Pet Peeves

I have another one.

People use the word instantaneously a lot when they really should be using instantly.
instantaneously is when multiple things happen simultaneously in an instant.
instantly is when something happens in an instant.

Then "I want you to get these three tasks done instantly" must bother the hell out of you then.

Q: What's wrong with this burrito?

l.jpg

A: It has ******ned SAUCE on it! How the HELL are you supposed to eat it?

Seriously. There is a reason I ordered a burrito. I ordered a burrito because I wanted to cave to my base animal instincts, and hold my meal in while I eat it. If I wanted to eat something with a knife and fork I would have ordered a ******n salad or a steak or something like that.

DON'T PUT SAUCE ON MY F***ING BURRITO!!!!!!!

Q: What's wrong with this burrito?

l.jpg

A: It has ******ned SAUCE on it! How the HELL are you supposed to eat it?

Seriously. There is a reason I ordered a burrito. I ordered a burrito because I wanted to cave to my base animal instincts, and hold my meal in while I eat it. If I wanted to eat something with a knife and fork I would have ordered a ******n salad or a steak or something like that.

DON'T PUT SAUCE ON MY F***ING BURRITO!!!!!!!

Every Mexican restaurant puts sauce on burritos unless you tell them not to. And a burrito tastes just find eaten with a fork. The problem is you've been too used to eating fast food Mexican at Taco Bell. :yes:

Every Mexican restaurant puts sauce on burritos unless you tell them not to. And a burrito tastes just find eaten with a fork. The problem is you've been too used to eating fast food Mexican at Taco Bell. :yes:

Negative. I hate Taco Bell and haven't been there in years. We have lots of real Mexican taco/burrito stands run by real actual Mexicans that make Mexican food primarily for Mexicans, and they give you burritos without sauce on them.

In contrast, the faux Americanized sit down Mexican restaurants that primarily cater to Caucasians are the ones that put sauce on their burritos.

Why too much profanity to be a simple 'peeve'. I suggest the 'I'm mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore!!!" thread.

:lol:

Wow.

I just got called out by Captain for profanity.

I have a paranoia against opening the microwave door before it shuts off without hitting the stop button. The door switch SHOULD turn it off before it opens, but if it doesn't, or radiation leaks out momentarily....

You aren't going to pick enough RF if the oven doesn't shut off instantly when you open the door to care. Now, if it doesn't shut off at all you'll hear about it from somewhere else in the house with someone yelling about interference to the WiFi network. :D

You aren't going to pick enough RF if the oven doesn't shut off instantly when you open the door to care. Now, if it doesn't shut off at all you'll hear about it from somewhere else in the house with someone yelling about interference to the WiFi network. :D

Speaking of this, the pretty well known discovery of this application of microwaves is this:

"It was in 1945 that the specific heating effect of a high-power microwave beam was discovered, accidentally. Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine who worked at the time for Raytheon was working on an active radar set when he noticed that a Mr. Goodbar he had in his pocket started to melt: the radar had melted his chocolate bar with microwaves."

It didn't hurt him, just the candy bar. :D

I don't doubt you, but what if the shutoff switch fails.....

The point, I think, was that the guy who discovered it was continuously exposed to the microwaves and it only melted the chocolate bar. So you'd have time to manually turn it off before death set in if the cutout switch failed.

The point, I think, was that the guy who discovered it was continuously exposed to the microwaves and it only melted the chocolate bar. So you'd have time to manually turn it off before death set in if the cutout switch failed.

Think about what might have happened if he had EATEN that chocolate bar. Then the results might not have been so benign, huh.....

If this is what you worry about, you shouldn't be flying airplanes! ;)

Au contraire mon frère, the worst that could happen flying is I could die. A microwave accident, on the other hand, could result in a horrid disfigurement of the penis. Have you ever seen what happens to a hot dog if you overcook it in the microwave?

I suppose this means I probably shouldn't point out that a smartphone in your pants pocket, with WiFi turned on, is a transmitter on the exact frequency of your microwave oven.

I suppose this means I probably shouldn't point out that a smartphone in your pants pocket, with WiFi turned on, is a transmitter on the exact frequency of your microwave oven.

Choose your poison. Enlarged left breast or big penis.

Maybe every place in NC, but that's not normal out west. You can get them, but they must be specifically ordered "wet."

Taco Bell is not Mexican, and any Mexican place where Spanish is actually spoken (and that's most of them) is fast food.

Just picked up some new shorts for summer with SIX pockets in them.
Headed out to get 5 more cell phones.

Hope this works.

Not the exact frequency. It works in the microwave range, but it's not tuned to the water resonance. If you hear your microwave on the cell phone, one or both is a POS.

The FCC actually prohibits them from sharing a frequency, and the physics wants the microwave oven to have a few times longer wavelength.

Raytheon was also using substantially more powerful emitters on their radar projects than the piddling 800-1400 watts you use to cook frozen meatloaf.

ATM machines that prompt for your language of choice.

Why can't that information be imbedded on the card?

-Skip

My credit union transmits that data when the card is swiped, before the PIN. Along with my preferred transaction and receipt preference.

My pet peeve is chickensh*t drivers. Specifically folks that need all three lanes clear for a half mile before they will make a right-turn on red. All you need is the right lane clear for long enough for you to accelerate to match traffic plus some reasonable margin. For me, that is maybe 100 yards of opening. At most.

My credit union transmits that data when the card is swiped, before the PIN. Along with my preferred transaction and receipt preference.

Why make it a required prompt ? Just offer the other languages at the login screen but default to engrish.

Why make it a required prompt ? Just offer the other languages at the login screen but default to engrish.

When I swipe my card, I don't get that prompt because I told my CU my preferences.

Ugh, no, you haven't eaten real Mexican, you've been eating Tex Mex crap. If I want an enchilada, I'll order an enchilada. If I order a carne asada burrito from a real Mexican burrito shop, I get my meat, cheese, and onions wrapped in a flour tortilla that I can hold in my hands.

It doesn't matter, the magnetron isn't focused on you and isn't particularly powerful. If the thing keeps running, just push the cancel. This is a little RADAR unit, not a nuclear reactor. If you notice your eyes starting to feel warm, now you have an issue, until then, forget about it, the sun does more to you every day.

This was the headline on the TV news this morning:

"Drinking four cups of coffee a day increases risk of death"

1. How so? Doesn't it start at 100%?

2. What about drinking any other number of cups of coffee a day?

The news stories that say X doubles your chance of death. Totally useless info. Big difference between doubling from 1 in a million to 2 in a million and doubling from 1 in 5 to 2 in 5.

People,

If turn left onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the LEFT lane of the new road.

There's one intersection near me where I always turn left into the right lane, because if I turn into the left lane, the guy in front of me is very likely to stop immediately after the turn to wait to get into the QT. There's a wreck there every other week.

The news stories that say X doubles your chance of death. Totally useless info. Big difference between doubling from 1 in a million to 2 in a million and doubling from 1 in 5 to 2 in 5.

You mean I can die twice or that I don't have to die? To the best of my knowledge everyone's chance of death is 100%. :dunno:

Here's a new major peeve of mine:

Random Web Headline said:

Yeah, the peeve is link baiting. When I see that I never click. Even if I was mildly curious before. If I gotta click it then you can stick it!

Last edited:
Here's a new major peeve of mine:

Yeah, the peeve is link baiting. When I see that I never click. Even if I was mildly curious before. If I gotta click it then you can stick it!

This one is actually pretty funny. I never knew being 'Rickrolled' existed. It was and still is somewhat of an internet phenomenon.

One of the notes at the video below said Youtube even got in on the act. "By 2008 Rickrolling became an internet phenomenon, and was an ongoing joke at schools and blogs across the web. Even Youtube got in on the action. On April Fool's day 2008, all the videos on Youtube's front page hyperlinked to the Rickrolling video.

Pretty fummy video here of Youtuber's reactions to being 'Rick Rolled'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H52TTCoS7To

People,

When you're turning right onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the RIGHT lane of the new road. If turn left onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the LEFT lane of the new road.

The California law is left turning traffic(if a single left turn lane) may end up in any lane they want. Multiple left turn lanes means the first 1 or 2 or 3 must match the lane but the last one gets any remaining lane they want. Right turns must always match the same lane(curb to curb, next one to next one) unless otherwise marked. There's two intersections I go through sometimes where I'm in the second lane from the curb turning right, and every time, even with a painted line on the ground telling people how to make the turn the guy next to the curb always tries to end up in my lane and I end up laying on the horn.

The California law is left turning traffic(if a single left turn lane) may end up in any lane they want. Multiple left turn lanes means the first 1 or 2 or 3 must match the lane but the last one gets any remaining lane they want. Right turns must always match the same lane(curb to curb, next one to next one) unless otherwise marked. There's two intersections I go through sometimes where I'm in the second lane from the curb turning right, and every time, even with a painted line on the ground telling people how to make the turn the guy next to the curb always tries to end up in my lane and I end up laying on the horn.

How's that work with opposite direction traffic turning right?

If South bound guy is turning left into any lane he wants then does North bound girl have to yield if turning right? Say they're both turning onto a 5 lane road...she just has to sit there because left turny guy gets to pick any 'ol lane?

That doesn't seem right but does seem right for California. BTW, I love that state. Best geography in the nation. Has everything with a nice climate to boot.

How's that work with opposite direction traffic turning right?

If South bound guy is turning left into any lane he wants then does North bound girl have to yield if turning right? Say they're both turning onto a 5 lane road...she just has to sit there because left turny guy gets to pick any 'ol lane?

It's fairly rare in California for an unprotected left, which means the right turning traffic has a red and must stop. If there is a green light for both directions without a dedicated green left turn arrow then the left turning traffic must yield to the right turn and any other traffic coming the other way.

Not the exact frequency. It works in the microwave range, but it's not tuned to the water resonance. If you hear your microwave on the cell phone, one or both is a POS.

The FCC actually prohibits them from sharing a frequency, and the physics wants the microwave oven to have a few times longer wavelength.

You missed the "WiFi" part. ;) Smartphone with *WiFi on*.

Back