Pilot’s Erratic Behavior Forces Flight to be Diverted

It just struck me as funny this morning...yup, it was goofy so I used the goofy emoticon, nothing personal.

Oh, I did knot taek it personally nor negatively, thats why eye put the smiley next to mine response.

:D

Captain's only "crime" here is he is an arrogant ass that has a low post count, as opposed to several arrogant asses that have post counts in the thousands. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, but they are nonetheless arrogant asses that have no tact in their delivery.

He's not an airline pilot anymore, btw. He was, but works in a job more closely tied to GA than almost anyone here. He probably hits more airports in more obscure locations under challenging conditions than most on the board, myself included (a lowly 777 driver). "Here's the keys, bring it back in a week.. we don't know where you're going either, we'll tell you one the way. Stay out of the grass and keep the customers happy."

If you polled all of the former pilots working desk jobs in airline positions, you'd probably hear a lot stories about unfortunate episodes and events.

Just look around you! Were talking about the human brain, emotional, forgetful, lossy computers prepared for life by television screen writers.

Now that this incident has become national news, I have noticed that the number of bureaucracies scrambling to get on board has more than doubled since the initial news story.

It's not the huge deal that it being made out to be, they guy had a mental breakdown that was probably caused by everybody and their brother in government trying to force more regulations and rules into his head.

Now all those same people are all over him like a cheap suit trying to make damn sure that there is no way in hell that their agency can possibly be implicated in that fellows misconduct.

They are there to help.

John

It might be that he's just really susceptible to getting messed up by the gov't mind control beam.

Captain's only "crime" here is he is an arrogant ass that has a low post count, as opposed to several arrogant asses that have post counts in the thousands. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, but they are nonetheless arrogant asses that have no tact in their delivery.
That may be true, but that kind of attitude on just about any internet forum as a noob will get you tarred and feathered.

More than likely. From another board with some B6 folks, he is still under medical care and not making much sense as of yesterday.

If he does not get better soon with the use of medication and mental therapy then there is a good chance R&W is correct... If it is a brain tumor and or cancer I really feel for the guy.:sad:,,

My dad went from great to incoherent like someone flipped a lightswitch. Damnedest thing I have ever seen in my life too..:yesnod::yesnod:

Maybe he knew too much about the government super secret chem trails program and couldn't take it.

He also may not have been wearing all of his Personal Protective Equipment when he mixed up the last batch. I heard chemtrail juice is a pretty wicked buzz with heavy exposure. Our alien implant chips just aren't made to take it in those concentrations.

He also may not have been wearing all of his Personal Protective Equipment when he mixed up the last batch. I heard chemtrail juice is a pretty wicked buzz with heavy exposure. Our alien implant chips just aren't made to take it in those concentrations.
Sounds worse than agent orange!

From what I hear, airline guys are ****ed. Especially American Airlines. Apparently suicide rates are an all time high. With that said, I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing more whacky erratic behavior.

From what I hear, airline guys are ****ed. Especially American Airlines.

Unfortunately, AMR has been a very caustic environment for a while now. Long before the BK. Pretty bad when you know people on furlough who were recalled and did not want to go back.

Unfortunately, AMR has been a very caustic environment for a while now. Long before the BK. Pretty bad when you know people on furlough who were recalled and did not want to go back.

I know a few as well, there an US Airways.

What's the story between us airways and AMR?
Doug Parker of US Airways (who is still trying to integrate America West and US Airways.....6 years later!) has expressed interest in merging with AMR, but nothing definite yet.

If it comes true, it would be arguably the worst run airline in the US.

America West was actually a pretty decent airline. US Airways was failing miserably. Unlike the DAL/NWA and UAL/CAL mergers, when HP took over US Airways......all they got was a huge colossal mess and they still haven't been able to sort it all out.

Did the complaint get posted? I am guessing a brain tumor like the Austin bell tower shooter, or a biochemical disturbance. Poor guy.

Attachments

• osbon.complaint.and.affidavit.pdf
    203 KB · Views: 10
Did the complaint get posted? I am guessing a brain tumor like the Austin bell tower shooter, or a biochemical disturbance. Poor guy.

And the Feds are criminalizing what appears to be a medical or mental issue. While that action will almost certainly (especially if there is a conviction) have the effect of keeping him out of the cockpit and out of SIDA areas, I wonder if the concerns could have been better handled through the FAA medical process once the facts are known.

From what I hear, airline guys are ****ed. Especially American Airlines. Apparently suicide rates are an all time high. With that said, I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing more whacky erratic behavior.

While that may be somewhat true, it's not like the decline of AA (or any other major) is exactly a big surprise... they couldn't see this coming? Dunno...

And the Feds are criminalizing what appears to be a medical or mental issue.

I was hoping they were establishing a criminal case in the rare event it turns out not to be medical, or for public perception (not that I agree with such a motive)....when in fact none of it will be needed, and the case won't even be taken to a grand jury.
Reading what his friends and family say about him (solid, reliable, dedicated) it's hard to believe it won't be medical.

Yes this is just a formal step to have an arrest warrant issued. I'd expect that if an underlying medical issue is discovered and there's no malice anywhere, that the US attorney will decline to prosecute, and perhaps even void the arrest.

Yes this is just a formal step to have an arrest warrant issued. I'd expect that if an underlying medical issue is discovered and there's no malice anywhere, that the US attorney will decline to prosecute, and perhaps even void the arrest.

Why can't they make some of those more serious charges after the medical tests have mostly ruled out physiological problems?

Why can't they make some of those more serious charges after the medical tests have mostly ruled out physiological problems?

Why? First off you have no idea what information they have from the toxicology reports.

Why? First off you have no idea what information they have from the toxicology reports.

Assuming they even had one, would a clean toxicology report really rule out all, or even most, possible medical causes for his behavior? Particularly if, as has been suggested, he is still exhibiting that behavior?

Point is, I'm still failing to see the point of the rush for the serious charges.

Assuming they even had one, would a clean toxicology report really rule out all, or even most, possible medical causes for his behavior? Particularly if, as has been suggested, he is still exhibiting that behavior?

Point is, I'm still failing to see the point of the rush for the serious charges.

I agree. I imagine they have their reasons for charging him, but they're lost on me. Maybe to show the public how tough they are on... what, exactly? Mentally ill people who happen to be pilots? Pilots who happen to become mentally ill?

It makes no sense to me.

The only thing that's obvious is that the Captain is having some sort of mental health problem. Whether the cause is a brain tumor or other physiological problem, a mental illness without a clear physiological cause, or ergot poisoning from a pastrami sandwich on moldy rye (not impossible if he ate at some of the dives I know of near JFK), I think it would be pretty difficult to make a case for mens rea in this instance.

In fact, with the singular exception of the intentional use of mind-altering drugs (which seems extremely unlikely in Osbon's case), it just doesn't seem possible to me that Osbon is criminally culpable for his actions -- regardless of the cause of his break with reality.

-Rich

If he did take something on purpose, by the time they tested for it (blood, urine, whatever) would everything still show up? Who knows how many hours / days until they tested (or if they tested). Not even sure if he could refuse the testing, legally.

The FBI agent had to respond to the emergency. The FBI agent has to justify his response. Clearly there was a chargeable situation. It's not the job of the FBI agent to determine anything other than "does this look like a crime? Yes, it does. Therefore, unless I'm ordered NOT to do something, I have to go visit the magistrate".

This may look like butt-covering (and it is), but there's no malice in it. If the FAA could file a notice of investigation (and maybe they have) that fast they would have, and if there'd been a FAM on board then DHS would be doing the same things.

You are first charged (or probable cause is established) and then any extenuating circumstances are looked at. This is probably a normal order of things under any justice system. The district attorney will have plenty of time to evaluate all medical reports and determine what sort of charge bring against him in the court of law and whether to prosecute or not.

Last edited:
Anyone think this will change the ffdo program, or at least what the tsa thinks about it?

That article was terrible. The only incident remotely close to the JB one was the Air Canada incident where the FO went bonkers. Every other one was bad piloting (Colgan, which they got the facts wrong, icing had nothing to do with the CA stalling the plane), premeditated actions (Egypt Air suicide), or plain stupidy/dicking around (the Pinnacle FL410 stunt). The author is stretching trying to relate other incidents to this JetBlue situation.

Anyone think this will change the ffdo program, or at least what the tsa thinks about it?

Hard to say.

On the one hand, government bureaucrats in general (and those of DHS/TSA even more so) are loath to admit to mistakes, which is what they would be doing if they scrapped the program. So that's unlikely.

On the other hand, government bureaucrats in general (and those of DHS/TSA even more so) are fond of knee-jerk reactions, meaningless theatrics, and exercising their "power" in general; so I suspect they're chomping at the bit to do something to get their power and control fixes.

If I had to, I'd make book that they'll institute an additional layer of useless psych testing requirements as an "enhancement" to the FFDO program, and that it will be applied retroactively to present FFDOs.

-Rich

Hard to say.

On the one hand, government bureaucrats in general (and those of DHS/TSA even more so) are loath to admit to mistakes, which is what they would be doing if they scrapped the program. So that's unlikely.

On the other hand, government bureaucrats in general (and those of DHS/TSA even more so) are fond of knee-jerk reactions, meaningless theatrics, and exercising their "power" in general; so I suspect they're chomping at the bit to do something to get their power and control fixes.

If I had to, I'd make book that they'll institute an additional layer of useless psych testing requirements as an "enhancement" to the FFDO program, and that it will be applied retroactively to present FFDOs.

-Rich

That's where I'll take the bet. I say all current FFDOs will be quietly grandfathered. That way you have all the theatrics of legislating with none of the cost of implementing.

Back