Pilot’s Erratic Behavior Forces Flight to be Diverted

I have had "captain" on ignore for about a hundred posts. I was abotu to let fly but restrained myself.

Is it safe to unignore, now?

It was always safe, pretty entertaining even. Rare is it that a person has such poor communication skills so insistent on using them; the severely autistic I used manage at a machine shop often didn't do so bad at communicating.:lol: I wonder if he might have had some cruel alien brain dissection experiment performed on him and they didn't put all the connections together just right the poor fella.

Last edited:
Sort of like when you get told to be on your best behavior when the guest are over. But below the surface you are still who you really are. Just the outward appearance is whitewashed.

My observation is that people do change and grow. It usually takes time though.

Would you two guys please go get a treadmill!

This comment sponsored by the non-sequitur department. If you just missed today's episode, tune in again next week when the redundancy department sponsors the re-run.

Sorry for this on-topic post, but latest news from AP is that prosecutors want him held without bond:

"A JetBlue Airways captain charged with disrupting a Las Vegas-bound flight after he left the cockpit screaming about religion and terrorists should remain in federal custody without bond, prosecutors told a judge Monday."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=149850095

Sorry for this on-topic post, but latest news from AP is that prosecutors want him held without bond:

"A JetBlue Airways captain charged with disrupting a Las Vegas-bound flight after he left the cockpit screaming about religion and terrorists should remain in federal custody without bond, prosecutors told a judge Monday."

I just read that. Makes it appear that they're really going to go after him.

Yeah, like he has any chance of being in command of an A320 in the near future. Good thing they locked him up....to protect society?

This comment sponsored by the non-sequitur department. If you just missed today's episode, tune in again next week when the redundancy department sponsors the re-run.

I think you mean the Department of Redundancy Department.

Hmm, won't open on my iPad.... Sounds like it's not a brain tumor or any recent medical event.

Hmm, won't open on my iPad.... Sounds like it's not a brain tumor or any recent medical event.

I wouldn't want to conclude from the fact that the goverment prevailed at a detention hearing in a 'terrorism case' that there is no underlying medical/psychiatric cause for what happened that day.

'Brief psychotic disorder', 'Brief psychotic disorder with stressors' (DSM 298.8) or some form of intoxication would seem a much more likely explanation for this episode than a brain tumor or other organic disease. It would still mean that he is not criminally responsible for his actions.

When a very similar thing happened on a Air Canada flight in 2008, they put the FO into psych hospital in ireland for 11 days and then shipped him home to Canada without the 'help' of the criminal justice system (despite the fact that one of the flight-attendants suffered a wrist injury during the struggle).

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11139-0.pdf

You should have seen all the crap Jean Luc Picard, Captain of the Starship Enterprise went through. Never mind momentary mental break-downs. He became a freaking Borg at one point! Dang near every week something happened to him that could have cost the Federation an entire Starship if not for the tireless efforts of his crew.

You should have seen all the crap Jean Luc Picard, Captain of the Starship Enterprise went through. Never mind momentary mental break-downs. He became a freaking Borg at one point! Dang near every week something happened to him that could have cost the Federation an entire Starship if not for the tireless efforts of his crew.

Yeah, but he didn't have DHS/TSA to contend with.

As for Captain Osbon, this is starting to get a little surreal. Shackles? Held without bond? I mean, is he really that much of a threat to society?

I'm no shrink, but I think it's pretty darn clear that the Captain was suffering from something at the time of his... difficulties.

Something's not kosher here.

-Rich

Yeah, but he didn't have DHS/TSA to contend with.

As for Captain Osbon, this is starting to get a little surreal. Shackles? Held without bond? I mean, is he really that much of a threat to society?

I'm no shrink, but I think it's pretty darn clear that the Captain was suffering from something at the time of his... difficulties.

-Rich
I think they are afraid that if they let him go, he'll grab a couple of beers and hit the slides....

I wouldn't want to conclude from the fact that the goverment prevailed at a detention hearing in a 'terrorism case' that there is no underlying medical/psychiatric cause for what happened that day.

'Brief psychotic disorder', 'Brief psychotic disorder with stressors' (DSM 298.8) or some form of intoxication would seem a much more likely explanation for this episode than a brain tumor or other organic disease. It would still mean that he is not criminally responsible for his actions.

When a very similar thing happened on a Air Canada flight in 2008, they put the FO into psych hospital in ireland for 11 days and then shipped him home to Canada without the 'help' of the criminal justice system (despite the fact that one of the flight-attendants suffered a wrist injury during the struggle).

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11139-0.pdf

I'm still thinking there's either major disclosure or drug issue involved. People his age don't flip psycho first time without chemical assistance.

What is happening to him has been described in detail in prior literary work:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/7849/pg7849.txt

I'm still thinking there's either major disclosure or drug issue involved. People his age don't flip psycho first time without chemical assistance.

Yes and no. The age peak for brief psychotic is in the 40s iirc. Running some body fluids and hair follicles through something more sensitive than the usual screening tests may also yield some interesting answers. Some people don't do well at all with benadryl and reduced cabin pressure, typically those are are passengers though. Withdrawal from beta-blockers has also landed more than one person in a 23hr observation bed.

As for the disclosure issue: They didn't charge him with falsifying his medical application. If that became the issue, they would probably charge him 6 months from now after the FAA refers his case to the prosecutor.

Yes and no. The age peak for brief psychotic is in the 40s iirc. Running some body fluids and hair follicles through something more sensitive than the usual screening tests may also yield some interesting answers. Some people don't do well at all with benadryl and reduced cabin pressure, typically those are are passengers though. Withdrawal from beta-blockers has also landed more than one person in a 23hr observation bed.

As for the disclosure issue: They didn't charge him with falsifying his medical application. If that became the issue, they would probably charge him 6 months from now after the FAA refers his case to the prosecutor.

I suspect the results of this are the cause of the extreme level of prosecution. Seriously, the people and the government are sick and tired of airline pilots sucking azz. He wigged like I see people do smoking spice is all I'm saying.

I suspect the results of this are the cause of the extreme level of prosecution.

I doubt it. The criminal complaint is based on his behaviour alone and those detailed tests typically take a while to complete.

I doubt it. The criminal complaint is based on his behaviour alone and those detailed tests typically take a while to complete.

I'm pretty sure 36-72 hrs covers the time. Requirement, but you may be right, I'm not condemning the guy yet, just saying where I'd be putting my bet; it wouldn't be big.

Actually, I really hope they botch this and maliciously prosecute an ill man who in the end is found to have an undiagnosed medical condition. It will finally be an effective display of the security theater that is being perpetrated and the very level of fear mongering that is being pushed on us.

Actually, I really hope they botch this and maliciously prosecute an ill man who in the end is found to have an undiagnosed medical condition. It will finally be an effective display of the security theater that is being perpetrated and the very level of fear mongering that is being pushed on us.

As if we don't have enough examples of that already?

As if we don't have enough examples of that already?

:confused::confused::confused: Obviously f-ing not! It's still getting worse isn't it? This will not end without a major tragic event to cause revolt. Problem is Americans are too afraid, we're too much of ******* and soft and lazy we won't risk our general comfort to stand behind our ideas. Wal Mart is the only reason there hasn't been a revolution in America in the last 20 years. We laugh at the Indians as fools for selling Manhattan for beads. We fail to see at the same time that we are trading our nation for cheap Chinese crap. Remember when Sam Walton was alive and Wal Mart ads presented with a "made in USA" endorsement extolling American made goods. What happened?

That's my point. The sheeple won't care.

As far as "What happened?", that's pretty obvious. Just ask one of the Walton kids why they sold out their dad's values and dreams. Or the bankers why they made millions of bad loans to poor people to line their pockets.

Because they could. That's their only moral compass.

Some guy with a nice beard from Harvard who never worked a day in his life is printing extra money for them and destroying the value of the dollar as we speak.

You and I, we have some skills the rich need. We're the ones who looked around for those opportunities and grabbed on with two hands. They need the ****-pot emptied on the jet chariot, they've got a Corporate pilot for that. A server fixed at 2AM. I'm there. Their expensive yacht moved out of the way of a storm, you're on it.

If you don't have such a skill, expect to be screwed. Ain't no one left in America who's getting rich enough to not care about money who hasn't sold out at least some percentage of their fellow Citizens to accomplish it. I'm not interested in selling my soul. You probably aren't either. Bummer for us.

To be truthful, this isn't really new in America. It was just accelerated by the Internet and the economy going more global. Nobody gave a crap if Greece defaulted on bad loans made by Germany in 1980. Now the whole world acts like it's some kind of unimaginable big surprise.

In the time it took me to type this in the IHOP parking lot, I just had a K-9 officer come up and quiz me as to why I was sitting in my truck, tell me that there are "lots of drug deals in this parking lot", and ask me if I'd eaten in the IHOP I've been eating at for ten years. I told him he could go inside and talk to George if he wanted. He continued asking if I was married after his flashlight found my wedding band. I said I was. He asked where I live.

He basically wanted to know why I wasn't a good little sheeple at home with my wife at 23:00. He made it clear that sitting here talking to you guys on my iPad wasn't "approved behavior".

By the way, Karen is at a rehearsal. I often sit in parking lots in my trick with my iPad because I don't smoke in the house. And WTF is this asshat's problem shining a flashlight in my face and telling me to go home?

If I see any f-ing drug deals in suburbia, I'll give you a call dip****. You're more than welcome to sick the dog on them. We need more incarcerated people to pay for. Keeps the new companies that utilize prison labor to farm fresh tilapia for Whole Foods here in Colorado in cheap labor.

I'm a fan of good Police officers and have many cop friends, but this guy was digging really hard. Flashlight all over the Yukon looking for something, anything to drag my ass out of the truck and search it.

Welcome to the Police State. Enjoy all.

Aww look. He caught himself a speeder a half a block away.

Much better than interrogating a bored guy sitting in his truck playing with his new iPad.

4b94241c-d9f2-65fd.jpg

I am safely home now. I won't be bothering any more Arapahoe County Sheriffs tonight.

Their former boss however, a former National Sheriff of the Year, was locked up in a sex for drugs case today.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE83301M20120404?irpc=932

Perhaps that's why they see drug dealers in every parking lot tonight? LOL!

That or they've just been watching too many episodes of Breaking Bad. Hell if I know.

Yup. I got stopped a few years ago (I was 28 at the time) on the way back from bowling because my vehicle inspection was rejected, and I had two 22 y/o's in the truck with me. First words out of his mouth, "What's that odor I smell?" My reply: "The cigarette I just smoked, officer," my thought: "Maybe your upper lip cuz yer full of s_*^." I complied respectfully with every request he made. Some very good friends of mine are cops, and I have all the respect in the world for them. But don't go fishing, that's a freaking insult. This guy ticketed me for overdue inspection, because the windshield repair guy who replaced the windshield put my inspection sticker on the new windshield. The fine was about $5 less than what I had to my name ($260 IIRC), and my appointment for inspection was a few days away at the time. That fine set a really bad chain reaction to my finances, all because some cop felt like being a prick to a respectful honest guy with two college grads with him. Thumbs-up community policing.

A friend of mine answered that "What do I smell" question once with...

"I don't know... Maybe Bacon?"

It did not go well for him. Haha. They didn't arrest him because there was nothing to arrest him for, but he spent a looooong time sitting there after refusing a vehicle search while they pretended it took a long time to check NCIC to see if he had any priors.

He didn't. He's actually as straight laced as they come, but has been a card-carrying (so to speak) member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and various other online rights groups and is quite paranoid about the already lost battle of online privacy. He hates being interrogated by anyone. His usual response is "none of your business". To anyone.

He wrote some tools to gather info about people from their Facebook and other online accounts and personas years ago before it was "news" that stalkers could utilize such info, (duh!) and ran it against me once because he knew I wouldn't care. He works in IT security.

"Dude! Do you know how many people you're connected with online?!"

"Yeah. A whole crap-ton of pilots."

"Yeah man. It took the tool a couple hours to sift through all of that!"

"Anything interesting?"

"No. They're boring."

(And then the idea hit me to make him paranoid...)

"Oh, so all those pilots covered up the really interesting connections, eh?"

Haha. He figured out I was kidding. I didn't deliver the line well enough.

A friend of mine answered that "What do I smell" question once with...

"I don't know... Maybe Bacon?"

It did not go well for him. Haha. They didn't arrest him because there was nothing to arrest him for, but he spent a looooong time sitting there after refusing a vehicle search while they pretended it took a long time to check NCIC to see if he had any priors.

He didn't. He's actually as straight laced as they come, but has been a card-carrying (so to speak) member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and various other online rights groups and is quite paranoid about the already lost battle of online privacy. He hates being interrogated by anyone. His usual response is "none of your business". To anyone.

He wrote some tools to gather info about people from their Facebook and other online accounts and personas years ago before it was "news" that stalkers could utilize such info, (duh!) and ran it against me once because he knew I wouldn't care. He works in IT security.

"Dude! Do you know how many people you're connected with online?!"

"Yeah. A whole crap-ton of pilots."

"Yeah man. It took the tool a couple hours to sift through all of that!"

"Anything interesting?"

"No. They're boring."

(And then the idea hit me to make him paranoid...)

"Oh, so all those pilots covered up the really interesting connections, eh?"

Haha. He figured out I was kidding. I didn't deliver the line well enough.

Ha... he's home right now mining data from your new Ipad...:yikes::D

You dont know how true that statement is. ;)

I'll know if he's really keeping tabs on me if he brings up this thread the next time I see him.

Haha. I doubt it. He knows I'm "boring". :)

Back