Pet Peeves

Oh, I got a flying related one. We have a stocked credenza with snacks and drinks. There is a drawer full of liquor and mixers.

People take the minis out and drink them (fine so far) and then put the empty mini BACK in the drawer with the top screwed back on.

You open it up between legs and think, "oh good...it's full" only to find out later from the next pax that the vodka bottles are all empty.

Grrrr

Oh, I got a flying related one. We have a stocked credenza with snacks and drinks. There is a drawer full of liquor and mixers.

People take the minis out and drink them (fine so far) and then put the empty mini BACK in the drawer with the top screwed back on.

You open it up between legs and think, "oh good...it's full" only to find out later from the next pax that the vodka bottles are all empty.

Grrrr

You have a liquor bar in your cockpit?

When you get to the airport at 8:00 am after leaving at 6:45 (and waking up at 6:15) only to find that the renter the night before left the master on and drained the battery so dead that we couldn't get it charging when we got a jump. Boo.

The FBO I used to work at had standard practice to always leave the 172's tail beacon switch in the on position all the time so we could tell if someone forgot to turn off the master switch.

The FBO I used to work at had standard practice to always leave the 172's tail beacon switch in the on position all the time so we could tell if someone forgot to turn off the master switch.

I do that still.

Why does the person who spent 10 seconds of their life calling the business take priority over the person who took time out of their day to actually go to the business? It does sorta irk me when I'm told to 'hang on' while the person takes a call and answers every single one of their questions. And when that call takes up all the time before the next call...well, rinse and repeat. Btw, I'm usually gone unless I absolutely HAVE to have whatever I'm there for.

Why does the person who spent 10 seconds of their life calling the business take priority over the person who took time out of their day to actually go to the business? It does sorta irk me when I'm told to 'hang on' while the person takes a call and answers every single one of their questions. And when that call takes up all the time before the next call...well, rinse and repeat. Btw, I'm usually gone unless I absolutely HAVE to have whatever I'm there for.

One "solution" is to use your cellphone to call them...

I do that still.

Us too. Makes sense to me.

Why do people who don't play by the rules get upset when things don't go their way?

One "solution" is to use your cellphone to call them...

I used to do this to order another beer at the "country club" in Harrison, AR when the waitresses would disappear for 15 or 20 minutes.

For some reason they never found the humor in it! :rolleyes:

I never mess with any food staff - it's risky enough your food will be highlighted in some 'look what the camera caught' show.

I used to do this to order another beer at the "country club" in Harrison, AR when the waitresses would disappear for 15 or 20 minutes.

For some reason they never found the humor in it! :rolleyes:

If you've ever seen Fight Club, you probably know now that you didn't get a "clean" beer.

Ooooo...a ***** session! How about some hotel pet peeves?

- The lady who calls in the middle of the night to do some "price shopping". I told her that we had a minimum I.Q. requirement for our guests, and that she had just failed. After hanging up on her, she actually called back to say "We got disconnected somehow" -- so I was able to give her a piece of my mind TWICE. :lol:

- The guy who showed up at 4:30 AM to check in. When he reserved he told me he'd be in by 1 AM. At 2 AM I called him...no answer. I gave up at 3 AM and went to bed. At 4:30 AM, I took his money -- and told him to never, ever, EVER come back.

- The guests who think that the "NO GLASS" and "NO PETS" signs on the pool fence don't apply to them. :mad2:

- The guests who flick cigarette butts into the parking lot, while standing next to a butt receptacle. :rolleyes:

- The guests who come back from the beach and wash 25 pounds of sand off of their truck into my parking lot -- using MY hose, and MY water. :no:

- The pilots who arrive in a $650K twin, in July, and then ***** about paying $149.95 for a room because last winter it was only $89.95. :dunno:

- The pilots who ***** about the availability of the courtesy car. Mary just sweetly asks them what sort of car the last hotel they stayed at provided for them? :confused:

- People who think debit and credit cards are interchangeable, and identical -- and are then surprised when they make a hotel reservation and have the amount of the reservation instantly frozen in their checking account.

- People who ask stuff like "your website says you're on Mustang Island, but your address is Port Aransas? Where are you, anyway?" (Port Aransas is the only city on Mustang Island.)

- Guests who ask for an iron. People barely wear clothing here at all -- what in the HELL are you ironing? Your bathing suit? :lol:

- People who cannot figure out basic devices. You know, the ones who set off their car alarms...at 2 AM...and can't figure out how to shut it off. Or the ones that call because they can't figure out how to play a DVD in the room. (Uh, "Input"?) Or ones that pop the ground fault breaker, and simply cannot figure out how to make that outlet ever work again. These people walk among us, and are in a constant state of crisis. :yikes:

- People who go the wrong way through our parking lot. All the parking spots are angled the other way. There is a big "WRONG WAY" sign. There are arrows on the pavement pointing the other way. Doesn't stop 'em a bit.

Gosh, this is fun. I could go on all night! :rofl:

I bet that pilot that arrived at 0430 saw you as the icing on the cake for a very long and trying day. :rofl:

I bet that pilot that arrived at 0430 saw you as the icing on the cake for a very long and trying day. :rofl:

There's a good chance that it wasn't a pilot. Jay said it was a customer, but I suspect his non-pilot customers outnumber his pilot customers by a large margin.

There's a good chance that it wasn't a pilot. Jay said it was a customer, but I suspect his non-pilot customers outnumber his pilot customers by a large margin.
I sit corrected. By the time I got to the end of his peeve list they started blending together. :lol:

I sit corrected. By the time I got to the end of his peeve list they started blending together. :lol:

Yeah, no pilot arrived at 4:30 AM in my peeve.

Sadly, pilots represent a pretty tiny percentage of our business. Any hotel that relied solely on pilots wouldn't last long -- there just aren't enough of us. :no:

Hey -- another pet peeve!

How 'bout some more?

- People who walk under a 3-story high neon "NO VACANCY" sign, past a chalkboard sign that says "SOLD OUT", past a laminated sign that says "Sorry, no room at the inn" to ask "Y'all got any rooms?" :mad2:

(Some day I'm going to jump up and shout "Yes. YES! We've got a SECRET room that we've been holding JUST FOR YOU! We've turned away dozens of people, and lit the NO VACANCY sign just to keep it for YOU! It's your lucky day!"

Yeah, that's what I'll say...)

- Local vendors who display their business cards in our lobby, and are so competitive that they steal the OTHER business's business cards while they're at it.

- The husband, wife, and 3 kids who show up on the island, on the Fourth of July weekend, at midnight, without a reservation, having driven 300 miles, and are stunned and angry when they can't find a room anywhere for 100 miles.

- These same people who, when they called 12 hours earlier, were told that our very last room was available for $159.95, and said "We'll think about it" and never called back.

- People who clean the trash out of their cars...into my parking lot.

- People who buy awnings, put 'em up at the beach, are amazed and ****ed when the strong ocean breeze shreds the awning -- and then leave the metal awning skeletons on the beach. Some Sunday afternoons there might be a dozen or more, scattered up and down 10 miles of beach.

- People who review us on Tripadvisor and say "Breakfast consisted of apple juice and a muffin. It was okay", making it sound paltry and cheap -- and fail to note that it was delivered to their room, and that it was exactly what they had ORDERED for breakfast. :dunno:

- People who trash towels for no apparent reason. Sometimes you would think people used 'em as drop cloths under their oil change buckets.

- Flippers. You know, those people who buy properties, hold 'em, and sell 'em, hopefully for a profit. We bought this hotel from one back in 2010, a father/daughter team from Austin, and have spent the last 2.5 years undoing everything stupid they did to this place in the 3 years they owned it. They did everything wrong, from using standard, galvanized hardware (on an island in the Gulf?) to using cheap, undersized air conditioners -- if they could do it cheaply, they did.

What's so dumb is that most of the time they saved nickels -- I mean, c'mon, a stainless steel screw is not that much more than galvanized -- but now it's an enormous job to replace them.

Okay, I'm done. This IS fun, though. What a great thread!

If ever I find myself tooling around the gulf again, I will have to get the name of your hotel. I would love to drop some of these peeves on you just to see the steam boiling out of your ears! :rofl:

"Hello, front desk? I need a change of towels in room 203. We needed to change the oil on our car and the towels were perfect for wiping our hands on. Oh - and you seem to have a lot of empty oil cans in your parking lot for some reason. What kind of a hotel are you running here, anyways?"

- People who trash towels for no apparent reason. Sometimes you would think people used 'em as drop cloths under their oil change buckets.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion!

Did they leave lights or avionics on too? It would surprise me if just the annunciator panel and some engine/fuel gauges would drain the battery overnight.

Plus turn and bank gyro plus 1 amp for the master solenod itself...

Paul

The wife insists that the cats have to be in the bedroom with us overnight so they don't get into her craft stuff that is lying around.

Every night, chase them around, round them up, herd them into the bedroom.

One cat in particular always wants back out. And the other night, my wife came through the door and one of the cats (Ella) escaped unnoticed.

About 5 AM, I wake up to hear a cat crying. Over and over.

I get up to see what is going on - it's Ella outside the bedroom door crying to come back in.

If a door is closed, they want to be on the other side.

The wife insists that the cats have to be in the bedroom with us overnight so they don't get into her craft stuff that is lying around.

Every night, chase them around, round them up, herd them into the bedroom.

One cat in particular always wants back out. And the other night, my wife came through the door and one of the cats (Ella) escaped unnoticed.

About 5 AM, I wake up to hear a cat crying. Over and over.

I get up to see what is going on - it's Ella outside the bedroom door crying to come back in.

If a door is closed, they want to be on the other side.

I know a lot of people like that too.

How 'bout some more?

- People who walk under a 3-story high neon "NO VACANCY" sign, past a chalkboard sign that says "SOLD OUT", past a laminated sign that says "Sorry, no room at the inn" to ask "Y'all got any rooms?" :mad2:

(Some day I'm going to jump up and shout "Yes. YES! We've got a SECRET room that we've been holding JUST FOR YOU! We've turned away dozens of people, and lit the NO VACANCY sign just to keep it for YOU! It's your lucky day!"

This morning I called up a hotel to get some nights for a weekend that shows as 'sold out' on the website. Sales managers said, no problem, we allways have some reserve rooms that don't go on the site. So, you may not do that, other hotels do.

On elevators: excessive use of the door close button. If you push it once the system knows it. There is no need to hold it in or push it repeatedly.

People who think elevator door close buttons actually cause the doors to close any faster. :D

Drivers who refuse to turn right on red.

Drivers who creeeep into the turn lane slowly and straddle two lanes until they are very slow instead of just getting the heck over.

Drivers who swing wide into my line before making a turn. C'mon...you're not driving a semi.

Last edited:
People who think elevator door close buttons actually cause the doors to close any faster. :D

Actually, sometimes the elevator doors at the office I'm working in this summer stay open foreevvvveeeer if you don't hit the door close button. Then again, sometimes they seem to be hungry and want to eat you. Though I think the whole elevator door close discussion happened somewhere up there ^^^ :)

Drivers who refuse to turn right on red.

Drivers who creeeep into the turn lane slowly and straddle two lanes until they are very slow instead of just getting the heck over.

Drivers who swing wide into my line before making a turn. C'mon...you're not driving a semi.
Drivers who creep forward at a red light and end up 1/2 way through the intersection to try to make the light change faster.

"thank you for calling National, for new rentals press one, to rent now press two, if you're renting press three, if you would like to rent press four, if renting is what you want press five, all others press six"

6, 'beeeeeep'

"other options, for new rentals press one, to rent now press two, if you're renting press three...."

Click grrrrrrrrr

Actually, sometimes the elevator doors at the office I'm working in this summer stay open foreevvvveeeer if you don't hit the door close button. Then again, sometimes they seem to be hungry and want to eat you. Though I think the whole elevator door close discussion happened somewhere up there ^^^ :)
I thought that was one of the "jerk" threads. :confused:

"thank you for calling National, for new rentals press one, to rent now press two, if you're renting press three, if you would like to rent press four, if renting is what you want press five, all others press six"

6, 'beeeeeep'

"other options, for new rentals press one, to rent now press two, if you're renting press three...."

Click grrrrrrrrr

www.gethuman.com can save many hours of frustration.

... banks. Increasingly, everything to-do with banks.

Just got a phone call from the bank. The sales person
said that I could do much better on one of my CDs.

Now earning: 4.325% APY
Matures in March 2016

She recommends:

- Paying the penalty to cash it in now
- for 0.4% APY for 5-years.

Why? Because, "rates may go lower." Good grief.

Last edited:
Businesses that have a pair of doors for their front door but never unlock both of them...they only unlock one.

Note: and not because of strong prevailing winds.

Businesses that have a pair of doors for their front door but never unlock both of them...they only unlock one.

Note: and not because of strong prevailing winds.

I've never thought that much about it, but you're right! Why do they leave one locked? That is a peeve.

When AOPA tries to get me to join their organization by sending me "personalized" emails that were allegedly forwarded internally...well, I can't really explain it. Look at the attachment.

That does NOT make me want to join AOPA. It makes me :mad3:.

(I mean, they're even trying to pass off the phone numbers as their own when it's in fact the generic number at the bottom of the homepage.)

Attachments

• aopa.JPG
    aopa.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 58
When AOPA tries to get me to join their organization by sending me "personalized" emails that were allegedly forwarded internally...well, I can't really explain it. Look at the attachment.

That does NOT make me want to join AOPA. It makes me :mad3:.

(I mean, they're even trying to pass off the phone numbers as their own when it's in fact the generic number at the bottom of the homepage.)

That is mega-cheesy.

Back