Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
who started out with a David Clark non-ANR headset, then bought a Faro ANR, then bought a Bose A20 and then a Clarity Aloft. (I love the Bose but in the summer its pretty hot)

At least now I've got enough headsets for the seats in my airplane.

Been wearing Dave Clarks since they came on the market. Before that the government provided me with headsets. :)

Yeh, DCs work well enough for me too. Nothing fancy either.

I started out with a fairly inexpensive headset and got a DC ANR. That was my headset of choice, even over Bose until I got a Clarity Aloft for the biplane. Now I find myself using the CA most of the time, although I still use the DC occasionally. Right now it's stays plugged in the 170.

Which ear buds do you use, the squeeze and insert that came with it or the Christmas trees?

Which ear buds do you use, the squeeze and insert that came with it or the Christmas trees?
I use the squeeze and insert ones. Basically like the foamy earplugs I use in the Navy, but with a speaker inside.

I didn't know you could get the Christmas tree kind for CA

On my discovery flight I used a clapped out headset borrowed from the FBO. I don't remember the brand but I do remember the dried-out, uncomfortable ears. I couldn't here or understand the tower.

I realized I needed something better if I intended to pursue the flying game, so that afternoon I ordered a set of David Clark ANRs.

Still have them. Still use them.

-Skip

I love DC's but I've never been overly impressed with the on ear Pro-X's. The ANR is subpar IMO.

I've been flying with DC's for about four years now, and I'm really happy with them. Would like to upgrade to a nice ANR set soon though, the DC's can get heavy, and clamp down on longer flights!

I used my dad's old DC headset that he used in the 80s for all my flight training. Sturdy and built like a rock.

I had cheap Flight Comms, but bought DCs fir my wife. Then I skipped straight to Halos, and there's no going back! Don't like foamies, i use the silicone tips, like a smooshed Christmas tree.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DC's I have but when I went with ANR it was a whole new ballgame. The Faro was a bit of a disappointment as you have to have the mic practically IN your mouth for it to pick up but the ANR on them is almost as good as the Bose.

David Clark headsets are great. I've heard that the more money you spend on a headset the cooler you look, your airplane flies faster on less gas, and your piloting skills are second to none. True story.

I bought a pair of old DCs and a pair of soft comms together as a package. I like the soft comms better but I still plan on getting a pair of halos as a gift to myself for passing my check ride, whenever that happens.

I used an $80, unbranded set from ebay for 5 years. They were very light, comfy, and I liked 'em okay until one of the speakers quit working. Bought a set of QT Halo just before Oshkosh this year, and good heavens, they sho is nice.

I have David Clarks and Lightspeeds in the plane...I wear the X11 replacement..whatever that is...ProX maybe. I liked the X-11s better.

The thing is that DC replaced the X11 with this set because of a failure that they couldn't get repaired.

First class customer service and above and beyond warranty (or in my case out of warranty) service.

I have wanted to try the Clarity Aloft as the poster above points out...the more you spend on a headset the better your plane flies...

I started with sigtronics, non ANR. The shop I bought them from gave me a lifetime warranty ; I just didn't realize it was their lifetime. I got my DC ANRS when I got my Pilot certificate. The Bose and Lightspeed came second hand. It was a few years ago when I won a cheap generic non ANR. Then I bought a plane that had a bag full of mismatched sets. I deliberately left these behind. None were really worth a thing.
So yeah, I now have enough to match every position. Pilot gets Lightspeed.

who started out with a David Clark non-ANR headset, then bought a Faro ANR, then bought a Bose A20 and then a Clarity Aloft. (I love the Bose but in the summer its pretty hot)

At least now I've got enough headsets for the seats in my airplane.

When you worked ATC in the USAF did y'all use those STAR headsets? Somehow I wound up with one and always wondered about having it converted for the plane. I may still have it, somewhere....in garage land. :)

I bought a pair of Gulf Coast Avionics ANR. They were cheap the ANR is reasonably effective. I can still hear the plane (this is good). I have used the Bose on several occassions. No doubt they are more comfortable and the ANR is better. I don't think they justify the cost for a weekend warrior like me.

I'm not saying DCs don't work for a lot people, but try a set of Bose and see what the hype is about. It's amazing how much quieter they are and that reduces fatigue on long flights. I grew up flying when we thought headsets were for airline pilots and nobody in GA had them. Now I'm one of the few I know that can still hear. I like to protect my hearing as much as possible. Not to mention, music on a set of Bose, well, that's a nice touch!

I'm also amazed at what I do hear when wearing Bose. When you first get them, you'll think your plane if falling apart. You won't hear engine and wind noise as much, but you'll hear creaks and pings from the plane you didn't know were there! A little concerning at first.

I'm the first to admit there are exceptions though. IMHO don't use them in an open cockpit airplane. For some reason standard old-fashioned DCs seem to excel in this environment.

I do have a pair of David Clark Pro-X ANR that I bought because I really wanted to like them... I love the size and weight and the sit on top of the ear style is something that appealed to me. My passengers like them and I admit they're probably the second-best headsets I've ever used, but not my favorite.

Started with A20s. I really want to try a tubephone style headset, though.

When you worked ATC in the USAF did y'all use those STAR headsets? Somehow I wound up with one and always wondered about having it converted for the plane. I may still have it, somewhere....in garage land. :)

I still work in ATC and we have Plantronics headsets with the pink bulb aka buttplug, you fit in your ear. I had a custom earpiece made to fit my "radio" ear which is the right one. It's nice but all the new controllers come up to my right ear and start talking. I just ignore them until someone else tells them with that earpiece I can't hear them.

I've always found Bose's to be one of the more uncomfortable headsets and I don't find lightspeeds to be anything special. I REALLY like the David Clark ONE-X (Over the ear ANR). I find it to be quiet, light, durable and has DC's super customer service to boot.

I started out with DC 10-13S that I bought off EBAY. Last year for my birthday my family bought me Halo's. I use them almost exclusively, with the foam tips.

Tried the DCs in the plane I rent. Tried a couple on ANR and non-ANR sets from my CFI. Looked very closely at the Clarity Aloft, but I have experience with in ear speakers from hearing aids. Ended up with the Halos.

I am low time, but I would not consider anything else. If you can stand to have something in your ear, my wife can not, then the Halo's are comfortable, inexpensive, and work great.

Just got the Clarity Aloft yesterday from the mail. Haven't tried them in the plane yet but with my IPod, the sound quality is great and the noise reduction seems to be really good. (because they're basically foam earplugs) However, I need to adjust the tension on the wire as it digs into my right cheek.

The first head sets I bought were 6 RST kits, still have 4,went to Bose stage 1s still have and use them.

Went from the free but horrible flight school loaners to Zulu 1s, had those for thousands of flight hours until they met a very violent end, LS was nice enough to still give me trade in credit, even though the headset was in pieces, got my Zulu 2s now, seem more or less the same as the 1s.

A few years ago I got a older passive DC, put the comfort kit on it, it's my pax/backup set.

I've had Bose A20's from day one and love them. I'd really like to try some CA's, but I wear in-the-ear hearing aids, so CA's aren't an option for me.

My first headset purchase was a DC H10-30 in 1986. They cost $260. Before that, we never used headsets. I've since had a SoftCom C-200 ANR and now a Zulu 2. The C-200 has good passive but the active left much to be desired. It also ate 9VDC batteries quickly. They are now spare set for back seat of the RV-4. I love my Zulu 2s. The ANR is excellent, but passive only, they aren't nearly as good as my old DCs.

I'm going to buy a QT Halo if they ever get caught up on making them...or someone decides they want to sell me a set.

My first headset purchase was a DC H10-30 in 1986. They cost $260. Before that, we never used headsets. I've since had a SoftCom C-200 ANR and now a Zulu 2. The C-200 has good passive but the active left much to be desired. It also ate 9VDC batteries quickly. They are now spare set for back seat of the RV-4. I love my Zulu 2s. The ANR is excellent, but passive only, they aren't nearly as good as my old DCs.

I'm going to buy a QT Halo if they ever get caught up on making them...or someone decides they want to sell me a set.
Jim, just send him an email that you want them. He never gets "caught up". My wife got mine for my birthday, she sent the email and got them about 3 weeks later.

Jim, just send him an email that you want them. He never gets "caught up". My wife got mine for my birthday, she sent the email and got them about 3 weeks later.

Mike, I did just that and I received my new Halos on Friday. Flew with them Sunday. Still tinkering with them, but so far, they are great! They will definitely be the warm weather headset...now I just have to find my Blu-Link so I can get my music back. :D

Mike, I did just that and I received my new Halos on Friday. Flew with them Sunday. Still tinkering with them, but so far, they are great! They will definitely be the warm weather headset...now I just have to find my Blu-Link so I can get my music back. :D
It took me several flights to really get comfortable with how to wear them, place the mic etc. But I love them.

You can get cloth ear muff covers if the classic style is too hot, and they save wear and tear on the leather muffs.

Back