Pet Peeves

Did they leave lights or avionics on too? It would surprise me if just the annunciator panel and some engine/fuel gauges would drain the battery overnight.

You know, I don't actually remember, but it was dead as dead can be. Couldn't get even a tiny glow out of the landing light and no noise out of the fuel pump. Nada. Rien. Nothing.

When I have to stop unnecessarily during taxi.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like many ground controllers wait for me to actually stop short of a runway before giving me clearance across it. Even when it's obvious they're going to want me to cross as in no other traffic and the runway in question is closed.

As I approach the runway I start to slow, giving the guy time to clear me. Eventually I come up on the line and have to stop. The second the wheels stop their rotation is when the radio sparks up and ground clears me across.

The sinister side of my brain is convinced that ground is just out looking for pilots to violate and they are actually upset that I stopped as now they'll have to play the game with another pilot. The compassionate side of my brain tells me they're probably just busy and didn't notice.

It does happen a lot though...

Pilots who don't grasp sarcasm if it hits them in the face.

As I approach the runway I start to slow, giving the guy time to clear me. Eventually I come up on the line and have to stop. The second the wheels stop their rotation is when the radio sparks up and ground clears me across.

Just one possibility: Ground controller is a jerk. You should really start a thread on that.

Last edited:
weilke has it pegged, on all counts.

Just one possibiity, ground controller is a jerk. You should really start a thread on that.

Aww snap! How'd I miss that? I've been looking for one too!

Well, in the light of Peeves, there's one of mine...when I miss the obvious.
(yeah, it happens a lot. I'll beat you to it.)

Pilots who don't grasp sarcasm if it hits them in the face.

weilke has it pegged, on all counts.

Is all this really necessary? I was talking about a minor thing that bothers me a little, that's all. It was basically tongue and cheek because I'm sure the other pilots have their reasons. I've already read through the PG for the KLN94 to make sure I can fix it next time. Yes, I picked up on the sarcasm, just thought it was unnecessary. I thought this was suppose to be a lighthearted thread.

From another thread:

2) Laying cement

Being in design, construction & property management all my life one of my pet peeves is...

People who refer to CONCRETE as "cement". That's like referring to BREAD as "flour". Cement is just one of many ingredients in concrete.

Akin...

People who pronounce masonry "masonAry". It's not "masonAry" just like it's not "carpentAry".

But more importantly...and this one is almost past the point of pet peeve with me...

People who sit in the middle of a drive aisle at your favorite grocery store or big box retailer waiting for another shopper to load up and vacate a primo parking space so that they can park in it.

They'll stop when someone else is just getting to their car with their cart and wait 10 minutes if necessary.

It doesn't matter that no other cars can pass in either direction.

They're there. Camped out, waiting on that primo space.

But what's more amazing is the size of the person that typically gets out of that car. Precisely the person that needs to park in the back 40 and get some exercise.

Last edited:
Asking the FBO two days out to try to make sure the plane isn't filled up above tabs. Then I show up with my friends and it's filled to the top and we're overweight. It's only happened once, and luckily there was another plane with less fuel to switch to. Now I'm reluctant to plan a flight where we'll be overweight with full fuel out of fear that it'll happen again and there won't be another plane with less fuel available.

Is all this really necessary? I was talking about a minor thing that bothers me a little, that's all. It was basically tongue and cheek because I'm sure the other pilots have their reasons. I've already read through the PG for the KLN94 to make sure I can fix it next time. Yes, I picked up on the sarcasm, just thought it was unnecessary. I thought this was suppose to be a lighthearted thread.

So sorry, it was meant as a lighthearted response. North up and track up are preferences the same as 'vents open' or 'vents closed' when someone leaves a rental aircraft after a flight. Unless the rental outfit specifies that settings on the GPS are not to be messed with, there is really no point complaining about it one way or the other.

So sorry, it was meant as a lighthearted response. North up and track up are preferences the same as 'vents open' or 'vents closed' when someone leaves a rental aircraft after a flight. Unless the rental outfit specifies that settings on the GPS are not to be messed with, there is really no point complaining about it one way or the other.

Fair enough. I was actually wondering the other day if there is any issue with leaving the vents open. Is there a concern for bird nests or something?

Fair enough. I was actually wondering the other day if there is any issue with leaving the vents open. Is there a concern for bird nests or something?

Teeny tiny little vent finches sometimes build nests in there.

I was just talking about posts 123, and 124. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Sorry.

From another thread:

Being in design, construction & property management all my life one of my pet peeves is...

People who refer to CONCRETE as "cement". That's like referring to BREAD as "flour". Cement is just one of many ingredients in concrete.

The one I hear a lot is "pouring" concrete. It doesn't really pour unless you let some f'in idiot add a bunch of water. Learn how to finish an 8 and then a 5-6 will be like a holiday.

Teeny tiny little vent finches sometimes build nests in there.

The vent door on a C172 is pretty big. I've heard of engine failures from bird nests in cowlings. My FBO tapes the holes in the back of the wing that are exposed when the ailerons are down because they've found bird nests in them before.

No worries! This is an imperfect medium.

I wasn't going to say anything about whiners...I just put up with them.

: )

It peeves me when people trespass into my private thread and post.

I wasn't going to say anything about whiners...I just put up with them.

: )

It peeves me when people trespass into my private thread and post.

And it's mine that people think the Internet is private in any way:rofl:

Misuse of 'to', 'too', and 'two'. And it's a double peeve when I catch myself screwing g it up. Usually due to autocorrect...but still.

The one I hear a lot is "pouring" concrete. It doesn't really pour unless you let some f'in idiot add a bunch of water. Learn how to finish an 8 and then a 5-6 will be like a holiday.

You're confusing it with the air entrainment process, in which case you're poreing the concrete.

Mine all involve things I see on a daily basis:

People who refuse to drive right and pass left.
People on cell phones.
People who don't wait for others to exit the elevator before they try to get on.

Mine all involve things I see on a daily basis:

People who refuse to drive right and pass left.
People on cell phones.
People who don't wait for others to exit the elevator before they try to get on.

This!

You're confusing it with the air entrainment process, in which case you're poreing the concrete.

Lost you there. I'm just talking about when it comes out of the truck not the batch plant. My numbers referred to slump not air entrainment percentage.:dunno:

Drivers who pass farm equipment attempting to turn off the road. This nearly killed me two days ago...
Drivers who fail to yield to blue lighters (volunteer EMS/fire/rescue en route to a call)
Drivers who fail to yield to emergency vehicles, and even pass them or disallow merge....like we're trying to commute? We need to get over to hop to the other side of the highway to cut someone out of their car...
Kids who "want to work," then complain that they have to work...AND they were given the EASIEST AVAILABLE JOB.
Parents who are blind to the big red horns on their kids' heads.
People who park in the fire lanes.
People who sit in their cars and eat their food and breakfast in a full parking lot while no less than 6 cars race track until a spot opens up.
People who dictate that they know what is best without ever meeting you before.

cigarette butts on the ground - especially on my ground :mad:

People who don't know the proper rules at a 4-way intersection. One idiot can screw it all up.
Or the corollary to this: The guy who has right of way at the intersection who decides to play traffic cop via a little "go ahead" finger wiggle on the steering wheel. Extra points if their windows are so dark you can't see inside the car in the first place.

Back