Pet Peeves

Complaints about the position of the toilet seat. Hey! I had to lift it up, all you need to do is give it a nudge and gravity will do the rest.
+1. I mean, c'mon. Some people act like it's a surprise that the seat is up. Sort of like being surprised that it gets hot in the summer....or dark at night.

To those that complain, I guess we don't have to lift it up in the first place. Would that be better for you?

Self checkouts have nothing to do with getting you out faster. It's all about not having to pay for extra clerks. The stores figure the shrinkage (read theft) will be less that the cost of a fulltime/parttime clerk.
I hate selfcheckout for anything more than one or two items. I would have said bag of groceries but that still comes out to two items. Them little plastic bags don't hold ****!

True, but when folks know how to use them, 50/50 around here, I'm out in much less time

My pet peeve is smokers sticking their cigarette out their car window in traffic.

Try riding a motorcycle in traffic sometimes. It reeks to high hell. I can't figure out how one of those things can emit that much stench at 30mph with 100ft separation however it does. It's bad and that's the ones keeping their hands in the car. It makes you want to roll up next to them and blast them with a fire extinguisher.

Try riding a motorcycle in traffic sometimes. It reeks to high hell. I can't figure out how one of those things can emit that much stench at 30mph with 100ft separation however it does. It's bad and that's the ones keeping their hands in the car. It makes you want to roll up next to them and blast them with a fire extinguisher.

The funny thing is that when smoking was more common, it didn't bother me as much. Now that it is more of an exception, getting a nose full of that stench is just awful.

Pet peeve of the day:
Someone who puts their social status touchy feeling image want to do nonsense over someone elses life threatening safety related vehicle repairs.

(I'm really beginning to not like humans at all again - Henning, any ideas how to set something in motion to eliminate the 80% portion of humanity? Or would it be easier to just dump me off on some uncharted island somewhere with the promise to forget where it was?)

Pet peeve of the day:
Someone who puts their social status touchy feeling image want to do nonsense over someone elses life threatening safety related vehicle repairs.

(I'm really beginning to not like humans at all again - Henning, any ideas how to set something in motion to eliminate the 80% portion of humanity? Or would it be easier to just dump me off on some uncharted island somewhere with the promise to forget where it was?)

Watch "Into the Wild" maybe you could do something like that and realize you'd get lonely without people.

How about living in North America and having to choose whether or not you want to continue in ENGLISH!!! Here's what I'd like to hear:

To continue in English press 1 now. To continue in Spanish, move to Mexico

> some people around here leave 5-10 feet between cars at a red light with
> the result only half the cars that should get through on the green.

Option #1: They're leaving the space so they can turn & leave if boyz from the hood
approach.

Option #2: 10-20' spacing can actually get more cars thru the light ... *IF* ... ALL
the drivers simultaneously begin rolling the moment the light turns green. Few drivers
know, or do.

For some unfathomable reason, some people around here leave 5-10 feet between cars at a red light with the result only half the cars that should get through on the green. I sometimes wish I had a Cat D8 so I could close up the gaps in front of me.

Cheers

That is about the proper distance between stopped cars. There is NO REASON that you should be two feet off of the bumper in front of you. You should be able to see their tires on the road. That's basic driver's ed.

1) if everyone has two foot spacing and one of the vehicles stalls out, where are you going to go?
2) what if somebody hits you from behind? Why turn a two car accident into a eight car accident?

The number of cars getting through an intersection has much more to do with people trying to squeeze through a yellow and getting stuck in an intersection than the distance between stopped cars.

Oh, there is my pet peeve. When traffic is backed up and people enter an intersection knowing that they won't get through before the light turns red. So people going the other direction have to wait through half of their green before the intersection clears.

Watch "Into the Wild" maybe you could do something like that and realize you'd get lonely without people.

Actually I wouldn't. My record for no human contact at all (solo backpacking, off trail, no humans not even at a distance) is in excess of 4 months and it was really nice actually. The longer it went, the more I enjoyed it. If that was Alaska, I would have likely stayed missing forever...

Lookup Dick Proenneke sometime. It's an interesting story.

full service ATMs.

huge pet peeve is these things. if you have more than one check to deposit take yourself inside the bank. the banks need to introduce 'express atms' in the US. you can withdraw cash only, you can't transfer funds or make deposits at them.

How about living in North America and having to choose whether or not you want to continue in ENGLISH!!! Here's what I'd like to hear:

To continue in English press 1 now. To continue in Spanish, move to Mexico
Mexico is in North America...

Pet peeve of the day:

Already done...:D

Here is what gets my headset in a twist....poorly trained weekend warriors

This is just from the past few days,

I'm about to turn a 3 mile base (tracking about 180kts over the deck), I do these from altitude, bleeding airspeed off as I go, I end up on about a 1/8mi final right on speed, from my base turn to wheels down, just over a minute

Well every once in a while you get some guy in a 172 or cirrus shooting a million mile 747 final, damn near full flaps... ok do I cut him off, land and clear the runway, well I get this image in my head of some 30hr a year pilot seeing my significantly larger aircraft doing this then proceeding to freak out and crash, SO I do S-turns behind these people burning hundreds of pounds per hr of fuel.

Personally when I fly my light single, I fly about a 1/4 out pattern, when I come in to a new non-towered airport I monitor the freq, cross midfield at 1k above TPA, and do a sweeping downwind/base/slip to final, the never slowed anyone else down, but I'm odd I guess

The other one, people like to be slow at the fuel pumps, they just sit there, it's like watching a movie in slow motion when they fuel, I had one old guy take his cowl off and start poking around right at the fuel stop, then these people look at me all angry because it's too loud when we do a hot fuel right next to them....

If ya are too slow and hold others up, send your license back to the feds and take up golf lol

Last edited:
Or would it be easier to just dump me off on some uncharted island somewhere with the promise to forget where it was?)
You'll need your Wilson soccer ball for company!

castaway-wilson-ball-logo.jpg

That is about the proper distance between stopped cars. There is NO REASON that you should be two feet off of the bumper in front of you. You should be able to see their tires on the road. That's basic driver's ed.

1) if everyone has two foot spacing and one of the vehicles stalls out, where are you going to go?
2) what if somebody hits you from behind? Why turn a two car accident into a eight car accident?
And it is also taught in every personal security course on the planet. If you are sitting just off the bumper in front of you, you have absolutely no where to go if the person behind you decides he didn't like how you cut him off 20 miles back and wants to pull your head off.

Cue concealed carry scenario replies in 3... 2... 1... :)

1. People that say/ask, "You know what im sayin' ?" or "ya feel me?" at the end of every sentence.
  2. People that don't reply to a hello!
  3. Women that clench their purse for dear life when I walk into the elevator or onto the subway and then run or speed walk (literally) at the first chance they have. Not offended (should have been holding onto your purse for dear life before I got on) but damn if you aren't obvious!
  4. Pants that sag worse than a Cherokee Six when 800lbs over weight.
  5. Thirteen year old girls in heels, a mini skirt so tight, and makeup that would suffice for a clown. More so the parents that allow this than the kids themselves.
  6. "And uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Cessnuhhhhhh 372AlphaPapahhhhhhhh is uhhhhhhhhh..."

There is NO REASON that you should be two feet off of the bumper in front of you.

My favorite is motorcycles that do that. They roll up inches from a huge bumper then sit there looking in their rear view mirrors to make sure the car behind them stops yet their only options are (a) the car stops and all is good, or (b) the car doesn't stop and smushes their squishy body into the car ahead with no possible escape options. IOW, zero survival options except for trusting a murderous driver behind them.

Army guys will recognize this:

People that say "Too easy" in reply to a request or instruction. Instant grinding of my molars.

Pilots that call airplanes "birds".

Gotta agree here. Tell me a story about you and your plane and refer to the plane as 'your bird' twice or even three time and I'm okay. But when every refrence is 'got in my bird' and ' took my bird' or 'my bird needed' then I want to vomit too.

For some reason it seems to be the guys who can barely fly their bird too. Weird.

It really irks me when people are waiting for the elevator and are surprised to see someone walk out when the doors open. Like it's their own personal elevator or something.

Army guys will recognize this:

People that say "Too easy" in reply to a request or instruction. Instant grinding of my molars.
Yes...and people who say "hooah." Especially civilians who think they're connecting or something stupid. Dude, one of my drill sergeants smoked a regular-duty E-4 for saying hooah...just talk normal!

Yes...and people who say "hooah." Especially civilians who think they're connecting or something stupid. Dude, one of my drill sergeants smoked a regular-duty E-4 for saying hooah...just talk normal!
Haha - I can possibly see it if you're active duty. It's just part of the language. But in the contractor community I see lots of guys that haven't worn a uniform in years walking around saying "Hooah!" and "Too Easy!' and all the other terms soldiers say just because they are soldiers. :mad2:

full service ATMs.

huge pet peeve is these things. if you have more than one check to deposit take yourself inside the bank. the banks need to introduce 'express atms' in the US. you can withdraw cash only, you can't transfer funds or make deposits at them.

You're joking, right? I have Bank of America, and they charged me almost $10 in monthly fees for no reason. It appeared one day, I called them, and they told me to switch to "ebanking" to get rid of all monthly fees. So I did. Then one day, my Mom asked for my account number to deposit a check (I work for her company on the side). About a month later, I went online and saw a $12 charge with a strange description. I called and they said it was for going to deposit money inside a bank. I was very angry. They said "ebanking" meant I had to do all my business at an ATM or online.

You're joking, right? I have Bank of America, and they charged me almost $10 in monthly fees for no reason. It appeared one day, I called them, and they told me to switch to "ebanking" to get rid of all monthly fees. So I did. Then one day, my Mom asked for my account number to deposit a check (I work for her company on the side). About a month later, I went online and saw a $12 charge with a strange description. I called and they said it was for going to deposit money inside a bank. I was very angry. They said "ebanking" meant I had to do all my business at an ATM or online.

I quit using BoA years ago when they started charging $5 for cashing their own checks.:nonod:

BoA was the worst bank I've ever used for fees.

um, but warbird is ok?

:)

If referring to an actual "warbird", absolutely. But those guys don't say
"my warbird this" or "my warbird that". Their class of airplane is warbird.

Heh heh. You guys shouldn't let that pet peeve show. Now I'm going to continue to call the airplane a bird just to drive you all nuts. Haha. It's my airplane, I can call it what I like. ;)

Heh heh. You guys shouldn't let that pet peeve show. Now I'm going to continue to call the airplane a bird just to drive you all nuts. Haha. It's my airplane, I can call it what I like. ;)

How is your bird DenverPilot?

not joking. BoA basically made sure i would never bank with them after they screwed over a friend of mine. they took over two weeks to process his paycheck he deposited. in fact his NEXT paycheck cleared before it did.

i'd still like the option of an 'express lane' ATM that does cash only. preferably in 5s and 10s as well as the 20s you can normally get.

Have slow guy in the fast lane or guy unable to maintain a constant speed on the interstate appeared in the thread yet?

They both peeve me.

not joking. BoA basically made sure i would never bank with them after they screwed over a friend of mine. they took over two weeks to process his paycheck he deposited. in fact his NEXT paycheck cleared before it did.

i'd still like the option of an 'express lane' ATM that does cash only. preferably in 5s and 10s as well as the 20s you can normally get.
Last year I learned that USAA was open to all veterans. Back when I was in the Navy, it was only open to officers. But in SC, anyone could buy their insurance, because of some law in SC. It was civilian friends who told me about it. But when I got out, and moved back to IN, they dropped me cold. So last year when I find out they're now open for all vets, I opened a savings and checking, and switched to them for insurance. At first it was a matter of just opening the accounts, and having it there as an extra place to put savings.

But then Wells Fargo started charging for my savings account. No problem. Account closed. Then I got a job, and I set up my direct deposit with USAA. Even though my new job was with a bank, I didn't open an account there, since I knew that in a few months RBC would become PNC. Well, when PNC bought us, I went ahead and opened an account. Put a small chunk each payday from my check into it, and forget about it. Good idea, right?

Well, now PNC is selling the small specialty division that I work for to Union Bank. PNC didn't hesitate to mail me a notice of what the fees will be on my account once I am no longer a PNC employee. So on Monday when I go back to work, I will be shifting that deposit to my USAA savings and transfer all the money from PNC to USAA.

My wife still has direct deposit at Wells Fargo, but after we pull the money out each payday that we want in cash, I ACH the rest to USAA, where I can pay all my bills with Billpay, and their site also allows me to transfer money either to or from the other bank's accounts. The minute Wells Fargo starts charging a fee on our checking account, that account will close as well, since the only reason we have it is to have a place to deposit cash if needed. As it is now, I can deposit checks into USAA at most any UPS Store, and before the check comes out of the scanner, I can see the deposit in my USAA app. The only down side is that I can't deposit cash.

Banking has gotten to be ridiculous. Charge me so that you can use my money??? I don't think so. USAA not only doesn't charge me a dime, but they'll refund me up to $15 a month in foreign ATM fees. Because of their goodwill on that matter, I try to minimize the use of ATMs with that account.

I have Chase with a free account but yes the bank fees are getting ridiculous. could go into why but that is spin zone material.

you did remind me of a small thing I stare at when the USAA Insurance ads come on. that little girls giant front teeth.

Back