Pilot Skills: Today Versus 40 Years Ago

Back in the olde days we we did everything by hand, could use slide rules, and flew xc upwind both ways. ;) In the absence of real data, I don't know if the recently trained pilot population has better or worse stick and rudder skills than older pilots. I suspect skills have a lot more to do with your instructor and how you are taught rather than when it happened.

Umm... The FAA still requires you to show proficiency with a slide rule. We would be so much better off if they required you to learn an abacus and sexigesmal.

:yes:
Umm... The FAA still requires you to show proficiency with a slide rule. We would be so much better off if they required you to learn an abacus and sexigesmal.

I was trained with a sectional and slide rule and all of that but honestly between foreflight and gps and electronic e6bs and efbs not sure I could go back to pen and paper. Those skills are VERY rusty.

:yes:

I was trained with a sectional and slide rule and all of that but honestly between foreflight and gps and electronic e6bs and efbs not sure I could go back to pen and paper. Those skills are VERY rusty.
I started planning my mock VFR flight for my Commercial checkride today and needed to refresh myself on some stuff. The examiner wants it done all by paper and pen.

VWGhiaBob,

Your piloting background so nearly duplicates mine that I just had to throw in a nickels' worth. I, too got my PPL in 1972, and after 42 years of not piloting began again. The only differences I would offer are that I did have to recover from spins in both the PA12 which I started in and the C172 which the flying club purchased shortly after that. My practical did not require the manuver for whatever reason. I still feel this kind of aircraft maneuvering capability is sadly missing these days and I feel it is a great confidence builder. Otherwise, I agree with your resume of comparative capabilities. the complexities of airspace, ATC interaction and traffic density require much more of a newly minted PPL than 40 years ago.

I started planning my mock VFR flight for my Commercial checkride today and needed to refresh myself on some stuff. The examiner wants it done all by paper and pen.

I would only allow an ink well and a quill.

It used to be the Instrument Rating was the most difficult to earn and the private was the easiest. Now it is vice versa.

It used to be the Instrument Rating was the most difficult to earn and the private was the easiest. Now it is vice versa.
Depending on your aptitudes.. I certainly found this to be true.

I'm thinking that's hyperbole but ? Please explain, it's been a while.

the complexities of airspace, ATC interaction and traffic density require much more of a newly minted PPL than 40 years ago.

I think it only seems that way. In 1974, IIRC, I had to teach TCAs, ARSAs, ATAs, CZs and TRSAs (stages one and two). But then, somebody (if I ever get my hands around their neck...) changed it all around for the digit brain generation. Our brain cells aren't programmed for ones and zeros, so it only seems like it's all more complicated, TFRs excepted. We had BFRs too, but CFIs treated them like the hour of dual they were intended to be, not the "3-hour flight tests" some CFIs evolved them into today.

I remember the 1960s when a small 2200' airstrip I flew from would often have more than 5 airplanes in the pattern--most without working radios (Superhomers) and also the rapid-fire instructions from the old Tamiami Airport control tower handling multiple runways and students from multiple schools together with the busy reliever traffic from Miami International. Often there were way more than a dozen airplanes in the pattern there.

Of course, we had our share of novice pilots, nee ham radio operators, who liked to gab to ATC more than fly the plane, but I suspect that mindset is even more prevalent today, judging by the need for everybody to instantly gossip on forums and in emails, instant messaging, texting and over cell phones. We needed none of that and looked forward to hearing, "Frequency change approved," so we could turn the darn thing off, not beg for someone to follow us around holding our hands and distracting ATC from their primary job of controlling IFR aircraft. I'll take that service readily now, though, it seems the FAA has had the funds for enough controllers ever since 1969.
:popcorn:

dtuuri

:yesnod:

The unnecessary radio calls is one of the biggest pet peeves that I have.

"Roger, cleared to land on runway 03 right, wind 030 @ 4, number 3 in final behind the white Cessna with the STOL kit, thank you very much for clearing me to land. Thank you. Thanks. Your Thank You card is in the mail."

Much more aggravating are the idiots without a radio or refuse to use it near or in the pattern saying see and avoid is "plenty good enough". Real dumb.

But you did spin training, didn't you? In Russia they are even required to exit the spin on a specific heading.

I got my certificate in '68.
NO spin training asked or performed
(( but did do some later on in life --- for The Fish (Halibut) ;) ))

It seems pilots today are hipper on computers and as a result navigation. It's also possible they are somewhat better in handling themselves in heavy traffic situations. Again computers, much better radios, etc. Looking at the faa flight accidents and intently reading some of the questions asked by private pilots on this site, I don't think their ability to hands on handle the aircraft in takeoff or landings is any better, or flying in general, in fact it may be worse. Some of the questions asked are dumbfounding for someone who is licensed to fly. Hard to see how they could survive with just a chart or two and a wristwatch.

Of course, we had our share of novice pilots, nee ham radio operators, who liked to gab to ATC more than fly the plane...

Not this ham radio operator. I save the ragchew for the ragchew repeater. In the airplane I'm in Contester mode. 3 QSOs per minute, minimum. And a faster run rate is fine by be, if'n ATC can keep up. ;)

Back