Planes that should NOT have been built

I've heard that from others, and am puzzled. The C172 RG can carry more, flies faster than the standard Skyhawk. People don't hate the Skyhawk, why the hate for the RG version?
The issue with the 172RG probably has to do with pilot expectations. I enjoy flying 172s. Nice pleasant airplanes. You'd think that a 172RG would handle similar to a Skyhawk but be faster with the RG. But (and in fairness, almost all 172RGs have been trashed by now as trainers) the Gutless handles like crap compared to a Skyhawk and it isn't all that fast. It is the kind of airplane that makes you WANT to beat the crap out of it.

Part of why I hated the 172RG is I had a bunch of time in 177RGs and 210s before I ever flew a 172RG. I loved flying the Cardinal RG. It was such a sweet handling airplane. Hated the 172RG.

The issue with the 172RG probably has to do with pilot expectations. I enjoy flying 172s. Nice pleasant airplanes. You'd think that a 172RG would handle similar to a Skyhawk but be faster with the RG. But (and in fairness, almost all 172RGs have been trashed by now as trainers) the Gutless handles like crap compared to a Skyhawk and it isn't all that fast. It is the kind of airplane that makes you WANT to beat the crap out of it.

Part of why I hated the 172RG is I had a bunch of time in 177RGs and 210s before I ever flew a 172RG. I loved flying the Cardinal RG. It was such a sweet handling airplane. Hated the 172RG.

ROFL. I only had time in 172R models from the late-90's which were only 12-yrs old when I did my Private training. I then got the complex endorsement in the 172RG shortly after, and it was pretty sad-looking. I believe that dated-appearance and less-than-stellar handling compared to the R-model 172 I did my training in soured me on it. The cruise speed increase and slight payload improvement didn't justify the extra hourly wet-rate to me when I had to deal with an ancient panel and crazed plexiglass.

C172 isn't awful
It really is though. Despite our disagreements on certain planes named after high altitude clouds N1120A and I are in strong agreement here. Just because Cessna stamped out thousands of these things doesn't make them "good" - had they not been produced we likely wouldn't have such a steep learning curve from a 172 into a real plane, which results in lots of banged up metal. Sure, good instruction can teach discipline, but at the end of the day if you learn to drive manual on a Jeep you're in no position to hop into a Celica/any BMW/really anything else that has any modicum of performance. At some point Cessna built good piston planes, and their twins are solid. But that whole high wing line post 180/185/190/195 is a throw away. They gave up and said "let's make cheap trash to train people on and build slightly less cheap trash to upsell them into after. Hopefully they never fly in any low wing or have a need to fly somewhere that isn't a dirt strip"

But here are some reasons why it's awful. I genuinely abhor the 172 in every possible way, but the more "objective" reasons are here
(1) ridiculous fuel sump options.. some have up to 13 drain points, others you can't actually adequately drain the gascolator without having ridiculous arm length, or just assuming there's no sediment/water and letting the plane pee all over the ground, which in most places is frowned on, and in some actually illegal and will get you yelled at

(2) driving it on the ground is a combination of brakes and bungee steering, it's very annoying to steer. The PA28 goes where your feet point it, and pure differential brake planes ultimately teach good engine power and foot discipline

(3) the trim wheel is in a remarkably stupid and uncomfortable spot, you have to lean forward to roll the wheel, this is (a) uncomfortable and (b) causes a momentary change in CG.. this means you can't ever really get the plane trimmed well. I can fly a PA28 for hours without touching the yoke, just gently adjusting the wheel or using my feet.. same is true in really any other aircraft

(4) no good rudder trim. Some have some knob you have move in detents left and right, but the folks at Cessna actually expect you to bend a piece of aluminum to set the trim.. I'm sorry, what?! The PA28 gives you a great rudder trim, even if it's not aerodynamic it lets you gently "trim away" and consistent foot pressure

(5) the visibility sucks. People always talk about "great visibility!" .. yeah, you can see straight down out the windows to the left and right and that's about it. The view over the nose is awful and you can't actually see straight left, or anywhere more than -15* up to the left or right

(6) it just doesn't feel "happy" in the air, always feels like you're asking it to do something it doesn't really want to

(7) it feels loose when you fly it. Some will call this "forgiving, and a great trainer!" - I call it reclassifying a bug as a "feature" .. it's like giving people a PADI cert without ever putting them in the ocean

(8) no slips with flaps.. really?! This is like when you need to have the ability to slip the most!

(9) the biggest problem.. IT IS JUST TOO DAMN EASY TO FLY.. requiring extensive transition training in really anything else one would transition to.. even a 182 people have trouble with "gee Billy, the nose is much heavier.. be careful!" <- seriously?! Just trim the thing and actually fly it. No wonder people who transition to something else without training end up porpoising and bending metal. In my opinion, the Tiger is the best trainer and should be used for primary.. but people say "it's too squirrely" or "I wouldn't do my instrument on one" <- holy hell

(10) air vents.. this has to be the laziest design.. hard to actually point them where you want, and they fall out

(11) scream the "look at me, I'm a trainer" look

(12) if it snows they sit on their tail

(13) BOTH fuel..
(a) this teaches very poor fuel management and discipline, resulting in threads where people ask "why it is so hard to manage fuel?" - it's not, set up a timer and move a knob from one position to the other..
(b) the tanks never actually drain evenly because of a moronic vent design
(c) if you have an engine failure due to contaminated fuel good luck figuring out which tank has the issue
(d) because that switch never gets used it makes me question the actual mechanical integrity of it
(e) fueling the plane means you never really get a top off, by the time you walk to the other wing some of the fuel has already cross bled. I've never actually seen a Cessna with "full" tanks.. there's always about an inch missing.. UNLESS, you remember to switch the tanks to L or R (f)
(f) you have to fly around with a ladder or do "mount the plane" gymnastics and perform a lascivious show for anyone already inside the aircraft in order to check the fuel tanks, in the meantime you are getting wing grime all over your clothes
(g) if you do manage to run the plane dry and have an engine failure you are screwed. At least with a plane where you switch tanks you (hopefully) have 15-30 minutes of fuel left by switching to another tank.. might give you just enough time to land at the closest airport

--and I have at least two dozen different 172 in my logbook and a few hundred hours in them, it wasn't just one or two "out of rig clapped out trainers" - they are massive piles of steaming hot poo. But, it flies.. so I if there's nothing else available I'll take one up. And, until I was flying the Cirrus, lady friends always preferred them because of the two door thing (which doesn't make sense because the pax has their own door anyway)

Every 172 needs to go the way of a Skycatcher, crushed up and thrown unceremoniously in a dumpster

..sorry, my rant was not directed at you, it's aimed at the awful 172

#triggered

It really is though. Despite our disagreements on certain planes named after high altitude clouds N1120A and I are in strong agreement here. Just because Cessna stamped out thousands of these things doesn't make them "good" - had they not been produced we likely wouldn't have such a steep learning curve from a 172 into a real plane, which results in lots of banged up metal. Sure, good instruction can teach discipline, but at the end of the day if you learn to drive manual on a Jeep you're in no position to hop into a Celica/any BMW/really anything else that has any modicum of performance. At some point Cessna built good piston planes, and their twins are solid. But that whole high wing line post 180/185/190/195 is a throw away. They gave up and said "let's make cheap trash to train people on and build slightly less cheap trash to upsell them into after. Hopefully they never fly in any low wing or have a need to fly somewhere that isn't a dirt strip"

But here are some reasons why it's awful. I genuinely abhor the 172 in every possible way, but the more "objective" reasons are here
(1) ridiculous fuel sump options.. some have up to 13 drain points, others you can't actually adequately drain the gascolator without having ridiculous arm length, or just assuming there's no sediment/water and letting the plane pee all over the ground, which in most places is frowned on, and in some actually illegal and will get you yelled at

(2) driving it on the ground is a combination of brakes and bungee steering, it's very annoying to steer. The PA28 goes where your feet point it, and pure differential brake planes ultimately teach good engine power and foot discipline

(3) the trim wheel is in a remarkably stupid and uncomfortable spot, you have to lean forward to roll the wheel, this is (a) uncomfortable and (b) causes a momentary change in CG.. this means you can't ever really get the plane trimmed well. I can fly a PA28 for hours without touching the yoke, just gently adjusting the wheel or using my feet.. same is true in really any other aircraft

(4) no good rudder trim. Some have some knob you have move in detents left and right, but the folks at Cessna actually expect you to bend a piece of aluminum to set the trim.. I'm sorry, what?! The PA28 gives you a great rudder trim, even if it's not aerodynamic it lets you gently "trim away" and consistent foot pressure

(5) the visibility sucks. People always talk about "great visibility!" .. yeah, you can see straight down out the windows to the left and right and that's about it. The view over the nose is awful and you can't actually see straight left, or anywhere more than -15* up to the left or right

(6) it just doesn't feel "happy" in the air, always feels like you're asking it to do something it doesn't really want to

(7) it feels loose when you fly it. Some will call this "forgiving, and a great trainer!" - I call it reclassifying a bug as a "feature" .. it's like giving people a PADI cert without ever putting them in the ocean

(8) no slips with flaps.. really?! This is like when you need to have the ability to slip the most!

(9) the biggest problem.. IT IS JUST TOO DAMN EASY TO FLY.. requiring extensive transition training in really anything else one would transition to.. even a 182 people have trouble with "gee Billy, the nose is much heavier.. be careful!" <- seriously?! Just trim the thing and actually fly it. No wonder people who transition to something else without training end up porpoising and bending metal. In my opinion, the Tiger is the best trainer and should be used for primary.. but people say "it's too squirrely" or "I wouldn't do my instrument on one" <- holy hell

(10) air vents.. this has to be the laziest design.. hard to actually point them where you want, and they fall out

(11) scream the "look at me, I'm a trainer" look

(12) if it snows they sit on their tail

(13) BOTH fuel..
(a) this teaches very poor fuel management and discipline, resulting in threads where people ask "why it is so hard to manage fuel?" - it's not, set up a timer and move a knob from one position to the other..
(b) the tanks never actually drain evenly because of a moronic vent design
(c) if you have an engine failure due to contaminated fuel good luck figuring out which tank has the issue
(d) because that switch never gets used it makes me question the actual mechanical integrity of it
(e) fueling the plane means you never really get a top off, by the time you walk to the other wing some of the fuel has already cross bled. I've never actually seen a Cessna with "full" tanks.. there's always about an inch missing.. UNLESS, you remember to switch the tanks to L or R (f)
(f) you have to fly around with a ladder or do "mount the plane" gymnastics and perform a lascivious show for anyone already inside the aircraft in order to check the fuel tanks, in the meantime you are getting wing grime all over your clothes
(g) if you do manage to run the plane dry and have an engine failure you are screwed. At least with a plane where you switch tanks you (hopefully) have 15-30 minutes of fuel left by switching to another tank.. might give you just enough time to land at the closest airport

--and I have at least two dozen different 172 in my logbook and a few hundred hours in them, it wasn't just one or two "out of rig clapped out trainers" - they are massive piles of steaming hot poo. But, it flies.. so I if there's nothing else available I'll take one up. And, until I was flying the Cirrus, lady friends always preferred them because of the two door thing (which doesn't make sense because the pax has their own door anyway)

Every 172 needs to go the way of a Skycatcher, crushed up and thrown unceremoniously in a dumpster

#triggered
Goosfraba

Fine, after vacillating on this all morning, the 182

Pour gas into a huge engine to go barely 140 knots.. something that looks just like the trainer everyone else is trying to learn to fly on..

Awful.

Why anyone would buy this:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...2Q+SKYLANE&listing_id=2380443&s-type=aircraft

Over this:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=PIPER&model_group=PIPER+CHEROKEE+PA32+SERIES&model=CHEROKEE+6/300&listing_id=2388676&s-type=aircraft

Is absolutely beyond me

After the 190/195 (and 180), three of arguably the most beautiful single engine piston planes ever built.. Cessna should have either stopped building piston planes altogether, or at least not given up entirely. After the three aforementioned planes it's almost like Cessna was stuck in a passionless loveless marriage just going through the motions satisfying the flight schools.. everyone else knows that they emotionally gave up decades ago

... Anything that involves looking at the ground for a long time - which is why CAP buys so many of them :) Other benefits include only appreciating what ground effect really is when you finally switch to a low wing; always knowing where the ladder is so you can re-fuel, and (of course) not getting so wet during pre-flight in the rain.

(1) ridiculous fuel sump options.. some have up to 13 drain points, others you can't actually adequately drain the gascolator without having ridiculous arm length, or just assuming there's no sediment/water and letting the plane pee all over the ground, which in most places is frowned on, and in some actually illegal and will get you yelled at. No doubt, but the 13-sump issue is only on R-models and above. Your complaints are more high-wing issues than C172 issues. Sort of ignores the crawling on the ground to get to a PA28 (or most any low wing) fuel sump (twice).

(2) driving it on the ground is a combination of brakes and bungee steering, it's very annoying to steer. The PA28 goes where your feet point it, and pure differential brake planes ultimately teach good engine power and foot discipline Never had a C172 go anywhere on the ground but where my feet point it.

(3) the trim wheel is in a remarkably stupid and uncomfortable spot, you have to lean forward to roll the wheel, this is (a) uncomfortable and (b) causes a momentary change in CG.. this means you can't ever really get the plane trimmed well. I can fly a PA28 for hours without touching the yoke, just gently adjusting the wheel or using my feet.. same is true in really any other aircraft I hope that's hyperbole. Make smaller adjustments. Hopefully you never have to reach forward to change that fuel selector, it's uncomfortable in most aircraft. Same with switching radio frequencies or adjusting cabin heat.

(4) no good rudder trim. Some have some knob you have move in detents left and right, but the folks at Cessna actually expect you to bend a piece of aluminum to set the trim.. I'm sorry, what?! The PA28 gives you a great rudder trim, even if it's not aerodynamic it lets you gently "trim away" and consistent foot pressure Ok.

(5) the visibility sucks. People always talk about "great visibility!" .. yeah, you can see straight down out the windows to the left and right and that's about it. The view over the nose is awful and you can't actually see straight left, or anywhere more than -15* up to the left or right. That's not a C172 problem, that's a "I don't like high-wings" problem.

(6) it just doesn't feel "happy" in the air, always feels like you're asking it to do something it doesn't really want to. I don't recall the PA28-151 I took a ride in to be any more "happy" about flying than the C172, but okay, lol.

(8) no slips with flaps.. really?! This is like when you need to have the ability to slip the most! I think you misunderstand the placard. It's an advisory placard against forward slips primarily the 40-degree "barn door" flaps with flaps fully extended. On the later models with 30-degee flaps it's not much of an issue, and you can do it on any of them as long as you don't go past 30-degrees of flaps.

(9) the biggest problem.. IT IS JUST TOO DAMN EASY TO FLY.. requiring extensive transition training in really anything else one would transition to.. even a 182 people have trouble with "gee Billy, the nose is much heavier.. be careful!" <- seriously?! Just trim the thing and actually fly it. No wonder people who transition to something else without training end up porpoising and bending metal. In my opinion, the Tiger is the best trainer and should be used for primary.. but people say "it's too squirrely" or "I wouldn't do my instrument on one" <- holy hell I'll have to write down that: easy to fly = shouldn't have been made. Is too easy to fly is a poor trainer, or is benign flight characteristics better for an intro aircraft? "extensive transition training"? I don't recall the Cherokee being such a great aircraft that meant moving to more complex/faster aircraft was a non-event.

(10) air vents.. this has to be the laziest design.. hard to actually point them where you want, and they fall out Never had an issue with them falling out, but I find them more effective at providing airflow than the PA28 version. YMMV.

(11) scream the "look at me, I'm a trainer" look They probably said that about the T-6 as well :eyeroll:

(12) if it snows they sit on their tail Along with tons of other aircraft.

(13) BOTH fuel.. Again, not a C172 problem, a high-wing problem.
(a) this teaches very poor fuel management and discipline, resulting in threads where people ask "why it is so hard to manage fuel?" - it's not, set up a timer and move a knob from one position to the other.. Lol, poor fuel management has nothing to do with a "both" position on the fuel selector. People run out of fuel on all sorts of aircraft, it's usually not because of the position of the fuel selector.
(b) the tanks never actually drain evenly because of a moronic vent design I thought you wanted to practice fuel management and moving the fuel selector?
(c) if you have an engine failure due to contaminated fuel good luck figuring out which tank has the issue Grasping at straws there, since I'd imagine both tanks get fueled the majority of the time, they'd both have contamination. It's also not a situation that occurs much.
(d) because that switch never gets used it makes me question the actual mechanical integrity of it May have some truth to it.
(e) fueling the plane means you never really get a top off, by the time you walk to the other wing some of the fuel has already cross bled. I've never actually seen a Cessna with "full" tanks.. there's always about an inch missing.. UNLESS, you remember to switch the tanks to L or R (f) Again, I thought you wanted to practice fuel management and moving the fuel selector?
(f) you have to fly around with a ladder or do "mount the plane" gymnastics and perform a lascivious show for anyone already inside the aircraft in order to check the fuel tanks, in the meantime you are getting wing grime all over your clothes sigh, not a C172 problem, a high-wing problem. Most of the C-series have steps on the fuselage and strut, no need for a ladder.
(g) if you do manage to run the plane dry and have an engine failure you are screwed. At least with a plane where you switch tanks you (hopefully) have 15-30 minutes of fuel left by switching to another tank.. might give you just enough time to land at the closest airport Are we practicing fuel management or not? Doing so means you don't run out of fuel, not relying on a lesser-used tank hoping there's some fumes left to run on.

#triggered

Not to beat a dead horse, but most of your complaints seem to be about wanting more laborious fuel management and distaste for high-wings. Hopefully my responses don't trigger your Skyhawk reflux any more, I just responded to poke some holes, lol.

Not to beat a dead horse, but most of your complaints seem to be about wanting more laborious fuel management and distaste for high-wings. Hopefully my responses don't trigger your Skyhawk reflux any more, I just responded to poke some holes, lol.
I think I got it all out of my system now.. we should be good. I just need a quarterly 172 rant

The air vent comment made me laugh at a memory. On my PP check ride, the air vent on my side blew out into my lap. As it happened often on that, ahem, very experienced training airplane, I simply picked it up and tossed into the back seat. After my bust, the examiner commented that he knew I was saturated because of how I handled the air vent. I just told him, "It happens all the time. Putting it back is pointless." and we both had a good laugh.

I don't have extensive experience in other planes. I have perhaps a dozen hours in various PA-28s including enough to get my complex endorsement in Arrows. Other than I keep looking the wrong way to clear a turn, I can't say they are much different to fly. Some C-172s I've flown are sloppy. Some are not. I've never had that much trouble trimming either one. (I do seem to always start turning the ceiling trim crank in the older PA-28 the wrong direction first. But you figure that out pretty quick. :) ) The only issue I have in flying either one hands off is they both tend to bank on their own. If that's rigging (as seems likely) then I've never flown a well rigged plane of either type.

With my arthritic knees I'm torn between the big leg up to check the fuel level on the high wing vs the get down an crawl to get to the under wing fuel sumps on the low wing. Both are a pain in the knees.

How about a nice Mid-wing trainer?

John

The air vent comment made me laugh at a memory. On my PP check ride, the air vent on my side blew out into my lap. As it happened often on that, ahem, very experienced training airplane, I simply picked it up and tossed into the back seat. After my bust, the examiner commented that he knew I was saturated because of how I handled the air vent. I just told him, "It happens all the time. Putting it back is pointless." and we both had a good laugh.

I don't have extensive experience in other planes. I have perhaps a dozen hours in various PA-28s including enough to get my complex endorsement in Arrows. Other than I keep looking the wrong way to clear a turn, I can't say they are much different to fly. Some C-172s I've flown are sloppy. Some are not. I've never had that much trouble trimming either one. (I do seem to always start turning the ceiling trim crank in the older PA-28 the wrong direction first. But you figure that out pretty quick. :) ) The only issue I have in flying either one hands off is they both tend to bank on their own. If that's rigging (as seems likely) then I've never flown a well rigged plane of either type.

With my arthritic knees I'm torn between the big leg up to check the fuel level on the high wing vs the get down an crawl to get to the under wing fuel sumps on the low wing. Both are a pain in the knees.

John

Not so much a trainer but Commanders sit nice and high for a low wing as do Navions.

Show me on this doll where the bad 172 touched you.
Agree. This wasn’t an opinion on the 172 as much as an obsessive vendetta with more zeal than than Spanish Inquisition.

Maybe a cry for help. Perhaps a traumatic childhood memory. Perhaps someone dressed in a bear costume arrived in a 172 and chased you around the airport. It has happened....

Not so much a trainer but Commanders sit nice and high for a low wing as do Navions.

Commanders are on my short list. I'm waiting a bit to see how the financial markets (and the airplane markets) shake out over the next bit as well as finishing out my last few months of working. But I'd love a 114 or a 115 Commander. Unless I ultimately decide on a twin. :)

I always felt like the Cherokee was an easier flying airplane than the 172. :dunno:

I will say I like the manual flaps. But I also have lots of hours in a C-172C which had manual flaps so that's not unique to the Cherokee. And the nose wheel steering is more positive in the PA-28, but I'll argue that the bungee cord steering prepares you for castoring nose wheel more advanced air craft. Just like the more difficult flying of the PA-28 prepares you for more advanced aircraft handling. :)

Only real thing I disliked about the 172 was the electric flaps. Give me the Johnson bar every time.

Cheers

Edited to change trim to flaps:confused:

Last edited:
I'll argue that the bungee cord steering prepares you for castoring nose wheel more advanced air craft.
I liked the castoring nosewheel on the Grumman-American Cheetah I used to own. But the disadvantage is that if you lose a brake, or taxi on an icy surface, you lose steering altogether.

Cessna's nosegear has a centering cam that keeps the nosewheel aligned with the direction of flight even if you touch down with rudder deflected for crosswind correction. In a direct-linkage system, you have to remember to center the rudder before touchdown lest the nosewheel, aimed catty-wompus to the direction of flight, steers you into the weeds on the downwind side.

John

You can always send grandkids/gf/wife/friend/etc up a ladder or under a wing, but if you can't get into or out of the airplane with bad knees/disability/etc no one is going anywhere.

If the wife/gf can't get into and out of the airplane easily they will hate it.

Cessnas make carb ice just by looking at them. And I don't mean the cold icy stare of an ex either.

It really is though... #triggered

This is really silly. I get that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but for literally EACH of these points I can give you a counterpoint that suggests the exact opposite. Consider that I've owned both Cessna's and Pipers and love both of them, here's a few counterpoints.

1) One door, are you kidding? There's no single bigger downer for ergonomics of an airplane than the choice of a single entry door.
2) Low wing lack of shelter. No wet seats, no wet people. Standing under that wing for loading and unloading is a huge plus, even in nice weather when its hot out.
3) Oleo struts on the mains. 3x more seals to leak, more chrome to pit, more Mx expense.
4) That fuel system. Pumps fail, pilots forget them. Gravity has been known to be pretty reliable over the years. This eliminates an ENTIRE class of engine out failure modes.
5) Carb ice. If your premise is that the plane shouldn't be 'too easy' lest it breed lazy or uninformed pilots, I'd suggest a trainer that needs good carb heat management is 'better' than one in which carb heat is an afterthought (fyi, I don't like this stance, just using your assertions to draw this conclusion).
6) Pitch trim. Cessna's engineering is vastly better than Piper's on this system. It smoother, more precise, and more effective. That little barrel with cable wrapped around it is a constant source of Mx issues on older Pipers. As for the wheel, I've never had the slightest trouble reaching it. Perhaps some ergonomic issue here based on pilot dimensions, but I don't see it.
7) Vents... um... Pipers are terrible here. You have to taxi with the DOOR OPEN lol. Cessnas even have opening windows for Pete's sake.
8) No slips with flaps is a myth. People slip Cessnas all the time in all configurations. I've never seen a prohibition against it (point one out if I'm missing something here).
9) While were on the topic of flaps, PA-28 flaps are a bit of a joke compared to the barn doors on Cessnas.
10) Doesn't feel happy in the air? Not even sure how to address this, but I will say that my tapered wing PA-28 was less stable in yaw (particularly in slow flight) than any Cessna I've ever flown. I think when they tweaked the Cherokee planform they got the moments just a bit wrong.
11) Visibility... its a clear trade off. Up vs down. You choose which is better. Passengers love "down" btw.
12) Fueling. Got nothing here, ladders suck LOL :)

For clarity, not hating on PA-28's here. I loved mine! Just illustrating that all airplanes are compromises, and passionately labelling 172's (the most produced trainer in GA history) as trash is just silly.

-G

Last edited:
This is really silly. I get that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but for literally EACH of these points I can give you a counterpoint that suggests the exact opposite. Consider that I've owned both Cessna's and Pipers and love both of them, here's a few counterpoints.

1) One door, are you kidding? There's no single bigger downer for ergonomics of an airplane than the choice of a single entry door.
2) Low wing lack of shelter. No wet seats, no wet people. Standing under that wing for loading and unloading is a huge plus, even in nice weather when its hot out.
3) Oleo struts on the mains. 3x more seals to leak, more chrome to pit, more Mx expense.
4) That fuel system. Pumps fail, pilots forget them. Gravity has been known to be pretty reliable over the years. This eliminates an ENTIRE class of engine out failure modes.
5) Carb ice. If your premise is that the plane shouldn't be 'too easy' lest it breed lazy or uninformed pilots, I'd suggest a trainer that needs good carb heat management is 'better' than one in which carb heat is an afterthought (fyi, I don't like this stance, just using your assertions to draw this conclusion).
6) Pitch trim. Cessna's engineering is vastly better than Piper's on this system. It smoother, more precise, and more effective. That little barrel with cable wrapped around it is a constant source of Mx issues on older Pipers. As for the wheel, I've never had the slightest trouble reaching it. Perhaps some ergonomic issue here based on pilot dimensions, but I don't see it.
7) Vents... um... Pipers are terrible here. You have to taxi with the DOOR OPEN lol. Cessna's even have opening windows for Pete's sake.
8) No slips with flaps is a myth. People slip Cessnas all the time in all configurations. I've never seen a prohibition against it (point one out if I'm missing something here).
9) While were on the topic of flaps, PA-28 flaps are a bit of a joke compared to the barn doors on Cessnas.
10) Doesn't feel happy in the air? Not even sure how to address this, but I will say that my tapered wing PA-28 was less stable in yaw (particularly in slow flight) than any Cessna I've ever flown. I think when they tweaked the Cherokee planform they got the moments just a bit wrong.
11) Visibility... its a clear trade off. Up vs down. You choose which is better. Passengers love "down" btw.
12) Fueling. Got nothing here, ladders suck LOL :)

For clarity, not hating on PA-28's here. I loved mine! Just illustrating that all airplanes are compromises, and passionately labelling 172's trash is just silly.

-G
I'll concede on 1, 2, and somewhat on 7. I've looked at Sundowners, etc. for that second door. And seeing guys at fly ins with folding chairs set up under their wings in the shade does seem appealing.

None of our planes keep you cool on a hot day but a 172 has a slight advantage. If that was a higher priority I'd say Ercoupe or AA1/5

None of our planes keep you cool on a hot day but a 172 has a slight advantage. If that was a higher priority I'd say Ercoupe or AA1/5

I currently fly a 182 with two opening side windows, and I assure you it is more than a slight advantage on a hot day. Agree about the sliding canopy, but I'm personally convinced that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM leaks when it rains :D

There was a 172RG in the fleet that I flew many years ago. I liked it. Largely as it was very available and a little bit faster. The owner had it on lease back and didn't keep the 430 database up-to-date. That kept people from using it to travel, just for complex endorsements and commercial license training.

I got my own Jeppesen account, datacard and writer. Then swapped out the cards when I flew so the database was updated. :)

Nice having a plane that was more available on the weekends than the others.

Wayne

I currently fly a 182 with two opening side windows, and I assure you it is more than a slight advantage on a hot day.
I wonder what the option for the 2nd opening window cost when these planes were new. I have a friend who has a 172 ii and it's has a lot of nice options... vents for the backseat, lights under the wings, factory autopilot... but the right window doesn't open. As a photographer, I would not consider owning one that didn't have two opening windows.

The 182 I've been flying has a skydive door on it. Talk about nice for taxiing in the Summer!!

I love a good debate! Thanks @George Mohr

The door is a big downer, I agree.. that was one of my biggest draws to the Cirrus and why I would grab a club 172 if I had non pilots flying with me.. BUT.. there are a TON of planes out there that are revered as "the best" from very passionate owners who claim there is nothing wrong with one door. Mooney, most of the Bonanzas out there, etc., all have just the one right door. And again, for pax, they're getting their "own" door anyway

I've heard this and in theory it makes sense, but that wing doesn't take up that much real estate and is relatively low, I've never actually seen people milling about under a Skyhawk wing. You're preflighting, loading the baggage, etc. -BUT yes, they are generally cooler on hot days, and this is a plus. But my rant wasn't a decree against high wings, it was a soliloquy against the 172

The 172 is not free of it on the nose gear, which shimmies itself to death. This really proves more of a vote for Tiger/Cirrus/Lancair/Tomohawk style gear

How many failures are attributed to a failed pump? Any saves here are made up for by a carburetor that churns out ice

True, it teaches good carb heat discipline, but Cessna eventually went to an injected plane. I can hot start a large turbo charged Conti without any issues. But ask me to start a 172R/SP etc and I simply won't be able to do it. User error? The plane knowing I hate it and refusing to play ball? Maybe..

"pilot dimensions" - just call me fat :rofl: (actually, I'm about 6, maybe on the lankier side?)

7) Vents... um... Pipers are terrible here. You have to taxi with the DOOR OPEN lol. Cessnas even have opening windows for Pete's sake.
Open windows are nice. But I don't mind the Piper vent. I turn the fan on and get a nice gently breeze out of a vent on the food, and the ones with A/C turn into a veritable ice box. The AC in our club Archer works far far far better than the ones in the Cirrus (what does THAT say?!)
but the right window doesn't open
-yes, I've been in a few 172 and 182 that don't have both windows open.. peculiar

lights under the wings
-actually, the first time I saw this, I thought it was *really* cool. Enough so that I was wishing there was an STC to insert some prismatic "ramp" lights either in the vertical or horizontal stabs on low wing planes

Sure, see below. Not a limitation, but it's asking you politely not to do it. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it causes some vibrations that wear some bearing down at the rear of the plane

You don't like the cool handbrake effect turning base to final?

It just doesn't seem to fly "right" .. maybe it has to do with the relatively light wingloading, center of lift, center of gravity, and thrust. I like the "riding on rails" feeling you get in the Archer. Yes, the Archer does yaw somewhat. But so does everyone's favorite plane, the Bonanza (at least the short body and V-tails)

This one's always an anomaly to me.. I would rather look at a beautiful wing as opposed to a tire and struts, pitot tubes, and grease stains. The strut is really my big issue.. at least the 210 lacks the strut

12) Fueling. Got nothing here, ladders suck LOL
Someone mentioned squatting under the PA28 wing as an advantage for the highwing. I guess I can see that but I'd still rather bend over for a quick squirt of fuel then the whole ladder thing

passionately labelling 172's (the most produced trainer in GA history) as trash is just silly
"most produced" doesn't necessarily mean good.. I bet more cheap single ply toilet paper is produced than good quilted multi-ply

No slips with flaps. Fine, not a limitation, but it's at least a suggestion:
upload_2020-11-19_12-1-13.png

My dad (who owned my current 172N for 20 years before his passing) suffered greatly from claustrophobia. He had to have a door next to him. Not that he would use it in flight, of course; it just had to be there. He was fine in his Cessnas; but a PA-28, Mooney or anything else with a single door on the wrong side would have been a non-starter for him.

I agree. I rest my right hand on my right knee, and my fingers can easily tweak the trim wheel up or down without moving my wrist.

Actually, pre-1972 C-172 manuals did use the word "prohibited". But there's much more to the story. Rather than derail this thread on that topic, here's a link to my post on that subject a few months ago. Bottom line, I routinely slip my 172N with full 40° flap and get excellent short-field performance.

For clarity, not hating on PA-28's here. I loved mine! Just illustrating that all airplanes are compromises, and passionately labelling 172's (the most produced trainer in GA history) as trash is just silly.
Agreed. I have owned seven airplanes over the years, four high-wing (three Cessnas and a Cub) and three low-wing (Cherokee, Cheetah and Bonanza), and enjoyed them all.

I would only add that for most of the 172's estimable 55 year production run (excluding the 10-year Cessna factory hiatus 1986-96) it was marketed as a personal, family and business airplane. Only since the 1996 restart, after the demise of the C-150/152, has it been marketed primarily as a trainer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 11.52.35 AM.jpg

Cherokee, Cheetah and Bonanza
That's a great lineup and a good diversity of machines.. I was going to ask which is your favorite but they all seem to have their own mission so it wouldn't really be a fair comparison

RE: no slips with flaps... Never seen that 'suggestion', I admit that is very odd. I'll check my 182 POH for similar, but I fully intend to continue using slips as needed, the airplane flies them just fine!

Thanks for that link. Learn something new every day around these parts!

No slips with flaps... bah! WTH would you need a slip for if you already didn't have all the flap out? Try telling a glider guy he can't use slips! HERESY! :D

Edit: I got it. We can easily retrofit a pitch augmentation system to counter this awful flight characteristic. Lets call it MCAS...

I was going to ask which is your favorite but they all seem to have their own mission so it wouldn't really be a fair comparison
That's pretty much it. Different airplanes for different seasons of life, locations, family and economic circumstances, etc. For now, for us, the 180 hp 172N is the ideal retirement machine.

RE: no slips with flaps... Never seen that 'suggestion', I admit that is very odd. I'll check my 182 POH for similar, but I fully intend to continue using slips as needed, the airplane flies them just fine!

I'm almost positive that was never a "suggestion" on any of the 182's I know its not on mine. You can come down like an elevator with a forward slip and 40deg of barn door flaps!

I gave a flight review to a man in his Cessna 185 floatplane. He insisted on having the doors open for takeoff and landing................presumably for easy egress in an accident. He was dumbfounded that I'd never heard of doing that.

You folks writing about C-172s write as if there's one C-172 model. Carb ice? Big deal on the Continental engined versions (172, A-H). Not nearly as big a deal on the Lycoming birds. Reaching the trim wheel? C model it's on the floor between the seats. N & R models it's on the lower panel. Wing loading to light? C model (and presumably earlier) were noticeably lighter than the later R & S models-but then so was the plane. Johnson bar flaps? Early C-172s had them. Then came the "hold & count" up down switch. Then the notched switch (hold it in that second notch so it didn't hop out and deploy fully-at least on the worn training planes I've flown). Comparing relatively minor complaints on planes that have had so many different models over such a long span is almost like saying "They're all birds. Doesn't matter if it's a hummingbird or a condor."

180 hp 172N
For all the hate I lob at it (mostly hyperbole) my favorite go-to plane for local flights here is what we lovingly call "the Pirate Ship"

No AP but very clean and well taken care of with a GTN 650 (but no other "glass") .. actually my first few actual IMC flights were in this plane

Out at PSP a few years ago

upload_2020-11-19_14-58-49.png

Back