"Please don't group numbers, we can't do that" - heard from the tower

I only group barometric pressure numbers, when I use excess verbiage on the radio that was drilled into me long ago by an oppressive military regime.

. . . altimeter two nine nine nine.

"Two triple niner, eight mike charlie"

Every so often I get to one-up number grouping.

. . .altimeter three zero three zero

"Copy Winchester, eight mike charlie"

I also wear Ray-Bans. Sometimes a scarf. I am SO cool.

I have not gotten any grief on saying “Compassion Flight eleven sixty nine” instead of “Compassion Flight one one six niner”. I’ve only had one controller say it the full/proper way, and then only once.

I have not gotten any grief on saying “Compassion Flight eleven sixty nine” instead of “Compassion Flight one one six niner”. I’ve only had one controller say it the full/proper way, and then only once.
Though you are not be an air carrier, or commuter air carrier, your use of a call-sign, instead of a registration number, likely triggers this provision of AIM 4-2-4.a. in the mind of the controllers. I think it unlikely that they would think 'he's not an air carrier' and refuse to use grouping.

5. Air carriers and commuter air carriers having FAA authorized call signs should identify themselves by stating the complete call sign (using group form for the numbers) and the word “super” or “heavy” if appropriate.

EXAMPLE-

1. United Twenty-Five Heavy.
  2. Midwest Commuter Seven Eleven.

For what it’s worth, I would reference some AIM and ICAO procedures. But essentially they say using full call sign on initial call and there is no reference in contracting call signs. If ATC shortens your call sign in their response, than it’s acceptable to shorten it. ATC will normally shorten it at GA airports if no like-sounding call signs also on the frequency. I fly wide bodies internationally and it’s not uncommon to “group” numbers after initial call unless in international environment where a foreign language is often difficult to understand. Also, using full call sign is used over HF radio for all transmissions just because of the poor signal and static.

I got some good advice early on in my career from a seasoned pilot that flew everything from DC3’s to MD-11s.....”work from the hearing backwards”. Meaning, if something goes awry on your flight and you find yourself in a trial/hearing listening to your ATC tape, regardless of reason for trial, you would look less professional using cool sounding call signs. And if your use of non-standard phraseology arguably may have contributed to an incident, you would be in a bad place.

Back