Plane you are happiest to have gotten to fly..

I haven't gotten to fly that many but any of the 3 RVs I've flown would get my vote (4, 6, 8)

Comment on:

Funny lookin' plane. :D

OH-6 - Check it out in the military version -"Little Bird" otherwise known as the "Killer Egg". It isn't funny looking, It is downright scary looking

Tough to narrow it down. I guess P-51, Extra 300 and Eclipse 500, in that order.

What about LEAST happy to have gotten to fly?
Any Cessna trike single.

No particluar order but

1) Citation Bravo - Right seat
2) Gregs 195 - Right Seat
3) The RV was pretty darn fun too.

1. The custom built for my missions, TII STOL Highlander Amphib.

2. Twin Turbo Riley SkyMaster ~700 HP & 4000 fpm Climb....

3. 1941 Stinson 108 Seaplane

4. Cessna 205, 182s, 172s &150s

Curtis Robin,

I'll have to scan a picture to post.
Last I heard it is now in an aviation museum near the Grand Canyon.
Helped fly it from VGT to the sellers home at a fly-in community, Eagles Landing in AZ, west of PHX.

Kolb Firestar II

Really low and really slow....very rewarding.

104makk.jpg

I've been thinking of building one of those or something lke it.
Maybe I should, do the wings fold for trailering?

Curtis Robin,

I'll have to scan a picture to post.
Last I heard it is now in an aviation museum near the Grand Canyon.
Helped fly it from VGT to the sellers home at a fly-in community, Eagles Landing in AZ, west of PHX.

This one is at that museum:

7169961353_ce948aaab8.jpg

First time flying acro in a buddies starduster. What a rush hanging from the belts, at the controls, leather cap, open cockpit...

I was going to say the ford Tri-Motor, but heck, I could do that any time they're in the area and I have the time and money.
And although I've been incredibly lucky with near-strangers giving me control of aircraft types I'd never flown, #1 has to be the time I was ready to share the front hole of a Waco UPF-7 for a joyride, but since that party decided to come back later, the pilot/owner put the stick back in for me and let me fly it a bit. I had to pay for both seats, but it was well worth it. Only biplane I've ever flown, although I've taken rides in a bunch of them.

Here's a neat video about Carolina Belle and her caretakers, Jim and Laura Banky.

There are several, but Jack Murdock's Aztec Nomad (the prototype) comes to mind, about 1969.
63610459-4e8a-46c8-9bde-211621a427d1_zps67face0c.jpg

This one is at that museum:

7169961353_ce948aaab8.jpg

That's the one! My logbook confirms the registration, NC74H, 2-15-1997.
They were going to keep it in flyable condition. Hope they did.

I need to get over there and see what else they have.

Lear25 on a cold day. Friggin fast.

Lear25 on a cold day. Friggin fast.
I never got to fly a Lear 25 but I did get to fly a 28 on a ferry flight. That was cool because there weren't many built (5?).

Citabria for a TW intro...even got to loop it.

. . . Yes Commanders are luxurious, but this is may all time favorite. Felt like I was flying a WW2 war bird.

T28-1.jpg

This one (Hawker 800):

attachment.php

Honorable mention to Extra 300, Husky, and Stearman. And to the Mooney because it's the first plane I've ever flown that nobody else has access to - Nice to go with no reservation whenever it strikes my fancy.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 159
You're tellin' me. I used to be so mad when I worked on the Hornet when I was see people that had no business getting a ride , getting a ride.

Controllers need to know what it's like on the other side of the mike. :D back in the '90s VMFA-533 once had a policy to take up all enlisted personnel in their squadron. I was working arrival once when one of their aircraft came back. The pilot told me his passenger was hot miking over the freq. I switched them to tower for the overhead. I heard the pilot say to the guy in back that this is going to put some Gs on ya. I monitored the twr freq and as he hit the break and heard "hoooollly shhhhht." Priceless.

Last edited:
T-28, it was the first time that I climbed out at 140kts.

From my professional life, this is the most fun you can have wearing polyester pants and a zip-up tie. Was honored to get about 3000hrs in the left seat of this badboy.

dojeets_zpsa569b17f.jpg

Did you fly the prop version ever?

From my professional life, this is the most fun you can have wearing polyester pants and a zip-up tie. Was honored to get about 3000hrs in the left seat of this badboy.

dojeets_zpsa569b17f.jpg

Haven't flown one yet, but a Grumman Tiger would be tops on my list for asel. Hopefully someday.

BuNo 159595 . . . MODEX AG110

Nice, that is pretty cool. One of my favorite DH's came from the Dawgs.....

For me BuNo 163508, (VMFAT-101 "SH 237" when I flew it) the jet ADM Fox bagged his MIG-21 in during Desert Storm. Unfortunately that flight ended with me making an emergency landing in Yuma for smoke in the cockpit, after which I waited in the air terminal for 8 hrs until they could fly a T-34 out to get me. Speaking of which, to be honest, doing aerobatics as a new solo student pilot in the T-34 was probably some of the most fun of my career.

I loved F-15C 86-160 the most because it was the first jet to have my name on it. Something I dreamed about forever.

Same as 35AOA: solo'ing the Tweet was awesome. 58-058 was my first jet solo.

Got a ride in the back of a Spitfire (off the grass at Duxford no less!) that was an incredible experience.

I loved F-15C 86-160 the most because it was the first jet to have my name on it. Something I dreamed about forever.

Good point......don't know the BuNo, but it was exciting to notice my name on a jet for the first time. I had forgotten about it (since it was out at NSAWC for almost a year), but I noticed it again looking back at my wingman the other day looking back to kiss him off in the break. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
. . . Yes Commanders are luxurious, but this is may all time favorite. Felt like I was flying a WW2 war bird.

T28-1.jpg

This was my old man's favorite as well. Cool picture hanging on the folk's wall of him trapping on some WWII boat back in the '50's in it with canopy open back in his days in the TRACOM. He always tells me stories about that motor, and flying two of them strapped together when he proceeded onto the S-2. He also has a story about being young and stupid and radioing to his IP that he had an engine problem, as he was joining up and with the throttle firewalled, wasn't accelerating. Turns out he had the big barn door speedbrake extended and hadn't noticed. :)

Easy, Convair 580. It was a blast to fly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Duo Discus, magic carpet built for two.

Back