Planes from Floor-Ree-Duh!

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
It was once spoke to me to avoid buying a plane that had spent time in Florida and bringing to a dry climate as it not whether or you going to have a corrosion problem, it is how bad of problem going to have as the dry climate will accelerate the problem. Seems counter intuitive to me... but what do I know... sicks wekes ago I koudnt spel pylit, now I is one..

Is there iron in these words, or is this talk of a two tonged devil?

All depends on how it was cared for. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a coastal airplane. I would have a prebuy that asks specifically for a corrosion inspection though.

The dry climate from a coastal climate acceleration is hogwash.

I’ve found that most Florida planes have lived most of their life in the north. Take that for what it’s worth.

But moving it to a “dry” climate is not going to accelerate it. That’s nonsense.

Also, there’s Florida and then there’s Florida. There is quite a difference between the ramp at KVRB and a hangar at KGNV.

But a dry climate accelerating corrosion sounds like total BS.

Dry climate does not accelerate corrosion, but buyer beware of airplanes that have lived in costal states or un hangared. Rodent urine and dropping are also rather corrosive.

That’s funny because you never see cars with corrosion problems and many including my own spend most of the time parked close enough to hear sounds of the ocean.

Dry climate does not accelerate corrosion, but buyer beware of airplanes that have lived in costal states or un hangared. Rodent urine and dropping are also rather corrosive.

rodents only live in coastal states? Those salty dogs.

corrosion is bad stuff....and it's bad anywhere along the gulf coast from the Keys all the way around to Corpus Cristi Tx.

I was burned early on....with a plane outside of Miami. Let's just say I left it and got back on the silver tube for home.

As a resident of a coastal town in Florida, corrosion can be brutal. I do corrosion treatment on my plane at every annual. I consider it cheap insurance. A friend of mine purchased a nice Cardenal a few months ago from south Florida and it was corrosion free. As stated above, it depends on how it was taken care of.

That’s funny because you never see cars with corrosion problems and many including my own spend most of the time parked close enough to hear sounds of the ocean.

I have a nasty habit of buying and selling sports cars. Florida or other coastal location cars absolutely have corrosion issues. There are degrees of corrosion depending on how the car was stored, where in FL ect.. Most of that corrosion you might not notice at a glance but a careful inspection will find the issues. Newer cars have excellent corrosion resistance on body panels and frame but after a car reaches 10 to 15 years old or so you also start to see electrical issues as connections corrode. I recently looked at a 1974 car near Tampa and it looked great from 10 feet away but the car was a corroded mess upon inspection. Ad said always garaged no corrosion!
I purchased a 2012 Porsche that was in FL from 2012 to 2016 and then moved to inland CA. It had light surface corrosion on underbody components the seller in CA said was present when he bought the car out of FL.

as the dry climate will accelerate the problem
No. However, any existing corrosion left untreated will continue to advance regardless of the location. In my experience its more a perception issue once you bring a coastal aircraft inland as it seems every subsequent annual "new" corrosion appears to rear its head. So until the aircraft is proactively cleaned and treated it can appear that corrosion "accelerates" in non-coastal areas.

I have a nasty habit of buying and selling sports cars. Florida or other coastal location cars absolutely have corrosion issues. There are degrees of corrosion depending on how the car was stored, where in FL ect.. Most of that corrosion you might not notice at a glance but a careful inspection will find the issues. Newer cars have excellent corrosion resistance on body panels and frame but after a car reaches 10 to 15 years old or so you also start to see electrical issues as connections corrode. I recently looked at a 1974 car near Tampa and it looked great from 10 feet away but the car was a corroded mess upon inspection. Ad said always garaged no corrosion!
I purchased a 2012 Porsche that was in FL from 2012 to 2016 and then moved to inland CA. It had light surface corrosion on underbody components the seller in CA said was present when he bought the car out of FL.

I bought my 2013 Porsche out of Wisconsin and drove it to Florida. I was worried about salt corrosion from the snow. I surmise that both high end cars and airplanes get looked at with similar lenses.

My first car was a Chevy Luv, a 1978, I bought it in 1988. It was so rusty that the lower mounts on the front fenders were actually gone. The kick panels had some many holes from rust that when it rained the water would pour in. I remember as a kid seeing two year old cars with fenders rusted out.
The first forklift I bought came from the houston area, welded 1/4" studs used to attach safety guards and panels were rusted off completely. Corrosion is definitely an issue on anything from a coastal area or an area that has snow and ice. I don't know what they put on the runway at KEGE, but my unpainted plane and others really started seeing accelerated corrosion. We see the same thing from planes based at KASE.

Jets are very sensitive to corrosion (can lead to very expensive engine issues) and coastal exposure or European history (the apparently use some rather corrosive anti ice agents on runways in Europe that we don't - although the concern is as much about gear components there) are both things to really pay attention to when buying.

You’re supposed to do compressor washes frequently when a jet is flown near the ocean or coastal areas.

You’re supposed to do compressor washes frequently when a jet is flown near the ocean or coastal areas.
Also some turbine OEMs point to urban pollutants to trigger engine wash and rinses as well. Plus wash/rinse water quality is a big issue as in some areas the local water supply can actually add to the engine internal contaminants.

My airplane was in Daytona for 6-ish weeks for an avionics upgrade. When I got it home, it was covered in little flecks of salt, and the polished spinner and step had little spots of rust all over them.

I bought my 2013 Porsche out of Wisconsin and drove it to Florida. I was worried about salt corrosion from the snow. I surmise that both high end cars and airplanes get looked at with similar lenses.
High end cars owned where there's salt for the snow aren't driven in the winter. They sit in a garage and give mice a home.

Back