Please Assist.

RachelCohen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rachel Cohen
Hi Everyone-I went to Embry Riddle Aero. Univ. and I need to request copies of my Private, Instrument, and Commercial licenses that I obtained around 1998-2001.

I understand that they are expired, but I need this info. to get a TRP into Canada. The form asks for the cert. number and date of issue. I lost my flight bag in 2006, when my mother passed. Can anyone please help!!

Last edited:
I don't have the numbers or years, however the other thread worked and I called Riddle and left a message. Thank you so much

Question for Rachel, did you not fly in those years between school and now?

No. I showed up to pre-flight on 9/11 for my multi training. I didn't hear the news. Got home to see the second tower fall. After being grounded for so long after that, I completed my MBAA instead.

I'm currently looking into being a flight attendant. It will be 1/3 of my salary, but i'll be happy!

For a long time your certificate number was your SSN. Don't know when that changed.

I'm currently looking into being a flight attendant. It will be 1/3 of my salary, but i'll be happy!

That's huge, and something a few others on here have done (well, not flight attendent necessarily). Good luck.

No. I showed up to pre-flight on 9/11 for my multi training. I didn't hear the news. Got home to see the second tower fall. After being grounded for so long after that, I completed my MBAA instead.

Ok, makes sense. Good luck on your new endeavor, business can be stressful. I know a few MBA guys who are now exec VPs and such, lots of money, but lots of stress as well.

For the last 10 years I have been a Senior IT Recruiter primarily for NYC and NY State government agencies. I thought I would be helping people, making a difference. My stress level was a 10 and although I am great at this, there is no job satisfaction. It's not about the money anymore. All I have ever wanted to do is fly. Nothing else will make me happy! I'm in the process of re-writing my resume to demonstrate relevant skills and experience. I also want to start a 501 3C foundation to save stray/sheltered pets.

For the last 10 years I have been a Senior IT Recruiter primarily for NYC and NY State government agencies. I thought I would be helping people, making a difference. My stress level was a 10 and although I am great at this, there is no job satisfaction. It's not about the money anymore. All I have ever wanted to do is fly. Nothing else will make me happy! I'm in the process of re-writing my resume to demonstrate relevant skills and experience. I also want to start a 501 3C foundation to save stray/sheltered pets.
stck around here then!

Paging @Ted DuPuis ! Ted, pick up the nearest white paging telephone for a pups conversation!

Look into Pilots N Paws... a few of on here volunteer regularly... they are always looking for fosters and help getting animals to the airports...

http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/index.php?sid=76b4c3ceacaaa4950a4aff0851ab8ccd

I don't have a specific airline in mind. I would be happy to fly for any of them. I'm in ATL now, but I love snow. Moved here from NYC about 2 years ago. Hate it! My family is here.

I don't have a specific airline in mind. I would be happy to fly for any of them. I'm
in ATL now, but I love snow. Moved here from NYC about 2 years ago. Hate it! My family is here.

I flew for ASA (now ExpressJet) for 24 years based in ATL. My only advice would be to get on with a major airline as a FA. Delta is pretty good, Southwest good and pay is real good. Just watch out for those pilots on layovers. :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
but you can do some fostering and land transport stuff, right?
I have an out of control deaf rescued cat who is a bully and both the Pit and Rot are scared of him. Not a good idea to foster. Maynard-the cat is a terror. I am also a horrible driver. I miss mass transit.

I thought you could get a certificate number out of that but it sure doesn't

No cert. number but at least It verifies my Commercial. Thanks!

Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it and i'll be back online soon. :)

Eh, You can get a copy of your LAST certificate from the FAA for $2. I'm not sure why you think you need anything else. The prior ones (Private and which ever one you added your instrument RATING) were INVALIDATED when you passed the checkride for the commerical/instrument even if you managed to maintain a copy of it. Used to be they took the old ones. Now they just punch a hole in it. It was possible if you got prior duplicates that you kept an older one that "appeared" valid. However, a new pilot certificate supercedes the existing ones. INSTRUMENT isn't a certificate anyhow, it's a rating on your pilot certificate (Private or Commercial, ATP implies instrument).

Pilot certificates do NOT expire.

Found this. So your certificate number is still your SSN, as it sounds like you never completed the form to request a change.

FAA To Stop Using SSNs as Pilot Certificate Numbers on June 1
May 8, 2002 - Recent security and identity theft concerns have led the FAA to cease its policy of using Social Security Numbers (SSN) as airmen certificate numbers. Effective June 1, 2002, all original airman certificates will be issued by the Airman Certification Branch (AFS-760) with unique certificate numbers. Pilots with existing SSN certificate numbers can complete a form and have the FAA assign them a unique certificate number. Through June 1, new Airman Certificates will continue to be issued using the SSN unless the airman requests a unique number. FAA’s Request For Change of Certificate Number form is available for download at http://registry.faa.gov/docs/SSN_Change.pdf.

I have an out of control deaf rescued cat who is a bully and both the Pit and Rot are scared of him. Not a good idea to foster. Maynard-the cat is a terror. I am also a horrible driver. I miss mass transit.
:eek: Good luck with whatever you decided to do...

I would love that. I don't have the money to finish training, let alone get current. Thanks though!

If you have a commercial rating you're more than qualified to run a P&P mission. You just need a medical and a flight review.

If your goal is to be an ATP (which looks like it is), be careful going down the FA route first. You will have more opportunity now than you'll have 10 years from now. Now is the time to get back into the pilot seat, if that's your final goal.

Last edited:
Go get your medical and find a way to get current. Start flying again. Don’t let that commercial rating blow away in the wind...

With her background, she may not be a FA for long. I don't know, but I'd imagine she could move up quick if she wanted to. What's a non-flying career path look like at an airline with her qualifications?

With her background, she may not be a FA for long. I don't know, but I'd imagine she could move up quick if she wanted to. What's a non-flying career path look like at an airline with her qualifications?
Crew training once she gets the ATP, scheduling, ops, pretty much anything in operations that isn't in the air.

I'm not sure of what you mean by this. GA flight training was only grounded for about 10 days or so if I recall correctly. Am I missing something? Were you somehow grounded longer?

There's a fair bit of 'lazyweb' going on, sure. But sometimes you can know the answer but not understand the answer. I think that's what some of this is... sure, you can google it. But if you don't understand the answer you find, it's tough. I try to interpret "dumb" questions as "Hey, I don't understand the answer for this".

Back