Pet Peeves

Going overseas for Uncle Sam then finding out upon returning that "Position and Hold" has been changed to "Line Up and Wait".

I'm not a 2-year old. "Position and Hold" sounds so much more professional. Who cares what the rest of the world says?

Just be happy they didn't pick Chineese as the common language. Line up and wait isn't so bad in that light.

#352 Anything that has to do with United Airlines.
#353 People who sit in an aisle seat, plant themselvess down, fold down the table and unpack their terminal bought dinner. When the pax in the window and center seat show up they get indignant and they hold up boarding until their soup, salad and drink containers are stashed back in the big paper bag.

Nobody thinks 16 is 15. We just don't care. If i knew one item over a silly limit on a plastic sign was going to tweak someone's beak I'd go looking for more crap to buy just to watch them go off...

It's obvious you don't care. It's too bad courtesy and civility seem to be out of vogue with many in today's society. It's all about what you can get away with. One item or five or ten over the limit, it only applies to the other guy. It's not about following a stupid rule/arbitrary limit; it's about showing respect to other shoppers who have limited their purchases in order to checkout quicker. I look at ignoring a limit in the express line as a sign of disrespect to others behind you. One item over may only be slightly disrespectful but its still disrespectful. I look it the same as sitting on a train while a senior has to stand, or not standing during the National Anthem--ie. boorish behavior.

It's obvious you don't care. It's too bad courtesy and civility seem to be out of vogue with many in today's society. It's all about what you can get away with. One item or five or ten over the limit, it only applies to the other guy. It's not about following a stupid rule/arbitrary limit; it's about showing respect to other shoppers who have limited their purchases in order to checkout quicker. I look at ignoring a limit in the express line as a sign of disrespect to others behind you. One item over may only be slightly disrespectful but its still disrespectful. I look it the same as sitting on a train while a senior has to stand, or not standing during the National Anthem--ie. boorish behavior.
It doesn't matter. The store ALWAYS puts the slowest clerk on that lane. It averages out the shoppers.

Note to self: Never, under any circumstances, go to a grocery store with anyone from PoA.

Carry on.

Going overseas for Uncle Sam then finding out upon returning that "Position and Hold" has been changed to "Line Up and Wait".

I'm not a 2-year old. "Position and Hold" sounds so much more professional. Who cares what the rest of the world says?

Assume the position...!

I'm impressed so many men here go grocery shopping!

My peeve: people who park their shopping carts in front of the stuff I want to look at, then when I politely ask them to move their cart, they scowl at me.

Last year the local water company sent out letters asking people to cut down their water usage to conserve the water supply. Six months later, they sent out another letter stating that water consumption dropped so much, they lost too much money and thus had to raise rates.

Last year the local water company sent out letters asking people to cut down their water usage to conserve the water supply. Six months later, they sent out another letter stating that water consumption dropped so much, they lost too much money and thus had to raise rates.

IIRC, Governor Moonbeam, in california whines about the same thing. When the state demanded people be green and buy high gas mileage cars, they did. When gas tax revenue wen tdown, he screamed for a tax on miles driven to replace the revenue.

Hold the close door button, while holding it push the floor you want - it should bypass others and go straight to yours. at least that's what I saw online.

Because the other people in the elevator will beat you up. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Terry

People who don't know the proper rules at a 4-way intersection. One idiot can screw it all up.

Yes, if you can't figure out how a 4-way stop works, GET OUTTA' THE GENE POOL. The guy/gal who wants to let several people go out of turn is not winning any love beads from the people behind him/her.:mad2::mad:

People who STAND on moving sidewalks. This isn't Disney World people...it's the airport and this isn't a ride either. If you're too fat/lazy to walk then at least gather you and your crap to the side so the rest of us can pass.

I'm amazed you guys make it through a day without popping an aneurism.

There's a awful lot of people left of the center of the bell curve. Once you figure that out, the world makes a lot more sense.

IIRC, Governor Moonbeam, in california whines about the same thing. When the state demanded people be green and buy high gas mileage cars, they did. When gas tax revenue wen tdown, he screamed for a tax on miles driven to replace the revenue.

That's curious. I've been driving in California for 30 years, and I've never paid a tax on miles driven. It would seem your prejudices don't match reality....

And the state gas tax has been flat (in cost per gallon, not percent) since the 70's, just like the Federal tax.

I'd have to say my pet peeve is people who make up facts to fit their politics. There is no excuse for it not being the other way around.

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to add a pet peeve:

People who don't understand the difference tax revenues and tax rates

I'm amazed you guys make it through a day without popping an aneurism.

There's a awful lot of people left of the center of the bell curve. Once you figure that out, the world makes a lot more sense.

I assumed this thread was about pet peeves, not things that cause high levels of aggravation.

Hope I'm not duplicating anything...I've never understood braile on drive up ATM's?:confused:

Hope I'm not duplicating anything...I've never understood braile on drive up ATM's?:confused:

That one is easy. Cost.

How much does it cost to add braille to every ATM, versus just the ones that might need it? Now how much is the cost of keeping a production line open/warehouse space/inventory control for two very similar product lines versus just one (ATMs with and without braille?)

The cost of including the braille symbols is close to zero, the cost of dealing with two product lines is significant.

-Skip

That's curious. I've been driving in California for 30 years, and I've never paid a tax on miles driven. It would seem your prejudices don't match reality....

And the state gas tax has been flat (in cost per gallon, not percent) since the 70's, just like the Federal tax.

I'd have to say my pet peeve is people who make up facts to fit their politics. There is no excuse for it not being the other way around.

Wanting a mileage tax and getting a mileage tax are two different things.

Waiting at a draw bridge. Especially when the bridge goes up for a boat that would have fit if the owner had just lowered his antenna.

People tying up the CTAF with completely unnecessary casual conversations. This happened to me yesterday when I was trying to announce my intentions as I approached the field. My CFI used to purposely "step on" people that did this.

People tying up the CTAF with completely unnecessary casual conversations. This happened to me yesterday when I was trying to announce my intentions as I approached the field. My CFI used to purposely "step on" people that did this.

I feel ya on this one. Our typical procedures are to call the FBO when we're about 20 minutes out. That's around 120 miles out. Sometimes we're going into a small field and the FBO freq is the CTAF freq. It's pretty obvious when that's the case as on the fltplan.com trip sheet the FBO freqs are right next to where the Tower, Ground and CTAF freqs are listed.

Many most guys will call 'in range' at the standard time. Problem is when you're 100+ miles out at FL260 transmitting on 122.8 that you're 'in range' and the 'passengers should have a limo standing by and we're going to need a GPU and will advise on fuel and do you have a crew car and blah blah blah'.

I tell each and every one of them the problem with this is you're broadcasting to about 85 airports right now. Why not wait until we're about to join the downwind? We can get the GPU and fuel and all that jazz. Besides, if the limo isn't there now what's the FBO going to do about it?

I don't get a lot of sympathy for my cause on this one though, I must admit.

I feel ya on this one. Our typical procedures are to call the FBO when we're about 20 minutes out. That's around 120 miles out. Sometimes we're going into a small field and the FBO freq is the CTAF freq. It's pretty obvious when that's the case as on the fltplan.com trip sheet the FBO freqs are right next to where the Tower, Ground and CTAF freqs are listed.

Many most guys will call 'in range' at the standard time. Problem is when you're 100+ miles out at FL260 transmitting on 122.8 that you're 'in range' and the 'passengers should have a limo standing by and we're going to need a GPU and will advise on fuel and do you have a crew car and blah blah blah'.

I tell each and every one of them the problem with this is you're broadcasting to about 85 airports right now. Why not wait until we're about to join the downwind? We can get the GPU and fuel and all that jazz. Besides, if the limo isn't there now what's the FBO going to do about it?

I don't get a lot of sympathy for my cause on this one though, I must admit.

Here is the paraphrased conversation I overheard yesterday:

Pilot 1: Oh hey Bill, how was your flight?
Pilot 2: Not bad, had a pretty good tailwind coming in. Pretty quick flight.
Pilot 1: Oh nice, it'll be a lot longer heading back. Oh man, definitely some bumps here as I'm passing through 2000 feet.
Pilot 2: Yea, it's a little choppy up there. It's smoother higher up.
Pilot 1: Beautiful day otherwise.

This kind of chatting went on for another minute. Guess they never heard of 122.75.

I have a four hour round trip commute, so obviously I have three driving related ones:

1. Drivers that sit at a red light, until it turns green, THEN they decide to check the glove box.

2. Drivers on the road in front of me that, while conversing with their passengers, look at that passenger and away from the road. They can hear you just fine, you don't need to make eye contact.

3. Drivers that merge into oncoming 70mph expressway traffic doing 35mph. The merge lane is designed to get your speed up so the actual merge can be smoother.

Fellow renters that reset the GPS/MFD to north-up. Why would you prefer this over track-up? I usually can't remember how to change it, and don't feel like wasting hobbs time on the ground figuring it out.

Fellow renters that reset the GPS/MFD to north-up. Why would you prefer this over track-up? I usually can't remember how to change it, and don't feel like wasting hobbs time on the ground figuring it out.

Got no sympathy for you on that one. Figure it out. ;)

People at work that call their husbands/wives to let them know they made it into work EVERYDAY! I don't mind (as much) when they do it in bad weather but seriously what did they think would happen - they melt on the way into work due to the heat?!

People that don't adhere to the dress code at work. No flip flops people!Yeah it's hot out but that doesn't mean I want to know where you are walking to or from!

People at work that call their husbands/wives to let them know they made it into work EVERYDAY! I don't mind (as much) when they do it in bad weather but seriously what did they think would happen - they melt on the way into work due to the heat?!

Oh, you know my parents? :lol:

Drivers who wait until after they slow down for a turn before using their turn signals.

-Rich

This one may go past 'peeve' because a little bit of me wants these people to burn in hell...but.

When you're on a two lane road (1 lane going each direction) and you're stuck behind some slow person or a truck. Then, after 15 or 20 miles, a passing lane comes along. I swear to GOD that without fail the right lane traffic increases 20mph when inside the passing zone.

It happens with such regularity that I think there is some sort of common psychological phenomenon going on.

My theory is that many people see the 2 lane road as scary and dangerous. On coming traffic mere feet away with 100 mph + closure rates...trees and signs to the right that are fixed. Impact with any of it to the left or right would mean death.

I'm sure their thinking goes something like this:
"I'm going to drive extra slow to be extra careful on this narrow road. It's sooo scary. One of those trucks could veer over and then what. 15 below the speed limit seems too fast. Oh, wait...here comes a big fat wide spot in the road. Well..., I feel MUCH safer now! I think I will speed up. Hey, whys that guy behind me trying to go so fast? Can't he tell I'm speeding up? Well, he's not getting in front of me...plus I can go even faster now that the road is nice and wide...heck, I don't even see any cops! Whooo Hoooo, live free...nobody's gonna stop me now....oh wait, the roads getting narrow again. Better slow waaaaay down. Gosh that speed limit is fast for such a narrow road. No way am I going that fast. Why are they honking behind me? Oh, he sees I'm 'number one'. I'm a good driver."

On the merging issue - it is becoming more than a peeve with me... We hauled the boat to Florida and back twice last year... It seemed every entrance ramp I went past there would be some lost soul with a begging look in their eyes 6 inches off the right side of my truck trying to merge sloooowly - as the guard rails were looming right ahead...

Because the boat is big and top heavy sudden lane swaps are not done... And because it is big and heavy having to lock up the binders to let some lost soul crawl off the ramp and into my lane at half the speed I am going before he goes into the ditch is not fun - and not good for my wallet...

It reached the point on the second trip, especially in the Atlanta area, where I had to do something about it... Sitting in a gas station the answer came when I saw a guy come out of the door with a new road map in his hand and throw an old one into the trash... (I use a GPS in the car)
I fished the old map out... Folded it just so, and hung it over the top of the window on the passenger side "to keep the sun out"...

Now I don't see the begging looks and the wobbly steering and the flashing turn signals - though I do hear some tires screech at times and an occasional honking (must be just married)... But, I am locked in cruise control, the Canadian Brass is playing, my sweetie is freshening my mug of tee and life is good... And who knows, maybe someday for those folks a narrow crack of light will dawn in their pointy little heads that the 'merge' traffic sign on the ramp means that the entering vehicle must merge into the passing traffic by gathering up highway speed and sliding into an available space - it does not mean that the vehicle already in the lane has to dive wildly across the highway, scattering other vehicles like a flock of chickens who just saw the fox, to make room....

People who stop at yield signs when there is no traffic.
People who stop in the merging lane.
People who drive slow in the left lane and don't move over. In Germany this will get you a ticket.

Is a pet peeve like a pet nauga? :D Can they be house trained? How often do you take one for a walk?

People that make something small a huge thing. Just got an email "Who moved the box of scrap paper that use to be by my desk!" Well I don't know but we better call in the National Guard. Geez.

Fellow renters who reset the GPS/MFD to track up. Why would anyone prefer this over north-up? It is one checkmark in the setup menue, something easy to do while taxiing, still why do I have to waste finger movement on it while they are clearly wrong and I am right.

Now, renters who switch off the ACL and the alternator field :loco:

When you get to the airport at 8:00 am after leaving at 6:45 (and waking up at 6:15) only to find that the renter the night before left the master on and drained the battery so dead that we couldn't get it charging when we got a jump. Boo.

Fellow renters who reset the GPS/MFD to track up. Why would anyone prefer this over north-up? It is one checkmark in the setup menue, something easy to do while taxiing, still why do I have to waste finger movement on it while they are clearly wrong and I am right.

Now, renters who switch off the ACL and the alternator field :loco:

Just a minor annoyance. I can't think of any reason someone would want it set that way. Must be something I'm not thinking of. I'm not calling anyone else wrong. I'm used to flying the planes with the KMD 550 MFD and I know how to change it on that. This weekend I ended up with the one plane that only has the KLN94, so I used the moving map built into it. I know I could have figured it out if I tried, but I didn't want to waist Hobbs time, nor did I feel comfortable fiddling with the clunky KLN94 interface while taxiing or flying.

When you get to the airport at 8:00 am after leaving at 6:45 (and waking up at 6:15) only to find that the renter the night before left the master on and drained the battery so dead that we couldn't get it charging when we got a jump. Boo.

Did they leave lights or avionics on too? It would surprise me if just the annunciator panel and some engine/fuel gauges would drain the battery overnight.

It is a pet peeve of mine that some people can't avoid turning even the most innocuous threads into opportunities for political commentary.

Back