Pilot’s Erratic Behavior Forces Flight to be Diverted

Bad reaction to something the FA put in his coffee?

1st Class Medical... $100 every six months.

Psyche tests administered by the employer... $500 or more.

Flipping out so bad you have to be restrained physically... Priceless.

“We are conducting a preliminary investigation to determine if any federal laws were broken,” she said.

Is it against the law to lock the captain out of the cockpit so he can't come back in?

That video must have been filmed with an iPhone since it looks like ****.

What am I supposed to be seeing?

Always the Apple slams, Nick.

More like it's filmed from 20+ rows away in the TSA safe cattle car, so it's generally worthless. :)

It was barely couple weeks ago that a flight attendant had to be removed (before takeoff) from an aircraft because she went berserk screaming about terrorists, safety, etc. Now we have a very similar behavior by a member of a cockpit crew. Interesting trend!

It was barely couple weeks ago that a flight attendant had to be removed (before takeoff) from an aircraft because she went berserk screaming about terrorists, safety, etc. Now we have a very similar behavior by a member of a cockpit crew. Interesting trend!
Sounds like Congress needs to get involved!

“We are conducting a preliminary investigation to determine if any federal laws were broken,” she said.

Is it against the law to lock the captain out of the cockpit so he can't come back in?

only if he tried to reverse taxi back on a highspeed.:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol:

only if he tried to reverse taxi back on a highspeed.:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol:
You might be on to something.....maybe on a previous leg, the Captain DID take the reverse high speed and the FO was determined to not let that happen again!

This does make an interesting airline interview scenario question.....

You might be on to something.....maybe on a previous leg, the Captain DID take the reverse high speed and the FO was determined to not let that happen again!

This does make an interesting airline interview scenario question.....

Hmmm...:idea: Captain log on today?

Meh. I'd like to slap whoever recorded this and posted it on the internet. Bad enough that the guy was having a mental breakdown, posting it on the internet for everyone to see is just cruel.

Meh. I'd like to slap whoever recorded this and posted it on the internet. Bad enough that the guy was having a mental breakdown, posting it on the internet for everyone to see is just cruel.

Agreed.

Also let me add another thought. Right now we don't know what happened to the Captain. He may be suffering from something far more serious.

I have a parent right now who's been diagnosed with brain cancer. This is an individual who is bright and articulate, never had a problem with anything. Then one morning he wakes up, can't dress himself and can't even put on his glasses. And yes, you could even say "acting erratic". After getting him to the hospital and an MRI, lesions were found on the brain, and later a cranial biopsy proved stage 4 Glioblastoma multiforme.

Before jumping to conclusions such as "flipped out" or joking about "psych test" let's hope he doesn't have something far more serious, and deadly awaiting him.

Just my .02.

Agreed.

Also let me add another thought. Right now we don't know what happened to the Captain. He may be suffering from something far more serious.

I have a parent right now who's been diagnosed with brain cancer. This is an individual who is bright and articulate, never had a problem with anything. Then one morning he wakes up, can't dress himself and can't even put on his glasses. And yes, you could even say "acting erratic". After getting him to the hospital and an MRI, lesions were found on the brain, and later a cranial biopsy proved stage 4 Glioblastoma multiforme.

Before jumping to conclusions such as "flipped out" or joking about "psych test" let's hope he doesn't have something far more serious, and deadly awaiting him.

Just my .02.

That hits real close to home.. My dad was sharp as a tack. One day his vision blurred, he went to the eye doctor to see if he needed a stronger pair of reading glasses. That doc suggested a MRI, he got one ,they gave him 8 weeks, he made it 7... That stage 4 Glioblastoma multiforme is the worst thing I have ever seen.:sad::sad::sad::sad::mad:.. God bless your dad R&W.

I got nothing from the video except someone screaming.

From the article it says the FO became concerned, waited for the Captain to leave, and then locked him out. Okay...I assume there was an FA up there with him so I suppose he has a corroborating witness to the Captains weird unknown behavior.

Or, the FO could be off his rocker and locked the Captain out and that's why we heard him screaming...like, "Let me back in that cockpit you little f@#ker!!!"

Obviously something bad went down...takes a real set on the FO's part to lock the skipper out. Hope for his sake they find something wrong with the Captain.

Gotta be against the law to wrestle the captain to the ground also. :eek:

If they are trying to figure out whether or not something was done that was against the law, it makes me wonder:

Why don't planes have cameras? I mean, in the cockpit? I know we have a "black box" that records everything (at least I thought it did, even non PTT voice stuff), why do we not have a camera?

If they are trying to figure out whether or not something was done that was against the law, it makes me wonder:

Why don't planes have cameras? I mean, in the cockpit? I know we have a "black box" that records everything (at least I thought it did, even non PTT voice stuff), why do we not have a camera?

Would a camera be worth it?

What would a camera show that is not captured by the CVR and FDR? More specifically, what would it record that would be useful in accident investigation?

Would a camera be worth it?

What would a camera show that is not captured by the CVR and FDR? More specifically, what would it record that would be useful in accident investigation?

Whether or not a captain's behavior was crazy enough for the FO to lock him out of his own cockpit.

There is a lot of sensitivity around this issue and issues related to data collected in a modern aircraft. No one wants big brother watching their every move or control input.

I've seen instances where it was difficult to get data released for safety and reliability investigations. Most large airlines have FOQA (Flight Operations Quality Assurance) departments that routinely analyze Flight Data Recorder data and data from other sources specifically to monitor crew performance.

It's not unusual to get fault messages directly from inbound flights while they are still enroute. Most of this data would be just a distraction for the crew so they don't even see the messages. That is, if it doesn't involve a failure that affects safety.

There is a lot of Condition Monitoring (and engine analysis) going on too. I work with folks that make their living reviewing the engine data automatically transmitted from aircraft.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Also let me add another thought. Right now we don't know what happened to Captain. He may be suffering from something far more serious.

Maybe the FA slipped him Visene...:dunno: Captain log in today?

Last edited:
Would that be worth the expense of putting cameras in there?

No, it wouldn't.

The captain's medical report and the crew's verbal and/or written reports should be more than sufficient to determine if the actions taken were necessary.

Probably not. I was just "wondering out loud" since there are more and more cameras showing up these days in public places and beyond.

And I was just walking through the thought process of a good reason why there isn't a camera in the cockpit.

Pilot's union, that's why. Pilots don't want a record of what they do any more than they have to. The entire system is set up to allow a less than fully competent pilot through the system. I used to always put cameras in the wheelhouse which included the radar pic with a cheap 4 camera Sony system from Sam's Club. People don't want to be held accountable for what they do.

Agreed.

Just my .02.

Fully agree, and sorry about your parent. Early onset Alzheimers runs in my family, and I understand how difficult and shocking a sudden change in mental status can be.

Pilot's union, that's why. Pilots don't want a record of what they do any more than they have to. The entire system is set up to allow a less than fully competent pilot through the system.

BS.gif

Cameras do not belong in the cockpit.

Also, I guarentee those tapes would somehow get leaked. It was promised that CVR's would never be leaked when they got installed and guess what? Go on Google and find all the CVR tapes you can stomach.

Pilots should not have their final moments broadcast via TV or the internet or any other means so that wives and kids can see 'Daddy's' final moments. Imagine the scaring that would cause...

As others have said, what would be gained? Very little for such a huge price to pay...

Last edited:
Back