Pilot arrogance

Were you arrogant before or did you turn arrogant after becaming a pilot?

• Before

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • After

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • YES

Votes: 54 65.1%

• Total voters
that is just survival in a fighter……nothing to do with belittling other pilots in general

uh-huh. I'm sure everyone took the 'you're nobody' comment that way. :goofy:

" Effing little, British scum turd said "oh, well I'm just an open water certified diver". To which I replied "I really wished you would have come over and distracted that 6 foot green eel for me." She STFU for the rest of the day.

Excuse me.... "British Scum turd" ? ...Boy oh boy..you must have a honors degree in racist arrogance !

Regards
Al ( Proud to be British )

Excuse me.... "British Scum turd" ? ...Boy oh boy..you must have a honors degree in racist arrogance !

Regards
Al ( Proud to be British )

British is a race?

But yes, I am a racist. All white people are racists doncha know...

I did graduate with honors! Thanks.:D

uh-huh. I'm sure everyone took the 'you're nobody' comment that way. :goofy:

I'm definitely no fighter pilot but I took the sig line to mean having the advantage over your opponent. Like the saying "speed is life." Not something related to arrogance. I don't interpret it as, I can do 500 kts and you can't in your Cessna. It's, I've prepared for the merge by managing my energy state, so now I have the upper hand. :dunno:

Last edited:
Lots of arrogance here. Someone gets their PPL, and acknowledges it's a "license to learn". Six months and 50 hours later they are arguing with a 20,000 hour ATP about a procedure.

And as we've seen in these pages, the 20000 hour ATP can be just as wrong as the plebe.

For the sake of passengers we need to ooze arrogance at the proper times.

Confidence would be a better word.

If the mill quits and you freak out, that helps no one.

You learn to sweat only on the left side of your face. --- Rod Machado

And as we've seen in these pages, the 20000 hour ATP can be just as wrong as the plebe.

Sure can.. But often the new pilot can quote the book pretty well. The ATP can quote the way it really is.

I don't know if I'd call it arrogance, just a high level of confidence.
The longer you fly, the more situations you sort out and live through, the higher your level of confidence is going to grow.

It's not arrogance when you're as awesome as I am.

Is dale SNODGRASS arrogant? I'll bet he is not. The real pros are usually anything but! SNODGRASS is truly awesome.

Is dale SNODGRASS arrogant? I'll bet he is not. The real pros are usually anything but! SNODGRASS is truly awesome.

I remember walking around the ramp prior to the opening of the Oceana air show a few years back. Snooping around the MIG-15, and out comes this older guy in normal clothes. Says it is his, and we all chat for a good few minutes, me having no idea who he is, and him not specifically saying. Then the wife comes up and about the first thing out of her mouth was "do you guys know who this is?" We shake our heads and she says "DALE SNODGRASS" (ok maybe without quite so much emphasis). I did know the name, but it was just a funny interaction. She was a nice lady too, but her apparent interest in his notoriety caught me a little off guard in a world where we don't really have "celebrities". He was really personable and just wanted to talk flying, which I dug, and I would concur with the above statement.

I guess I have to be arrogant as it is expected from many. :rolleyes:

I'm a pilot. I own and fly taildraggers, specifically including an RV-4. I'm a (retired) military officer. I'm a Service Academy graduate. I'm (a damaged) paratrooper. I'm a senior manager at work...whose mere presence makes people uncomfortable.

Seems at some time in the past I've been told all these traits cause arrogance.

My wife just tells me I'm an ****ole. :D

Of course, I think I'm pretty down to earth and a pretty average GA pilot.

I thought he was a trip. Personable but I bugged him for an autograph while he was observing another performer. He was like a safety observer or something so he couldn't be distracted. He finally walked inside with my poster, held it up to an A-10 guy and bragged a bit how they were doing Legacy Flights before it got popular. Just friendly ribbing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    938.6 KB · Views: 19
"Arrogant" is just a dismissive term used by those who feel they have to compensate for their own lack of self-confidence. :rolleyes:

Mark

Hmmm, nice words. I particularly like your sig line.
:rofl:

Never thought it would mean anything to non-fighter guys (do you go to the merge?) I just remembered it all these years. It's definitely a "speed is life" type of thing. Sorry if it upset any sensitivities... :D

Snort is a great guy - yes he is totally arrogant but wears it well. I fly with him at Draken and love the guy like a great-grandfather I never had. haha. I'm glad you guys have had good experiences with him, like I said I love the guy but a lot of guys I fly with at Delta have different stories to tell. All good, I know Snort doesn't let it bother him!

When the F-14s were around I was working intermediate level and repairing the ancient electronics from them. I wasn't in a Squadron at that time.

David

I was just kidding, but if you want to talk about a stereotypically (somewhat accurately so) arrogant community, it would have been the Tomcat. I know plenty of good guys who grew up there, but I've also met a ton of a holes.

Back