Pilot's Handbook version

FreelancerMAX

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FreelancerMAX
Does the year of the FAA's "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" matter?

I see on the FAA's website I can download this for free as a PDF. I do better studying from a physical book than an eBook so I'm looking to purchase the physical. The version on Amazon is from 2021 at $75. There's a version on mypilotstore for $22 and also $35 which comes with the "Airplane Flying Handbook". All of the reviews I'm seeing on mypilotstore are from previous to 2021 so I assume this isn't the latest version from the FAA. Does that matter? I think most recent version prior to 2021 was 2016. Am I going to loose much buying a 5 year old book and save $40?

Thanks in advance.

I'd get the latest version and check the FAA website for revision notices from time to time. The older version had a number of errors which ought to have been corrected in the latest printing. The Airplane Flying Handbook is a must read too, so get it.

FAA handbooks like the PHAK and AFH (not like the AIM or FAR) are e not updated on anything close to a regular schedule. You you need to look at the revision number for currency. So, for example, the most recent version of the PHAK, on the FAA website, is FAA-H-8083-25B where H-8083-25 is the publication code and the "B" the revision number. If what you are looking at online has the same information, it is the same edition.
upload_2021-9-4_9-24-51.png

For an additional cross-check, loo inside. This version (again from the FAA website) was published in 2016.
upload_2021-9-4_9-26-28.png
The other thing to watch out for is also on the FAA site. Sometimes these volumes get a change, but in that case, the FAA site will identify it with something like "Change 1"

The version on Amazon is from 2021 at $75. There's a version on mypilotstore for $22 and also $35 which comes with the "Airplane Flying Handbook".
How much would it cost to go to a shop with a USB thumb drive and have it printed&bound?

I see on the FAA's website I can download this for free as a PDF. I do better studying from a physical book than an eBook so I'm looking to purchase the physical. The version on Amazon is from 2021 at $75. There's a version on mypilotstore for $22 and also $35 which comes with the "Airplane Flying Handbook". All of the reviews I'm seeing on mypilotstore are from previous to 2021 so I assume this isn't the latest version from the FAA. Does that matter? I think most recent version prior to 2021 was 2016. Am I going to loose much buying a 5 year old book and save $40?

Thanks in advance.
Did you try your local library or EBay? You can buy them used really cheap - 25A version for $6 free shipping on EBay.

Last edited:
How much would it cost to go to a shop with a USB thumb drive and have it printed&bound?
With 534 pages and full color graphics, I'm guessing substantially more than the $16-$20 to purchase a new one from a reputable seller.

Holy crap! I just saw the $70 version from something called the "Geospatial institute". They even changed the cover and the title page to say 2021. Some guy is claiming "authorship with "contributions" from the FAA. with some guy with "contributions" from the FAA claiming authorship . Doubtful there is anything else to differentiate it from the official version other than the "copyrighted material" logo added to every page.

Edit: I reported it to Amazon and the FAA.

Last edited:
PHAK is over 530 pages. AFH is over 240 pages. Kinko’s/FedEx is at least 20 cents/page for full color.

Thanks in advance.

The latest PHAK is from 2016. There is no 2021 version. And if there was it wouldn't be $75. It's a scam.

Back