Picture uploads too big?

Stewartb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
stewartb
I can’t upload pics. I get an error message. The same pics uploaded easily with the old sitewear. Am I missing something?

that thing's just under a meg, uploaded no probs

SV7dG8Gl.jpg

posted that with
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

iPad just a few minutes ago:

I tried to copy and paste a photo and got that "too big" message. But when I attached the same photo, it came through just fine.

The native picture size on my phone is too big. I guess I could turn down the setting to solve that issue.

I can understand not wanting to use up all the server space with photos... can the software not automatically downsize photos? I swear I've been on forums in the past that did that.

On iOS when you upload a photo, bottom middle will say Actual Size, you can click that and upload a smaller sized photo.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Switched from actual to large. Thanks for the assist.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpeg
    IMG_1676.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
On the desktop I'm able to scale down but I haven't been able to upload any photos from my phone. I never get prompted with an option for reduced size/quality when loading. So I just can't load anything.

... So I'm sitting on all these gorgeous Cessna 195 photos from OSH today that are doomed to remain on my phone!

Try it again, I just tried to up it even more.

FWIW, the pic uploads are under 5MB.
Idk how to shrink photos, but if there's an easy way to do it on mobile... I could try

iPhone adjust photo sizes
Click Attach files
Then click Photo Library
Select your photo(s), then click “Show Selected”

IMG_3659.jpeg

Then click “Actual Size” and choose the Size you want. Then click “Done” and then click “Add”. Photos will be on POA, up to 10 photos per post, you can inset a thumbnail (small icon) or the full image.

IMG_3660.jpeg

Just going to mention this is still a recurring problem. Never used to be an issue with the old site version but now about 85% of the photos I try to load get rejected.
Unlike the iPhone image-scaling option -- on my phone there is no work around it seems (Google Pixel). On my computer I manually throw it in paintshop and scale down the size of the photo.
It would be really nice if this was a solution here. These photos are no bigger than ones I've loaded for the past few years.

The message I see virtually every time I try to load.
1693501026457.png

On Android there are numerous image resizing apps available. I've used one called "Image Size" with good results on my Pixel 7.

On Android there are numerous image resizing apps available. I've used one called "Image Size" with good results on my Pixel 7.
Ahh, I haven't looked at external apps for shrinking pictures. I just kind of thought it would be integrated into the OS or available through Photos. Appreciate the recommendation.

Still hoping they can figure out why the server rejects these though when they're the same size as before.

I was going to ask the same thing. I set my phone to the minimum image size it will capture, and Im still over the limit probably 70% of the time. I have to be really motivated to open another app to resize the picture. I've not posted photos several times because it's just too much trouble.

I was going to ask the same thing. I set my phone to the minimum image size it will capture, and Im still over the limit probably 70% of the time. I have to be really motivated to open another app to resize the picture. I've not posted photos several times because it's just too much trouble.

iphone or android or other? I'm not seeing any of these issues but I use iphone and pc.

iphone or android or other? I'm not seeing any of these issues but I use iphone and pc.
Android. The way I currently have to post photos is let them upload to Google Photos, download to my PC, resize using PC software, and then upload to POA. I've looked at a couple photo resizer apps/websites, but they all seem to want rights to your photos. I don't care for the most part, but it doesn't seem like a fair trade.

Android. The way I currently have to post photos is let them upload to Google Photos, download to my PC, resize using PC software, and then upload to POA. I've looked at a couple photo resizer apps/websites, but they all seem to want rights to your photos. I don't care for the most part, but it doesn't seem like a fair trade.

and no interest in using tapatalk?

and no interest in using tapatalk?
I tried it years ago and didn't like it. Maybe it's better now... I don't like having yet another app on my devices when I can just have a browser tab open.

I tried it years ago and didn't like it. Maybe it's better now... I don't like having yet another app on my devices when I can just have a browser tab open.
Plus unless you want the ad-supported version you gotta pay $15 on Google Play and let it siphon off your personal data to god knows where.
Given that browser used to work perfectly with full functionality up until a couple months ago... I'm kinda hoping they just find a way to make that work again.

Can you set the photo size / MP quality on your camera ?

I still consider this a problem and am running into it pretty much anytime I upload a picture. I'm not always uploading pictures from a phone, and having to go in and resize them is annoying.

This wasn't an issue I ran into with previous versions of software.

Seems like 2MB is the limit. My phone on the lowest setting is a bit over that. I did finally figure out that if I email it to myself google will compress it. Again, mea culpa for not being part of the Apple master race. I will now go flagellate myself.

Seems like 2MB is the limit. My phone on the lowest setting is a bit over that. I did finally figure out that if I email it to myself google will compress it. Again, mea culpa for not being part of the Apple master race. I will now go flagellate myself.
The "gallery" app on my Samsung has a resize feature.

Interesting. Mine does not. At least not that I can find.
Open a picture, hit the pencil (edit) icon, then bottom right hit the three dots. You should get this:
Screenshot_20230908_132609_Photo Editor.jpg

Click on the "resize" button and choose your reduction percentage.

Open a picture, hit the pencil (edit) icon, then bottom right hit the three dots. You should get this:
View attachment 120441

Click on the "resize" button and choose your reduction percentage.
So that works on my Samsung tablet. I've never used the Samsung gallery app, instead using Google photos which does not seem to have any way to resize. Unfortunately my phone du jour is Motorola branded, who don't create redundant versions of every Android app., so I'm still stuck there. Being able to post from my tablet is nice though, thanks for the tip.

It appears that XenForo has this covered where it can allow large image uploads then resize them to max dimensions to save server storage.

Still a problem.
Getting image too large for server to process.
Android OnePlus 10t.
Agree with posts above saying if it's a pita to upload, pics just won't get uploaded.

Still a problem.
Getting image too large for server to process.
Android OnePlus 10t.
Agree with posts above saying if it's a pita to upload, pics just won't get uploaded.
Yeah, Ive given up, not going to try for a work around.

Yup, and by the way, I'm at Reno right now...

Back