Pilots Should Now Call ATC Directly for IFR Clearances from Non-Towered Airports

N157DA

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
N157DA
I was just reviewing for an IPC and I came across a flyingmag article with the same subject as the title.

I can't post a link since i'm new, but I figured I would ask, how do y'all get your clearances from non-towered airports.

In some places you can reach clearance delivery from radio on ground. Other places you call by phone. If I do it by phone I Bluetooth that through my headsets while plane is running. They give me my clearance with a void time and off I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time? I’ve always called ATC directly if I can’t reach someone on the radio. Never thought to call flight service.

I've never done it any other way, either.

I think the bigger change was that the A/FD lists specific facility numbers now, whereas when I started flying IFR just 3 years ago I would call a central number for clearance delivery.

As far as how I get my clearances, though, I am almost always able to depart VFR and pick my clearance up in the air.

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time? I’ve always called ATC directly if I can’t reach someone on the radio. Never thought to call flight service.

I've never done it any other way, either.

It used to be that there was a single number you would call that was dedicated for clearance delivery anywhere in the country. You would give them your tail number, departure point and destination, and how long you need before you can be off the ground. They would put you on hold, call the appropriate controller, copy the clearance with a void time, then relay it to you.

I only had to do it a couple times before they switched to the new method. My instructor taught me to call, then when he put me on hold I could start up and start taxiing out. That way I could be ready to go once I got my clearance.

Point of Order: The article is nearly 1½ years old.

Last edited:
It used to be that there was a single number you would call that was dedicated for clearance delivery anywhere in the country.

Heh... I still have that number stored in my phone... but to be fair, my phone is nearly nine years old. :D

Go to the AFD most FBOs will also have the freq posted in the flight planning area.

There used to be a toll-free national number, but in the last few years, the AFD (um, chart supplement, i.e. the virtual "green book"?) now lists the appropriate ATC facility for clearances and closing IFR flight plans. For example, I call Syracuse Approach for my IFR clearance and void time at our rural airport, and also call them once on the ground after arrival if unable to cancel in the air.

That is a new change for me. One of my favorite IFR training airports had no communications at all and to get a clearance, you could either drive into town to use a pay phone (remember those?) or get lucky and get through on the limited cell coverage...

We would call FSS and they would issue an "ATC Clears..." void clearance and we would hustle out to the aircraft to get in the air on time...

Now, it is clearly identified to Call Houston Center in the A/F... I mean Chart Supplement:

81R.png

I used it and loved it. Just one number on speed dial! Still have it in my phone: 1-888-766-8267

I wonder who picks up now? Jenny?
I haven't tried, but I've heard someone answers and gives you the number you could have looked up.

I look to an approach plate now, then the AF/D. Most of the frequencies and phone numbers connect you directly to the controller you will be talking to after you take off. Generally now I call after my run up is done and tell them I'll be ready to go in 2minutes. Works well, easier than calling flight service.

I look to an approach plate now, then the AF/D. Most of the frequencies and phone numbers connect you directly to the controller you will be talking to after you take off. Generally now I call after my run up is done and tell them I'll be ready to go in 2minutes. Works well, easier than calling flight service.
Call FSS. FSS calls ATC. FSS gives you the clearance. You don't understand or don't like part of it and suggest a change. FSS calls ATC back....
or
Call ATC.

Before they started publishing them i got into the habit of asking the last controller I spoke to before landing at a new destination if there was a good number to call them for a clearance when I left.

BTW, It's not always the controller you'll speak with in the air. A busy TRACON or Center may have a dedicated position for it.

Either is correct. That information is in a section of the Chart Supplement called the Airport/Facility Directory.

This really seems to be confusing for some folks. The A/FD did not go away. It still exists within the more comprehensive Chart Supplement.

Either is correct. That information is in a section of the Chart Supplement called the Airport/Facility Directory.

Except if the airport is not listed in the AFD. The data is included in the FAA NASR database, which can be searched online at https://enasr.faa.gov/eNASR/nasr/ . Select the current cycle>Select Airport as the Resource> enter the airport ID > click on Find> click on the airport ID link> find the CD note in the General Remarks.

Of course if you have ForeFlight on your iPhone, tap on Airports>enter the airport ID in the search bar> tap go> tap info> tap on the phone number shown in clearance delivery> tap call.

FSS will no longer relay clearances via the phone, not their job. It is not a service offered in the Leidos contract. They will relay clearances via radio. So if your airport has an RCO, it uses radio, whereas a GCO uses the phone. So you should be able to get a clearance relay via the RCO, but not so much via the GCO.

Except if the airport is not listed in the AFD. The data is included in the FAA NASR database, which can be searched online at https://enasr.faa.gov/eNASR/nasr/ . Select the current cycle>Select Airport as the Resource> enter the airport ID > click on Find> click on the airport ID link> find the CD note in the General Remarks.

Of course if you have ForeFlight on your iPhone, tap on Airports>enter the airport ID in the search bar> tap go> tap info> tap on the phone number shown in clearance delivery> tap call.
Or just look up a nearby airport which is listed.

That is a new change for me. One of my favorite IFR training airports had no communications at all and to get a clearance, you could either drive into town to use a pay phone (remember those?) or get lucky and get through on the limited cell coverage...

We would call FSS and they would issue an "ATC Clears..." void clearance and we would hustle out to the aircraft to get in the air on time...

Now, it is clearly identified to Call Houston Center in the A/F... I mean Chart Supplement:

View attachment 91905
Calling on a pay phone from town!!! That’s great. What kind of void time would you get for that??

Back