PoA Jet Ski Project

Fair question(s) since I've never done this before. I'm laying the spark plugs, connected to their leads, on the head, with the spark plug...ends(?)...laying right next to an engine bolt. My understanding is that this is how I should do it. Let me know if I'm mistaken!

The spark plugs are brand new, right out of the box.

Thanks.

The spark plug wire is one wire of the circuit. The circuit is completed by metal to metal contact with the head when installed in the head. You need to be sure that the metal part of the spark plug is in direct contact with unpainted metal of the block to have a good connection. If you do not have the plug grounded to the block you probably won't get a spark. Make sure the plug is grounded ( in contact with bare metal on the block).

Edit: you look good from the pictures you posted, just make sure you are touching and look up the wire and make sure the spark isn't jumping outside the plug. (bad wire)

Last edited:
Thanks Paul and Jesse. Let me make sure each plug is touching a bolt and try again.

[edit]: Paul, your note about "completing the circuit" was a good one. The reason for ensuring plug to bare metal contact wasn't entirely clear to me until then.

Last edited:
Will continue tomorrow. Have to figure out how to get better access to the underside of the ignition switch, which is buried way up under the steering column.

I can see the underside of the switch, including the white wire coming out of it. But I can't really figure out how to get the switch off/apart without better access. The wires just disappear into the underside of the cylindrical switch housing. I assume I don't want to yank or snip out the white wire from the underside of the switch, but rather disassemble the switch and remove the white wire.

I have also partially disassembled the start/stop switch housing to check for corrosion and prepare for troubleshooting if needed.

More to come. Thanks all.

Where is the ignition control module? It's most likely bad as its the most common point of failure in an electronic ignition system.

Where is the ignition control module? It's most likely bad as its the most common point of failure in an electronic ignition system.

I don't see anything called an ignition control module. It looks like my primary points of component failure for a no spark condition are:

1. Faulty or fouled plugs (eliminated due to new plugs)
  2. Faulty plug wire insulation
  3. Faulty CDI igniter ($400+ OEM new)
  4. Faulty ignition coil
  5. Faulty magneto
  6. Battery voltage low (battery new and reads 12.4V with multimeter; interestingly, service manual says this is "insufficient charge" and wants 12.8V or higher)
Also, further review this morning reveals a Molex plug downstream from the ignition key switch assembly. I didn't see it last night and was trying to figure out how to get the whole ignition key assembly out of the boat.

Doc: Can I pull the white wire from the Molex plug instead of the back of the ignition switch assembly? I'm not sure the it comes out of the switch assembly. Assembly looks like this (first photo, and other orange ones).

I don't see anything called an ignition control module. It looks like my primary points of component failure for a no spark condition are:

4. Faulty ignition coil
  5. Faulty magneto
  6. Battery voltage low (battery new and reads 12.4V with multimeter; interestingly, service manual says this is "insufficient charge" and wants 12.8V or higher)
Also, further review this morning reveals a Molex plug downstream from the ignition key switch assembly. I didn't see it last night and was trying to figure out how to get the whole ignition key assembly out of the boat.

Doc: Can I pull the white wire from the Molex plug instead of the back of the ignition switch assembly? I'm not sure the it comes out of the switch assembly. Assembly looks like this (first photo, and other orange ones).

It'll be the CDI igniter, that's the control unit.

4. Faulty ignition coil
  5. Faulty magneto

This is where your volt/ohm meter comes in handy. Instead of pulling switches apart, isolate the wires at connectors and check for continuity.

It'll be the CDI igniter, that's the control unit.

I wouldn't buy new one until I was sure every thing else was working correctly. Nothing worse than spending $400 and finding out it was a $15 switch, or worse, a loose connection.

Yes. Start there since it's exposed.

We haven't covered the temp safety kill switches yet. That's next after the white wire.

Well, it sure looks like I have to remove all the bolted-on steering column covers to access the Molex plug to the ignition switch. It's stuffed up under there. I can see the bottom of the switch with the wires disappearing up into it. And that bundle of wires disappears up into the space in front of the steering column. I could perhaps pull the switch up from the top of the boat, but it looks like that would involve prying it up. It appears to be affixed with some sort of glue. I attempted to pry it up but started taking chunks out of the orange plastic. I got sort of frustrated by it.

It's the orange cylindrical thing:
ignition switch.jpeg

Since the goal is to leave the white wire open, would pulling the white wire connector out of the Molex plug closest to the CDI igniter (which is where that end of the white wire begins before splitting off from the e-box to the rest of the boat) serve at least to tell us anything? It seems like if that's the kill circuit, and I pull it out of the Molex connector at the CDI, if I still get no spark we at least know it's not a problem with the kill circuit at the stop/start switch or the ignition switch. (Edit: thinking about that a bit more, it wouldn't eliminate the potential for an issue at the ignition or stop switch, but it would mean that we've at least also got an additional issue downstream. Right?)

I attempted to get that white wire out of the Molex connector but couldn't get it done. So I rigged an embarrassing contraption with what I had on hand, connecting just the two non-white-wire terminals between the connector at the CDI:

embarrassing.jpeg

Cranked with no spark.

Also attached are some photos of the stop switch guts and terminals. They're quite clean.

Attachments

• stop terminals.jpg
    stop terminals.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
You could just leave them all disconnected in that molex. The gray and black/white are for the tach output. Leave the white wire molex connector disconnected for the next tests.

If still no spark, then next test is the air temp and coolant(water) temp safety switches. Turn the ignition key on and check for a warning light for water temp or engine temp. Will likely be amber or red. It may come on briefly, then go out, or it may not come on at all.

The water temp sensor should be a brass plug fitted into the engine, near or on the head. This measures the temp of the engine and will shut off the ignition in case it gets too hot. The switch is a thermo-switch that is normally open. Closing the switch will stop the spark. You will do two similar tests, and now you get to use your multimeter.

Once you locate the temp sensor switch on the engine, it will have a wire harness coming off it. Remove the harness from the sensor and insure the wires aren't touching anything. The wire colors are red/yellow trace, and black/yellow trace. Crank the engine check for spark. If no spark, we will test the indicator circuit which is driven by the ignitor in the e-box, and the sensor.

Put your leads in the multimeter in the resistance or OHMS connector, and not the VOLTAGE connector(it may be the same connector). Put the red probe on one lead of the sensor, and the black probe on the other sensor lead. We are checking for open circuit which is usually displayed by "-1.---" or "-1.999" depending on what kind of meter you have. The range selector should be on the 2 ohm scale. If you are showing an open circuit, then touch the two probes together briefly and the meter should read very low resistance: ".012" or lower, indicating a short from one probe to the other.

Now, using a paper clip that is unbent, short the wires in the harness from the sensor together. This simulates a switch closure of the thermo switch and when you turn on the ignition switch, check the display for a temp warning lit. This will verify the circuitry in the ignitor inside the e-box.

If this is all in order, and the sensor reads open circuit, and the indicator light comes on when the paper clip is shorting the wires, then the water temp safety system is working. Reconnect the two wires back onto the water temp sensor, turn on the ignition and verify you do NOT have a temp indicator light.

Next we will do the exact same test for the air temp sensor. I have no idea where the air temp sensor is located in the bay, but only that it will be up high. May be the best bet in this case it to find the air temp sensor wires inside the e-box, locate the waterproof passthrough harness, and just follow that small harness to it's end. The three wires coming out of the igniter are; black/white, black/red, yellow/black. They should go into a bundle together and exit the e-box inside a black harness. Hunt it down, and do the same tests as we did with the water temp, except there is no warning light for air temp.

So, remove wires from air sensor, crank engine, check for spark, use meter on the sensor leads, insure it's open circuit, then put wires back on the sensor.

If still no spark we need to move into the magneto, and this is going to get worse. Also a good time to charge your batt.

Thanks Doc! That was a really detailed response and I thank you. Will probably do some more tomorrow and early next week.

Here's the multimeter I got. Cheap, decent reviews.

Two additional notes: my temp sensor light has been coming on briefly when I turn ignition on, then going out. And I am emailing with a guy in Orlando who claims to have a working CDI from a 900 zxi. $30 used according to the Craigslist ad. If I can snap it up I'll probably do so. At that price it's worth it to have it just in case. I'll just take the risk that it may not be functional.

Only able to work a bit tonight. I completely disconnected the white Molex plug with the white kill and tach circuits. Crank but no spark. Left it disconnected.

Confirmed temp light illuminates at ignition switch on, then goes out. Located the water temperature sensor. It is mounted to underside of the hull just beneath the steering column. It is in-line with the "bypass hose".

Location.jpeg

From the service manual:

Whenever the cooling water temperature is rises to 95 degrees C (203 F) or higher, the contacts in the temperature sensor does (sic) and the igniter works to cut spark intermittently. The engine speed decreases to 3,500 rpm.

Unfortunately, the sensor is a self-contained unit and the wires are not exposed at the back of the sensor.

sensor.jpeg

The nearest wiring connectors are all the way back in the e-box. I followed the wires from sensor all the way back. There are two single-post connectors. R/Y and B/Y come from the igniter into each connector. R/Y splits in two and one goes somewhere. The other R/Y and the B/Y combine and head all the way to the temp sensor.

sensor connectors.jpeg

I disconnected both e-box connectors and tested crank -- no spark. (This also disconnects the single R/Y that splits off; not sure what if anything that does to my crank/spark test.)

I stopped there. Can I do my multimeter test at the e-box connectors? Or does that R/Y split screw it up? Or could I poke my multimeter leads through the wire insulation up near the sensor? To use the paperclip to short the two wires and check for the temp sensor light to come on, could I simply poke it through both wires and connect the two electrically?

More work next week. Have a great Friday and weekend everyone.

I wouldn't buy new one until I was sure every thing else was working correctly. Nothing worse than spending $400 and finding out it was a $15 switch, or worse, a loose connection.

For sure, but it's a $400 part for a reason, it was built as the weak link in the system for parts and service revenue, that's where the real profit is.

BTW, look on eBay, you may find a lower cost option.

Confirmed temp light illuminates at ignition switch on, then goes out. Located the water temperature sensor. It is mounted to underside of the hull just beneath the steering column. It is in-line with the "bypass hose".

The nearest wiring connectors are all the way back in the e-box. I followed the wires from sensor all the way back. There are two single-post connectors. R/Y and B/Y come from the igniter into each connector. R/Y splits in two and one goes somewhere. The other R/Y and the B/Y combine and head all the way to the temp sensor.

I disconnected both e-box connectors and tested crank -- no spark. (This also disconnects the single R/Y that splits off; not sure what if anything that does to my crank/spark test.)

I stopped there. Can I do my multimeter test at the e-box connectors? Or does that R/Y split screw it up? Or could I poke my multimeter leads through the wire insulation up near the sensor? To use the paperclip to short the two wires and check for the temp sensor light to come on, could I simply poke it through both wires and connect the two electrically?

More work next week. Have a great Friday and weekend everyone.

If the lamp comes on and goes off, that may be a lamp test. Make sure the wires to both water and air sensors are disconnected before they go into the ignitor module and that's good enough. As long as the wires are not going into the itnitor, then it can't show a closed circuit and will not affect the spark. Both sensor wires need to be disconnected. Then check your lamp as it's a separate light and wire.

I would buy the e-box from CL, but who knows if it works? Your multimeter is fine, it has the ohms symbol in white and is autoranging.

<edited after looking at pics.>

Last edited:
If the lamp comes on and goes off, that may be a lamp test. Make sure the wires to both water and air sensors are disconnected before they go into the ignitor module and that's good enough. As long as the wires are not going into the itnitor, then it can't show a closed circuit and will not affect the spark. Both sensor wires need to be disconnected. Then check your lamp as it's a separate light and wire.

I would buy the e-box from CL, but who knows if it works? Your multimeter is fine, it has the ohms symbol in white and is autoranging.

<edited after looking at pics.>

Agree it's a lamp test. Also if I'm not mistaken, my water temp sensor is located in-line with the hose that spits cooling water out of the ****er on the starboard side. They're calling this the bypass hose. So it's measuring that water temp. Page from manual attached.

Next week I'll make sure to get a few tests in with the temp and air sensor wires disconnected from the igniter to be sure we've eliminated that as an issue.

Sent $30 + shipping via PayPal to the seller who's got the cheap CDI/igniter. We'll see how that works out.

Attachments

• manual page.pdf
    133.8 KB · Views: 6
Some luck, and additional progress tonight.

Got out to the ski and finished my water temp sensor kill circuit test. I made sure R/Y and BK/Y leads that come from the igniter to the temp sensor were disconnected, then cranked. No spark.

Today in the mail my $30+shipping used igniter came in from a guy over in Orlando. Interestingly, it's part number 21119-3744, which was the replacement part for deprecated part 21119-3737, which is what I pulled out of the ski. I spent a bit of time cleaning all the connectors and decided to just throw it in the ski and test it; it's quick because it's all plug-n-play. Got it all hooked up and gave it a crank test and...I see spark! It seems I may have just gotten real lucky.

Having not really ever seen a sparking plug (that I can recall), it's not clear to me whether this is a "good" spark. But it's certainly progress. Here's a video:

In my excitement, I failed to check the middle plug for spark, so I'll go do that shortly. In the meantime, let me do a short list of what we know:

• The starter and starter relay work
  • The start/stop/trim switch functions
  • The ignition switch works
  • The water temp sensor is at least not killing the spark
  • The igniter works and most other e-box components appear to work (unclear about the regulator)

Would love some tips on what my next steps should be.

Thanks to all of your continued support in this thread. I don't care what they say, ya'll are pretty awesome.

I've been following this thread every day just for fun. I have to admit that this is exciting news!

I've been following this thread every day just for fun. I have to admit that this is exciting news!

Thanks, Gerhardt. It is abundantly clear that we have people with incredible knowledge here on the forums. And they share that knowledge freely. We're at six pages of folks helping, with DocMirror leading the way. Pilots are an amazing bunch.

I started out knowing nothing about anything related to jet skis. Already learned a ton.

Did you ever get fresh gas in it? If so, I'd throw the plugs in, do the fuel line prime per the service manual, confirm the safety fob is on, and the fuel line is on, choke on, and crank.

Don't let it run for more very long given how we don't know if the oil pump works, etc. A few seconds should be fine. Can technically go to 30 seconds without providing water, but I stay far from that number. Based on the result of the crank test we can figure out where to go next.

They are cold blooded and if there's no fuel in the lines it will take a LOT of cranking to get it running. I initially skipped this step on my ski and couldn't get it to start with the new motor until I finally primed the system.

Last edited:
Did you ever get fresh gas in it? If so, I'd throw the plugs in, do the fuel line prime per the service manual, confirm the safety fob is on, and the fuel line is on, choke on, and crank.

Don't let it run for more very long given how we don't know if the oil pump works, etc. A few seconds should be fine. Can technically go to 30 seconds without providing water, but I stay far from that number. Based on the result of the crank test we can figure out where to go next.

They are cold blooded and if there's no fuel in the lines it will take a LOT of cranking to get it running. I initially skipped this step on my ski and couldn't get it to start with the new motor until I finally primed the system.

Gas tank is still dry and my fuel pickup is sitting on top of the tank. I was considering going ahead and ordering the oil block off kit for $15 since I've already got the line disconnected, the tank out, and stuff all unbolted in the ski. Then I could throw premix in for further engine testing.

I could put the oil tank back on but I may need to close up the ebox to do that, and I had plans to put dielectric grease on all the connections and seal everything up real nice.

[EDIT] - SBT is located here in Clearwater. Looks like I could pick up the oil blockoff kit at the showroom.

Last edited:
Woohoo! That's a fine looking spark. Let me ask a few questions: Are all the sensors and wires hooked up to the new e-box? Including the white wire to the ign switch and red button? If so, it sounds like you had a bad ignitor box in your e-box. It's nice to have spare parts, but the other bene is you've checked all your 'no spark' conditions except the magneto and validated that they all function as designed. If not, I suggest you hook one circuit wire pair at a time back to the e-box and check for spark each time.

Presuming all the wires are in where they belong, we now move on to water and fuel. Look on the top, and around the water piping for something that looks like a hose end(bib) with a plug in it. Might be white plastic, or blue, or black. It'll have knurled grippy ridges on it like a plastic hose end that hooks to the water spigot outside. If you have this, and many do, this is your shore rinse connections. You can simply take that plug out of the hose bib end and connect your water hose up to it for cooling/rinsing water before we test run.

As Jesse says, if you get impatient, you can squirt a bit of carb cleaner in the spark plug holes, put the plugs in and it will fire for a very short run. this just validates you have spark in the hole and compression.

As for fuel, since you don't know the condition of any of the lines, or vapor return, or if there is a priming bulb or anything else, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy for the next bit of work. Lets assume the fuel system is copacetic because you found two definite faults with the electronics and the seller didn't mention anything about the fuel system.

You will see three hoses coming out of the fuel tank. One is for regular fuel flow to the carbs from the "on" position of the fuel selector, the other is from the "Res" position of the fuel tank, and the last is vapor return to the tank. There may be a vent at the top, or down where the fuel filler is and it should have an anti-siphon valve in it to protect water ingress.

A word of warning here. The fuel that is in the bottom of the tank, is in the 'reserve' area. Quite often that fuel is filled with grit, sand, gunk, and you absolutely don't want it going through your pipes, and carb. Yes, there is a filter, but it's best not to run that gas in the reserve part of the tank through the engine. If you can locate the reserve line, it might even be labelled on the line as "reserve" or have an "R-1", or "R-out" printed on it. Remove that line from the fuel selector valve, and dump the fuel into a container. Maybe put a quart of fresh in there, shake the ski a bit and dump that too. I've found some pretty sour crap in there and just when you need reserve fuel, if it's gunky, that'll stop up the ski and you have a real job cleaning out the carbs. Once done, put the reserve line back on the fuel selector switch.

Next, locate the output of the fuel selector to the carbs. You can work backward from the carbs, and it's best to take off that large gray fire suppresor on the right side. Once you have that line located, look and see if there is an oblong squeeze bulb in the line. This is a priming bulb, and all Yamahas have them from about 1993 on. Some Kaws have them, some don't. If you don't have one, no prob, you can pressurize the fuel system with -- your mouth!

I don't recall if the oil tank has oil in it or not. If it does, pinch off the line from the tank to the carbs with a forceps or similar. We don't want to be pumping a bunch of oil into the engine as we are going to pre-mix for now. There may be some debate on what ratio to use, but we'll be conservative right now and use 32:1 fuel to oil. If you have synthetic 2-stroke oil, don't use it yet, it mixes at higher ratios but the ski hasn't run for a long time and I want to keep lots of oil on the cylinders, and in the crankcase.

This ratio is very easy to remember, and you can't go wrong with pretty much any of the dino based 2-stroke oil. I'll be straight up with you, I run 2-stroke oil from WalMart in my Kaw, and Yamaha, and never had a bit of trouble with oiling until my son's friend jumped the Yam at full throttle and over-revved it. You pick whatever dino oil suits your fancy. Might as well buy gallon jugs, cause you're gonna need it next summer.

1 oz per quart, 4 oz per gallon, 20 oz per 5 gal jerry can. Mix up 2 gallons like this: In a clean 5 gallon jerry can, pour in 4 oz of 2-stroke oil. Now, fill with 1 gallon of gas. Put the lid on, and shake it a bit side to side in a swirl. Add 4 oz of 2-stroke oil, and fill with the next gallon of gas. We do this to distribute the oil evenly in the mix. If you have to pour oil into sitting gas can, insure you shake it well. Agitate it plenty before pouring into the ski.

Pour the two gallons of pre-mix into the fuel tank. Put the fuel selector to "on". If you have a priming bulb, start squeezing it until it gets good and firm. If you don't have a priming bulb, take a deep breath and blow into the fuel filler for a while. You need to get the fuel into the carbs before it will draw into the jets and fire the engine. Pull the choke knob all the way out, check the carbs and the choke plates at the top of the carb should close. Put the lanyard on the stop button, and push the green button. If you have a water rinse line hooked up, start the water and just let it run. If the engine fires, push in the choke about half way, and rev it to keep it running. You WILL see blue smoke come out the back exhaust duct. Within 2 minutes, you must have warm water coming out the pee tube where your water sensor was, and you must have warm water coming out the exhaust. If you don't have water coming out the pee tube and exhaust, shut the engine off and look for water inside the ski body.

Advise on how it goes. Check your temp warning light doesn't come on, and your gas gauge reads about a quarter or less.

<edit: the line from the fuel tank will go to a small diaphram fuel pump module, and then to the carbs. There will also be a line going into the crankcase from the small fuel pump module. Sorry, forgot they have a pumper type fuel pump.>

Last edited:
Gas tank is still dry and my fuel pickup is sitting on top of the tank. I was considering going ahead and ordering the oil block off kit for $15 since I've already got the line disconnected, the tank out, and stuff all unbolted in the ski. Then I could throw premix in for further engine testing.

I could put the oil tank back on but I may need to close up the ebox to do that, and I had plans to put dielectric grease on all the connections and seal everything up real nice.

[EDIT] - SBT is located here in Clearwater. Looks like I could pick up the oil blockoff kit at the showroom.

See instructions above. Ignore the stuff about the oil pinching. I think the oil block off kit is the way to go. I still use the oil pump system in my Kaw, but I use pre-mix in the Yamaha. I check the Kaw oil pump and lines every year, and it sometimes worries me.

Good spark. Nice work. Henning called it?

Do whatever needs to be done to block off oil and run premix.

Heading to bed, dead to the world. Will type more tomorrow but real quick:

Doc: All wires hooked up in the ebox. Woohoo. I'll pickup the oil blockoff kit at lunch in the next couple days and install it, then take the next steps.

Ren: Henning guessed the failed part. From what I've read, the stator, CDI, and relay seem to be big failure modes on these. But I got exceedingly lucky with this $30 CDI. I haven't seen it anywhere else for less than $200 used. And considering the cost of the jet ski and trailer was only $500, testing the other things first I think was mandatory.

Be very careful about running the water. You absolutely do not want the water to ever be ON unless the engine is running. Since you can for a bit without the water (Kawi permits 30 seconds), I would suggest you do that and let it idle for a good 5 seconds before adding the water. If it's not running well enough to be stable at idle I wouldn't add water. If it quits you must turn the water off immediately.

If you run water with the engine not running the water will go up the exhaust system and into the engine.

Be very careful about running the water. You absolutely do not want the water to ever be ON unless the engine is running. Since you can for a bit without the water (Kawi permits 30 seconds), I would suggest you do that and let it idle for a good 5 seconds before adding the water. If it's not running well enough to be stable at idle I wouldn't add water. If it quits you must turn the water off immediately.

If you run water with the engine not running the water will go up the exhaust system and into the engine.

Understood, advice noted. I've read about that with the Kawasaki's. Seems a bunch of people have hydro-locked the engine that way.

Side note: the fuel pickup assembly has fine-mesh fuel filter screens at the bottom of the regular and reserve pickup lines. Mine are deteriorating and the plastic end-cap from one of them is sitting at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking to replace them. Turns out they're integral to the pickup assembly. Cost to replace the entire assembly: $77 plus shipping, plus the labor involved.

fuel screens.jpg

Combined with the fact that fuel tank removal in this model requires engine removal, that's sort of frustrating. I may just ignore it considering there's a fuel filter up-stream. But I used my phone to take some video of the bottom of the fuel tank and I do see a small amount of sand or granular debris (and that fuel screen end cap). Will continue engine tests without it, just thought I'd comment.

Understood, advice noted. I've read about that with the Kawasaki's. Seems a bunch of people have hydro-locked the engine that way.

Side note: the fuel pickup assembly has fine-mesh fuel filter screens at the bottom of the regular and reserve pickup lines. Mine are deteriorating and the plastic end-cap from one of them is sitting at the bottom of the tank. Was thinking to replace them. Turns out they're integral to the pickup assembly. Cost to replace the entire assembly: $77 plus shipping, plus the labor involved.

View attachment 35987

Combined with the fact that fuel tank removal in this model requires engine removal, that's sort of frustrating. I may just ignore it considering there's a fuel filter up-stream. But I used my phone to take some video of the bottom of the fuel tank and I do see a small amount of sand or granular debris (and that fuel screen end cap). Will continue engine tests without it, just thought I'd comment.
Upload a picture so I can look. I don't remember mine having screens on the pickup tubes but it's been a few months at this point. It's unlikely the screens would stop much of anything other than really large objects that shouldn't be there in the first place. Provided you have a good fuel filter I don't think I'd drop $70 on fixing that. You could probably add your own screens but I don't think it's worth the work.

As to how easy it is to get water in a two stroke when you dump water into the exhaust system this animation shows what happens quite well:

http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html

Notice how depending on the piston position there is a completely open path between the exhaust and the crankcase that water can just flow through the exhaust port, over the piston, and down into the crankcase.

Hydrolocking and prevention.

As designed, all modern jet skis will not hydrolock with water running and the engine off given that the system is operating nominally. That is, there is no exhaust restrictions, and the water system is intact.

What happens to people who get hydrolocked is they'll remove the trailer from the car, set the trailer tongue on the ground, which kicks the rear of the ski up in the air, then they hook up the water line, and let it run. Of course, combined with the flapper on the back, and the nose of ski pointing down, water then backfills into the exhaust, and the exhaust port, and into the crankcase or cylinder.

Since the exhaust has a water return preventer flap on the back of the hull, water won't back up into the exhaust and into the engine even when sitting in the water with the engine off. Even if that flap is missing, the lowest part of the exhaust expansion chamber to the left of the engine head is higher than the highest point of the water level even with two or three people on the ski.

So, while it can happen, it takes a lot of work to hydrolock these engine. But - it has been done before by people setting the trailer tongue on the ground, and running the water in the engine for a while before starting.

To avoid this, of course you can have the engine on first before the water. This is the safest. But, if you have the ski sitting basically horizontal, and the flapper on the rear hull held open with a bungee cord, you can run water all day and not hydrolock. For now, the safest is to run the engine and then the water, but don't get overly worried if the water runs without the engine when the ski is sitting normally.

As designed, all modern jet skis will not hydrolock with water running and the engine off given that the system is operating nominally. That is, there is no exhaust restrictions, and the water system is intact.

I'm not sure I would have faith in that. Neither do Kawasaki's engineers that state the following in the service manual:

Screenshot%202014-10-07%2014.19.23.png

Also looks like I was wrong about 30 seconds, I remembered incorrectly, it's 15.

I'm not sure I would have faith in that. Neither do Kawasaki's engineers that state the following in the service manual:

Also looks like I was wrong about 30 seconds, I remembered incorrectly, it's 15.

He's right, as long as the ski is level gravity wii do its thing. That's another one of those great warnings to prevent warranty claims.

As to priming it before starting, the service manual suggests the following, and it worked really well for me. I couldn't get mine to fire and idle until I did this:

Screenshot%202014-10-07%2014.25.02.png

He's right, as long as the ski is level gravity wii do its thing. That's another one of those great warnings to prevent warranty claims.

Well, the water is dumped directly into the exhaust pipe which bolts onto the exhaust manifold and is above the exhaust manifold and exhaust ports. Depending on how much water pressure you were forcing in there I think things could get ugly. I'd have to rip mine apart again and take a really good look at that exhaust pipe and how it's plumbed before I would gamble running the water without the engine on against Kawasaki's recommendations.

Based on what I can see with how it's rigged up, and what the manual says, I've always came to the assumption that when you're forcing water in with the hose, the only thing that keeps that water from flowing into the engine is the pressure of the exhaust when it's running.

Seems easier to stay on the safe side and follow the manual.

I fully understand why water doesn't go into the engine when it's sitting in the water and not running. Doc, care to describe why water wouldn't flow into the engine when forcing water into the exhaust pipe with a hose? Not saying you're wrong, just looking to better understand it.

Perhaps that "exhaust pipe" is jacketed and the water that flows through there doesn't come in contact with the actual exhaust? If that is true then it still mixes with the exhaust somewhere as water does come out the exhaust when running it on the hose. Where would it mix then?

I also was assuming this entire time that the OP's ski was basically the same as mine. Looking at his pictures things are definitely setup differently in the hull than mine is. Mostly all the same parts, just in different spots.

Last edited:
Another thought, while you're in there, you really should inspect the bilge pump system and make sure it's working right. Assuming yours is like mine there is a small plastic rectangle shaped tank below the drive coupler. A hose runs up the right side of hte jetski and it sucks water with the suction from the jetpump (you must be running and the faster you go the better it pumps water out). There are a few tiny holes that must be clear for it to work and could easily be clogged. Took maybe 10 minutes to go through mine and it was damn comforting knowing it wasn't plugged up the first time I took water in the hull.

Last edited:
Tonight's update:

Went to the SBT showroom after work to purchase the oil block off kit. Closed at 5. I'll go tomorrow @ lunch.

#2 spark plug didn't appear to be firing. Cleaned the connector in the e-box, swapped the #2 and #3 plugs, all three now appear to fire. Not sure which of those changes "fixed" it but I need to remember to do one thing at a time so I can isolate the problems. I'll keep an eye on this as a potential problem to reappear.

Got the start/stop switch put back together. I had it apart and had been testing the ski by jumping the two appropriate terminals with a screwdriver. Re-tested and confirmed it's working.

Re-bolted the in-line water temp sensor to the hull. Also re-bolted some of the plastic covering over the steering and gauge column that I had unbolted when I thought I needed to take it all off.

Took another look at the fuel pickup filter screens. Here's a pic:

fuel pickup 2.jpg

You can see they're sort of deteriorating and the left pickup, which is the primary pickup, is missing that bottom end-cap, which makes the filter worthless. Still, I think I'm going to forego replacing this piece unless you guys think pieces of that deteriorating screen will get sucked into the fuel system, in which case I may tear off the screening to prevent that and then consider replacing the whole fuel pickup in the future.

My ski appears to have a quick-release hose connection installed. Nice!

quick_release_hose.jpg

Also, I'm ordering all new grommets, spacers, nuts, etc. for the relay terminals that stick out of the e-box. Those items appear to be deteriorating or completely missing. $26 including shipping, new OEM from partsfish.com.

--

Random question: I have foam fuel line holders that have come unglued from the hull. Example:

line-Holder.jpeg

What can I reattach with? I have some random tubes of waterproof silicone laying around from some bathroom work. Will that work like an adhesive?

Thanks as always, and more to come.

Well, I've been doing it for about 8 years so far no problems. The key is to not have the nose tipped down so the expansion chamber is lower than the water discharge. I mean, it could happen but when it's level there's no prob.

Tonight's update:

You can see they're sort of deteriorating and the left pickup, which is the primary pickup, is missing that bottom end-cap, which makes the filter worthless. Still, I think I'm going to forego replacing this piece unless you guys think pieces of that deteriorating screen will get sucked into the fuel system, in which case I may tear off the screening to prevent that and then consider replacing the whole fuel pickup in the future.

My ski appears to have a quick-release hose connection installed. Nice!

Random question: I have foam fuel line holders that have come unglued from the hull. Example:

View attachment 35998

What can I reattach with? I have some random tubes of waterproof silicone laying around from some bathroom work. Will that work like an adhesive?

Thanks as always, and more to come.

The fuel thing is typical of what I see on the reserve pipe. you gotta clean that pickup really well to get the gunk off. The main pick up is ok, but it would be better if the bottom cap was on so the filter was working. I think I would just take that screen off the reserve and go with an aftermarket. It has to be fuel suitable of course.

The hull fittings can be re-attached with thermoset epoxy. It usually comes in a dual syringe deal where it's a two part mix. Make sure the pieces are clean, and when you put them together, keep pressure on the fitting to the hull with some kind of stick or other means of force.

Alright, thanks. I'll have to look for some after-market screen thing. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they made those to be replaceable. They don't appear to come off. So I'd either be replacing the whole fuel pickup assembly with OEM new ($77+shipping) or cutting those screens off and replacing with something else. I am not inclined to mess with the latter, though may consider the former as a medium-term project. For now I'll go with what I have for the remainder of my testing.

I plan to at least install the block off kit tomorrow evening. Have a good night.

Back