, it’s not always because it’s non-participating VFR traffic.....

What if they know where the approach paths are, and they circle there anyway? What FAR are you going to misapply to them?

See my previous statement...just cuz you can does not mean you should. Shut down the approach path to a commercial airport doing loopty loops and guarantee they will find something if not 91.13.

...but everyone is taking this call from ATC as enforcement...when in reality it was education to make sure the pilot understood the resulting consequences of his actions. While yes, you can legally say "F#@K OFF", that blatant self absorbed disregard for others spilling from society into the skies isn't gonna do anyone in aviation a bit of good.

I have been making the run from MRB to my place on the Chesapeake for 24 years--when I first started ( having been trained in SoCal and not bothered at all about going through TCA, er, class B) I tried to call and really got the cold shoulder, they could not be bothered. So the past 24 years I have been "hugging" for lack of a better word the B and now the SFRA, usually about 2 miles outside. Never had any problems. If I am going to a port inside C or B its not a big deal but otherwise keep quiet and it seems to work just fine.

It’s fascinating to me that in the timeframe between the Cerritos accident and all the work done to mitigate that type of collision, we’ve already gone from “thank goodness he vectored me around that traffic” to “traffic vectors are annoying”. LOL.

What was once a fiery ball of 727 and Cessna death less than one generation ago is now “turn 20 right? You’ve GOT to be kidding me!” Hahahah.

First world problems. :)

Google the FAA ADS-B interactive coverage map and play with the altitude slider. There’s whole States with almost no coverage below 5000’ AGL.

Agree that these are first world problems. I think the fact that we have time and reason to post on here = first world problems.

Obviously I am not annoyed that I am kept safe by vectoring around traffic, however we often vectored around traffic that wouldn't be a factor if the controller knew what they were up to. I find it fascinating that some pilots that want to point out that is perfectly legal and their right to fly around not talking to anyone would be the first to consider it foolish to enter a busy uncontrolled airport patter with the radio off. We all have our comfort level. I love to be in the system IFR, but I certainly understand the appeal of flying long distances with music playing and not talking to anyone. The good news is that the system works fairly well.

You know when a controller says ‘I’m not talking to him’, it’s not always because it’s non-participating VFR traffic.....

Actually I didn't know that. When would a controller not be talking to an aircraft and not know what they are doing?

Actually I didn't know that. When would a controller not be talking to an aircraft and not know what they are doing?

VFR MTRs was the only other time I used that phraseology. They’re up internal freq, squawking 4000 doing their own thing. In some MOAs the military aircraft will be up a separate freq other than ATC as well. You can also get a “point out” from another controller for an aircraft to enter your airspace without a freq change. You’d have a basic understanding of what that aircraft is doing though. Not many examples but a few.

It’s one of those things on which are found on either side of a river but that’s not important right now.

I thought it was that tippy thingy that makes airplanes turn, at first, but then he said there was a fortune teller involved...

VFR MTRs was the only other time I used that phraseology. They’re up internal freq, squawking 4000 doing their own thing. In some MOAs the military aircraft will be up a separate freq other than ATC as well. You can also get a “point out” from another controller for an aircraft to enter your airspace without a freq change. You’d have a basic understanding of what that aircraft is doing though. Not many examples but a few.
Thanks!

That is the assumption that is incorrect which is what struck my nerve. IFR arrivals and departures extend WELL outside C, D and B airspace. If a pilot chooses not to participate in FF in busy airspace and doing circles in the approach path of a commercial airport because they failed to properly brief the airspace, that is only gonna lead to an expansion of the controlled airspace if more and more pilots take that mentality...even though it is perfectly legal.

By that logic, bud, we should extend arrivals’, departures’, and all commercial flights’ airspace to include everything between origination and destination from ground level to infinity. Well done.

When the sector controller next to them or above/below them told them on the land line. :) :) :)

The first time I ever heard a controller say that to me was in San Diego. I was IFR flying into the same airport in the OP (MYF).

It was a Southwest 737 that had just departed from SAN and missed the handoff. I was in IMC and had just been given a final vector cleared for the approach. 10 seconds later the controller (with a very stressed voice) cancels my approach clearance and vectors me immediately 90 degrees to the right saying ‘I’ve got a 737 heading right at you and I’m not talking to him’.

Also heard it it in some cases for military traffic line as Velocity suggested.

The first time I ever heard a controller say that to me was in San Diego. I was IFR flying into the same airport in the OP (MYF).

It was a Southwest 737 that had just departed from SAN and missed the handoff. I was in IMC and had just been given a final vector cleared for the approach. 10 seconds later the controller (with a very stressed voice) cancels my approach clearance and vectors me immediately 90 degrees to the right saying ‘I’ve got a 737 heading right at you and I’m not talking to him’.

Also heard it it in some cases for military traffic line as Velocity suggested.

Forgot, lost commo also. ;)

See my previous statement...just cuz you can does not mean you should. Shut down the approach path to a commercial airport doing loopty loops and guarantee they will find something if not 91.13.
Find something? How is flying in Class E careless and reckless? It isn't. Even if you're flying in the approach path of a commercial airport. That's exactly why we have A, B, C, & D airspace. If the FAA doesn't want me flying it without taking to someone, they know how to make that happen. I fly out of an airport under a B's outer shelf. They're not supposed to bring big iron in under the shelf, but they do. And guess who gets called out when there's a conflict?

...but everyone is taking this call from ATC as enforcement...when in reality it was education to make sure the pilot understood the resulting consequences of his actions. While yes, you can legally say "F#@K OFF", that blatant self absorbed disregard for others spilling from society into the skies isn't gonna do anyone in aviation a bit of good.
Is it self-absorbed disregard for others to follow the rules and expect others to as well? That's pretty bizarre. Is it self absorbed to expect controllers not to tell pilots, "Possible pilot deviation . . ." when it isn't remotely true?

You seriously don't think that doing maneuvers in a published approach path of commercial airport either totally ignorantly because you did not properly brief all aspects of the airspace or intentionally cuz you just don't give a d@mn causing passenger carrying airliners to go around or divert is not careless operation just because you are in E?...OK, then.

I think it's bad airspace design. . .and bad approach design...and bureucratic arrogance, spiced with management incompetence. . .leaving the ATC worker bee to try to do something to mitigate as best he/she could. And going too far with calling it a possible PD.

The OP didn't cause a go around - the FAA did; they set the situation in motion. And a VFR only pilot owns no obligation to read and understand approach plates or instrument procedures - his obligation is to respect the charted airspace on a TAC or sectional. If that leaves people endangered, the flaw lies elsewhere.

I think it's bad airspace design. . .and bad approach design...and bureucratic arrogance, spiced with management incompetence. . .leaving the ATC worker bee to try to do something to mitigate as best he/she could. And going too far with calling it a possible PD.

The OP didn't cause a go around - the FAA did; they set the situation in motion. And a VFR only pilot owns no obligation to read and understand approach plates or instrument procedures - his obligation is to respect the charted airspace on a TAC or sectional. If that leaves people endangered, the flaw lies elsewhere.

Thinking like that will fix the so called ‘bad airspace design’ and ‘bureaucratic arrogance’. All commercial/IFR flights will take place entirely in protected airspace. Air space which will be expanded to encompass all possible flights. VFR can pound the remaining sand.

Well done. However it will move us closer to fully automated flight, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thinking like that will fix the so called ‘bad airspace design’ and ‘bureaucratic arrogance’. All commercial/IFR flights will take place entirely in protected airspace. Air space which will be expanded to encompass all possible flights. VFR can pound the remaining sand.

Well done. However it will move us closer to fully automated flight, so there’s that.

I don't think any of that will solve the technical issues with fully automated flight.

Which would be further examples of bureaucratic arrogance. The only surefire way to cut that problem off at the pass is better airspace design to begin with. Although I am with those who say it is better to be talking to (and complying with) ATC when near busy airspace that accommodates heavy iron, I also agree that the fault does not lie with the nonparticipating VFR pilot if separation limits are violated because ATC failed to provide adequate separation from traffic in the underlying Class E.

There have been a number of Bravo redesigns in the past decade, and if considerations like these were a motivating factor, then I'd say it was long overdue.

I’m thinking that while Bravo space can always be improved, it’s working well. And I don’t think non-participating VFR are a problem. We can all share the airspace with swiveling heads and common sense on the part of pilots and ATC, the non-violation phone call included. Post flight reviews are sometimes appropriate. The alternative; non-talking target stays on straight course and a GA/airliner crash occurs while ATC watches.

Getting all non-automated traffic out of the airspace would solve some technical issues, how could it not?

I’m so sick of ‘us and them’ and gd ‘rights’! It’s all us and we share a responsibility for safety.

Based on the limited information from the article, I don’t think you can put fault on anyone. The controllers were never angry with the pilot. The pilot didn’t seem like he was intentionally trying to cause a problem and they were outside the B. SAN’s B is designed to contain the IAP or charted visual within the B so there’s no way he was in any real hazard to the Airbus.

If this pilot was on the north end of the SFC B heading south and then hung a right towards the west (MYF) like he said, there’s a chance he set off a conflict alert. CAs are designed to go off well in advance of a loss of sep. generally that’s set to 3 / 1000 ft for terminal. Having sat in front of a scope at Miramar for over a year, CAs and MSAWs go off all the time. The vast majority of them are false alarms or alerts that don’t require controller action. What ever action is taken is subjective because a safety alert is always a controller’s judgment.

Even if the pilot was communicating with ATC, that doesn’t mean the Airbus wouldn’t be doing a go around. Plenty of times you can have CAs or even TCAS going off while in communication with ATC. If they don’t see each other, the controller or the pilot is going to take action.

We can try and put blame on someone or something but the reality is the system did its job. Perhaps a bit over cautious in my opinion but that’s the way it was designed. In airspace as dense as SoCal, these things are gonna happen.

Last edited:

Airspace will expand or contract based on the different player's agendas, political clout, and maybe a dash of common sense. Fully automated flight is as likely as fully automated boating. . .

Airspace will expand or contract based on the different player's agendas, political clout, and maybe a dash of common sense. Fully automated flight is as likely as fully automated boating. . .

Or fully automated driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So if I’m reading this right, we’re planning a POA fly in where we all do VFR laps around the outside edge of an inner Bravo ring under the shelf?

Flight of twenty?

And we’re all not going to utilize VFR advisories?

Whoooo hoooo! LOL.

They seem very paranoid about busts around the San Diego area. I've never had that situation the OP quoted, but ATC does seem more vigilant confirming headings, altitudes, VOR radials, etc.

Probably as a result of the 727/C-172 collision back in 1978. I can understand that. I worked for the Navy at the time as we were a traveling organization. Two people from my organization got off that 727 at its previous stop and my best friend was scheduled to take it to SAN that day, but cancelled due to illness. Yes, I would imagine the controllers around San Diego are paranoid, and I don't blame them. I still hate it when I see the picture of that 727 going down in flames.

I don't blame them
Yes and just a few years ago over Brown field there was a miscommunication, I actually ATC was at least partly to blame for that, that resulted in a middar

So if I’m reading this right, we’re planning a POA fly in where we all do VFR laps around the outside edge of an inner Bravo ring under the shelf?

Flight of twenty?

And we’re all not going to utilize VFR advisories?

Whoooo hoooo! LOL.

It's a contest. Whoever gets closest without actually busting gets an all expenses paid vacation for two to the nearest FSDO. Dude, the whole plane wasn't in. I wasn't in, just the right wing

Yes and just a few years ago over Brown field there was a miscommunication, I actually ATC was at least partly to blame for that, that resulted in a middar
As I recall, the Tower got primary cause on that one.

It's a contest. Whoever gets closest without actually busting gets an all expenses paid vacation for two to the nearest FSDO. Dude, the whole plane wasn't in. I wasn't in, just the right wing

As long as @SixPapaCharlie pulls the chute, he can cross the line without penalty and we all lose to him. ;)

Well just read the new Flying. Still don’t see why they sent the Airbus around.

The pilot was over the Sweatwater Res due east of SAN. He was heading directly west at roughly 1,600 ft at the SFC B. ATC thought he was going to penetrate the B so they sent the Airbus above him around. Now, I can understand if the approaches go below the B or the guy was actually in the B but they don’t and he wasn’t. If the Airbus was doing the visual, the altitude in that area would be at least 2,500 ft. If they were doing the LOC or the RNAV, the altitude would be at least 2,700 ft. No even close.

Still think ATC was overreacting in a situation that allowed plenty reaction time if necessary.

They seem very paranoid about busts around the San Diego area. I've never had that situation the OP quoted, but ATC does seem more vigilant confirming headings, altitudes, VOR radials, etc

Unless you are really just doing the La Jolla coastal route or going out to a practice area I really don't understand why everyone doesn't just use flight following

#safespace

View attachment 61689

I learned to fly at CRQ, then was a member of Golden Wings and Plus One at MYF for several years.. I would always ask ground when leaving MYF for a handoff to departure to pick up Flight following. Too much going on in a small area around there.. With Miramar just to the north, and SAN just to the south, it just seemed like a no brainer.

Wasn’t there a collision several years back (1970’s ?) in SAN between a small airplane and a 727 ?
Perhaps the ghost looms....

Wasn’t there a collision several years back (1970’s ?) in SAN between a small airplane and a 727 ?
Perhaps the ghost looms....
1978 ... a 172 practicing instrument approaches “under the control of San Diego Approach Control” in CAVU conditions, rear-ended by the 727 turning a right base on a visual approach for 27. Crew reported traffic in sight, but there was a question whether he was seeing a second aircraft in the area.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR7905.pdf

Last edited:
Back