Pet Peeves

People making "RPM" plural, as in "RPMs." Argh! It's revolutions per minute - you don't need an "s" at the end.

Last edited:
People making "RPM" plural, as in "RPMs." Argh! It's revolutions per minute - you don't need an "s" at the end.

Um, I get it.

1 RPM.

(sounds good).

500 RPM

(sounds good too)

500 RPMs

(yeah, okay. That's dumb) Who says that??

No way will I read all the replies, so sorry for the possible repetition.

1) ATM people in the drive through who don't their crap ready. They pull up THEN start filling out a deposit slip.

2) Cars need to use blinkers. Message to A-holes... If you're going to cut me off like a d-head, please use your blinker so I can get out of your way.

No way will I read all the replies, so sorry for the possible repetition.

1) ATM people in the drive through who don't their crap ready. They pull up THEN start filling out a deposit slip.

2) Cars need to use blinkers. Message to A-holes... If you're going to cut me off like a d-head, please use your blinker so I can get out of your way.

My bestest thread ever. It was my second best but then management killed my bestest home and it died...so now this is best!

Yeah...I start yelling to myself behind the ATM fool, "YOU CAN'T APPLY FOR A LOAN HERE!!!!"

It never does any good, but I know what you mean. You see them swip their card like eight times....sad really. Just please get out of the way? I got kids to get to Karate after I pick up the dry cleaning...no time for this. Sorry you're broke.

What about in the context of multiple engines?

"Those two Lycoming IO 360 engines in my Seneca cruise nicely at 2400 RPMs."

Airlines bring out the absolute worst in human behavior.
Me-first jackarses.

If trump is elected, this going to get worse. He's a bully, and more people are going to think that you can get ahead by bullying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The things that rub me raw here:
1. Posts completely unrelated to the thread discussion
2. HangErs. Those are for clothes. Airplanes go into hangArs.
3. Prices are not "250$"! Get it right, it's "$250".
4. We won't go into bad grammar. As much as my iPad does to screw up my spelling, substituting completely different words (and sometimes multiple words instead of one), I'll pass on that, too.

The things that rub me raw here:
1. Posts completely unrelated to the thread discussion
2. HangErs. Those are for clothes. Airplanes go into hangArs.
3. Prices are not "250$"! Get it right, it's "$250".
4. We won't go into bad grammar. As much as my iPad does to screw up my spelling, substituting completely different words (and sometimes multiple words instead of one), I'll pass on that, too.

So what about the steak?

I mean, is it "Hangar Steak" or "Hanger Steak?"

Usually it's "ribeye steak," although sometimes it's "T-bone steak" or "sirloin steak" depending on how I feel. Every now and then it's "filet mignon" but so far neither "hanger steak" nor "hangar steak" has found it's way to my grill. :D

I mean, is it "Hangar Steak" or "Hanger Steak?"

Hanger steak according to Wikipedia.
"Hanger steak resembles flank steak in texture and flavor. It is a vaguely V-shaped pair of muscles with a long inedible membrane running down the middle. The hanger steak is usually the most tender cut on an animal, and is best marinated and cooked quickly over high heat (grilled or broiled) and served rare or medium rare to avoid toughness."

Hanger steak according to Wikipedia.
"Hanger steak resembles flank steak in texture and flavor. It is a vaguely V-shaped pair of muscles with a long inedible membrane running down the middle. The hanger steak is usually the most tender cut on an animal, and is best marinated and cooked quickly over high heat (grilled or broiled) and served rare or medium rare to avoid toughness."

Yes but the question is what is the proper spelling. I've seen it both ways. "Hanger" is more predominant but both are out there.

This politically correct world is annoying me. There was a co-worker who was delicious smelling. Young enough to be my kid. I realized it I said something it'd probably be sexual harassment of something. Grr

I don't understand. What is "delicious smelling?" Are you saying he/she smelled like bacon?

Delicious is whatever you think is good.

People that complain about their job on Facebook or at the job. Sweetie your a dime a dozen companies don't care. Ignoramus #1 said "bye bye company name I won't miss you" sure she's going to have a baby and then going to sell insurance so she claims she doesn't care. But she doesn't know that the quick 2 week course to sell insurance doesn't tell you you'll have to go to friends/family to get sales.

Ignoramus #2 "I'm going to leave and help my boyfriend with his shop then come back when it's busy season" sound like a reasonable plan except 100000 of people apply at busy season. I said change your availability so you work here 1 or 2 days and hold your spot. She always claims she can't do more then 25 hours so she can get disability or something so I don't know what to believe.

Oh yeah get off my lawn!!!!!!!

I took my truck to the dealership a while back because the anti-theft system was locking me out. The service advisor called me to say it also needed front brakes, at a cost of $200. I told him thanks, but I'd change them myself. I bought the pads and finally got around to changing them yesterday. Only when I pulled the calipers the pads were about 90%- almost new. I checked the other side, and as expected, about the same. So I took a picture and emailed the service manager this morning saying I could no longer trust them.

upload_2016-3-28_10-3-50.png

I took my truck to the dealership a while back because the anti-theft system was locking me out. The service advisor called me to say it also needed front brakes, at a cost of $200. I told him thanks, but I'd change them myself. I bought the pads and finally got around to changing them yesterday. Only when I pulled the calipers the pads were about 90%- almost new. I checked the other side, and as expected, about the same. So I took a picture and emailed the service manager this morning saying I could no longer trust them.

View attachment 44762

That's some B.S. right there.
Curious to hear their response.

View attachment 44762

I would complain to the BBB, put them on yelp, and anything else similar I could find. Bastards!

Last spring my wife took her truck in for service at the dealer. They told her she needed all brake rotors and calipers... 1500 dollars worth. She said no thanks, I have a husband. I pulled them that weekend, all I could see was needed new pads. Rotors and calipers were fine. 35 dollars later she was back on the road. Pulled them last weekend after a trip to Florida just to check their condition, the pads are hardly worn and it stops great! Some people you just can not trust.

Ford dealer in Castle Rock, CO broke my wife's right front caliper so badly it had to be replaced doing a brake job on her Lincoln LT. Tried to charge us full retail for the new one, too.

Another private shop got lazy and ordered the regular Ford heater core because most parts on a Lincoln LT are standard F-150 parts, and went through the trouble to completely remove the steering wheel and dash to replace the leaking one -- with the wrong one -- and guess what it did 2 hours after we drove it off? Leaked.

They got the joy of pulling the entire dash out again to put the Lincoln version in, for free. It costs money not to read the books I guess.

I'd rather wrench on them myself whenever possible. Shops are a disaster of shoddy work these days, doesn't matter if you go to the dealership or a private one, unless you have a mechanic you know and trust.

I have one for Dodge diesels, thanks to @gkainz but that's all he will work on.

"Shops are a disaster of shoddy work these days . . ." because they don't hire and train mechanics, they want part changers instead.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have a good shop to handle things I don't want to tackle. Known the owner for a long time and he know better than to try to pull the wool........
Dealerships never see me.

We have this contractor in our office that wears too much of a really nasty smelling perfume. It lingers 5 minutes after she leaves your office. I came out of the gym this morning, and I could follow her tracks with the stench she left behind.

My worst was when our water heater stopped working. Guy came out from a plumbing company, basically took a quick look and said replacement was the only viable option, at about $800 installed. I initially gave the go-ahead, then stopped to consider and called back and said I'd shop around, since I thought I had seem similar water heaters at Home Depot for less.

Called a friend and he said he'd come over and take a look. Long story short, a new heating element, plus the tool needed for install, got the water heater working again for about $35.

I really thought what the plumbing company did bordered on fraud, but I never got around to following up - I should have.

If it's 5:30am and we're in the van to the airport, I'm not ready to do anything except sip my coffee and stare out the window as my body slowly wakes itself up. I don't want to hear about how you traded some trip for an extra three hours of pay. I don't want to hear about your *%^&ing cats. I don't want to hear about what the airline was like when you were hired into the DC-3. There's a reason everyone else in the van is dead silent. My FO is about to open the van door and toss himself onto the interstate to end the pain. Holy crap - please please PLEASE shut the **** up!

Sigh...is FedEx hiring? ;)

If it's 5:30am and we're in the van to the airport, I'm not ready to do anything except sip my coffee and stare out the window as my body slowly wakes itself up. I don't want to hear about how you traded some trip for an extra three hours of pay. I don't want to hear about your *%^&ing cats. I don't want to hear about what the airline was like when you were hired into the DC-3. There's a reason everyone else in the van is dead silent. My FO is about to open the van door and toss himself onto the interstate to end the pain. Holy crap - please please PLEASE shut the **** up!

I will trade you for 3.5 months of non-flying as a CFI due to lack of students. :)

David

I will trade you for 3.5 months of non-flying as a CFI due to lack of students. :)

I'll tell you, by the time we got to the airport curb, I might have taken you up on that. :) Clearly I'm not a morning person. Heh!

My worst was when our water heater stopped working. Guy came out from a plumbing company, basically took a quick look and said replacement was the only viable option, at about $800 installed.

I wasn't there (obviously) but perhaps your plumber took one look at the old one and concluded from its age and his experience that its time to failure (i.e., leaking) was short and you would be better off with a new one. Or perhaps not, as you suggest. Around these parts you have trouble selling a single family home with a water heater much over 10 years of age for this reason. What kind of crap metal do they make these things out of these days, anyway?

We have this contractor in our office that wears too much of a really nasty smelling perfume. It lingers 5 minutes after she leaves your office. I came out of the gym this morning, and I could follow her tracks with the stench she left behind.
tell me you're joking. I could sniff hooker perfume all day long.

So this is what I have to look forward to?!

I really like the new forum software, but it does have on annoying feature. For some reason I seem to be accidentally clicking on the wrong forum when I post a reply.

I just turned @SixPapaCharlie's Bravo thread into another Pet Peeves thread.

Back