Pet Peeves

I've always thought it to be archaic form, but I didn't know it was incorrect.

I don't know if it's incorrect or not, but it's defiantly a pet peeve. Now, if they would say "hitherto" or "heretofore" instead...

Went out to dinner last night. Bill was $13.00 I put down a $20. What do I get back... A five and a one. WTF am I suppose to do with that? Either an 8% tip if I leave the single or 38% service was good but not that good.

I think "instantaneously" is often used when instantly is correct.
Instantaneously refers to multiple things happening instantly

Incorrect use:
The house flooded Instantaneously .
No
The house was instantly flooded.

Correct use:
My balls caught fire Instantaneously

Went out to dinner last night. Bill was $13.00 I put down a $20. What do I get back... A five and a one. WTF am I suppose to do with that? Either an 8% tip if I leave the single or 38% service was good but not that good.

Sounds to me like someone already kept an 8% tip.

There, their, they're -- this one can be inadvertent for sure, especially on quickie board posts. But come on.

its vs it's - one is the possessive of it and the other is a contraction of "it is" - 3rd grade stuff.

use of apostrophes in plurals - OMG people, apostrophes are for use in possessives and contractions NOT plurals. I see TONS of people putting apostrophe's in plural's. It's not that hard.

Okay like, I went to the burger place right. Not some hole in the wall burger joint but an slightly upscale restaurant, you know, the type of place where a burger costs ten bucks for the stripped model.

"I would like the Downtown burger. Can you do that lettuce wrapped."

"Yes."

"Can you make it a double?"

"Yes, but that will be four bucks extra." (******n - it was twelve to start with, how much are you people going to gouge my expense account? No, I wouldn't eat there on my own nickle.)

"No problem. Can you ask the cook to make it medium rare?"

"Okay."

Well now, for starters, I didn't expect to actually get a medium rare burger, I expected it to be medium. I wanted medium. If they would have actually made it medium rare that would have been fine too. I would be happy with anything other than a pair of burnt hockey pucks.

Which is exactly what I got. I mean what do you do. If you ask them to remake it, all they will do is pee on it and wipe their privates off with the lettuce. I just drowned it in a cup of blue cheese sitting on the table and choked it down.

Re: waiters/waitresses

If you're paying cash...when they pick up the bill and your cash and say "do you need change".

I think that's the most rude and pretentious freakin thing they could possibly say and by doing so they just reduced their tip by half.

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. If I'm paying cash, there is the possibility that I've left the exact amount I wanted to leave and also the possibility that I didn't have smaller bills, so I'll need change. Why would asking if I need change be rude? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't and they don't know which it is without asking.

A smarter server would have given you ones but I would have just asked the server to break the five if I didn't have some loose ones.

But who carries ones these days unless they plan on going to a strip club, or they just got off shift from one.

There, their, they're -- this one can be inadvertent for sure, especially on quickie board posts. But come on.

its vs it's - one is the possessive of it and the other is a contraction of "it is" - 3rd grade stuff.

use of apostrophes in plurals - OMG people, apostrophes are for use in possessives and contractions NOT plurals. I see TONS of people putting apostrophe's in plural's. It's not that hard.

People who repeat other's pet peeves. :goofy:

BTW you contradicted yourself. First you say a contraction isn't possessive then you turn right around and say it is! ;)

Hence the reason the English language is such a joke (especially the Americanized version) and why many of us really don't give a sh*t when others make silly mistakes.

People that use incorrect radio phraseology.

"Can you repeat that please?"

"Do you wish for me to fire off another barrage of pet peeves?"

People who repeat other's pet peeves. :goofy:

BTW you contradicted yourself. First you say a contraction isn't possessive then you turn right around and say it is! ;)

Hence the reason the English language is such a joke (especially the Americanized version) and why many of us really don't give a sh*t when others make silly mistakes.

No, actually I didn't do that. Not sure what you are talking about.

And, by definition, pet peeves are things that annoy but that we let slide. :dunno:

Another pet peeve is internet tough guys.

Last edited:
I'm not sure to laugh or cry when this happens.

Scenerio: I am making a purchase.

Cashier: That will be $16.36 please.

Me: I give them $21.36

Cashier: "Oh, um... OK, just a second please." And then go looking for an assistant manager to make the change. Or they hand me back $1.36 and go from there.

Really. Cashier can't do simple math. Plus most cash registers will do this for you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure to laugh or cry when this happens.

Scenerio: I am making a purchase.

Cashier: That will be $16.31 please.

Me: I give them $21.36

Cashier: "Oh, um... OK, just a second please." And then go looking for an assistant manager to make the change. Or they hand me back $1.36 and go from there.

Really. Cashier can't do simple math. Plus most cash registers will do this for you.

Why would you give them the extra nickel just to get it back?

I was being interviewed for a job once and was sure I didn't want the job by lunch when the plant manager took me to lunch.

First thing he did was pull a 3x5 card out with questions written on front and back (as tiny as he could). First question out his mouth was "Merf what are some of your pet peeves".

I was irritated and my response was immediate. "One of 'em is being interviewed over lunch."

He quietly put the questions back in his 3 piece suit. They offered me the job (I declined).

Ugh, no, you haven't eaten real Mexican, you've been eating Tex Mex crap. If I want an enchilada, I'll order an enchilada. If I order a carne asada burrito from a real Mexican burrito shop, I get my meat, cheese, and onions wrapped in a flour tortilla that I can hold in my hands.

:yeahthat: - Great minds get peeved alike.

Another pet peeve is internet tough guys.

Another pet peeve is having to...

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 135
A smarter server would have given you ones but I would have just asked the server to break the five if I didn't have some loose ones.

But who carries ones these days unless they plan on going to a strip club, or they just got off shift from one.

Trivia : You could always tell the strippers when I worked at a gas station because all paid in small bills creased down the middle.

LOL. Not kidding. There was a strip joint a mile from the gas station and I did the late shift.

After a while I just started asking them if they wanted to exchange any other small bills for larger ones. We always needed more small bills in the drawer. Worked out as win/win for everyone.

I've heard strippers are now getting ****y over one dollar bills. Now they want fives with inflation and all...

I've heard strippers are now getting ****y over one dollar bills. Now they want fives with inflation and all...

That's one of the reasons they are losing business to overseas outsourcing.

No it's cool, that's how you use that. Plus like nobody else is tried too.

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 96
I like to waste time and watch fail videos on Youtube. I can not stand it when something happens and the camera person lowers the camera..Really keep it on the subject no matter what!

Here's an aviation related PP.... I KNOW most of you dinks are guilty.

Calling your airplane a "bird".

Uhhh.... did you notice they shorted you $1.00? Probably not.

Now to toast the pious among you.... People who have to include every crash/accident victim and their families "in their prayers".

I like to waste time and watch fail videos on Youtube. I can not stand it when something happens and the camera person lowers the camera..Really keep it on the subject no matter what!

Women's tennis is the worst. Although these days they wear shorts under their skirts so it really doesn't matter I guess.

Not guilty. I can live wit hoc calling it a "bird" but calling it a "her" or a proper name makes me want to hurl.

Now to toast the pious among you.... People who have to include every crash/accident victim and their families "in their prayers".

I look out for #1 and the list pretty much ends there. Then again I'm about as pious as Freddy Kreuger.

Lol, I agree with this. Btw, I love that you called us all 'dinks'. Fitting.

Lol, I agree with this. Btw, I love that you called us all 'dinks'. Fitting.

Well, I was just being funny (I thought) with the "dinks" comment. :D

No offense meant.

Back