Plane Crash in CT - intentional?

Cajun_Flyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Cajun Flyer
Here's one for ya... a plane crash with a CFI and student in a twin yesterday. The CFI survived, student died. The accident occurred next to a Pratt & Whitney factory, which raised some red flags. The news article (which I realize may be misleading) makes it sound like the CFI is telling investigators his student intentionally crashed the plane.

Here's the story:

FBI Investigating if Fatal Plane Crash Intentional

As if CFIs don't have enough to worry about, now in today's climate they have to worry about this kind of thing as well.

I always put a huge * when I see this line in any current news story: "The official spoke on the condition of anonymity..."

I didn't see anything in the article or in the interview linked to that confirms that it was a CFI and student, only that the investigator said the flight was "thought to have" originated from one of the flight schools, presumably at KHFD. The passenger who perished had a SEL certificate only, so of course it could have been a MEL training flight, but that doesn't seem to be confirmed in either of the two stories. Just wondering where you saw that additional info.

This has been on the news here, they did report a CFI and a pilot from Ill. The CFI survived and said it was no accident.

Yeah I'm calling salivating media spin job here!

For one, the dude was already a pilot, if he wanted to lawn dart a plane he could have just rented one, a trainer twin ain't going to do much more damage than a single, especially a average complex or 182, make zero sense there.

Two, P&W isn't really a target, I mean most of the drooling masses don't even know what that is, not like piling into a large public meeting, black lives matter, gay pride, marathon, Disney land etc.

Three, "anonymous source" uh huh...

Four, it's the frickin' New York Times, they are like 80% media entertainment and only 20% news, and of that 20% they only report what fits their agenda/demographic.

So yeah, BS

Probably a VMC demo gone wrong, fuel mismanage, etc, still horrible, but no, not "terrorists" sorry

None the less RIP

Given the dead pilots name, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was intentional.

I feel the same when I hear a christian or muslim name too, both those violent Puritan -religions- and capable of some very ungodly behavior.

That said, for the reasons I stated, I'd be highly surprised if it was a "terrorist".

Last edited:
I didn't see anything in the article or in the interview linked to that confirms that it was a CFI and student,

Other articles state it was a CFI and his student, and that they were based out of the flight school there.

I feel the same when I hear a christian or muslim name too, both those violent Puritan races and capable of some very ungodly behavior.

That said, for the reasons I stated, I'd be highly surprised if it was a "terrorist".
Christian and Muslim races? I didn't realize religion was ethnic. So what do those Christians name themselves that give them away so easily?

P&W "critical infrastructure"...lol
Maybe e was trying to get a good look at the new geared engine and stalled it......

Watching this one closely...doesn't make a whole lot of since right now.
Why didn't he just rent a 150 and fly it down if it was intentional? P&W would be a strange target for sure. Maybe by intentional the CFI meant suicide?

My initial guess is that the fully intentional nature is in deed a media creation. There are more errors than I can count on the local news reporting about it already.

Ha! I was just about to say the same.

Take it easy cause it's going in that direction. :cool:

Yea lets see if we can keep religion and religious speculation out of this. Plenty to talk about other than that at this point.

Thanks, that article does indeed supply the missing info.

As far as whether it was a training accident, we do apparently have the CFI's word that it was not an accidental crash. But I agree that we really need to wait for more facts to come out, and suspecting that it was terrorism based on the student's last name is really unwarranted IMHO. For all we know, the student might have had a relative killed in a crash for which he blamed P&W. (And yes, that's wild speculation too.)

Need. More. Facts. We just don't really know anything yet.

As long as we're speculating...

Or, CFI f---ed the pooch, and rather than face action, saw a way to make it the "fault" of the deceased student...

We had a serious injury (car) crash where the boyfriend shoved his unconscious, critically injured girlfriend into the driver's seat because he didn't have a license...

@James331, James. Hmmm, sounds familiar. Seems like I remember seeing that name somewhere before....Oh yes, now I remember. Jesus' brother and apostle. Well James331, since youre one of those with a Christian name, does that mean????

Why didn't he just rent a 150 and fly it down if it was intentional? P&W would be a strange target for sure. Maybe by intentional the CFI meant suicide?

My initial guess is that the fully intentional nature is in deed a media creation. There are more errors than I can count on the local news reporting about it already.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sudden Jihad Syndrome

As long as we're speculating...

Or, CFI f---ed the pooch, and rather than face action, saw a way to make it the "fault" of the deceased student...

We had a serious injury (car) crash where the boyfriend shoved his unconscious, critically injured girlfriend into the driver's seat because he didn't have a license...

The CFI suffered a severe injury/burn. Let's not throw him under the bus here. If he was going to lie about it to cover his ass, I doubt - unless he's a truly deplorable person - that he would crucify his dead student when he could have easily just played dumb and said he didn't know what happened. He also could have just claimed it was a mechanical problem... plane is burnt to a crisp anyway. The only reason I can see that he would say the crash was intentional was if it really was intentional. But then the question becomes - Suicide attempt? Crazy student having an outburst? Attempted terrorism? Something else? The media obviously wants to paint it in the most dramatic light possible, but, ultimately, we don't know.

Well if anything that suggests terrorism more than suicide. A 150 solo is a much better choice for suicide but a twin is a better choice to inflict damage and since he isnt MEL rated, the instructor was necessary to rent the plane.

They are doing a press conference at 11... we'll see what it they say.

The media obviously wants to paint it in the most dramatic light possible, but, ultimately, we don't know.

The media has interest beyond ratings. They choose to downplay plenty of stories that would improve viewership.

I have no idea what actually happened here and I am not speculating.

But on the issue of a student intentionally crashing I am aware of a previous incident (not involving the middle east)
Local FBO owner/CFI/farmer was flying with a student who had was at the point of doing the touch and go circuits that CFI's all know and love. Two guys in a C150. Coming over the fence for another of the circuit when the student suddenly rams the yoke hard forward and holds it there. This is like 100 feet up. CFI yells and jerks back on the yoke. The student has his arms straight out and pushing with all his strength. CFI tells me by then he could count the individual blades of grass sticking up through the cracks in the runway.
CFI is a big guy, six and a half feet of solid farmer muscle and he shoves his legs straight out as best he can and simply does a 400 pound arm curl overpowering the student, bringing the yoke back into his chest yanking the nose up, the plane hits one second later with a huge bang and carroms back into the air (he said it felt like 20 feet) and then just drops to the concrete with a second crash and rolls a few dozen yards to a stop. The student opens the door, gets out, walks away and he never saw him again.
He says to this day that it was a suicide attempt and if he had not been a big guy and in good shape from throwing seed bags and such they would have died.

The presser is ROUGH to listen to the...one of the media members just asked about the recovery of the black box!

And to follow up the press conference gave a whole lotta nothing. Sounds like they are going to need some time to really figure out what the hell happened up there. Given the FBIs presence in the investigation we can assume there is at least a possibility that it is not just another training incident.

Mental illness? Suicide by airplane? It would not be the first time.

The student was a Jordanian national, so FBI, P&W, intentional crash, current other events,.. .... what do these words have in common?

The student was a Jordanian national, so FBI, P&W, intentional crash, current other events,.. .... what do these words have in common?
Vowels?....I'm not very good at this game.

Given the large amount of P&W stuff out there, it's hard to crash around Hartford-Brainard without hitting close to a P&W facility. Of course, he didn't hit the facility. Also not mentioned is that P&W sits on the now closed but still quite visible (and in emergencies enticing) Rentschler field (it's not just a ballpark).

Given the large amount of P&W stuff out there, it's hard to crash around Hartford-Brainard without hitting close to a P&W facility. Of course, he didn't hit the facility. Also not mentioned is that P&W sits on the now closed but still quite visible (and in emergencies enticing) Rentschler field (it's not just a ballpark).
There's a big ole Cabellas there as well.

Back