Pet Peeves

My biggest pet peeve is people who have still not grasped an understanding of the cruise control. How can you continuously go from 60 to 85 on the interstate and not realize it?

My biggest pet peeve is people who have still not grasped an understanding of the cruise control. How can you continuously go from 60 to 85 on the interstate and not realize it?

Easy. Here's a problems I recently had.

The guy I'm following had this mindset;
I'm talking to my passenger so I drive 60. There's a lull in the conversation so I drive 85.

I had to follow a friend to our boys karate seminar over 100 miles away once. He knew where we were going so I had to follow him. He was also a County Sheriff.

So, me behind him...I noticed he would speed up and slow down. Then I noticed that his fast moments coincided with him not look at the passenger in the right seat. When he drove slow he was non-stop looking at the passenger. Drove me nuts as he was naturally a 'chatty' guy and we drove sub-speed limit most of the way.

When he wasn't looking at the passenger we were speed limit plust 5 to 10 and I was good with that. Speed limit minus 10 was not okay.

Easy. Here's a problems I recently had.

The guy I'm following had this mindset;
I'm talking to my passenger so I drive 60. There's a lull in the conversation so I drive 85.

I had to follow a friend to our boys karate seminar over 100 miles away once. He knew where we were going so I had to follow him. He was also a County Sheriff.

So, me behind him...I noticed he would speed up and slow down. Then I noticed that his fast moments coincided with him not look at the passenger in the right seat. When he drove slow he was non-stop looking at the passenger. Drove me nuts as he was naturally a 'chatty' guy and we drove sub-speed limit most of the way.

When he wasn't looking at the passenger we were speed limit plust 5 to 10 and I was good with that. Speed limit minus 10 was not okay.

Technically one could argue he was accidentally doing the right thing. If you're going to be stupid enough to turn and look at your passenger to talk, you'd better slow down.

Or just park the bastard until you can learn to speak while looking forward.

Sheesh. There's no social rule for eye contact while holding a conversation while driving. Put em in the back seat and glance at them in the rear view if you feel that compulsion.

Speaking of drivers randomly speeding and slowing on the freeway, this happened about five years ago.

I was driving on the I-80 heading out of the Bay Area in fairly heavy but moving traffic the number two of three lanes. Ahead of me was an older K5 Blazer truck - you know, the kind with the tiny back seat and the huge, non tinted rear window. Some random dude was driving and some girl was in the passenger seat drinking soda from a large cup.

Well the thing started randomly slowing and accelerating, not exactly coincident with traffic. I observed the passenger's head bobbing down (yes, I mean down there.) To my side was a large vanpool commuter van loaded with a bunch of dudes. They had a free and unrestricted view of whatever activities were occurring up front when the Blazer would pass by them and vice versa, and they were all laughing and pointing and indicating the "bravo Juliet" sign.

Without getting too graphic, you could kind of judge the conclusion of the whole thing when the head came back up and there was some action with the soda cup, and, well, the dudes in the commuter van were all high fiving each other and cheering. Definitely an entertaining drive. Although, probably a tad hard to explain to the insurance company if something went South, like dude hitting the brake or the gas pedal too hard and ramming someone.

So, I guess that's my pet peeve. Other people getting serviced on the freeway and not me.

Man, and I thought the guy I saw playing the guitar while "driving" down Hwy 85 in heavy commute traffic was bad.

When people spell "a lot" as "alot" it really bugs me.

If someone asks my name, and I reply, "Kris," and they write it down as "Chris," it doesn't bother me, they have no way of knowing how it is spelled. But if I send someone an email that clearly has my name in the "from:" field and they reply spelling my name wrong, I start to see red. To me it shows absolute inattention to detail, and it tells me that the person on the other end has very little respect for anyone else.

When people hijack threads.

If posting for help on a technical forum, it really ticks me off when some know-it-all starts trying to redesign whatever the scenario is, e.g., "Why would you do it like that? You should do it X, Y, and Z." If I had wanted someone to redesign it, I would have asked for it, but all I want is a straight-up answer to my exact situation.

Bicyclists who don't obey traffic signs and signals...

New hotel peeve:

Hotels have started this new trend. When checking in they staff behind the counter have been directed to come around the corner to give you your room key and show you the map. I assume it some sort of effort to make the guest feel welcome and present the staff as friendly and familiar.

Well, I know what the relationship is. I'm a customer and you're a business. We are not 'friends'. If we were I wouldn't be paying you money to crash for the night.

I don't like it. I do like a nice counter between me and the front desk staff. Keeps things professional.

Well, I know what the relationship is. I'm a customer and you're a business. We are not 'friends'. If we were I wouldn't be paying you money to crash for the night.

I've had that qualm about large Corporate meetings where 300 people are told they're "family"...

F*** off... you're not my family...

You're my job and my paycheck and it worries the hell out of me that there are so many simpletons eating this crap up in this room... y'all do realize the guy with the nice hair up there makes more in a year in salary than 5x the cost of your house, and his options this year he's cashed in are about 15x that...

Can we get out of this rah-rah session and go back to making some money now... or at least go home for the day? I'd get more done...

By the way, if you're my f---ing family, I'll be sleeping on the CEO's couch when my pink slip eventually happens. I'm sure he won't mind me eating his Doritos while I look for the next job, and playing his XBox.

I'll keep it real and not wear his robe... :) :) :)

Those rah-rah sessions are SUCH BS. It's incredible. The only good part about them is there's usually free food and sometimes free beer.

New hotel peeve:

Hotels have started this new trend. When checking in they staff behind the counter have been directed to come around the corner to give you your room key and show you the map. I assume it some sort of effort to make the guest feel welcome and present the staff as friendly and familiar.

The last time (well, the only time) I stayed at the Hotel George V in Paris, the man behind the counter came around to the front and picked up the bags, carried them to our room himself.

Absolutely First Class Service throughout.

-Skip

I've had that qualm about large Corporate meetings where 300 people are told they're "family"...

Similarly, my employer has a slogan that its employees are its biggest asset. I'm sure that is supposed to make employees feel good in some way, but when I think of all of the once valuable assets we've sent to the scrapper, parted out, or sold to some half-arsed overseas operation, I start to worry...

Speaking of drivers randomly speeding and slowing on the freeway, this happened about five years ago.

I was driving on the I-80 heading out of the Bay Area in fairly heavy but moving traffic the number two of three lanes. Ahead of me was an older K5 Blazer truck - you know, the kind with the tiny back seat and the huge, non tinted rear window. Some random dude was driving and some girl was in the passenger seat drinking soda from a large cup.

Well the thing started randomly slowing and accelerating, not exactly coincident with traffic. I observed the passenger's head bobbing down (yes, I mean down there.) To my side was a large vanpool commuter van loaded with a bunch of dudes. They had a free and unrestricted view of whatever activities were occurring up front when the Blazer would pass by them and vice versa, and they were all laughing and pointing and indicating the "bravo Juliet" sign.

Without getting too graphic, you could kind of judge the conclusion of the whole thing when the head came back up and there was some action with the soda cup, and, well, the dudes in the commuter van were all high fiving each other and cheering. Definitely an entertaining drive. Although, probably a tad hard to explain to the insurance company if something went South, like dude hitting the brake or the gas pedal too hard and ramming someone.

So, I guess that's my pet peeve. Other people getting serviced on the freeway and not me.

Ye Olde Joke on the subject
A car goes off the road, hits a tree head on..
Cop is talking to the driver "See how great of a feature a fastened seat belt is? You are safe and sound, unlike your girlfriend, who got ejected through the windshield and is laying in the bushes with a d__k in her mouth"

The last time (well, the only time) I stayed at the Hotel George V in Paris, the man behind the counter came around to the front and picked up the bags, carried them to our room himself.

Absolutely First Class Service throughout.

-Skip

If they come around for a purpose (like grabbing my bags) then fine. But if the 'purpose' is just to get closer to me to hand me something they could have easily handed me over the counter then count me out. Think of all the crap we've already passed back and forth...my credit card, their sign in sheet, pens, loyalty cards. Now you have to come over here to hand me a room key? :dunno:

When some dumn a@# takes thier entire family of 4 kids thru the drive through then sit at the damn window for 10 minutes passing out food and drinks to everyone in the vehicle then SLOWY pull away.

Have I mentioned the one where you're driving at an acceptable (and not ticketable) speed on the interstate, a cop is parked in the median, and all of the knuckleheads in front of you nail their brakes because, in their world, the presence of a cop automatically reduces the speed limit by 10 mph?

You're my job and my paycheck and it worries the hell out of me that there are so many simpletons eating this crap up in this room... y'all do realize the guy with the nice hair up there makes more in a year in salary than 5x the cost of your house, and his options this year he's cashed in are about 15x that...

Can we get out of this rah-rah session and go back to making some money now... or at least go home for the day? I'd get more done...

By the way, if you're my f---ing family, I'll be sleeping on the CEO's couch when my pink slip eventually happens. I'm sure he won't mind me eating his Doritos while I look for the next job, and playing his XBox.

I'll keep it real and not wear his robe... :) :) :)

Those rah-rah sessions are SUCH BS. It's incredible. The only good part about them is there's usually free food and sometimes free beer.

Ah yes, grasshopper, you are on the righteous path to owning your own business.

When I opened Business #1, I swore I would NEVER attend a meeting again.

Never have, never will. We're on Business #4, now.
:D

If they come around for a purpose (like grabbing my bags) then fine. But if the 'purpose' is just to get closer to me to hand me something they could have easily handed me over the counter then count me out. Think of all the crap we've already passed back and forth...my credit card, their sign in sheet, pens, loyalty cards. Now you have to come over here to hand me a room key? :dunno:

Heh. I hand out ice cold Shiner Bocks to our pilot guests -- and I stay on my side of the counter.

Top THAT service, McHotels! :D

Heh. I hand out ice cold Shiner Bocks to our pilot guests -- and I stay on my side of the counter.

Top THAT service, McHotels! :D

I don't believe I'd be able to find a 'peeve' with that to post about.

Wait, there's a peeve right there. I do like to complain!

:)

Ah yes, grasshopper, you are on the righteous path to owning your own business.

When I opened Business #1, I swore I would NEVER attend a meeting again.

Never have, never will. We're on Business #4, now.
:D

Umm, do you want to reword that?

It says that not going to meetings killed businesses #1 -- #3.

And what's the difference between a phone call and a meeting? Surely you must have had to work stuff out with your suppliers and customers.

Umm, do you want to reword that?

It says that not going to meetings killed businesses #1 -- #3.

And what's the difference between a phone call and a meeting? Surely you must have had to work stuff out with your suppliers and customers.

Lol! :D

"Meetings", in this parlance, are any pre-scheduled, organized get togethers involving myself and 2 or more coworkers/employees.

I spent 20 years going to meetings. After the first ten years, I realized that they were an enormous waste of time and money. Ironically, near the end of my life in the corporate world, nearly all I was doing was conducting "meetings".

Most meetings are chances for bosses to feel important and/or in control. Most good employees know they are neither, and intuitively sense that meetings are therefore unnecessary. This breeds resentment in the ranks, but only amongst your good employees, ironically enough. The bad ones look at meetings as a welcome respite from having to do any actual work.

There are darned few business reasons to justify an hour (or more) of lost productivity for an entire department, yet most big companies have weekly department meetings. The cost to a company is staggering -- yet because it is usually the meeting-obsessed sycophants who get promoted, these meetings are seen as "essential" to "communications".

Which doesn't fool anyone with a brain stem. They are a huge waste of time.

When people expect crimes to be solved like they do on CSI and other tv shows.

When drivers ride my a$$ so close they think I'll speed up or something...sorry folks I only go slower when you do that and I usually do some sort of hand gesture in the mirror and that usually backs them off. I wish there wasn't traffic but usually there is someone going slow in front of me and so I have to go slow.

I'm behind someone at an intersection and the person infront of me wants to turn right. However, the light is red and they wait until the light turns green to make their turn (with no traffic coming and no DO NOT TURN ON RED SIGN). People need to learn the rules of the road.

When running code 3 and motorist do not move to the right as they should when emergency vehicles are trying to pass.

When running code and approach an intersection and I slow, motorist think I am yielding to them, so they proceed.:mad2:

When motorist disregard the move over law...had a few scares:hairraise::mad2:

When running code 3 and motorist do not move to the right as they should when emergency vehicles are trying to pass.

When running code and approach an intersection and I slow, motorist think I am yielding to them, so they proceed.:mad2:

When motorist disregard the move over law...had a few scares:hairraise::mad2:

They're probably just texting. Make a mental note and when you're done with the run head back and scrape them up off the pavement.

It peeves me a tad when people don't move over when going straight at an intersection.

If there are two lanes, the left going straight or turning left and the right going straight or turning right then you have an option if going straight. The correct choice is the left lane if stopping for the light and there isn't much traffic. When there's a bunch of cars backed up it doesn't matter.

But when you are the only car stopping for the light and you're going straight why not pull into the left lane so the cars behind you turning right can be on their way? You're blocking up the works for no reason.

Also, this I suppose is technically a rule violation...but I see no harm...

If you are on an empty two lane road...good visibility and it's obvious there is no other traffic then why not move over when turning left to allow cars to pass by without slowing to a near stop?

Also, when waiting to turn left at a traffic light PULL INTO the intersection while you wait. When the light turns red the oncoming traffic will stop and provide you a chance to go. Two cars minimum can get through doing this. If you wait all the way back at the line then if there's no break then you're going to miss the light and you are going to be there all day as well as the ticked off drivers behind you wanting to turn.

I'm behind someone at an intersection and the person infront of me wants to turn right. However, the light is red and they wait until the light turns green to make their turn (with no traffic coming and no DO NOT TURN ON RED SIGN). People need to learn the rules of the road.
When I'm stopped at a red light and taking the opportunity to tune the radio or file my nails or watch clouds and some idiot behind me blows his horn because he thinks that turning right on red is REQUIRED.

When I'm stopped at a red light and taking the opportunity to tune the radio or file my nails or watch clouds and some idiot behind me blows his horn because he thinks that turning right on red is REQUIRED.

Turning right on red is not required, but it is the law. Courtesy, if not self preservation, means that you follow it.

Technically, it's legal to drive 45 mph on I-37, too, but I don't recommend it. :rolleyes:

I'd go nuts if the car in front of me could turn right but didn't.

Drive as fast or slow as you want. But STAY out of the left lane!! Slower traffic keep right!! This makes me so MAD!! :mad3: I wish police officers would right 50 of these tickets a day for people blocking up the left lane going slow. GRRRRR.. :mad2: ROAD RAGE!!!!!

I think I forgot my medicne this morning. :D

Last edited:
Lol! :D

"Meetings", in this parlance, are any pre-scheduled, organized get togethers involving myself and 2 or more coworkers/employees.

I spent 20 years going to meetings. After the first ten years, I realized that they were an enormous waste of time and money. Ironically, near the end of my life in the corporate world, nearly all I was doing was conducting "meetings".

Most meetings are chances for bosses to feel important and/or in control. Most good employees know they are neither, and intuitively sense that meetings are therefore unnecessary. This breeds resentment in the ranks, but only amongst your good employees, ironically enough. The bad ones look at meetings as a welcome respite from having to do any actual work.

There are darned few business reasons to justify an hour (or more) of lost productivity for an entire department, yet most big companies have weekly department meetings. The cost to a company is staggering -- yet because it is usually the meeting-obsessed sycophants who get promoted, these meetings are seen as "essential" to "communications".

Which doesn't fool anyone with a brain stem. They are a huge waste of time.

I couldn't agree more!! :thumbsup: Where I work they have meetings to discuss future meetings.

Drive as fast or slow as you want. But STAY out of the left lane!! Slower traffic keep right!! This makes me so MAD!! :mad3: I wish police officers would right 50 of these tickets a day for people blocking up the left lane going slow. GRRRRR.. :mad2: ROAD RAGE!!!!!

I think I forgot my medicne this morning. :D

If you do that in Germany, you will get a ticket. Germans take their driving laws seriously. There is something to be said for the German driving license costing thousands, while here it's something like $25.

I live nearly at the end of a dead-end street. It irritates me greatly that every single day several cars drive all the way to the end of the street to turn around, because apparently they are incapable of turning around on the street. Does no one else do three-point turns anymore? If these people can't turn their car around, go back to driving school.

If you do that in Germany, you will get a ticket. Germans take their driving laws seriously. There is something to be said for the German driving license costing thousands, while here it's something like $25.

Something tells me that the government (gubmint to some here) charging $1,000 for driving licenses would go over like a fart in church in this country.

Something tells me that the government (gubmint to some here) charging $1,000 for driving licenses would go over like a fart in church in this country.

Yes, well in Germany they consider it a privilege to be able to drive, not a right, like here. The fees for a license in Germany is over $2000.

Yes, well in Germany they consider it a privilege to be able to drive, not a right, like here. The fees for a license in Germany is over $2000.

That is the case in much of Southeast Asia, where car ownership is inaccessible to most of the population, and obtaining a license is expensive. Driving is for cabbies, truckers, and the economic elite.

Although this was never an issue contemplated by those people that originally founded the country, pretty sure they didn't want 'murica to be the same way.

I love Germany, but look at what they've done to general aviation if you want to see an example of what not to do.

Back