Pilot shortage once again....

No, actually the helicopter pilot that brought that patent to you is the guy who deserves the credit.

Not the way our program works. The only pilot and flight crew the pt had was us.

We are not a addition for the helo, we are a replacement for a helo, especially in the condition we often fly in, where no rotor wing will launch.

As far as checking out other places, I've been around the globe, got enough vacation time to go kick it in Thailand if I wanted, personally I really enjoy where I live and there's enough to do here for a few lifetimes, if you're the outdoors type.

And that's exactly what you don't understand. The more TIME you spend exposing your self the MORE aviation experience you gain. 1500 is a larger number than 300. Even if you never get out of the traffic pattern I can guarantee you he has seen more and been exposed to more than the 300 hour guy

More like something you're trying to say that's already understood.

What you're missing is your company wants those butts in that seat and isn't going to pay to train them properly before they dump them on you. And you knew that going in.

As pointed out above, both Colgan pilots were above the magic 1500.

You're going to have inexperienced people flying passengers for a long time into the foreseeable future. It's not something I'm arguing, or even condoning, it's fact. And they're going to look to folks like you to mentor them through it. They'll pass all the sim stuff and make all their call outs and yadda yadda, but they won't know a damned thing for a while.

And there's nothing the light aircraft GA sector can do down lower in the food chain to fix it. Send em up for 1500 hours in something that can't weather fly like an airliner and they're still not going to know what an airplane completely loaded with ice flies like or behaves like. Send em up for 3,000 hours in stuff that isn't capable of flying the line. It won't make much difference. 5,000... It doesn't matter. They're still headed your way eventually with no idea what your jet is capable of.

It's not the 70s and 80s where freight dogs were plying the skies at night moving stuff around in slightly more capable twins than the typical twin trainer building hours and scaring themselves to keep a paycheck and learning about weather. That stuff was dying by the 90s. Internet replaced it, along with upsizing the FedEx and UPS fleets and companies. And the regionals aren't servicing mountain towns here with Twin Otters and Dash-7s anymore either.

Oh sure there's the occasional place like Key Lime that snags a UPS feeder contract in beat down old Metroliners and 414s with every single thing but the six pack and the engines deferred, and also pretends to be a mountain airline with a couple of smurfjets under a charter certificate, but they're by far the exception rather than the rule anymore.

The airlines couldn't stuff enough people through those types of freight outfits to meet their hiring needs if they wanted to. From a strategy point of view they don't really have a plan, so you end up having to teach. That's not going to end anytime soon.

If they were mediocre to awful teachers themselves just to plod through 1500.1 hours to get to sit next to you, they still won't have much real experience once they get there. (Unless they did one of the few aforementioned things that still needs low timers... like I said, you're probably far enough along you'll be shielded from them, but they'll be flying passengers somewhere and someone will be breaking them in.)

@LDJones has shared his experiences with us and he's (from all accounts) a good instructor, and he's had a pretty significant learning curve in the jet. For every Jonesy there's at least one awful instructor who'll be worse but who won't quite wash out.

All I've said is that you'll be (or one of your peers anyway) teaching them. There's really not much way around it. 300 or 1500 hours, they're still not ready to fly a jet full of humans out of MSP in winter.

1500 better than 300? Sure. No argument there. But they won't have seen the equipment capable of flying it, nor the weather you guys see. Nobody at the bottom end of the system can get them that, either. Certainly not putzing around looking at pipeline for leaks.

First year pilots at my company make $50K. It's all about thinking long term. First year pay for most regionals suck. Once you get to second and third year pay it's fine.

This is only a recent change though Jordan. I'm sure you are aware that the sign on bonuses and tuition reimbursements and the "guaranteed major airline jobs" some of these regionals are now offering is a new thing. It's a great time to have your ATP because as I have read, airlines will literally offer you a job without much difficulty. However, the regionals have a long way to go to recover any semblance of respectability from perspective pilots or people who are considering professions.

I have nothing but respect for regional pilots- they do a tough job well and are well under paid for the work they do. It just seems like the 1500 hour rule really is killing the pilot production pipe line( no shock a government regulation had unintended consequences right?!?!)

Yeah but they have FREE travel privileges on airplanes that will take you to Pisa. You got that in your IT job ?
I get airline tickets with points where I dont sit standby and when I get to my destination I have enough points to stay at the hotel as long as I need. Neither of those guarantees are afforded at 121. I have united flight benefits (which I have not used) I always use points on another airline because my time is too valuable to sit around on stand-by travel.

If the people who died in clarence, n.y. Could speak I think they would agree! Neither pilot was qualified to be flying that plane. This triggered the 1500 hr. Limit. An excellent rule.

Do you know how many hours those pilots had? How would a 1500 minimum have affected pilots who had 3,379 hours and 2,244 hours at the time of the crash?

How many years did it take to get there ? Crj 200s aren't capable of making if from Houston to London and the CRJ is where the shortage is. I would like to fly 121 to Pisa and spend a 3 day overnight there and head to Rome for another 4 day overnight before heading back to the U.S.

For me, it was after 15 years of flying for uncle sam. I guess my point was that if you guys are crushing the minimum requirements and have lots of experience, what's saying you couldn't get hired at a major? From what I've seen there is a drastic difference in 121 flying - RJ's to 777's. Saying that you won't go 121 is a pretty wide statement. First year in RJ's sounds rough unless you are up for it, first year at a major (at least for me) was a piece of cake!

For me, it was after 15 years of flying for uncle sam. I guess my point was that if you guys are crushing the minimum requirements and have lots of experience, what's saying you couldn't get hired at a major? From what I've seen there is a drastic difference in 121 flying - RJ's to 777's. Saying that you won't go 121 is a pretty wide statement. First year in RJ's sounds rough unless you are up for it, first year at a major (at least for me) was a piece of cake!
Flying at the majors would be great. Flying at the regionals for 10+ years to get to the majors would be the bad deal. I'm very shortsighted and happiness today trumps happiness 10 years from today. I know people enjoy the regionals but I could never enjoy the regionals as much as I'm enjoying the kind of flying I have been getting. Not having to wait to upgrade to log PIC helps my situation as well.

Gentlemen Hello, Can anyone tell me what the regulations say for flying in a paid job after the age of 65 ? Isn't there a mandatory retirement from flying at age 65 with Part 121, what about part 91 or 135 ?

I know that the NTSB dismissed that, but I don't know why. They didn't explain their thinking so I am skeptical.
I suspect it had to do with the Captains training history and the shear amount if physical force he put on the yoke pulling it back and holding it. It was more like a frozen panicked force/reaction than a thought through reaction.

Gentlemen Hello, Can anyone tell me what the regulations say for flying in a paid job after the age of 65 ? Isn't there a mandatory retirement from flying at age 65 with Part 121, what about part 91 or 135 ?

Only Part 121. All other commercial flying no age restriction.

Back