Pet Peeves

When ordering at a restaurant and the waiter or waitress says, when you've completed your order " I'll put this order right in for you". As if it was an option for them to wait half an hour to put the order in, but they'll do you this favor of taking care of this right now. This happens all.the.time.

Waiters who dont write down orders and routinely get them wrong.

I've ranted about this before in another thread but there is a fairly new chain of burger restaurants where you order at the counter, take a buzzer and then pick up your order when the buzzer goes off.

"Give me a second while I call back your order." She turns around and calls back an order.

The cooks aren't listening, they probably don't understand what she said, and they are going off the order screen anyway. Plus half the time they call it back wrong anyway and I still get the right order because they read it back to me correctly and it shows correctly on the receipt tape.

Why do they waste time with that phony shtick?

I've ranted about this before in another thread but there is a fairly new chain of burger restaurants where you order at the counter, take a buzzer and then pick up your order when the buzzer goes off.

"Give me a second while I call back your order." She turns around and calls back an order.

The cooks aren't listening, they probably don't understand what she said, and they are going off the order screen anyway. Plus half the time they call it back wrong anyway and I still get the right order because they read it back to me correctly and it shows correctly on the receipt tape.

5 guys?

Because somewhere, there's a consultant that got successfully paid for making the company believe that this would make the customers feel "engaged" in the process with the order-taker rather than just another number on a ticket.

It's the same here as it is in politics - it's not about what works, it's about what makes them "feel good".

Last edited:
It's the same here as it is in politics - it's not about what works, it's about what makes them "feel good".
I have often heard the saying "Perception is reality."

Makes me grind my teeth every time.

17. People who use guns while committing crimes. It gives the anti-gun nuts more ammunition...so speak.
18. People who open-carry. Yes, it's legal, but it makes people uncomfortable and they know it. Again, it does more to strengthen the anti-gun nuts' position. Plus, it's just plain stupid, safety-wise, since it makes you a walking target for bad guys. If you want to carry (and I do) conceal it.
20. People who aren't good with numbers. And peeple who can't spell.
21. Or worse, people who use texting abbreviations in email or even regular conversation. Even here at the office I have kids (recent college grads) who put in business email things like "ppl", "UR", "OMG", etc. It's not like you can fire them because you'll just replace them with someone else who does the same thing.
22. The term "sheeple". I'm not sure why it irritates me so much, but it does.
23. People cursing in public. I don't mind a "damn" or "hell", but there's no excuse for "*****" or the f word in the grocery store or Wal-Mart.
24. I don't understand why Wal-Mart has 25 checkout lanes but never more than three or four open at any one time.
25. When the price of gas goes down fifteen cents a gallon two hours after I've filled my tank.
26. Being stuck for miles behind someone who is driving 10 mph below the speed limit on a 2-lane road. Yet once you get to a point where you can pass he speeds up to 10 mph over the limit.
27. Getting letters from my bank, AT&T, DirecTV, etc. advising that my contract with them has changed in important ways, yet there is no description of what the changes are.
28. Laws that require pasties.
29. The picture on the ice cream container doesn't look anything like the ice cream inside. Now there's something there ought to be a law to fix. And other food too, so that the food you see advertised at least somewhat resembles the product that's being advertised.
30. You should get a pro-rated refund when a service is out. ex. You couldn't make a call on AT&T cellular in our town for four straight days a few months ago. I pay $8/day for our cell service (4 phones). It's not a huge deal, but I feel like they owe me $32. At least.
18. Then why do cops open carry? An armed society is a polite society

I'm a Fireman/Paramedic... At the top of the list is hispanic people that will tell me they do not speak english and then when I get them to the hospital they talk to the doctor like it was their first language!

Second is when people have the "You work for me attitude" most of them start with the classic "I'm a tax payer and I pay your salary!" line.

OK...but I am a taxpayer and I do pay your salary. Just saying...we all have customer. My boss reminds me of it all of the time, don't know why I married her :wink2:

When it requires force of arms to have a polite society, it's time for an extinction level event so evolution can have another go at getting it right, because it's a sure sign we are a failure.

Don't extinct me! I can be polite without a gun to my head,

I am all for 2nd Amendment rights. But some moron walking around Walmart with an AR15 strapped to his back is doing nothing to further the cause or make our society more comfortable with citizens carrying weapons. It's just stupid.

It's the same as carrying a knife. There's nothing wrong with someone carrying a pocket knife or even a gerber or other utility knife on their belt. But carrying a broadsword around is guaranteed to raise some eyes and attract attention. Which is exactly what some of the more extreme open carry crowd are looking for. "Oh look at me! Look at me! .... STOP LOOKING AT ME I'M EXERCISING MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!!"

Attention whores are annoying as crap, even to those that agree with their basic argument.

My pet peeve: When someone uses really poor choices of words without being completely stupid. For example, my co-worker recently told me that a tank we were working with was "Kinda empty". Huh? something is either empty or it isn't. Instead say "There's a small amount left, but not much" or "It's almost empty". Using the phrase "kinda empty" is like saying your girlfriend is "kinda pregnant".

I had a lot to eat at lunch today. I feel relatively full.

Here's a peeve of mine. When someone uses an acronym once in a text and spells out what it stands for. Either it's widely used and understood so spelling out isnt necessary or its not broadly known in which case just leave out the acronym.

I get it if you're going to use the term multiple times in a body of text then the first time spell it out. But just one use doesn't make sense. Now you're typing MORE by using an acronym whose purpose is to type LESS.

Sorry oilburner, nothing personal. Your post just happened to remind me of this one...

Allowing texting would solve this problem for everyone.

But, allowing voice cell phone usage would be no big deal for me since I wear ENC (electronic noise canceling) earbuds at all times during airline flights. Library quiet!

Here's a peeve of mine. When someone uses an acronym once in a text and spells out what it stands for. Either it's widely used and understood so spelling out isnt necessary or its not broadly known in which case just leave out the acronym.

I get it if you're going to use the term multiple times in a body of text then the first time spell it out. But just one use doesn't make sense. Now you're typing MORE by using an acronym whose purpose is to type LESS.

Sorry oilburner, nothing personal. Your post just happened to remind me of this one...

I agree with you. It's an absolute PITA (Pain In The Ass) to have to read through the redundant descriptors.

But I have to tell you though, I personally find it more agonizing to read an Internet acronym of which I have no clue of it's meaning, and I have to take the extra time to Google it.

Anyone who starts a reply with: 'Thank You, that is an excellent question'

People who sign an email with "Thanks" when they aren't actually thanking anyone for anything. I may have posted this one farther up in the thread, but I'm far too lazy to go look for it.

People who sign an email with "Thanks" when they aren't actually thanking anyone for anything. I may have posted this one farther up in the thread, but I'm far too lazy to go look for it.

People who are too lazy to use the search function.

/duck

People who are too lazy to use the search function.

People who type out a reply point ing to the search function when a simple yes/no or parts number would have sufficed.

People who start their radio call with the word "Aaaand..."

I believe that comes from the AirForce. Story goes the "and" at the beginning provided a space to allow the crypto to sync. The Navy just told people to pause for a bit before transmitting.

Or...it could just be pilots pushing the button prior to formulating a thought.

People who start their radio call with the word "Aaaand..."

There was a time when this was required on certain radio systems, 99% of people who do it today wouldn't be able to tell you which radio that was. Kind of like 'cycling the prop' or 'pulling through the prop to check for hydraulic lock'.

I believe that comes from the AirForce. Story goes the "and" at the beginning provided a space to allow the crypto to sync. The Navy just told people to pause for a bit before transmitting.

There was a time when this was required on certain radio systems, 99% of people who do it today wouldn't be able to tell you which radio that was. Kind of like 'cycling the prop' or 'pulling through the prop to check for hydraulic lock'.

It's been a while but that sounds right. Until you heard some sort of feedback from your talking, you weren't actually transmitting. Wasn't an issue for clear communications.

When I dealt with secure comms I worked in CIC which was relatively quiet. You'd key the mic and there'd be a 'chirp' to let you know the crypto has sync'd. I could imagine that chirp was not audible in a cockpit or disregarded at times in the heat of battle necessitating a procedure to say "and" to help ensure the line was established.

CRM 114? :D

Seems a lot of people hit the mic when they know just the first few words of the transmission and intentionally speak slowly after that to let their mind catch up.

I also have a co-worker who starts every single phone call with the word "Sure"

I begin every radio transmission with "like, totally."

And sometimes end them that way too.

It's mandatory for approaches into KVNY.

Along with the IAFs GAGME, TODLY and GRODY.

Lol, I looked. Those aren't there, but TOAKS and BUDDE are! (Toak is a pot term and BUDDE would be 'BUD' which is slang for marijuana)

Lol, I looked. Those aren't there, but TOAKS and BUDDE are! (Toak is a pot term and BUDDE would be 'BUD' which is slang for marijuana)

Hmm...I've never taken a toak. A toke OTOH...

Those FAA boys need to learn how to spell. :)

And bud a specific type of marijuana: The bud---or the flower. Both the bud and the leaf can be smoked. The bud has more THC.

People who don't pick up on termination behaviors.

Dude I am facing the other way actually leaning away from you with my empty coffee cup in my hand slowly taking steps toward the break room. I even said "I'd like to hear more once I grab some coffee"

Yet you will not stop telling me about your evening.

I know 3 different people who are completely unable to pick up on another person trying, to end a phone call, end a personal conversation, or leave for some other purpose.

Dude I am facing the other way actually leaning away from you with my empty coffee cup in my hand slowly taking steps toward the break room. I even said "I'd like to hear more once I grab some coffee"

I know 3 different people who are completely unable to pick up on another person trying, to end a phone call, end a personal conversation, or leave for some other purpose.

I can't stand that. I usually lose interest in a conversation and want to leave generally after four or five sentences.

I have a guy like that at work. I have walked away, gotten coffee, and came back and he is still going on.

One of my other pet peeves is at home. My wife sets the timer on the microwave, but then pulls out whatever is in there before the time is up, and she doesn't hit the end button. I like looking at the microwave to see what time it is, not seeing "Please Press Start" scrolling across the front hours after she used the microwave.

Last edited:
My wife sets the timer on the microwave, but then pulls out whatever is in there before the time is up, and she doesn't hit the end button. I like looking at the microwave to see what time it is, not seeing "Please Press Start" scrolling across the front hours after she used the microwave.

HAHA
I do the same thing. I have this weird OCD thing where I have to stop the microwave like 1 second before it is done.

I have a guy like that at work. I have walked away, gotten coffee, and came back and he is still going on.

One of my other pet peeves is at home. My wife sets the timer on the microwave, but then pulls out whatever is in there before the time is up, and she doesn't hit the end button. I like looking at the microwave to see what time it is, not seeing "Please Press Start" scrolling across the front hours after she used the microwave.

I have a paranoia against opening the microwave door before it shuts off without hitting the stop button. The door switch SHOULD turn it off before it opens, but if it doesn't, or radiation leaks out momentarily....

I have another one.

People use the word instantaneously a lot when they really should be using instantly.
instantaneously is when multiple things happen simultaneously in an instant.
instantly is when something happens in an instant.

Back