PIREP Spirit Airlines

That is a drastic over generalization IMO. Look at their business model. They are flying from the small regional airports to vacation destinations. Especially the Florida destinations are probably 80%+ families that are just looking to get to Disney and the other attractions for as cheap as possible without spending an arm and a leg (ever price a family of four or more on the mainlines?) or spending several days each way in the car. My wife's grandparents that are multi millionaires also use them to fly between their homes in Iowa and Vegas.

I don't see what you've posted as incompatible with what @KSCessnaDriver posted. Inability to spend and unwillingness to spend is a distinction without difference as far as the market is concerned.

I don't see what you've posted as incompatible with what @KSCessnaDriver posted. Inability to spend and unwillingness to spend is a distinction without difference as far as the market is concerned.

To an extent but from what I have seen those that are unwilling to spend a mainline fare will either take Allegiant or drive themselves and will never consider Greyhound.

I have to fly commercial several times a month often several time a week. There is no price savings or route option that would ever entice me to take Spirit, Allegiant or Frontier.

I once booked an associate on an Allegiant Air flight thinking I was doing him a favor since it was a non stop option vs Southwest which is out normal go to...he dang near murdered me when he arrived.

Southwest, Virgin, Jet Blue and Alaska are my faves in that order...United, American and Delta only if I absolutely have to with no other option... Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier, not a chance.

...I REALLY need to get a King Air.

When I'm jumpseating Spirit is the only airline that when they offer me a seat in back I politely decline and say "no thanks, I'm happy to ride up here".

LOL.....

I've ridden them 3 times in the past decade, and I chose the JS on 2 of them. The other was in whatever they call "business class" and it was still not as comfortable as Fifi's JS.

They're the easiest way for me to get to/from ACY......

At least Spirit has a better safety record than Allegiant. I wouldn't fly on either.

I think I remember Allegiant being in the news earlier this year regarding their shoddy maintenance practices. Maybe I'm mixing that up but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere.

I think I remember Allegiant being in the news earlier this year regarding their shoddy maintenance practices. Maybe I'm mixing that up but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere.

You're correct, and they're still in the news often.

Dont get me wrong here, I absolutely loved being a good Dad to both my girls but they have grown, married, and moved successfully into careers I never would have expected. I think my crowning achievement as a Dad is to have given them the confidence to think for themselves and act accordingly. I just wish the phone would ring more often. But that will come in time, too!

-Skip

Not gonna lie, being a dad is like my second favorite thing next to being Miss Carly's full time charter pilot.... so when it comes down to making sure her hair's brushed and she's looking her cutest, that's definitely my department.

36a9430be228b999a88bdf078da87c3d.jpg

Of course I'm the first one to throw her in the pig pens or the horse pasture dressed in a nice dress and some kind of boots my wife picked up at Nordstrom Rack... Michael Kors or something like that.

I guess those boots aren't supposed to go to the farm. I took some serious FAA enforcement action from the Mrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I come from it's sort of bad form to request the cockpit when there's a seat in the back.
Don't get me wrong... we will do anything and everything possible & legal to accommodate jumpseaters. That said, we would rather you sit in back.

I rode on Frontier from ATL to PHL. My wife sat in a seat that had been urinated on by the previous passenger. It was soaked. Her shorts were soaked. Un-f*cking-believable.

However, the cabin crew did their best to try and help her out. They really did. No issues with them whatsoever.

Frontier was nice enough to give us a $75 voucher for another flight. :rolleyes: Never again. No LCC's and definitely no ULCC's. The big three are my only choices. Delta being preferred by a long shot.

Edit: I just remembered my brother-in-law took a flight on either Frontier or Spirit and had to delay at the gate for over an hour. The reason? Someone locked themselves in the bathroom and lit up a joint.

I rode on Frontier from ATL to PHL. My wife sat in a seat that had been urinated on by the previous passenger. It was soaked. Her shorts were soaked. Un-f*cking-believable.

However, the cabin crew did their best to try and help her out. They really did. No issues with them whatsoever.

Frontier was nice enough to give us a $75 voucher for another flight. :rolleyes: Never again. No LCC's and definitely no ULCC's. The big three are my only choices. Delta being preferred by a long shot.

Edit: I just remembered my brother-in-law took a flight on either Frontier or Spirit and had to delay at the gate for over an hour. The reason? Someone locked themselves in the bathroom and lit up a joint.
Indeed, but all this can, and does happen on the big 3.

Took spirit once when I was young and broke. Providence, RI to Tampa. It was impressive.

Where I come from it's sort of bad form to request the cockpit when there's a seat in the back.
Don't get me wrong... we will do anything and everything possible & legal to accommodate jumpseaters. That said, we would rather you sit in back.

I always give the jumpseater the option....... I don't care either way.

Last edited:
Well on my way to million miler status on Delta, I have never encountered a physical fight for access to overhead space. On Spirit we had scuffles both ways.

I always the jumpseater the option....... I don't care either way.
Some airplanes the jumpseat is a better option.
The Airbus is good... the 737 sucks. Some 737's have a second jump... I'd rather sit in the middle of two fat ladies who haven't bathed in three months.

Landed in DFW on SWA one day. It was one of those flights where we were being bounced around a lot, so the seat belt sign stayed on the whole flight and the "stay seated" announcements were steady. We got off the plane and an older couple was taking to the gate agent, asking where the nearest clothing shop was. Their approx 10yo grandson couldn't hold it anymore and needed dry clothes. I'm guessing the seat cushion needed airing out, too.

Landed in DFW on SWA one day. It was one of those flights where we were being bounced around a lot, so the seat belt sign stayed on the whole flight and the "stay seated" announcements were steady. We got off the plane and an older couple was taking to the gate agent, asking where the nearest clothing shop was. Their approx 10yo grandson couldn't hold it anymore and needed dry clothes. I'm guessing the seat cushion needed airing out, too.
Still irrelevant comparing to different airlines. This would be the same regardless of carriers.

The Airbus is good... the 737 sucks. Some 737's have a second jump... I'd rather sit in the middle of two fat ladies who haven't bathed in three months.

LOL.. Yeah, I've spent more than my fair share of time in both 737 jump seats..... I don't mind the main one, but the second one sucks, even for a short hop. I always move my seat up as far as I can and still be able to manipulate the controls when I have someone in that seat.

757 JS was strange, at least on Delta. You sit up high and behind the Captain. Always felt weird sitting there thinking the Capt was thinking I was watching him all the time. They were always pleasant though. Man there's a lot of room up there!

My airline's are probably the worse, CRJs. The ATR JS wasn't bad when they had them.

757 JS was strange, at least on Delta. You sit up high and behind the Captain. Always felt weird sitting there thinking the Capt was thinking I was watching him all the time. They were always pleasant though. Man there's a lot of room up there!

My airline's are probably the worse, CRJs. The ATR JS wasn't bad when they had them.

I used to ride on AA's MD-11s a lot, and you could almost get horizontal across the 2 jumpseats in that cockpit. It was huge....

I'll always take a seat in the back if it's available. If there's enough time I'll take off the monkey suit too.

I'll always take a seat in the back if it's available. If there's enough time I'll take off the monkey suit too.

Yeah I usually would just put a civilian shirt on so I wouldn't get the "are you a pilot" question. :D

When I'm jumpseating Spirit is the only airline that when they offer me a seat in back I politely decline and say "no thanks, I'm happy to ride up here".

I've jumped on Spirit a few times. Usually been given a Big Seat if it's available. Otherwise, you're right. 'Bus jumpseats aren't too bad.

Ah yes. The "High Chair". I rode that from SEA to SAN once. Wished I was in a small center seat on Spirit. Short hops, I can handle it. I don't really like asking the Captain for it though, since I know he/she has to run their seat up quite a a bit and their stuff now needs to be moved.

If you sit in "first class" Spirit, is that tolerable, or still, no?

Is it the comfort of the seats?

thanks

I hear that on Spirit, the stew begins the safety briefing with "Attention Walmart shoppers..."

That might explain a few things.

Always.....

When I commuted on an airplane, if I had time, I would always change into civvies..... At the very least, I'd ditch the epaulets and tie........

If you sit in "first class" Spirit, is that tolerable, or still, no?

Is it the comfort of the seats?

thanks
If I had to guess, Spirit first class is the same as economy on Delta. In other words it's still the poor mans seat. :rolleyes1:

Always.....

When I commuted on an airplane, if I had time, I would always change into civvies..... At the very least, I'd ditch the epaulets and tie........
Yea it's great when the last leg of the trip is a DH back home. Off comes the uniform!

Must have been a really bad day to land at DFW on Southwest...

Back