PIREP: Carl's Jr. Broiled Atlantic Codfish Sandich and Philly Cheesteak Burger

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
CHARBROILED ATLANTIC CODFISH SANDWICH

Okay, I don't succumb to advertising and I could care less if some dizzy blonde chick with big tits makes a mess eating but I think that was promoting a burger anyway. Well Carl's Jr (here on the West Coast) and Hardee's (East Coast version of the same thing) are offering a "Charbroiled Atlantic Codfish Sandwich." I suppose Codfish is actually two words but they do purportedly use Codfish in their Cod Fish sandwich.

"Why go to a chain fast food restaurant to get seafood?" Simple. I've ran out of local options to try and I was seeking an economical alternative to a real seafood place. Maybe they have something better than the typical ground and formed fishmeal patties that they pawn off as fish sandwiches. Plus, Carl's will do lettuce wrap now for any hamburger or sandwich.

First, research. Arrive armed. Think of an eating strategy. Do I do one sandwich and a side salad? Two sandwiches? More than that? A quick Internet search revealed that said sandwiches were 420 calories (but with bun.) My normal meal there is a lettuce wrapped Six Dollar Burger (half pound patty) which is approximately twice the calorie count, also with bun. These things sell at $3.99 a pop. So, I got two of them, plus a side salad.

THE ARRIVAL

The tray arrived with the standard side salad and ranch dressing, croutons (WTF? I ordered a f**king salad and lettuce wrapped burgers, see a pattern here Sergio?) and two paper wrapped sandwiches. Suspecting the potential for an order foul up that could require immediate attention, I felt one of the sandwiches through the paper to confirm it was indeed lettuce wrapped. The cool, crisp feel of iceberg was indeed present.

THE EXPERIENCE

Different restaurants can have different levels of quality control and freshness. This one appeared to be on the upper end of the scale. The mixed green salad was fresh with no wilted leaves, and no green tomatoes. That set things off on a positive note. I don't multitask well at all so I eat one thing, finish it, and move on to the next. I normally go salad, then mix veggies or sides if present, then the main course.

I was tense with anticipation. I mentally reviewed every potential way this could go wrong. The heft of the sandwich was agonizingly, but not unexpectedly, light. Does Carl's have some Italian guy with a curly mustache in the back fileting freshly caught codfish and slicing them in to small sandwich steaks with the precision of a sushi chef? Probably not. More likely a gang of migrant workers received discounted cod by the lot which weren't quite restaurant grade, separated the skin and bones, and ran them through a slicing and processing machine which coated them with a preservative, non-stick formula with light seasoning, followed by a flash freeze and packaging at Meat Processing Central. Were these things shipped from the Atlantic? Who knows, likely the Atlantic Cod species were farmed in Southeast Asia and quite possibly preprocessed there as well. I mean they have to keep costs down. Seafood is expensive.

The taste was... sort of bland. The tarter flavored sauce gave it a little bit of flavor. The texture was not quite as firm as it should be. The coloration of the fish patty was brown, as if the color additive in the nonstick coating was intended to invoke a semblance of barbeque. It was... okay. A little messy. Fell apart. A meager 420 calories gets eaten quickly. On to the next one.

THE ANALYSIS

It was a calculated, measured risk and I'm okay with that. Was it really any better than the standard processed square battered and fried fish patty at McD's and Burger King? Not really. I expected mild disappointment and I was slightly more disappointed than that, but not majorly so. Conclusion? Stick with a damn burger, you know better than to order the seafood in a steakhouse anyway.

At least I don't feel stuffed, if there is a way to cast a positive light on all of this.

PHILLY CHEESESTEAK BURGER

Well anyway that was today's excitement. I just had to relay the excitement of a few days ago, on the way from Fresno back to the Bay. Well I stopped in Chowchilla for lunch (yes, Chowchilla is on the 99 and the 5 would have been a more logical choice but I hate driving the 5 plus I took 5 to get there and I wanted to take another route on the return so I didn't get whacked). I'm not a real fancy eater, even on the company's ticket so if I'm by myself I tend to go to fast food. Enter Carl's Jr. As previously reported, my standard meal at Carl's would be a lettuce wrapped Six Dollar Burger and a salad. Well I decided to take a walk on the wild side and try their Philly Cheesesteak Six Dollar burger, purported to be topped with sliced steak and Swiss.

THE ARRIVAL

"Oh, yes, we can do leddes wrap, sure." I popped open the small paper box that contained the burger just to confirm. Dammit, happens all the time. "Miha, theese burger was supposed to be leddes wrap no?"

"So sorry, I will have them leddes wrap it yes." Well fine, I'll just enjoy my salad. Round #2 comes back. Well, okay, it looks like the standard Six Dollar Burger patty, but with some sort of oily brown goo on the top. No discernible sliced meat. No visible cheese. Oily brown goo which looks like it might be some sort of sauce with a little bit of over caramelized onion.

In Miha's defense, this is the South San Joaquin Valley. Farm country. Nobody orders freakin' lettuce wrapped burgers even though it's a menu item. She probably had to review the policy and training manual to learn what that menu option actually meant.

THE EXPERIENCE

It tasted, like a beef patty cut with filler (yes, a Six Dollar Burger patty is in fact cut and not 100% beef) with oily brown goo that sort of resembled the taste of the stuff you scrape off the griddle after you've fried a few burgers on it. No actual texture to the "sliced steak" ostensibly topping my burger. Very disappointing.

THE ANALYSIS

I've had the Bacon Guacamole Six Dollar Burger before and found it to be enjoyable. I did not find this thing to be enjoyable. So get that instead. Or better yet get double standard patty version of whatever burger you want, as those patties are in fact 100% beef and better tasting.

Same thing as always, chillin' with the homies, a couple drive bys, chugging a 40 ounce Malt Liquor in the park, you know, the standard thing.

Same thing as always, chillin' with the homies, a couple drive bys, chugging a 40 ounce Malt Liquor in the park, you know, the standard thing.

I can dig it....
I been spendin' a little time chillin' wid the other folks in Concord and Pittsburg this year....
Did go see the Hornet though..
Nize... very nize.

Not too many Carl's in our hood. Maybe a few rebadged Hardee's.

Actually we do have some beer in the fridge left over from the last Friday barbeque. I might just snag the last two Miller Lites and go for it.

I mean it's close to quitting time right? 4:45 EDT?

Actually we do have some beer in the fridge left over from the last Friday barbeque. I might just snag the last two Miller Lites and go for it.

I mean it's close to quitting time right? 4:45 EDT?

If we come in @ 0930, we can leave about 1830, because a lot of our customers are West Coast.....

On the other hand, if we come in a 0730 we can leave about 1830 too.

I'm thinking Dos Equis, Cheese dip and the burrito at our favorite Mexican restaurant este noche.

I happen to be in Cedar Rapids this week and visited a Hardee's yesterday. I can confirm that these two things are indeed on the menu (and I was thinking it was a Hardee's thing).

I happen to be in Cedar Rapids this week and visited a Hardee's yesterday. I can confirm that these two things are indeed on the menu (and I was thinking it was a Hardee's thing).

I think the only functional difference is their "thick burger" is 1/3 lb as opposed to Carl's 1/2 lb. The rest of the menu is pretty much identical.

"the 99"? "the 5"? You aren't from around here, are you. Newsies in southern California might say that. The Brits might say that. But, really? :D

Nice write-ups on the food. Thanks.

I think the only functional difference is their "thick burger" is 1/3 lb as opposed to Carl's 1/2 lb. The rest of the menu is pretty much identical.

There are lots of things missing on the Hardee's menu. No turkey burgers for one.

"the 99"? "the 5"? You aren't from around here, are you. Newsies in southern California might say that. The Brits might say that. But, really? :D

Nice write-ups on the food. Thanks.

You're welcome. Obviously you figured out my lineage.

There are lots of things missing on the Hardee's menu. No turkey burgers for one.

Oh yeah, true. Good point. I haven't tried a turkey burger, are they any good? Murder Burger in Davis does a decent Ostrich burger.

You're welcome. Obviously you figured out my lineage.

Oh yeah, true. Good point. I haven't tried a turkey burger, are they any good? Murder Burger in Davis does a decent Ostrich burger.

No, Carl's Jr. Turkey burgers completely lack any flavor. The guacamole helps a little. Yes, I like the Murder Burger Ostrich Burger, too, but I am not in Davis too often. There used to be one in Folsom and one near B street or somewhere around there. Too bad they closed them.

Lettuce wrapped burger? Son, we don't take kindly to communism 'round these parts.

I might remind you that the former Soviet diet was heavy in to breads and potatoes.

No, Carl's Jr. Turkey burgers completely lack any flavor. The guacamole helps a little. Yes, I like the Murder Burger Ostrich Burger, too, but I am not in Davis too often. There used to be one in Folsom and one near B street or somewhere around there. Too bad they closed them.

The one in Davis is closed too?

Oh, and side note. I was discussing this very issue with my Korean at the gym this morning, and we got in to a discussion on food:

"You really need to try some authentic Korean dishes, like Bibimbap."

"Yeah, but I try to avoid rice dishes for the rice, you know."

"That's right. You don't eat rice. Rice is a staple for us you know."

"Yes. We have a staple too."

"Potatoes, right?"

"No, bacon. Our bacon is your rice."

Long pause.

"You know, I think I now understand everything I couldn't before about Western culture."

I might remind you that the former Soviet diet was heavy in to breads and potatoes.

Oh, and side note. I was discussing this very issue with my Korean at the gym this morning, and we got in to a discussion on food:

"Potatoes, right?"

Long pause.

"You know, I think I now understand everything I couldn't before about Western culture."

I think Davis is still open, but it has been a couple of years since I have been there. A side of fries with that bacon is still pretty good.

Sounds like Davis has changed since we moved away.

In 1961. :D

Yeah the walls came down in 1991. I hear travel through the city is more free these days.

Walls? Keep in mind that when we lived there our back fence on Miller Drive was the edge of town. Open fields behind us. I went to Kindergarten in Central Davis Elementary, long gone. I think the year I started 1st grade at North Davis was the first year it was open. No walls in those days. :D

"Potatoes, right?"

Long pause.

Fallon is stealing your material -

– Jimmy Fallon “This is our fourth of five nights broadcasting from Austin, Texas, during the South by Southwest festival. I had to get a bigger shirt because my shirts don’t fit anymore. In Texas, pork is considered a condiment.”

Walls? Keep in mind that when we lived there our back fence on Miller Drive was the edge of town. Open fields behind us. I went to Kindergarten in Central Davis Elementary, long gone. I think the year I started 1st grade at North Davis was the first year it was open. No walls in those days. :D

Sort of an inside joke - people tend to refer to Davis as "The People's Republic of Davis" for its green political bent in recent years.

Fallon is stealing your material -

I suspected as much.

No Carl's Jr. for me. Nor In-And-Out (their burgers are okay, but I don't like their fries - too skinny and they get cold too quickly).

If I'm going to a fast-food sandwich place, it's going to be either Chick-fil-A or Five Guys.

I used to visit McDonald's on occasion because I LOVE their french fries. They're so good I was willing to choke down an Angus burger with them. Not really a good burger, but was acceptable enough to eat with their fries. But ever since McD's killed off the Angus burgers, I haven't been back. There's just nothing else on their menu I can stomach. I tried their fried chicken sandwich once, but it was such a sad alternative to Chick-fil-A's sandwich, I think I only ate half of it before throwing it away (ate all the fries, though).

Burger King used to be my favorite back when I could still eat bread. Double Whoppers with cheese are the bomb. I like Carl's more because they will offer lettuce wrap as an option on their burgers. And McD's double quarter pounders with cheese are a great drunk munchie feed. Wendy's burgers have gone way downhill since I was a kid, and Jack in the Box has never excited me.

Inn & Out does lettuce wrap too and they're okay, but my very favorite is Habit Burger.

Hardee's around here have turkey burgers. Not all of them, though. The $6 burgers were unreal when they first came out. Now they're tasting more like the old Hardee's burgers. Last one I bought cost $5.97. So it actually is a $6 burger.

Hate is a strong word but let's just say I don't like turkey burgers. If I must have turkey other than carved off the bird, then sliced deli turkey is how I'll roll.

I think the base model $6 burger is still $3.95 here. But they went downhill starting about a year ago when they started adding fillers to the meat.

Oh and haha as you may have noticed, they are transitioning the designator to "thickburger".

Last edited:
Burger King used to be my favorite back when I could still eat bread. Double Whoppers with cheese are the bomb. I like Carl's more because they will offer lettuce wrap as an option on their burgers. And McD's double quarter pounders with cheese are a great drunk munchie feed. Wendy's burgers have gone way downhill since I was a kid, and Jack in the Box has never excited me.

Inn & Out does lettuce wrap too and they're okay, but my very favorite is Habit Burger.

People at work keep telling me to try a Habit Burger. I haven't been to one yet, but I need to go see what all the fuss is about.

People at work keep telling me to try a Habit Burger. I haven't been to one yet, but I need to go see what all the fuss is about.

We have a few of those. I wasn't that impressed. I only have about one burger a month now and I wouldn't waste it on that place.

Well It's all about personal tastes. People that like Habit Burger really love it. I happen to like it more than the rest of the chain burger joints. Plus they have other things on their menu that are pretty good - decent salads.

One thing they don't do well is tri tip. They cook small strips of it on the spot, vs cooking it whole and slicing it. But after riding 40 miles with 20 still to go, a couple of these bad boys really hits the spot.

Last edited:
CHARBROILED ATLANTIC CODFISH SANDWICH

Okay, I don't succumb to advertising and I could care less if some dizzy blonde chick with big tits makes a mess eating but I think that was promoting a burger anyway. Well Carl's Jr (here on the West Coast) and Hardee's (East Coast version of the same thing) are offering a "Charbroiled Atlantic Codfish Sandwich." I suppose Codfish is actually two words but they do purportedly use Codfish in their Cod Fish sandwich.

"Why go to a chain fast food restaurant to get seafood?" Simple. I've ran out of local options to try and I was seeking an economical alternative to a real seafood place. Maybe they have something better than the typical ground and formed fishmeal patties that they pawn off as fish sandwiches. Plus, Carl's will do lettuce wrap now for any hamburger or sandwich.

First, research. Arrive armed. Think of an eating strategy. Do I do one sandwich and a side salad? Two sandwiches? More than that? A quick Internet search revealed that said sandwiches were 420 calories (but with bun.) My normal meal there is a lettuce wrapped Six Dollar Burger (half pound patty) which is approximately twice the calorie count, also with bun. These things sell at $3.99 a pop. So, I got two of them, plus a side salad.

THE ARRIVAL

The tray arrived with the standard side salad and ranch dressing, croutons (WTF? I ordered a f**king salad and lettuce wrapped burgers, see a pattern here Sergio?) and two paper wrapped sandwiches. Suspecting the potential for an order foul up that could require immediate attention, I felt one of the sandwiches through the paper to confirm it was indeed lettuce wrapped. The cool, crisp feel of iceberg was indeed present.

THE EXPERIENCE

Different restaurants can have different levels of quality control and freshness. This one appeared to be on the upper end of the scale. The mixed green salad was fresh with no wilted leaves, and no green tomatoes. That set things off on a positive note. I don't multitask well at all so I eat one thing, finish it, and move on to the next. I normally go salad, then mix veggies or sides if present, then the main course.

I was tense with anticipation. I mentally reviewed every potential way this could go wrong. The heft of the sandwich was agonizingly, but not unexpectedly, light. Does Carl's have some Italian guy with a curly mustache in the back fileting freshly caught codfish and slicing them in to small sandwich steaks with the precision of a sushi chef? Probably not. More likely a gang of migrant workers received discounted cod by the lot which weren't quite restaurant grade, separated the skin and bones, and ran them through a slicing and processing machine which coated them with a preservative, non-stick formula with light seasoning, followed by a flash freeze and packaging at Meat Processing Central. Were these things shipped from the Atlantic? Who knows, likely the Atlantic Cod species were farmed in Southeast Asia and quite possibly preprocessed there as well. I mean they have to keep costs down. Seafood is expensive.

The taste was... sort of bland. The tarter flavored sauce gave it a little bit of flavor. The texture was not quite as firm as it should be. The coloration of the fish patty was brown, as if the color additive in the nonstick coating was intended to invoke a semblance of barbeque. It was... okay. A little messy. Fell apart. A meager 420 calories gets eaten quickly. On to the next one.

THE ANALYSIS

It was a calculated, measured risk and I'm okay with that. Was it really any better than the standard processed square battered and fried fish patty at McD's and Burger King? Not really. I expected mild disappointment and I was slightly more disappointed than that, but not majorly so. Conclusion? Stick with a damn burger, you know better than to order the seafood in a steakhouse anyway.

At least I don't feel stuffed, if there is a way to cast a positive light on all of this.

PHILLY CHEESESTEAK BURGER

Well anyway that was today's excitement. I just had to relay the excitement of a few days ago, on the way from Fresno back to the Bay. Well I stopped in Chowchilla for lunch (yes, Chowchilla is on the 99 and the 5 would have been a more logical choice but I hate driving the 5 plus I took 5 to get there and I wanted to take another route on the return so I didn't get whacked). I'm not a real fancy eater, even on the company's ticket so if I'm by myself I tend to go to fast food. Enter Carl's Jr. As previously reported, my standard meal at Carl's would be a lettuce wrapped Six Dollar Burger and a salad. Well I decided to take a walk on the wild side and try their Philly Cheesesteak Six Dollar burger, purported to be topped with sliced steak and Swiss.

THE ARRIVAL

"Oh, yes, we can do leddes wrap, sure." I popped open the small paper box that contained the burger just to confirm. Dammit, happens all the time. "Miha, theese burger was supposed to be leddes wrap no?"

"So sorry, I will have them leddes wrap it yes." Well fine, I'll just enjoy my salad. Round #2 comes back. Well, okay, it looks like the standard Six Dollar Burger patty, but with some sort of oily brown goo on the top. No discernible sliced meat. No visible cheese. Oily brown goo which looks like it might be some sort of sauce with a little bit of over caramelized onion.

In Miha's defense, this is the South San Joaquin Valley. Farm country. Nobody orders freakin' lettuce wrapped burgers even though it's a menu item. She probably had to review the policy and training manual to learn what that menu option actually meant.

THE EXPERIENCE

It tasted, like a beef patty cut with filler (yes, a Six Dollar Burger patty is in fact cut and not 100% beef) with oily brown goo that sort of resembled the taste of the stuff you scrape off the griddle after you've fried a few burgers on it. No actual texture to the "sliced steak" ostensibly topping my burger. Very disappointing.

THE ANALYSIS

I've had the Bacon Guacamole Six Dollar Burger before and found it to be enjoyable. I did not find this thing to be enjoyable. So get that instead. Or better yet get double standard patty version of whatever burger you want, as those patties are in fact 100% beef and better tasting.

Okay, now this is an update. There is a new fish sandwich out there. It is called the Carl's Jr. Beer Battered Fish Sandwich.

carls-jr-hardees-redhook-beer-battered-sandwich.jpg

That is what it supposedly looks like.

carlsjr-fish-2017jr.jpg

This is what it actually looks like. This is not my photo but it is an accurate representation of what a lettuce wrapped version of the above looks like.

It is the same exact thing as the original fish sandwich previously reviewed, except for a light breading. It is still $3.99. It's worth is approximately $.99. I got two of them. I needed four of them.

What drove me to this lunacy to repeat the same mistake?

Carl's changed their menu. You see, I eat differently at Carl's when it's lunch dinner. Dinner is normally two double patty or half-pound class burgers. Lettuce wrapped of course. That is too much for lunch so I get one. But one isn't quite enough so I get a side salad to go with it.

But they don't make side salads anymore.

Yes, they have a salad that they call a side salad, but it isn't. It's somewhere between an entree size salad and a side salad, but it has no meat. An entree salad is the same salad, but with meat. It's too small for an entree and to big for a side, and it costs nearly as much as a full salad so why get the thing.

Another option is to get two single patty burgers or a couple 1/3 lb 'Thickburgers' but the economics don't work out, unless they have one of those 2 for $6 deals going on. Fast forward - the fish sandwich. Nice compromise. In theory.

Frankly, I should have just gone to the supermarket and grabbed a pack of those Morton's frozen fish patties and nuked it in the microwave. Or the toaster oven, but if I cooked fish in the toaster oven there would be a revolt. It would have been cheaper, and better, and when I say better I say this with the full realization that frozen fish patties and fish sticks royally suck.

It didn't taste like fish. It tasted like vegetable based cooking oil with a bit of breading. The previous grilled version tasted like vegetable based cooking oil but without the bit of breading.

I should have done the burger.

Okay, now this is an update. There is a new fish sandwich out there. It is called the Carl's Jr. Beer Battered Fish Sandwich.

carls-jr-hardees-redhook-beer-battered-sandwich.jpg

That is what it supposedly looks like.

carlsjr-fish-2017jr.jpg

This is what it actually looks like. This is not my photo but it is an accurate representation of what a lettuce wrapped version of the above looks like.

It is the same exact thing as the original fish sandwich previously reviewed, except for a light breading. It is still $3.99. It's worth is approximately $.99. I got two of them. I needed four of them.

What drove me to this lunacy to repeat the same mistake?

Carl's changed their menu. You see, I eat differently at Carl's when it's lunch dinner. Dinner is normally two double patty or half-pound class burgers. Lettuce wrapped of course. That is too much for lunch so I get one. But one isn't quite enough so I get a side salad to go with it.

But they don't make side salads anymore.

Yes, they have a salad that they call a side salad, but it isn't. It's somewhere between an entree size salad and a side salad, but it has no meat. An entree salad is the same salad, but with meat. It's too small for an entree and to big for a side, and it costs nearly as much as a full salad so why get the thing.

Another option is to get two single patty burgers or a couple 1/3 lb 'Thickburgers' but the economics don't work out, unless they have one of those 2 for $6 deals going on. Fast forward - the fish sandwich. Nice compromise. In theory.

Frankly, I should have just gone to the supermarket and grabbed a pack of those Morton's frozen fish patties and nuked it in the microwave. Or the toaster oven, but if I cooked fish in the toaster oven there would be a revolt. It would have been cheaper, and better, and when I say better I say this with the full realization that frozen fish patties and fish sticks royally suck.

It didn't taste like fish. It tasted like vegetable based cooking oil with a bit of breading. The previous grilled version tasted like vegetable based cooking oil but without the bit of breading.

Ya know, if you can put these to music you might have a shot at success in the country market. Ya might have a better shot if you were blonde and had big tits.

Ya know, if you can put these to music you might have a shot at success in the country market. Ya might have a better shot if you were blonde and had big tits.

You know, with a slow, twangy guitar riff, that could actually work.

Got kinda excited when I saw, "Beer Battered Fish Sandwich"... but all I see in that pic is a sad, limp, beer-less, filet o'wtf with a small dab of some kind of suspicious mystery "sauce" squirted on it.

If Carl served me that, I'd rip him a new one.

THE ARRIVAL

That's on you. Restaurant staff are not in charge of your diet nor are they your life-coach to ensure you are eating healthy. Not too hard for the customer to pick the croutons off that they did not say to leave off. No mind readers in this or any other industry.

Mmmm...New York boxfish. :cool:

...and Murder Burger in Davis has been Redrum Burger for a few years now but it's still there.

Nauga,
with miles to go before he eats

I just re-read #1 (or maybe I read it for the first time and I don't remember). What does Carl's use as a filler for their burger patties?

Re: the fish - That looks like a lot of breading for a guy that doesn't eat bread.

I prefer Carl Jr tv commercials and Five Guys burgers.

Mmmm...New York boxfish. :cool:

...and Murder Burger in Davis has been Redrum Burger for a few years now but it's still there.

Nauga,
with miles to go before he eats

I never really cared for Murder Burger. They have an ostrich burger which is different, but aside from that they are pretty much like any other burger joint that gives you plain, large side frozen patties on big buns, e.g. Jaspers and the like. Okay they are a little bit better than that.

I just re-read #1 (or maybe I read it for the first time and I don't remember). What does Carl's use as a filler for their burger patties?

Re: the fish - That looks like a lot of breading for a guy that doesn't eat bread.

They don't use any for their standard patties but I THINK (I'm not sure) that they use soy filler in their 1/2 lb thickburger patties. The ingredients list for it states beef and spice blend. I think their spice blend is more soy filler than spice. Sometimes it's noticeable, other times it's not.

Re: the breading - it's actually not that much, compared to most breaded fish patties. It just happens to be small, greasy and not very good tasting.

I prefer Carl Jr tv commercials and Five Guys burgers.

They do have some good commercials. And some bad ones too. People making a big mess in their face while eating is not appetizing to me.

Don't get me started on Five Guys. You pay sit down restaurant price for an AM PM hot serving section quality burger. I could live with Five Guys' burgers if they were a third of the cost. And I mean live with, I found nothing outstanding about the taste, and mine were quite greasy.

At the risk of turning this in to another burger thread....

Wait.

It is a burger thread. Okay, my favorite chain burgers, in order:

1. Habit Burger - I believe these are only in California. They have great burgers, and they do a better lettuce wrap job than anyone else. They get it. Plus they have salads and sandwiches, and their onion rings are the best of any fast food. I rarely eat onion rings because of the breading, but I will share an order of onion rings from Habit on occasion. The lack of drive throughs is refreshing.

2. Inn N Out - All I can eat here is the burgers, but two double doubles, 'protein style' (lettuce wrap) is perfect for lunch as they are rather small burger patties, but they aren't overpriced either.

3. Carl's/Hardees - Yes I blasted them for their fish sandwiches, but I have a love/hate relationship with them. I listed them as #3 but really they share a #2 slot. They have more choices than Inn N Out but less consistent quality. I really like the Guacamole Bacon thickburger and the Double Western Bacon burger, and often get one of each for dinner. And they have onion rings. So-so onion rings.

4. Burger King - It's one of those 'if I plan on actually eating the bun' places, and for years my favorite burger was the Whopper. I really like Whoppers for taste but they are now kind of overpriced plus they don't do lettuce wrap. I will, on occasion, order a triple Whopper, chuck the buns and go at it with a knife and fork. Their onion rings are mediocre. Now, recently, they have been making burgers for breakfast if you want. If I plan on doing a marathon bike ride (60+ miles) a Double Whopper with Cheese, with the buns, is a solid choice.

5. McDonalds - There is a McD's near the house, and I will have a couple Sausage and Egg McMuffs for breakfast if I'm going on an aforementioned long bike ride. Otherwise, I don't eat breakfast. I've been known to scarf down a couple double quarter pounders with cheese with the drunk munchies.

6. Jack in the Box - This is, again, a drunk munchie venue. We are starting to get in to the real of the places where I do not eat sober. Their burgers are tasty but somewhat greasy for me. I've probably eaten there three times in the last ten years.

7. Wendy's - This is pretty much on par with Jack in the Box although they do have a couple salads I will eat. When I was a kid I liked Wendy's a lot, but the quality of their burgers has gone down since then.

8. Five Guys - I'd go back if they lowered their prices. By 70%. And even then I wouldn't go out of the way.

9. Smashburger - Now we are in the territory of won't go back. Yeah, I don't like the greasy fried smashed concept to begin with, the place was dirty, the silverware was dirty, the side salad was a couple scraps of lettuce, and... move on.

10. Jasper's - Dry, tasteless, plain, greasy fries... difficult to choke down unless you collect enough tear packets of mayo to give it some moisture. No thanks.

If you are concerned about your health enough to want your sandwiches lettuce wrapped,
why do you eat so much fast-food?

Back