Plan on going to college for a degree in aviation. Do the partnership programs make a difference?

seth19man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kali
I plan on going to college for a degree in aviation operation. I am stuck between going to a school that I could commute to from the state I’m a resident in to save money but has 0 airline partnership programs, or i could spend more money to go to an out of state school that has tons of airline partnership programs. The in-state school is Bowling Green State University and the out-of-state one is University of North Dakota. The reason I’m stuck is because I don’t know if paying the extra money to go to a school that has airline partnerships is worth it or not. So what do y’all think, is it worth the extra money to go to a college with airline partnerships, or do partnerships not really make any difference? I ultimately plan on working my way up to a fly for a major airline one day.

If you can speak English (loosely) and have the ratings you’ll be fine. Don’t waste your money.

My $0.02

I’d go with Bowling Green. The airline partnership is not worth much at all and the money you save in state could be better spent on beer.

I’d go with Bowling Green. The airline partnership is not worth much at all and the money you save in state could be better spent on beer.
Encouraging a young lad to start drinking. Shameful.

You’re right. I forgot to mention hookers and blow as well. But, the important point is. What makes you thing the OP is a lad?
I’m not here to play games, encouraging young people to engage in questionable activities such as drinking and ‘hookers and blow’ is remorseful.

Jim

I’m not here to play games, encouraging young people to engage in questionable activities such as drinking and ‘hookers and blow’ is remorseful.

You are wrong. I am not the least bit remorseful. Besides, there is nothing questionable about those activities. Well, maybe the blow. But nothing wrong with a little drink and a lady of the night.

Hey hey hey watch your language boys, there may be mechanics around here!

Some people suggest getting a non-aviation degree in case you get tired of the field. That seems like a good suggestion. Honestly, the regional airline recruiters currently just want 1500 hrs and a pulse.

27BFCF0C-4EBD-4E1C-B65A-D1E2C2B33F7C.jpeg

I believe the lad is actually a lass.
But I agree with the idea of going to a state school for lower tuition and using the money saved to take flight lessons and obtain ratings. Your future options will be much wider that way. Unless you take some weird feel-good major.

Hey hey hey watch your language boys, there may be mechanics around here!

Some people suggest getting a non-aviation degree in case you get tired of the field. That seems like a good suggestion. Honestly, the regional airline recruiters currently just want 1500 hrs and a pulse.

View attachment 105467
I’ve considered this, but honestly I’d be miserable going to college for anything else. A lot of the major airlines that actually pay their workers what they deserve require a college degree. Plus, I’d think a degree in related to specifically flying planes would help your chances of being hired by the better airlines, right?

You are wrong. I am not the least bit remorseful. Besides, there is nothing questionable about those activities. Well, maybe the blow. But nothing wrong with a little drink and a lady of the night.
You buying?

I’ve considered this, but honestly I’d be miserable going to college for anything else. A lot of the major airlines that actually pay their workers what they deserve require a college degree. Plus, I’d think a degree in related to specifically flying planes would help your chances of being hired by the better airlines, right?
Nope, they don't care what the degree is in as long as it's a degree, it could be in underwater basket weaving for all they care. Remember, you're one medical away from the unemployment line, so study something useful that you might enjoy in case you find you can't fly.

I believe the lad is actually a lass.
But I agree with the idea of going to a state school for lower tuition and using the money saved to take flight lessons and obtain ratings. Your future options will be much wider that way. Unless you take some weird feel-good major.
And the gender of said lass became lad overnight.

You do need to think about future proofing your income, considering aviation’s ups and downs. But a Bachelor’s degree in something that might be useful (say, finance) is going to be a lot of hard work for something you hope not to use. It’s hard to get good grades that way, and the people hiring finance majors care about grades.

If I were you, my fallback position would be an electrician’s union card. You’ll work through several boom and bust cycles; you need something you can pick up and put back down as needed.

1) HECK YES Bowling Green
2) Want to be even smarter? If you're around the Louisville area, can you even do Jefferson Jr College for a year or two? My daughter did that for 2 years, transferred effortlessly to U of L. Saved tons of money, got the basics out of the way, etc. I was blown away by the quality of Jefferson BTW. Not sure how it would fit into B Green, but look into it.
3) I thought Eastern KY also had a good aviation focused program?
4) Get a general business degree, or if you can swing it an engineering degree. You'll have a lot of fall back options should you need it.

Back