Pilot Institute vs. King School Instrument

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
What are your thoughts about Pilot institute instrument course and/or King school instrument course?

Which one will have you better prepared to become checkride ready via knowledge/oral portion?

how long did it take you to study(weeks) the instrument ground school for the checkride (via courses above)?

The written exam was completed via Sheppard air studying. 10days of studying 5 hours a day!

Last edited:
1. I haven’t heard of Pilot Institute. King has been around forever and do a good class.
2. Shepard Air isn’t a ground school, it is a written test prep. Some use it for that.
3. Generally, students use an oral prep guide to prepare for the practical test.

The ASA oral exam guides were very helpful for me. I used King for IR ground, didn’t have any issues on the written or oral between King and the ASA guide.

I would disagree with SheppardAir being considered as just a test prep. While it has that side to it, it also has instruction related to the question. It explains why the answer is what it is along with source material from the FAR / AIM, which allows a good bit of instruction at the same time. In several cases, they have videos to explain a subject even deeper, so not just a brain dump where you answer the same questions over and over simply to pass a test.

King really reaches it to you. In small vids that low very digestible. Yes they are hokey but you will know the info. Not just prepping for a test.

Depends upon your studying. I took pilot institute because i wanted a change up in delivery. Rod machado is decent as well. Pilot institute ifr will take you through all the subjects. The content is complete. It doesn’t have monster test prep but theoretically you don’t need test prep if you know the content - though it can help. I scored a 95 from using pilot institute.

But I caveat that - I’m a good studier, I absorb information to understand it and I test well. Mainly because I want to understand it and retain it. Not all students are like me and I get that. Some people just want to pass. Some don’t study well. Some don’t want to. Neither PI, King, Sportys (which Ive heard has some holes), Gold Seal, etc contain all the questions on the exam for test prep - Sheppards does. I scored 95 just by studying and understanding without test prep. So it obviously contains the information you need to learn it. I would say - Kings, Gold Seal, and others that are highly rated as well. But again - there are too many people here who just try and memorize.

I would disagree with SheppardAir being considered as just a test prep. While it has that side to it, it also has instruction related to the question. It explains why the answer is what it is along with source material from the FAR / AIM, which allows a good bit of instruction at the same time. In several cases, they have videos to explain a subject even deeper, so not just a brain dump where you answer the same questions over and over simply to pass a test.
As expansive as their question database may be, they do not include questions on every single bit of knowledge covered in the FAA textbooks. I understand your argument that Sheppard explains the answers for questions allowing you to learn. But that's a very Cliff's Notes approach. It's the bare minimum, presented without broader context. So yes, I also contend that it is test prep only. If there's a topic that doen't have a question associated with it, you won't learn about it from Sheppard.

For the checkride oral test portion,
1) Get the latest FAR/AIM, and highlight / sticky note it until it doubles in weight and pages are starting to get thin from your constant page turning

2) Get the latest download of PilotsCafe.Com https://pilotscafe.com/IFR-quick-review-guide/

The guy has a voluntary payment amount. Think what you should pay and then double it. It is a gold mine, an excellent summary and preparation tool.

3) Do several mock interviews with your CFII.

If there's a topic that doen't have a question associated with it, you won't learn about it from Sheppard.

Like you, I understand your argument. However, my curiosity is piqued, so I hope you'll indulge me. Are you aware of any IFR topic that does not have a question associated with it? To me it seemed that the the topics were pretty encompassing, although I am definitely willing to learn.

Like you, I understand your argument. However, my curiosity is piqued, so I hope you'll indulge me. Are you aware of any IFR topic that does not have a question associated with it? To me it seemed that the the topics were pretty encompassing, although I am definitely willing to learn.
There are some questions that are direct quotes from the textbooks. Not every sentence in the textbooks is quoted for a test question. So, from that respect, the topics are pretty encompassing, but not ALL encompassing. That's the way tests work. They sample portions of a course, expecting that the student studied the entire course. If the test questions covered everything, why have a course to begin with? Imagine how quickly people could rush through college if, instead of taking courses, students simply memorized questions and answers?

Thanks, Mike. And unlike Pilot Cafe, the Gold Seal cheat sheet is 100% free.
We're getting ready to publish one for Commercial later this week, too.

There are some questions that are direct quotes from the textbooks. Not every sentence in the textbooks is quoted for a test question. So, from that respect, the topics are pretty encompassing, but not ALL encompassing. That's the way tests work. They sample portions of a course, expecting that the student studied the entire course. If the test questions covered everything, why have a course to begin with? Imagine how quickly people could rush through college if, instead of taking courses, students simply memorized questions and answers?

Using the college example, I do believe students can challenge a course by simply taking an exam. So, that is a thing, or at least was. Also, the notorious college cramming for tests events proves that even exposure to a full course does not guarantee information retention.

I would suggest, rather, that whether you use SheppardAir, Sporty's, or an actual in-seat ground school you get out what you put into it. If you only care about passing a test, that is all you'll get out of it. If you study the material to understand it, you should be able to both pass a test and understand the concepts and be able to apply them.

I just took the IRA written test. I used gleim and Sheppard. Neither is perfect but I'd say Sheppard is not instructional. I didn't find or see any videos in Sheppard that explains the stuff. the questions and answers have explanations which was useful to me but I still think that's not enough. I think gleim explains things but it has flaws too. the charts they use have awful resolution and you can't see a damn thing.

I passed with a 95 (I made 3 stupid mistakes) but I put in the work and read the books and tons of online YouTube research. I also have flown simulation IFR for years on pilotedge so I sorta knew most of the material already.

That cheat sheet looks very nice and is well laid out.

Good job to you and / or whoever else worked on the layout and presentation.

Thanks, much appreciated. We don't beg for money, we don't add you to an email database, nor make you jump through hoops. It's just click, download, and enjoy.

https://shepair.com/videocenter.htm

This response is limited to just showing there were a few videos at Sheppard.

Well damn now I feel stupid. I totally missed those. After signing up I downloaded the appt onto the IPAD and there is nothing but questions and answers on there. I am just now realizing I could have watched freaking instructional videos on their web.

Thanks, much appreciated. We don't beg for money, we don't add you to an email database, nor make you jump through hoops. It's just click, download, and enjoy.

Thank you for creating that and sharing. I will def use it towards my prep work for the oral and checkride and I will make sure I contribute $$ towards your work.

Thank you for creating that and sharing. I will def use it towards my prep work for the oral and checkride and I will make sure I contribute $$ towards your work.
Don't worry about the $$. Just do well in your training! Best of luck to you.

I started the Gold Seal Instrument Course last week. So far I am really enjoying it and feel that it will serve me well in the plane as well as on the test. Of course I am supplementing the online course with the IFHB and other necessary FAA publications but the explanations are better than in the handbook IMO.

Hey there, Robin. We're glad to have you. PM me if you need an assist. We also have a phone number that is answered by a real human being during office hours.

Back