Planes that sit

garyb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
garyb
I know of two aircraft, both C-210's, actively flown until their owners had medical problems that forced them to put flying on hold. Perhaps believing that they would eventually return to flying, the aircraft sat, and have been sitting for at least 7 years. Literally have not moved, probably coated with dust (although both are hangered), unused, and untouched. I don't think the engines have ever been turned over. The owners are starting to come to grips with the idea that their flying days may be over and family members are exploring the possibility of selling.
If one were to take on that project, what could one expect in getting the aircraft airworthy?

I know of two aircraft, both C-210's, actively flown until their owners had medical problems that forced them to put flying on hold. Perhaps believing that they would eventually return to flying, the aircraft sat, and have been sitting for at least 7 years. Literally have not moved, probably coated with dust (although both are hangered), unused, and untouched. I don't think the engines have ever been turned over. The owners are starting to come to grips with the idea that their flying days may be over and family members are exploring the possibility of selling.
If one were to take on that project, what could one expect in getting the aircraft airworthy?
A big part of it depends on where the planes are. If we're talking Florida, there's a good chance the planes are trash, however Arizona or Colorado? They could be completely fine. Just get a thorough prebuy inspection done and it could very well be worth taking on at the right price. I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

My plane had sat for a couple years and on the flight home avionics were coming back to life left and right, they just needed a bit of use.

First off good luck getting one for a decent price. Because the family generally thinks they are about three times what they should go for even though they're outdated on the inside with everything.

Too many variables to even guess. One option to start with, is have the mechanic(s) who previously worked the aircraft to look them over. Maybe comply with an informal pre-buy check and then once you have his list(s) decide the course of action.

The engine is what I would be the most worried about. I'm assuming they weren't pickled...

They weren't intending on letting the planes sit, it's more of a case of weeks turning into months turning into years, so your assumption is correct.
Both are in the intermountain west, so a dry climate.

I've known a few people that bought aircraft that had sat for 5+ years, every single one of them told me that pretty much every hose required replacement to make them airworthy.

My Dad's Cherokee had sat for a couple of years up in Maine before he bought it, we ended up replacing some things but what she needed the most was just to fly. After putting some hours on her stuff started working better.

Change the oil,jump start it,give it a comression test and see.

Bringing the AD list up to date on many old A/C would exceed the cost of a good flying aircraft.

Bringing the AD list up to date on many old A/C would exceed the cost of a good flying aircraft.
Yup. The 210 now has an AD on its wing spars. There are ADs on a couple of makes of engine cylinders on those engines. Some turbos now have ADs. Then there are those expensive main gear pivots and actuators. The trim tabs on some were foam-filled aluminum and they corrode from the inside out. A good prebuy will take lots of time on one of them. One missed defect....$$$

New battery and fluids, and a normal annual inspection, or maybe more?

HANGARED and unflown, mostly old wives tails.

Take a look, might be a sweet buy, might not be, just like a plane that flys all the time.

Judging off hours a year or location is about as accurate as reading tea leaves.

Last edited:
Can't say is probaby the best answer. The Cessna 150 club did a survey of its members that bought plans that had been sitting before being taken over by a new owner. Some had been sitting for four years or more and proved to need minimum work. I looked at one that had not flown in four years. The mechanic said the engine was fine, but all the hoses needed replaced. (I didn't buy it for the reason cited above -- the owner thought it was worth far more than pristine, well mantained and flown aircraft were selling for.)

I'd look first, my own eyes-on; cowl off, inspection covers off. Not that I'm an A&P or particularly knowledgeable, but if you've been around airplanes a long time, you might see a show stopper, and can walk away with no $$$ invested. Get an idea of price, and if they're wildly off base, walk away, or just go silent - they might get a reality check after a few months, so don't burn the bridge.

If the price and a cursory look doesn't put you off, then invest in a pre-buy - maybe cut a deal on paying a fixed fraction of an annual, NTE whatever feels right to you? Seven years, even in a dry hangar, is a looong time for critters, corrosion, sediments from fluids, chemistry, bearings, etc., etc., to work, without an A&P getting a look during an annual. Not sure an oil analysis sample is even valid from oil sitting that long - smarter heads here may know - but I'd want to hear and see it run, get an oil change, see it fly, and get a sample. . .

If the engines(s) are near TBO, assume they're boat anchors already, and build that into your offer? If mid-time, geez, how far are you willing to go ($$$$) for an A&P to get real good look at the innards?

What’s it worth to you,how long are you thinking of keeping it,do you have the money for an intensive annual?

Take a serious look.
It's like chicken soup. It can't hurt.
It may cost you a little money, a little time, and it may fly or it may be a bust.
But it will be an adventure you will remember.

For what it’s worth, I purchased a C150 that sat for 8+ yrs because of owner hanging on just in case he was able to get his medical renewed. (South Carolina) Older gentleman still came to tears as he signed the papers. Different animal from the 210 but same in looking for major corrosion and engine issues. Just make sure it’s priced accordingly to the gamble. Anyhow, My daughter and I flew the snot out of the C150 for the past 3yrs with no major issues. I did replace one cylinder due to leaky exhaust valve but that’s basically it other than replacing hoses and such. Have a good prebuy done looking for the big gotcha items. If nothing jumps out at you then it’s just the typical gamble as with any aircraft. I sold the 150 a few months ago (with a small tear in my eye) to purchase an older Cessna 182H. Similar situation with only 347 hours flown since 1987! Throughly check everything out from spinner to rudder with no majors found. Now with my fingers crossed, I expect many solid years of flying from it. Truly wish I could have afford both but needed something that could haul family since certifications were achieved.

Don’t be scared but be smart! Good luck!!

Last edited:

Cessna 210 were built from early 1960s to late 1980s, their model specific maintenance issues, values, costs are widely variable, your guess is as good as anyone's with the information presented.

I flew a 206 in Alaska that had previously sat out in the tundra on its back for 2 years. That plane is still flying.

Depending on a good inspection, it might not be too bad. For me, I'd plan on replacing all hoses, filters and fluids, borescoping the cylinders and case and going thru the prop as a minimum. I would also be prepared to pull and overhaul or replace the fuel bladders.

what could one expect in getting the aircraft airworthy?
Engine over haul.
Hydraulic pack overhaul
Landing gear AD list complied with and parts upgraded, (saddles)
All hoses replaced
Avionics 2020 compliance
A 5k (at least) annual

Just kinda sucks as they were probably decent planes that just needed some tlc along the way. Instead they get neglected.

Back