Please Assist.

I interpret "dumb" questions as someone trying make a connection with other real human beings.

OK, so why not just state that. “Hey, haven’t flown in years, looking to get back in the air and talk with other pilots.” Badabing!

Always good for a laugh. Between google and just going to faa.gov, I'm blown away by some of the questions asked here.

There's a fair bit of 'lazyweb' going on, sure. But sometimes you can know the answer but not understand the answer. I think that's what some of this is... sure, you can google it. But if you don't understand the answer you find, it's tough. I try to interpret "dumb" questions as "Hey, I don't understand the answer for this".

I interpret "dumb" questions as someone trying make a connection with other real human beings.

Some of youse guys are real nice now. Me? I just mutter "moron" under my breath and move on...unless I can have some fun with it...

Found this. So your certificate number is still your SSN, as it sounds like you never completed the form to request a change.

FAA To Stop Using SSNs as Pilot Certificate Numbers on June 1
May 8, 2002 - Recent security and identity theft concerns have led the FAA to cease its policy of using Social Security Numbers (SSN) as airmen certificate numbers. Effective June 1, 2002, all original airman certificates will be issued by the Airman Certification Branch (AFS-760) with unique certificate numbers. Pilots with existing SSN certificate numbers can complete a form and have the FAA assign them a unique certificate number. Through June 1, new Airman Certificates will continue to be issued using the SSN unless the airman requests a unique number. FAA’s Request For Change of Certificate Number form is available for download at http://registry.faa.gov/docs/SSN_Change.pdf.

They started doing that a little bit before June 1, 2002. I got my ticket in March, and they did not use my SSN, nor did I request it not to be used.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where she wanted to fly for a living, or even get current for that matter.

United is hiring...and looking for people like you...my wife who wanted to work after a high stress job for a while was hired on the first interview...good luck...EWR is a base that’s always open..

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where she wanted to fly for a living, or even get current for that matter.

Correct. She's applying for a FA job. She needed information about her pilot certificate/ratings for the application.

OK, so why not just state that. “Hey, haven’t flown in years, looking to get back in the air and talk with other pilots.” Badabing!
Better yet:

1. Let people write posts however they want.

2. Avoid mocking newcomers for asking questions that someone thinks they should have Googled.

Correct. She's applying for a FA job. She needed information about her pilot certificate/ratings for the application.

I thought she wanted it for an application to live in Canada. Not sure why they need it though unless she was planning on using her certificate up there.

I thought she wanted it for an application to live in Canada. Not sure why they need it though unless she was planning on using her certificate up there.

Yeah, guess it was a later post she brought up the FA gig. Something about she needed it for a TRP (?) for Canada was the original post.

Yeah, guess it was a later post she brought up the FA gig. Something about she needed it for a TRP (?) for Canada was the original post.
Google says "temporary resident permit."

The TRP is just a way to enter Canada one time when otherwise you might be administratively prohibited entry. It's not a residence thing.

Translated from the Canadian: So sorry but we cannot allow you to enter under any circumstances. However just fill out this form and you can enter. Terribly sorry about all this.

While the OP's question is something that might seem simple and obvious to those of us who are active pilots, it's a legitimate question that's going to be less obvious to someone who's been out of it for 15 years.

Let's try to be welcoming and friendly.

Back